Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

Game Mechanics Various Little Combat Improvements

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by AcadeeAlkana, May 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AcadeeAlkana

AcadeeAlkana Maiden Voyage Dev HERO

Minecraft:
    Note: All of these are from the perspective of a very rusty player.

In-Game Bestiary
    Having an in-game bestiary would be really nice for various reasons.
    1. Adding lore on the various Bosses and enemies
    2. Letting players access more information in-game, because having Wynndata and Minecraft running at the same time can feel pretty inconvenient sometimes (never open Wynndata = can't check a monster's stats, but have Wynndata open for too long = you die to mobs that spawn nearby)
    3. It'd be a cool idea to have "you" or a fortune teller or something who predicts what resistances/weaknesses are good in certain regions ()
    • An NPC in town/by the Bank will identify the stats of a mob if you give enough of that mob's drops to them (or once you've killed enough of that mob)
    • Each Bestiary Point grants you a permanent EXP boost from every source and Loot Bonus for every mob (EXP boosts are shared between your Classes; you can toggle off the boost if you want to)

Weapon Weathercast
    • Program run by an NPC on certain days of the week that makes random Weapons from each region more likely to drop
    • Weekends boost the chances for ALL Weapons to drop (does not include Legendaries/Mythics)
    Chest Refresh Tokens
    • Dropped by mobs
    • Can only be used in the regions they were dropped in
    • Items obtained from Boosted Chests cannot be Auctioned or traded with other players; this mechanic is supposed to help casual players get through the grind a bit faster
    Quest Points
    • Gain Quest Points by clearing Quests
    • Quest Points can be spent on various little upgrades (EXP, Sprint, Second Spell Distance, etc.)

More Damage Noises
    • QoL for combat
    • Crits should have their own sound
    • There should be a unique (and HEARABLE) sound effect for when an attack does less damage than usual (IE: the victim has significant Elemental Resistances)
    • If possible, having 5 different noises for Element-based hits would be nice, too (not getting distinct feedback from Elemental attacks is a big reason why elemental damage feels like stats on a stick; Neutral damage can remain the same)

Toggle Between 2nd/3rd Person
    • Makes cutscenes slightly less awkard (what is this, a Minecraft MMORPG or an old Undertale fanfic? XP)
    • Some Dungeon Masters refer to the character in question as opposed to directly addressing the player controlling their victi-AHEM, D&D character; it'd help a bit with immersion when
    • Example using my own name: "You were knocked out..." -> "Acadee was knocked out..."
    Spell Cancelling
    • Switching to a hotbar slot without your Class' Weapon type instantly cancels the casting process
    • IE: Wand -> Wand as Mage keeps the cast,
    Unlock Abilities Early
    • Spend extra AP to skip the pre-requisites of an Ability
    • Don't have the previous Ability ()
    • This doesn't work for things such as getting Escape Artist without Escape, but it will let you override X/Y Archetype Points needed
    Disable/Skip Abilities
    • Right Click to Disable an Ability, letting you skip it entirely
    • Only costs 1 AP, but you don't get the benefits of the Disabled Ability
    Classic Classes
    • Would be available to everyone, so that anyone can appreciate the old days
    • Gives you your Class' old Spells, pre-2.0 graphics and all (though emulated using the 2.0 combat program)
    • The Pre-2.0 Classes' Spell-sets are more versatile, but the Ability Tree is better for specialization and forced playstyles
    • If you don't like Archetypes, you wouldn't need to use them; they have their ups and downs
    • Cannot access or activate Abilities in the Ability Tree when using the Classic Spell-set
    Allow Spell Spam (...With A Catch!)
    • Consecutive Spells don't cost more and more Mana...
    • ...For Ability Tree users, that is!
    • If you're using the Classic Spell-set, the increasing costs are still in place! (Balances out how versatile the Classes get + encourages them to use more of their set at once)
    Crate Drops
    • Super low chance (at least < 0.5%) for a Tier 1 Cosmetic Crate to drop from mobs
    • Combine Crates at the Powder Master for the higher Tier Crates!
    • This chance is increased for Bosses near your level to make them more worth your while
    • Chance for mobs to drop Store Crates also increases based on Rank (y'know, since they're purely cosmetic)
    • F2Ps deserve shinies, too!
    I figured I'd start small since it's been a long time since I made a suggestion post and the big ones are always tough to make and polish.

2. SuperPacific

SuperPacific Well-Known Adventurer VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    0.5% is very high drop rate
    if crates were that common, wynncraft would go broke (even if t1)

honestly someone should code wynncraft into a unity/unreal engine game for much easier customizability and stuff

maybe ill do it when im retired over 40 years later lmao

shacers likes this.
  3. Deusphage

Deusphage gruesome grue Modeler CHAMPION Builder

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    It would be too much work to create a full bestiary, and important characters and bosses already have a fair bit of lore around them you can find through quests and secret discoveries.

Quest Points just sound like Ability Points but not good

Every mob has its own damage noise that we set for it.

I dont know what you mean by "make cutscenes less awkward". You don't really provide any instances of where they're "awkward".
    You are the player, and never are you spoken about in third person by the gray text.

No. The ability tree is structured the way it is because we don't want you being able to just skip ahead before you're meant to.

The old abilities are gone. We literally deleted their code.

shacers likes this.
  4. AcadeeAlkana

Minecraft:
    How would it be too demanding of the team to find a place to display the general stats of the mobs you can run into? They can always choose not to include bestiary entries for the NPCs and mobs that are rare/unresearched in the lore; I'd just like to know what stats the enemies of the world have in a game that penalizes death and heavily incentivizes making item builds to hard-counter/not get hard-countered by enemies.

This reminds me of the time that I suggested that Wynncraft would be better if a few dozen of the Items were discarded; I've run into way too many low-rarity Items that barely affect my playstyle.

And Archetypes sound like the pre-2.0 Classes but split into niche playstyles.

But every Weapon in each category shares the exact same Main Attack sound. How does a powerful, lava-smithed hammer have the same cutting noise as a trident?

It feels awkward to always be in the second person perspective because I haven't seen a single set of dialogue options to pick in any of my playthroughs. Without my own choices of playstyle or personality expression, it doesn't make sense for me to be immersed, but the game seems to pride itself on the immersion of the stories and zoomed-in dialogue moments.

After months of having access to the pre-2.0 Classes, I feel like the Archetype system shoehorned every Class into gimmicky playstyles that are sometimes just a shell of their former self. It's more balanced, sure, but in my experience with the Hero Beta and the Ability Tree's Reset Cooldown, I always felt like I was losing something precious whenever I picked an Ability. Should a skill tree really feel like I'm abandoning the Class I'm playing for an uncustomizable Subclass?

Even Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope and Maplestory 2 - the two worst RPGs I've ever played - had better skill trees than the Hero Beta had at first; they offered upgrades that I'd actually want and let me decide whether I'd like my playstyle radically changed or not. The former let me avoid the things I didn't want, and the latter made the inbetween upgrades either relatively palatable or still decently significant for the default playstyle of the Class. The Hero Beta never gave me much of a choice, always dangling the abilities that I'd like behind a trade-off or a terrible Ability I didn't care for. (IE: Why is Windy Feet's upgrade effectively locked to Boltslinger when it always came with EVERY playstyle available to Archer pre-2.0?)

...Apologies if I'm coming off as rude; perhaps my passion for Wynncraft has withered more than I thought it would since picking up other games. I still hold it dear to my heart for having such a friendly and welcoming community on the forums during COVID.
    It really shouldn't, but I felt bad for the amount of effort that clearly went into the Ability Tree. Also, skipping Red Abilities without ANY cost or letting you go aaaalll the way to the bottom of the Tree and then spending everything on the super-late game abilities would...Actually be really fun, now that I think about it. I was gonna say unbalanced, but who cares if the balance is a bit off? In my opinion, many of the best games have unbalanced-feeling stuff, anyways; It's part of what makes them so interesting!
    I have...a lot of concepts on Google Docs that I've had to shelve while I'm making my indie game; I'll put this idea on the bucket list for when I'm done! (I also grew up playing Maplestory, so I'll definitely shoot for it someday to give an even better experience like it to future generations!)

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  5. Earthbrine

Earthbrine The Dirt of the Realm CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    There are at least 1000 mobs in Wynncraft. Plus, elemental stuff doesn't really matter unless you're doing Qira hive.
    The paths can be mixed. It gives much more freedom than the pre-2.0 classes.
    Have you played any of the recently add/updated quests or participated in any recent events? If not, then that's why you never encountered dialogue options.
    Again, you can mix archetypes.
    Having the game be unbalanced means that everyone is just going to play the best class with the best archetype, completely getting rid of a huge part of Wynncraft, which is the various viable playstyles. There is a balancing team for a reason.
    Anyways your suggestion seems like something that would help, but once you actually understand how this server functions as a whole, you'll see why these suggestions are all impractical or detrimental to the game.

luckeyLuuk and Deusphage like this.
  6. AcadeeAlkana

Minecraft:
    My experience with Wynncraft as a whole and exploring with only in-game resources has been honestly pretty terrible compared to other games. I don't have access to things past the Lvl 40-50 range, so I can't judge any of the late-game content. First impressions can be everything, and Wynncraft's are quite the mixed bag.

Then let the meta-slaves have their hollow victories, while allowing everyone else to pave their own crude, slapdash paths to victory. And if "everyone" feels like they need to prioritize winning over having fun...

Thank you for the feedback, however painful it is.

luckeyLuuk likes this.
  7. Deusphage

Deusphage gruesome grue Modeler CHAMPION Builder

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    You cant even judge midgame content

Earthbrine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.