1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

Translations For Quests, Messages...

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Regress7140, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moe_Ronickah

Moe_Ronickah Traveling through hyperspace . . .. CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Quite frankly, I believe that your statement is ridiculous and offensive. The mere suggestion that anyone who cannot or does not speak English should not be part of the community is really disgusting and quite bigoted. There are many players here, whose first language is not English, who speak fluent English and can probably write a better and more correct communication in English than you can. Further, their communication skills in both spoken and written English are either on a par with yours, or exceed yours. Some of our community members have voluntarily already begun to work on translating the quests into their native languages, a task that is not minor. As to why they have done so, I am certain that it was for the benefit of people who do not have their experience in the English language. This is an inclusive community, Cookieking, not one that cares for excluding anyone. Please, keep a more open and respectful mind of others. You will find that your experiences here will be greatly enhanced by being kinder and more open to others' points of view.

Dexmio, NickMC96, Kalmer and 5 others like this.
  2. Yuno F Gasai

Yuno F Gasai Forum God, FW

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Actually I think that making the translations will be a great community project that will bond us together and create a lot of micro communities that will help one another and increase the pride in one's own language and nationality.

Moe_Ronickah, Kalmer and ScrubSaito like this.
  3. Dar-krusos

Dar-krusos We never change do we; no, no, no~ VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Yer, multiculturalism. Go Australia!

4. C0okieking

C0okieking Well-Known Adventurer

Minecraft:
    I meaning of my comment went completely over your head

5. ScrubSaito

ScrubSaito Always a scrub

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Well it means these people are English talking people. It seems you didn't understand the comment.

6. Moe_Ronickah

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    ScrubSaito, let me parse his message, as I see it written. If you can parse it any differently, I would be interested in reading it through your eyes:
    =>He's right, if it's English, only English speaking people should play. Others just ruin the community. Just take a look at CSGO<=
    Now, all I have done here is add, in bold, two commas. Let's take a look at what C0okieking actually said. First, "He's right if it's English only English speaking people should play." The meaning of this is very clear. It says that if the game is in English, you shouldn't play it if you can't speak/ read English. No ifs, ands or buts about those words. Second, "Others just ruin the community." What "others" could he be referring to other than non-English speaking people? There aren't any "others". So, C0okieking is saying that anyone who speaks any other language, other than English, will ruin the community. That's pretty clear to me, also. No, none of what you wrote, C0okieking, went over my head, whatsoever. Maybe, just maybe, you didn't mean to say what you actually said, and you meant to say something else, something other than what you actually said. Would like to try again to clearly express yourself so that, on the off chance, I've misread what you clearly did write, or that you meant to say something else, that you could make it more clear? I'd really appreciate it, if you meant to and then did. Thanks, in advance, just in case that you choose to do so, because, if I'm wrong, I'll gladly apologize. Otherwise, you both are just plainly wrong.

Edited to add: C0okieking agreed with blankman's original comment, which blankman himself apologized for, and therein retracted. What were blankman's original arguments against making Wynn multi-language? "This is a great idea, but... (1) You are speeking english, so I see no problem. (2) Minecraft is a mostly english game, and it would be hard/annoying to implement." Firstly, his argument #1 fails on several logical levels, and second, his argument #2 is simply not true as MC has many language options built-in.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  7. ScrubSaito

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Since you were talking about how other people could talk a better english than him, I thought you weren't talking about people who don't know english. And since it was the point of his comment, I thought you didn't understand.

8. Moe_Ronickah

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Scrub, C0okieking says on his profile that he is from the USA. His writing skills may not be the greatest, however, he certainly can understand English. I understand that you may not have understood that I fully understood what he said, despite his protest to the contrary, and I understand why you would defend him, if I did misunderstand him. There's no problem there. The problem as I see it is that he thinks that it's OK to say "English Only". Oh, he can think it, but we can also voice our opinions about it, too. I think it's a very bigoted thing to say and a very bigoted thing to want, and, I was referring to plenty of non-native English speakers and writers, plenty of whom can read, speak, and write English better than he does. We are an inclusive community, and that inclusiveness helps all of us.

ScrubSaito likes this.
  9. blue89962

blue89962 Famous Adventurer VIP

Minecraft:
    Holy... this bring me so many memories of when @handschaf made that translation project, I'm happy I was part of it, but I guess it got discontinued, but it was pretty awesome to be part of it, even though, just like I said, it got discontinued ;w;

10. Enderman1234

Enderman1234 Famous Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    Hell even dota, and it really does sometime hurt the community... if there is voice chat. i doubt people will get all pissy in this game

11. ScrubSaito

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    We understood the same thing actually. I think I misread your comment.

Moe_Ronickah likes this.
  12. Moe_Ronickah

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    1) What part were you part of?
    2) Do you still have the files?
    3) Can anyone twist your arm to get you to help out, again? Well, maybe not twist your arm, but how about bribery? => Pretty please? <=
    It's alright if you did misread it. I may have not been as clear as I could have or should have been. Actually, given that my further clarification made it clearer, I have to say that I didn't make myself as clear as I should have, and I apologize for that.
    With voice chat, yes, many people speaking many different languages can become very confusing, and frustrating, very fast. That is where sub-channels need to exist for different language speakers. However, in Wynn, and I think this is what you mean, where quests are read, there is no problem with having quests available in multiple languages, in the game would be great, but definitely on the Wiki. I can even see where having the quests available in multiple languages would be helpful to anyone who was trying to learn another language; they would have many examples of both languages to compare for their own understanding, written in contemporary common usage. As to in-game text chat, it's very rare, thankfully, that someone will make a less-than thoughtful comment about other people chatting in languages other than English.

13. blue89962

blue89962 Famous Adventurer VIP

Minecraft:
    I translated stuff to portuguese, I think I still have the files of the original WynnQP with most of the quests translated, I'll need to find them thoug

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    Moe_Ronickah likes this.
  14. Enderman1234

Enderman1234 Famous Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    Yep, i agree

15. Dar-krusos

Dar-krusos We never change do we; no, no, no~ VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    You can download the public files here:
    Direct download - https://github.com/Wynncraft/WynnQT/archive/master.zip
    Relevant Files - http://bit.ly/1IvBPxo

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    Moe_Ronickah likes this.
  16. C0okieking

C0okieking Well-Known Adventurer

Minecraft:
    I'm sorry but your replies are fucking hilarious. I have no problem with people who make an effort to speak/write in English in games or on forums. I'm talking about the people who don't care about it and expect us to understand whatever the hell they're saying if you've ever found a Russian player in CS GO, you might have a better idea at what I'm talking about. I myself did not learn English as a first language. However that's up to you if you want to believe that. Btw I know what your trying to do with your style of speech/text but it just won't work. You see arguing over text is very hard to do wothout the option of being able to instantly say something, like talking.....

17. --

-- The world's most popular Minecraft server

Maybe we could have one (or a few) multilingual servers hosted in Europe and Asia?

18. Yuno F Gasai

Yuno F Gasai Forum God, FW

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Acer updated the program and as far as I know all of the old files are saved.

Moe_Ronickah likes this.
  19. Moe_Ronickah

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Ah, now, here is the post that you should have, and could have, made the first time! From your point of view, because you have learned English well enough to not need a translation page, you may or may not believe that it is necessary for anyone else, however, in voice chat, you firmly believe that it should be English only on an English server. Do I understand what you are saying? I stand by my previous statements, and I have commented on both of these areas, already. I have no reason to NOT believe that English is your second language if you say that it is and I understand your caveat.

I would love to hear what it is that you think that you know that I am supposedly doing with my "style of speech/text but it just won't work [sic]", in private. Let's not clog up this thread, OK? However, before you do say something, please check my profile page, and understand that I am being very careful here to use proper English as much as is possible for the benefit of clear communication with both native and non-native English speakers. I'm not trying to do anything nefarious, rather, I'm quite "hyped" at the prospect that this project will be completed, to the benefit of everyone, in many different languages other than just English, and yes, it is a large project, however, it looks to me to be well on its way with a very good start.

20. TrashcanMan

TrashcanMan Hello I am here

This might be sort of off-topic here but are there enough Mandarin-speaking players to make a Mandarin translation a worthwhile project?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.