1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

World "they" Pronouns Instead Of "he"

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Hollz100, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stylingirl102

Stylingirl102 Queen of England, America, & 2 car spaces in Tokyo

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I don't think it would be too much to ask to add "they" instead of "he." When I started the first thing I did when I opened my inventory is scrunch my nose at the male skin. I tried to figure out how to change my gender and I was disappointed when I discovered I couldn't. While it's true that it doesn't hinder my game play, it puts a damper on the whole experience for me.

coolname2034 and Hollz100 like this.
  2. Aya

Aya Very Serious Gensokyo Journalist HERO

Minecraft:
    now but actually how the actual fuck do you know if someone is a boi or a girl if they are wearing a truckload of clothes and armor ...

3. GoodNermss

GoodNermss Your friendly neighborhood robot

Minecraft:
    Woah look another one of these threads.

I agree, it can get slightly annoying, but I guess you just have to deal with it. The change wouldn't add too much besides improving immersion, which I guess is the whole point in a role playing game, but CT have better things to worry about rather than fixing one of the most smallest issues. I still support a change like this, but its not necessary.

4. OGK

OGK The Grader CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    I guess it's my turn! ^^
    There is not much point to this as there will be work to this. In instances code can get stupid complicated and going through each one because a minor problem is annoying around 2-10 people. Then why make the change? It's very little and makes no sense in order to do and once it is done, not as many people will read into it.

"He" is a correct pronoun to use in the game of Wynncraft as all Soliders are male. In both Lore and in real life, the typical soldier in the Medieval Times could only select a few people so that the crops and such would not die out. Besides this Males were used to be believed to be the stronger sex, this has changed during the times of recent. Besides this, the Wynn army is full of Males for many reasons. There a few times when we actually see a female NPC, this is to assume that they are taking care of the crops and such. The reason we don't see them is for the same reason we don't see a million NPCs in Detlas and such, there would be no point.

Anyway I am just going to leave off saying: Males were in the Army (only a select amount so they could help tend crops and such) and Females were taking care of the houses/crops. It would be pointless for making each line that refers to the character as a male into a neutral-state would be unrewarding as much as there would be work into it.

SUPER M likes this.
  5. Nepeta Leijon

Nepeta Leijon Rogue of Heart ♌ Leittarius CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    [​IMG]
    Couldn't you just pretend they're saying the female/non-gendered pronoun when you're reading the text? I mean, as has been said before me, Wynncraft is a roleplaying game. Just because you're referenced as a male doesn't mean you can't pretend you're a female.

[​IMG]
    You could consider the quest "Royal Trials", where the player needs to get a Female Pirate Wig to disguise themselves to look like a female pirate to blend in with a clan of female-only pirates, implying that the player didn't look feminine from the start.

SUPER M likes this.
  6. OGK

OGK The Grader CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    This can go either way honestly. The pirate said: "Participate? Pirate QUEEN. Are ye a female? Actually, I can't see under yer helmet. Ye might be." This kinda implies the Armor you are wearing makes it hard to tell... I think...

SUPER M likes this.
  7. At World's End

At World's End Infamous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    I am offended you skrubs are offended. *mic drop*

SUPER M and OGK like this.
  8. OGK

OGK The Grader CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    Who says people weren't crazy and you were actually dreaming all of these events to the specific detail?

9. At World's End

At World's End Infamous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    That happeneds way to much..

SUPER M likes this.
  10. sdkgjnio

sdkgjnio hod-SOH-nee-uhs

Minecraft:
    Shouldn't the game be helping you to roleplay, not limiting your options and forcing you to change it?
    The guard is implied to be incredibly stupid elsewhere in the quest. Anyway, what the player looks like is entirely dependant on their skin.

Hollz100 likes this.
  11. Stylingirl102

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Obviously it isn't just one person asking for this change.

This is an RPG with magic, monsters, and fantasy landscapes but you cross the line at female soldiers? Sure, this change wouldn't benefit you because this change isn't about you. It's about the people who don't want to roleplay strictly as a man. Half the world's population isn't male, so why is it so hard to imagine a magical world where a kingdom's army is more than 1% female? I forgot this game had to align itself with medieval gender roles, my bad. We're talking about the same times where teenagers had children and the life expectancy was 25. Get over yourselves, not all males were soldiers and not all females were farmers, this server's selling point isn't even based on it's realism. Since there aren't even that many references to gender, why is it so gamebreaking to ask for a change that overall will have zero negative consequences?

Ascended Kitten and Hollz100 like this.
  12. Nepeta Leijon

Nepeta Leijon Rogue of Heart ♌ Leittarius CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    [​IMG]
    Yes, but the game could also be doing nothing. At least all the groundwork is there for you to get into character, and you just have to make a small correction in your mind while reading text. The only references to you being male is in the pronouns too, it's not like people say 'Only a man can do this job. Yep, a man without any feminine features at all. You're a man, the one with the male sexual organ and not the female one. Not a female at all, no sir. You can do this job because you're a man.'

SUPER M likes this.
  13. Hollz100

Hollz100 who knows tbh CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    This. I mean, that whole post, yes, but this.

Even if, as some of you have suggested, there are only a few people that might be bothered by the male pronouns, what's the harm in changing them to 'they' or just avoiding using any? It helps those of us that aren't male stay immersed in the game and has no negative impact otherwise.

It's not even like I'm asking for someone to go through all the old quests and change all the pronouns, just that it be kept in mind when future quests are created. There's barely any effort involved in that and it'll improve the game for a few of us while having zero consequences for the rest of you, who don't care either way.

sdkgjnio likes this.
  14. ThePyro_

ThePyro_ Mayor of Corkus HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Think about this.
    The entire game, you're practically referenced as a male. Then come some fancy new quests, and out of nowhere, they're like "They did this"
    Why would that make any sense to dramatically change the dialogue system for maybe 1-2 quests?

SUPER M likes this.
  15. Stylingirl102

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Just because you're referred to as a male doesn't mean that automatically makes you a male. If people just accepted that they were roleplaying as a male this thread and others like it wouldn't exist. And how does having the option to add one letter into dialogue dramatically change anything?

16. BrickBuilder03

BrickBuilder03 A penguin that likes turtles. VIP

Minecraft:
    There is no "dramatic change to the dialouge system". This would be very easy to implement since the current dialouge has to be stored somewhere in the code you can ssearch for it and then change it. The difficult part would be finding the instances that something should be changed, but this could be done by the community so that is no problem.

I do 100% understand that this is a very minor change that will only affect a very small portion of the players but since it will be a positive or neutral change for everyone I see no reason why it shouldn't be implemented.

To everyone that is passionate about this: Compile a list of all the instances you wish something should change and send it to a GM.

Hollz100 likes this.
  17. ThePyro_

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    It's not the word itself, it's what the word implies.
    Around 4 suggestions in the history of Wynncraft have actually been added.
    Can you tell me you really believe that something this small and un-needed will get added to previous or even future quests?

18. Hollz100

Hollz100 who knows tbh CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Firstly, there are only a small number of quests I've come across that reference your gender at all. If continuity is something that'll bother people, said quests can always be pointed out when you come across them. No one has to comb through all the quests, it just takes one person playing the quest and saying "huh, there's a 'he' in this line on this quest, blah blah blah" for it to be changed or removed. It's not ideal, but I wouldn't have thought it would bother anyone much to have one quest say "he" and another say "they".

Secondly, no pronoun has to be used at all. There are many ways to just avoid referencing the player with any pronoun. The fact that words like "he" come up so little just proves the fact that the player needn't be referenced in that way at all during quests.

It's not necessarily about what I believe will for sure get added. It's about voicing my opinion on the matter and allowing others to come and offer their opinions too. The majority of this thread has either been "hey I get it, I would like neutral pronouns too" or "I don't care either way". It has no negative impact and doesn't require any huge changes to be made.

And there's a difference between "needed" and "wanted". It's not necessary, okay, but neither are plenty of other ideas and additions. It depends on what we, as players, want. Not necessarily what is needed or not needed.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Ascended Kitten likes this.
  19. Ascended Kitten

Ascended Kitten The Greatest HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Hey, I'd totally be up to changing all of them ;D

20. ThePyro_

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    If you want to take the time, go for it. I'm looking at this from a programmer's point of view. Why would a programmer (After all the recent bug fixes) GO BACK INTO the perfectly fine code, and change all the quests that involve the word "he". Possibly screwing up for code in the process?
    Why would a programmer, who's working on a million other things within Wynncraft, take the time out of his busy day to go and change it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.