1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

Runaiic's Housing Suggestion

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Runaiic, Sep 9, 2019.

?

is this housing suggestion ok

1. its the best housing suggestion i've seen (+1)

5.6%
  2. its one of the better housing suggestions (+1)

11.1%
  3. nice (+1)

5.6%
  4. its ok (±0)

22.2%
  5. it can be improved (±0) (tell me how)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. its bad (-1)

11.1%
  7. i hate housing (-1)

11.1%
  8. even for a housing suggestion, this is disappointing (-1)

33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runaiic

Runaiic Page of Mind, Taurza, INTP 5w4

i know you guys hate housing and think its too frequently suggested, as well as the fact that a lot of issues with its implementation, but i think i know of a way the CT can add this, if for some reason one day they are sitting on the toilet, and decide "I want to add housing!"

Issues with housing suggestions:
    • A lack of space in-game, due to limited space in the Wynncraft world.
    • Adding onto the previous point, it would be inconsistent across different worlds if houses are restricted to certain worlds.
    • A lack of space, on the servers, everyone would need some server space dedicated to their house, which, over time, can get too taxing.
    • Servers will basically be bricked if every individual has a dedicated house mini-server.
    • They're pointless! No one needs housing, and it would be a waste of time and effort. (simply speaking, the cost performance index would be too high)
    Basically, as well as the initial cost of buying a house, players also need to pay taxes to maintain their house, or else they will automatically be deleted, every player's house should be stored as a .nbt file (structure block file), doing so conserves server space.

Houses are not fixed permanently to a world or a mini-server (which wouldn't make sense), as in, they don't stick around even if you pay your taxes, instead, players can summon their houses in certain spaces a la Trove. These spaces are not giant blocks of stones though, instead, they are the houses that can be found sprawled throughout the world, making implementation simpler. Walking out of range of your summoned house will cause it to revert back to the regular house, allowing other players to use the space.

A house viable for summoning player houses would have a postbox in front of it, and when walked up to, a message will be displayed (like crafting stations), clicking on it opens a GUI, where you can buy, summon, destroy, or sell your house. Inside the GUI, there is also a slot that automatically pays your taxes for you with emeralds that you insert into it, so you don't have to worry if you go on a vacation. A few good examples of houses that cannot be used to summon your house would be the House of Twain, Drucksh's house, Asher's house, or the Nemract moving house, as NPCs/mobs reside in them or they are important for quests.

Depending on the size, a house can cost more or less to buy, summon, or in taxes. The summoning fee can range from 2 EB to 8 EB, taxes for 1 month ranges from 1 LE to 4 LE. Summoning your house will replace the existing house with your house. In addition, due to differences in dimensions, players can only summon their house in a house with the "same" dimensions, of course, these dimensions are not 100% the same, otherwise finding a viable house would be too difficult, and players would conflict too often when it comes to summoning their house.

Now, technicalities aside, what can you do with your house? A house can be constructed with materials you harvest, craft, buy, or acquire from mob drops. You can decorate it with furniture, decorations, or blocks, purchased from a Furniture Merchant found in cities like Llevigar, Cinfras, Corkus or Detlas, some of them also sell their own unique furniture, which can sometimes run out of stock. Some other Merchants may also sell Furniture or Decorative items even if they are not primarily a Furniture Merchant. Materials you harvest can be crafted into their stair, slab, wall, fence equivalent. You can hang your items on your walls as trophies, the frame will be purchasable with emeralds as one of the cosmetic furnitures, you can also place head items (like Borange Fluff), which will retain their data when you break them and pick them back up (if that is possible to add).

Now, here's the useful, non-cosmetic use for houses (bolded, so you can skip to this if you want) Remember what I said about summoning houses? If you summon your house while on a loot run, you can store a limited (but nonetheless decent) amount of your items and emeralds inside Small Chests, Safes, or Cabinets, purchaseable from Furniture Merchants or other merchants. You can also hire merchants in your house who will help you sell predetermined items, to you or other players, or your own items, to players only. If the merchants sell predetermined items, a portion of the money will go to you, such Merchants include a Bartender, a Bookseller (selling mostly vanity books), and a Powder Master.

I contemplated about being able to gather materials in your own house with purchaseable ponds, trees, or veins, but decided that doing so would kill the exploration part of Wynncraft, and cause most players to gather materials in their own house rather than venturing elsewhere to obtain them.

for suggesting housing, i am officially now Booboo the Fool.

edit:
    here are some numbers. Let's take the largest structure you can find in-game. It is the Woodland Mansion. This file is 187 kilobytes. Let's say every single player had a unique house the size of a Woodland Mansion, plus each individual possible randomly generated room or hallway (unlikely, but lets just assume they have a house this big, even though they can't.), and lets say, there are 60,000 unique players whom pay their taxes so their houses don't get deleted, even though Wynncraft doesn't even have 60,000 active players. This directly translates to 11.2 GB, which isn't a lot in terms of space. oh and if your house gets deleted, the items stored and displayed will be deposited in your bank, if there is enough space.

edit 2:
    Overall, this was my first shot at a housing suggestion, mostly just to prove it can work while not being a total bore and waste of effort. i think a lot of housing suggestions that try to tackle the issue of server performance just end up making it too simple, the issue with this is that it would be too much time to implement such an insignificant feature. that said, it's still bad, considering the fact that 4 people voted that this was the worst housing suggestion ever.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Iboju, 13threemc and Novalescent like this.
  2. JaydonTheWarrior

JaydonTheWarrior Jumla Is best dad. HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Do I smell a housing suggestion?

Bowajility likes this.
  3. ParkourTNT

ParkourTNT Wynncraft will have houses one day HERO

Minecraft:
    I was wondering about something for a long time, if for example you want to craft a stair/slab will it appear as a stair/slab in your hotbar? Because the Wynncraft resource pack retexture them to look like weapons.

4. Runaiic

*sweating*

can easily be fixed with 1.14's CustomModelData NBT tag.

ParkourTNT likes this.
  5. Je Hooft

Je Hooft Hardlocked on A Hunter's Calling VIP+

Minecraft:
    I still think this suggestion is too complicated. If I were to write a housing suggestion, I'd put some sort of inn inside some major cities (Detlas, Nemract, Almuj, Llevigar, Troms, Cinfras, Thesead & Ahmsord) where rooms can be bought. However, rooms are only assigned to guilds, not to players to reduce the amount of rooms needed. In this guild room, guild members could buy stuff to help their guild and their players and maybe also buy extensions to their room. But that's just what I think of when people say housing. Having one house per player is just a bit too much I think.

Egg, Iboju and Bowajility like this.
  6. JaydonTheWarrior

JaydonTheWarrior Jumla Is best dad. HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    They could also solve it via 1.9s durability textures.

Overall this is my favorite housing thread, that being said, I still don't like it.
    It's a bit weird, like summoning a house?? Just some things about it don't seem like they would be smooth in terms of gameplay loops.
    You at the very least gave it a couple of different reasons to exist though, unlike most, mostly a reason to level professions as well as a money sink.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  7. Bowajility

Bowajility Famous Adventurer

Minecraft:
    If I were to write a housing suggestion, I'd not.

JaydonTheWarrior and Je Hooft like this.
  8. StormKing3

StormKing3 Well-Known Adventurer

Guild:
    Minecraft:

"players also need to pay taxes to maintain their house, or else they will automatically be deleted" - Why? If there's enough space for 60,000 people why do this?

"vanity books" - What on earth is a vanity book? If it has no writting in it, then it's pointless, and if it does who will do the writing?

"If you summon your house" - What's it got legs? Is it Baba Yaga's house?

[​IMG]

"The summoning fee can range from 2 EB to 8 EB, taxes for 1 month ranges from 1 LE to 4 LE" - Should be the other way round, or anyone can get a house at like level 5 onwards.

"This directly translates to 11.2 GB, which isn't a lot in terms of space" - Just 190 times as big as Minecraft, not much

"You can also hire merchants in your house who will help you sell predetermined items, to you or other players" - Fair idea

Also, when did this fake word "bolded" replace embolden??

Not the best housing suggestion tbh, nice try though. I sort of like the idea of selling items to other players, but the tax system is waaayy off ngl XD

Bowajility likes this.
  9. Bowajility

Bowajility Famous Adventurer

Minecraft:
    This guy looks like a pretty smart dude. If you need to go home, it's always there a few feet (lol) away

StormKing3 likes this.
  10. oinuk

oinuk volcano spell :relaxed:

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    honestly i cant tell if housing suggestions are sarcastic anymore
    since you put a wall of text with no color or organization, im assuming its not (because most of the shitposters make it look highkey realistic)

ok. walking houses? interesting
    but wouldnt summoning a house tax the server?
    I feel like the better way to add player residence would be an "inn" in major cities which teleports you to a world with a massive hotel (explore it idgaf) and players can rent rooms for x amount of time. probably have the rooms give a buff or smth so its a worthwhile money sink

but i dont want housing ever

11. Runaiic

this is to ensure that there is enough space for new players, future-proofing it unless somehow we get an influx of millions of players one day.

vanity books are readable lore books, expanding the world. Imagine the Lusuco Library or Ragni's Library. The CT.

i admit i didnt do a good job explaining this, but you can look here for an idea of what I'm trying to say.

Summoning fee refers to what it costs to summon it each individual time, not the initial cost to obtain one.
    a server usually has a lot more space, surely just 11.2 GB won't take a lot to support, most server. also, you ignored the rest of the explanation, i was mentioning a woodland mansion, which would be at least 5x or 10x bigger, not including the additional files for each randomly generated room. i also greatly exaggerated the number of players, just to prove my point, its low on space.

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/47470/is-bolded-a-word https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/47470/is-bolded-a-word https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/47470/is-bolded-a-word https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/47470/is-bolded-a-word

i cant believe you got grammar wrong again

houses would be expensive to buy and maintain, your post assumes a lot of things, ie every player can buy and own a house. if the taxes are 1-5LE per month, the initial cost would logically be much higher, and I don't expect players to be able to buy a house until their character is at least Lv. 70 or so. By the time a player reaches this level, they would have to invest several hours into the game.

none of what i said pertained to walking houses. that was StormKing3's joke. And no, summoning a house wouldn't tax the server, that's another wrong assumption, the whole point of my suggestion was how we can avoid lag and server issues with housing while still not having it boring. summoning a house is similar to how trees, fish, and mining resources regenerate, they basically just replace and load the existing house with a new house, using structure blocks.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  12. oinuk

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    ok ok you're serious about this and it isnt a shitpost
    glad we've established that
    now, other than the obvious fact that they probably won't add this anytime soon, there are still a ton of questions

how do you choose your house design? also why don't we just make it guild-based?

StormKing3 likes this.
  13. Runaiic

14. oinuk

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    i got so confused until i realized you edited my quote instead of responding to it lol

15. healthysoup_

healthysoup_ Travelled Adventurer

Minecraft:
    Hold up, hold up.

1. Why do we need to pay taxes? I don't want to pay taxes. I'd have to log on every single day which I sometimes don't have the time for.

2. For summoning houses, why not just summon a tiny blimp with the compass and it'll take you to your house? We should have a separate server. If we have fifty houses in one server, it would just eat all of the data for that server and potentially crash it.

3. Housing should be revolving around building with gathered materials, and maybe we could use gathered materials as a store currency for building. Hey, at least you're saving up.

4. Size should be the smallest when started (20x20) and then with emeralds, you can work your way up to 45x45.

5. Let's not summon houses, please, I don't want to see a wall of houses surrounding a hotspot for grinding.

If I can summarize ideal housing:
    - Be able to call a tiny blimp to the housing server.
    - Obtain resources to sell them for materials to build with.
    - Be able to visit other's housings if they have guests, party, guild, etc.
    - No taxes.

16. Runaiic

Taxes future-proof the thing so that the server will never run out of space for houses, if taxes don't exist, player housing will eventually begin to hog up memory.

Separate servers cost resources, and no, having several houses in one server won't eat up data for one server, the housing data is stored as a structure block file, which can be loaded from any WC. Houses also revert back to NPC houses once the player has left their range.

Eh, that's kind of what I was getting at.

I'm mostly neutral about your 4th message, but it won't fit with what I am suggesting.

Houses can only spawn where existing houses are, I hope you read my post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.