1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

My Thoughts On Combat

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Theeef, Feb 8, 2019.

?

Your thoughts?

1. I agree

72.0%
  2. I agree for some (tell me in comments)

24.0%
  3. I disagree (tell me in comments)

4.0%
  1. Theeef

Theeef Lurker of the Abyss HERO

Minecraft:
    I posted this in the new feedback suggestions of the Wynncraft discord and literally didn’t get a single comment so... posting here, would love to hear people’s thoughts. Copy pasting exactly so excuse errors.

I still agree that mobs and bosses need an overhaul. Having a mob scripting system that allows for highly customizable and unique AI would be lovely. It should be able to change their AI goals and target selectors based on health, location, and various other conditions. Should also be able to change other aspects of the mob such as health, damage, model, etc. In addition to this, a better spell system would be great. While there are a good handful of spells (more wouldn’t hurt) the way they’re cast is a problem. I feel like bosses should be treated very differently as a while. I personally believe basically ALL of a bosses damage should come from spells. These fights should not be a game of just tank the damage and kill it before it kills you. It should be about avoiding their attacks and attacking in between without dying. Not just spell spam until it dies. That goes back to the spell casting system. I feel there should be a complex spell casting system as well for mobs. CT should be able to define an attack pattern for mobs... Under certain conditions (health %, taken x damage, etc.) the mob should be able to cast certain spells. At other times it could be based on a spell patten. Every x seconds a specific spell could occur, which could still change based on various conditions. In order to fight these bosses players have to learn their unique and complex attack patterns and figure out how to survive and attack through them. Not just spam spells.

I think player spells are also worth noting. I’m not the only one who agrees that most of the spells don’t flow well together. Assassin is one if the only ones that does this, each of its spells allowing you to seamlessly flow into the nest spell, allowing “combos” essentially.. Mage, Archer and Warrior should be reworked slightly so that they flow properly. Obviously this is something that takes some messing around with. Also as for the focus of the spells themselves, here’s my personal beliefs. Every class should have 1 offensive spell and 1 movement spell. The other 2 should be based on that classes general “role”. For example, mages general “role” would be a support. They could have 1 damage spell like meteor, 1 movement like teleport and 2 support spells. Heal is obviously a support spell, and ice snake COULD be a support spell if you make stretch but a more concrete support spell could be nice. And even still they don’t flow together well at all. Under this system Warrior would have two “tanky” spells and archer and assassin would have 2 spells if their respective roles.

With that being said, I think elements also need a bit more work. You can use mob AI to tie this in. I feel like having mobs AI goals being able to change based on damage types they take, and having powder specials used on them could make combat much more interesting and strategic. For example, say you have a mob that normally works with other mobs around it to swarm the player. All of their AI focuses on swarming and doing as much damage as possible. But, if you deal water damage to them, they disperse (changes their current AI). Alternatively if you hit them with fire damage, it might cause them to go into even more of a frenzy and get faster, and stronger... Another idea is to have it so powder specials can produce a similar effect. If you use an air powder special on this mob, it’s AI night change so that rather than try to swarm, they get much more tactical and try to surround you (using locations of other mobs and mathhhhh to find a new path for them) and take you out from all sides. Overall I feel this would produce much more tactical gameplay and put more focus on elements. Powders specifically... How often do you use powders at lower levels? I’m willing to bet most of you said never. Since people’s quickly outgrow their items at lower levels there’s really no point to using powders. I’d like to see more need for powders at lower levels through more importance of elemental damage and powder specials in combat. Maybe that’s just me but IDK.

Overall, wynns combat should make you think and be quick on your feet, rather than just being a contest of who can do the most damage in the least amount of time without dying. These are just my opinions.. have a lovely day

Credit to original idea of elemental damage changing AI to @Sam Hyde (I added onto it a bit)... the rest are things I thought before but were slightly shaped by my Wynn game design discord.

TL;DR Wynn combat is bad because mob AI is bad and combat takes no skill. Rework mob AI with a custom scripting system (it is possible, would just take some work on the development side), make elements more important and encourage powder usage at lower and higher levels. Keep it simple for every mechanic but together they should synergize to create depth.

Vote in poll k thanks bye

2. btdmaster

btdmaster Just another casual on my way to lvl 100

Minecraft:
    Yikes that's long, and yes I read it all, but whew. A bit much detail, but I suppose that's a good thing cause this (might be?) a suggestion... Tbh I agree with some parts but I also think this(elemental AI stuff) should be restricted to certain bosses as it makes them quite complex

Theeef likes this.
  3. H0Y0Y0Y0Y0Y0B0Y

H0Y0Y0Y0Y0Y0B0Y A H0Y0Y0Y0Y0B0Y IMPROVED

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Nice you vote for yourself. Your going to hell for you have committed internet sin 384

trex1611 and Theeef like this.
  4. Theeef

Minecraft:
    I mean I just did it so I can see who else voted for what but I mean.....

Nepeta Dijon likes this.
  5. H0Y0Y0Y0Y0Y0B0Y

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Tell that to the judge and jury. It's militarily court, guilty until proven innocent.

Stag2001, trex1611 and Theeef like this.
  6. Nepeta Dijon

Nepeta Dijon Still haven't finished reading it. HERO

Minecraft:
    No, no, that's progressive court.

trex1611 and Theeef like this.
  7. Genoxyde

Genoxyde A man and a mouse and a mint VIP

Minecraft:
    That’s every social media court

Nepeta Dijon and Theeef like this.
  8. GlacierHero

GlacierHero Doppelganger of him VIP+

Minecraft:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Wynncraft is using MythicMobs to script their mobs, which is already the most highly-customizable mob scripting plugin.

Edit: Nope, they use their own.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Theeef likes this.
  9. H0Y0Y0Y0Y0Y0B0Y

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I’m going to correct you, they use their own.

Theeef likes this.
  10. Theeef

Minecraft:
    MythicMobs is more versatile, but it also takes longer to be implemented. Need a better AI scripting system added that is easy to use and versatile:

11. PatheticFlower

PatheticFlower Well-Known Adventurer VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    yeah this is cool and all and I agree but I doubt they'll change the entire combat system that people have learned over years, which is a shame, but if they did put the minimal effort in to make it that would be a godsend

Theeef likes this.