1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

Quest List Of Quests That Are In Dire(?) Need Of Rework And/or Resolution.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by AmbassadorDazz, Jul 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmbassadorDazz

AmbassadorDazz HTTP 425: Too Early Staff Member Moderator VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Another member has recently opened a Best/Worst Quests thread on the Wynncraft section of the forum, and after writing my response there, I realized Wynncraft had too many bad quests. These, however, are particularly bad, thoroughly explained as to why.

Keep in mind that as subjective as this may be, it is written with a few things in mind:
    • Quests on this list are substandard as of 1.19.
    • Some Quests on this list are at least 4 years old (Gavel update).
    • Some of them are very dead simple fetch quests, which in general is a concept that should go extinct.
    • CT is by no means required to rework all of them in one go.
    TL;DR: Loads and loads of Quests need a rework, or a change that makes them more enjoyable.

Section I - Fetch Quests

Fetch quests are a branch of quests that are getting old and bland. It basically involves getting the Quest NPCs an item they need, end of story. The most notorious example of this is The Ultimate Weapon, an alleged "parody" of fetch quests, that once required you to get up to 100 of a single item (it has been reduced recently).

These quests need a rework, either total or partial, to make fetching an insignificant part of the quest rather than being the entire meat of it:

• Bob's Lost Soul: It's a fetch quest. Requires you to get a Bob's Tear (**), Rose (0) and all 4 of the Depressing Weapons (except Relik - Depressing Relik doesn't exist), bring them to their respective NPCs, done. That's literally the quest. Well, besides entering Bob's Tomb.
    • Underwater/Underice: Both of them are Fetch quests. Underwater is understandable, but Underice has no excuse to be a fetch quest at that level. Either way, both quests need a rework, as they're a pair of very boring fetch quests.
    • Mushroom Man: This quest is very old, ancient perhaps. It does force the player to do a bit of farming to get the mushrooms (or grind them, both work), but asking the player to get the bowl is basically "fetch me X, get Y".
    • Arachnids' Ascent: For a Quest made in 1.17, this is going to leave a very bad taste. While the Mt. Wynn sequence is interesting, it's certainly not up to par with other quests.
    • Lost Tower: Fetch quest a la Nemract. The titular structure is also very complex to navigate, making it hard for newcomers to find where they're supposed to go.
    • Green Gloop
    • Ice Nations: This one gets a special mention for having the player travel a long way across the sea (somewhat close to the shore of Dead Island, a LEVEL F***ING SEVENTY AREA), just to fetch a single item.
      P.S.: You're nowhere close to Dead Island when doing the quest at level, so rest easy
    • Clearing the Camps: Very bad intro quest to the Llevigar Plains. Basically "kill 3 chiefs, fetch heads, get reward".
    • Green Skinned Trouble: Ditto with this quest.
    • The House of Twain: The sad thing is that a good chunk of this quest can be skipped due to Ghostly Cap being tradeable. And then it just boils down to being another fetch quest. A fetch quest with a hefty reward (1LE) for its level, but still a fetch quest.
    • An Iron Heart, Part I: Dead simple fetch quest.
    • Zhight Island: There's probably a reason why I don't bother doing this quest on other classes, but one part of it is because it's another fetch quest that takes place on Maro Peaks, the least popular area in the entire game.
    • Beneath the Depths: To be fair, this is actually a good quest.
    • Temple of the Legends: While a recap of everything the player has done up until now, it is, unfortunately, a prime candidate for a total rework, and here's why:
      • It's basically a glorified fetch quest. In various parts of the Quest, you're asked to "fetch X, get Y".
      • It requires access to Maro Peaks, which requires Ice Nations; and the Creeper hideout, which requires partial completion of Creeper Infiltration. This is actually good design, but the execution, due to Maro Peaks of all things, leaves much to be desired.
      • Your tasks are by no means worthy of Legends, save for killing the boss - Corrupter of Worlds.
        • One good thing about this quest is that CoW is an introductory Superboss - a high level (for players doing this quest at level) boss that can kill an unprepared player very quickly.
    • Finding The Light: Unfortunately, this otherwise good quest somehow ended up in this list, due to the amount of fetching you have to do.
    • Reincarnation: Requires Bob's Lost Soul, which itself is another fetch quest. Requires Maro Peaks access.
    • The Ultimate Weapon: More like The Ultimate Fetch Quest.
    • Recipe for Disaster: By no means anything except for Frank's "omelette" and the fact that this is a fetch quest is a disaster.
    Section II - Quest Helmets

These quests are notable for having a weird design choice - Quest helmets. Anything that's on this list requires a Quest helmet, directly or indirectly, to complete it. While good examples (marked with green) exist, bad examples that has led to certain areas of the game being straight up skipped in a playthrough have also made it to this list (with a glowing red color).
    • Underwater: Requires a Breathing Helmet I to complete. This one is understandable since you're doing the quest underwater.
    • Underice: Requires Breathing Helmet I to start, II to complete. Breathing Helmet II is Untradeable, but it may as well be a Quest item due to being required for From the Mountains.
    • An Iron Heart: Requires a Factory Helmet to complete. Why would you need a helmet specifically to protect you from the hazards of a factory is anybody's guess. You get to keep the helmet, unfortunately.
    • Zhight Island/Temple of Legends/Reincarnation: All three require Climbing Helmet. Again, why would you need that is a source of infinite confusion and bewilderment, considering Maro Peaks is the single least popular area in the game. ToL also requires Purified Helm of Legends to complete, which is a good Rare helmet for level.
    • Finding the Light: Requires Clearsight Spectacles to complete. You get to keep the helmet, and it is a good defensive Rainbow helmet for its level.
    • Hollow Sirene: Requires Soundproof Earmuffs to complete.
    • Forbidden Prison: Requires Guard Uniform (a helmet, natch) to complete. You get to keep the helmet, which is a Normal helmet of all things.
    • Purple and Blue: Requires (?) Ancient Helmet to complete. You don't get to keep the helmet. This one is particularly interesting since it's possible to use another item entirely.
    • The Hunger of Gerts: Requires a Gert Mask to complete. You get to keep the Gert Mask for both parts.
    • A Fighting Species: Requires an Orc Mask to complete. You don't get to keep the Orc Mask.
    • Royal Trials: Requires a Female Pirate Wig (merchant bought, fortunately) to complete. You get to keep the wig, and you only need to buy it once.
    Section III - Unfinished, Open Ended Quests

Unfortunately, Gavel area is filled with those - unfinished quests that are either too ambiguous and open ended, or straight up failed to leave the WIP phase. This is a (partial?) list of quests that are simply too open ended and/or belonging to unfinished questlines and areas that leave the player at a cliffhanger.
    • The Realm of Light: Massive cliffhanger. You reach Orphion's Seal, and... are greeted with a very crummy excuse of an ending that leaves everything you've done up until this point a mess of undone yarn of quests.
    • Headless Hunt: Dullahan is still out there, but we don't know where - he's never made his explicit appearance, making a large part of this quest null and void once done, with just a speck of relevant information being given about him.
    Section IV - Bad Intro Quests

Many members of this community want this game to be more engaging and enjoyable for newcomers, and in most cases, the game fails to deliver. This is a list of bad introductory quests that fail to accomplish their intended purpose.
    • King's Recruit: Two reworks later and it's still not enough.
    • Enzan's Brother: This quest should be cast into the Pit of Carkoon, where rests the mighty Sarlacc, who will devour this quest alive and whole, consuming it over the course of a thousand years.
      • This quest serves LITERALLY NO PURPOSE WHATSOEVER. It just gives the player an Ingredient for their troubles. That's it.
      • This quest fails to even properly introduce the players to the concept of Crafting.
      • In fact, the only good thing this quest has is that it gives an Ingredient used for creating a very busted early-game set of armor.
    • Elemental Exercise: Congratulations Wynncraft, you fail elemental interactions forever.
      • It is a very bad intro to Elements. It only explores one side of the Elemental Pentagon. It fails to mention the rest.
      • It is an exaggerated intro to Elements. Elemental strengths and weaknesses obviously depend on the player's build and the mob's elemental stats, but exaggeration is not the way to go. This is also an issue in Ice Barrows and its corrupted variant.
      • It fails to mention the existence of the Powder Master, a very critical NPC that allows the player to powder their equipment, thus giving them access to some degree of elemental power, enhancing what already exists, and even applying Special attacks to them (2x T4 or better).
    This concludes the list of quests that (in my opinion) need either some tweaking to make them better, lots of tweaking to save them from their sorry state, or absolute annihilation - being replaced by other quests that do their job better.

Updated.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  2. btdmaster

btdmaster Famous Adventurer VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    @Saya you're probably interested lmao
    Anyways I agree for the most part with a lot of these, however I don't see the need to introduce the powder master in elemental exercise- if you walk the path you're supposed to through nivla forest, you should already have encountered one.

Saya likes this.
  3. TrapinchO

TrapinchO Help the wiki! VIP+ Featured Wynncraftian

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Underice is at least somewhat interesting too. We even have a choice.

At least you can prepare the items beforehands. (not an excuse but at least something)

Still not a good quest. As long as it has professions, it can't be improved.

I agree that it is too short, but I wouldn't say a fetch quest. It has some feel to it.

4. Lex!

Lex! the final elkurn activist QA HERO GM CMD

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    I'd argue that fetch quests in general aren't automatically bad. Most fetch quests in Wynn are done poorly, yes, but it's not impossible to make a "fetch quest" that's fun. Your definition of a fetch quest says that it's simply getting an item for an NPC, but that leaves a lot of room for creativity inside it. For example, Beneath the Depths, as mentioned is a good quest. I'd also argue that Recipe for Disaster is a good quest, though I'm aware that not everyone shares that opinion.

The rest of the list I generally agree with.

TsuB0Y and Druser like this.
  5. Saya

Saya yeah don't mislead newbies thanks VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    yep
    honestly just re-purpose elemex as a catch-all id/combat/element tutorial, I bet anyone remotely familiar can do it... oh wait

6. Derecho Drifter

Derecho Drifter Surfing winds and chasing windfalls VIP+

Minecraft:
    I’d say these five are the ones that most need, along with A Fighting Species, From the Mountains, and Reclaiming the House, which all also just generally suck.

Bob’s Lost Soul is a relic of a quest and REALLY shouldn’t be a new player’s first major introduction to Bob, especially since he’s a lot more integral to the lore of Ragni. The lore and game have evolved a lot since this quest was introduced and it shows

Lost tower... is Lost tower. It’s bad and could probably be removed entirely without anyone caring

Green Gloop mostly annoys me because the goddamn slime scooper keeps reappearing in my inventory on a /fixquest but beyond that the slime collection part still doesn’t make sense lorewise and is boring gameplay wise

I’ve already said my part about the Greenskin Quests. They need a rework, and the entirety of the Llevigar plains needs lore.

I’d also like to add a few quests that I think should be on this list;
    -The Maiden Tower (haha shrek but the quest is literally two bosses and a really out of place puzzle. Why is this the introductory quest for the swamp? It’s just bad.)
    -Crop Failure (slimes are supposed to be a slykaar thing and undeads are supposed to be a wynn thing; the dialogue is good but the gameplay falls into the ‘walk to a place, kill a thing’ trap that really makes up too many gavel quests)
    -Shadow of the Beast (Walk to a place, fetch cow parts, walk to another place, fetch wood, walk to another place, fetch naga tails, walk to another place, buy cobblestone, walk to another place, kill a thing, walk to bigfoot’s den, deal with an out of place puzzle, deal with Bigfoot’s janky ass hitbox, walk ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE START, finish quest.)

there’s also The Worm Holes, which is pretty fetchy as well tbh and falls under this category

Druser likes this.
  7. StormDragon4

StormDragon4 Well-Known Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    Wasn't Mixed feelings also left unfinished? The separatist leader wasn't found and I'm pretty sure there's more of them

8. AmbassadorDazz

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Separatist leader escaped, there's not really much of a sequel hook for that quest since they were forced to take their leave anyway.
    Green Gloop being an ass with the scooper can be "amended", but I agree. And a good chunk of the Greenskin quests are boring fetch quests that have no replayability whatsoever.
    Riiight. I honestly forgot these existed. Just shows they're so forgettable I even forgot to mention them.
    Shadow of the Beast at least has a decent reward, but the reward is not worth the trouble (in that the quest doesn't pressure you in the slightest).
    The thing is, quests with fetching as their main shtick are very boring and repetitive, so it demands plenty of creativity to make it a fun fetch quest like you said (and I agree with that, as with enough creativity anything can work). Beneath the Depths is a good example indeed, but some of them just aren't up to par.
    This is what I do when I have to do Reincarnation on a class, because otherwise it takes aeons for each class to go there and get the items. Especially Maro Peaks, due to being a PITA to navigate. Why get one when you can literally stockpile hundreds? I agree.
    My reasoning is that the lore is fairly limited compared to what Part II explores. It is a prelude, but at least some more details and embellishment could be added, but not enough to distract and bore the player from what's happening.

TrapinchO likes this.
  9. TrapinchO

TrapinchO Help the wiki! VIP+ Featured Wynncraftian

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Completely agree

10. euouae

euouae euouae VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Time to spill out my thoughts with this.
    I agree that Mushroom Man is pretty mundane, but this simplicity is, in my opinion, what makes the quest shine. Not every quest has to have some really elaborate story, in fact, I'd say that this quest should annoy you because of Yayha's just sheer insanity. It's a weird quest (mushrooms?) but actually sets the scene that new players didn't know existed for ???, and even Shattered Minds, honestly.

The bowl part is also kinda fine. This is probably the first time players see the Nivla Village. When you hear the discovery jingle and see the town in the trees, it's definitely a cool feeling.

Change it however you want, but I still want this simplicity in the quest, even if it's a little fetchy.
    I find it fine that the structure is hard to navigate. In fact, that's probably one of the entire points of the quest (emphasis on the "lost" in "Lost Tower"). Although I do agree it's quite fetchy, keep the complex structure inside the tower.
    in my opinion, house of twain is NOT a fetch quest. May i remind you, I doubt most, if any, new players will know to buy a ghostly cap, because they'll probably explore the mansion first, which leads them to getting a ghostly cap (unless they use the wiki, but the wiki ruins a lot of fun). After that, they must figure out a few more puzzles, before dropping below a grave, doing another puzzle, and then fighting a boss.

This is not a fetch quest, it's a small journey. It only seems fetchy to the experienced players that buy a ghostly cap beforehand, already have a ghostly cap, and already know every single step.

Now, what IS a fetch quest, is Clearing the Camps. THAT's how i would define a fetch quest.
    And this simplicity, like Mushroom Man, is in my opinion, what leads to it's charm. Not every quest has to be crazy detailed and convoluted. It may be a fetch quest, but it sets a perfect stage for An Iron Heart Part II. It's a malfunctioning golem, something everyone would think as as very normal, and it might be a little suspicious once you're fighting it, but once you do An Iron Heart Part II, the puzzle pieces just click together.

The scary realization in An Iron Heart Part II partly backs off of An Iron Heart Part I, when you realize that golem you killed was actually a villager in itself, shoved inside of a golem.

I agree with most of your points here, but I feel like the fact that it's a "glorified fetch quest" is intentional. Like it or not, and I don't, the quest wants you to be mad, especially with the snooty asshole that is Kelight. Although I do believe this definitely should be reworked, I still like that it backs itself off of other quests. It gives a small sense of progression.
    The fetch quest is the gimmick here. And I actually liked it, which might be weird. The fact that you slowly accumulate really weird items from solving a chain of problems is really satisfying for me. It gives me slight From The Bottom vibes, and I also like that quest (although this is probably an unpopular opinion).
    Please DO NOT rework this. This is intended to be a fetch quest. It's a SATIRE of one.

Yes, it is annoying, but-

I don't know, there's a part of it that makes me want to keep it.

I actually think it is fine. Maybe not the best intro quest, but after adding the loot chest and less emphasis on professions, i'm a lot more satisfied with it.

Although I DEFINITELY think that it should teach combat much better.
    You DO NOT understand the power of this quest (no, this is not a meme).

When you exit the gates of Ragni, going to Therck, you begin to absorb the beauty of this new land, learn the nature of the mobs, and find an item identifier and a blacksmith along the way. There are also quite a few loot chests, and a very spooky looking cave that has pigmen in it. This beauty of the simplicity that is Emerald Trail is the pinnacle of Enzan's Brother.

The point of Enzan's Brother isn't to talk to Enzan's brother, no. It's to absorb the beauty of entering a new world, killing mobs, and learning many mechanics indirectly along the way.

And I love it. Not every quest has to teach you by slapping instructions in your face (like cough cough Elemental Exercise), the greatness of Enzan's Brother is that it teaches you indirectly.

And no, of all quests, Enzan's Brother is not meant to introduce players to crafting. That's King's Recruit.
    Now, this.

This, I agree with, along with many others.

The amount of exaggeration in this quest is crazy, and the fact that it goes off on a tangent at the end and doesn't even try to teach you anymore, just tells you to get the fuck out of the cave (???) and then the quest is over.

No mention of how elemental defences are ADDITIVE?! and not multiplicative?!?!!?!?!

NOT TO MENTION NOT EVEN MENTIONING POWDERS IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM, EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE FUCKING ELEMENTS?

anyways.

the quest overexaggerates about elements way too much, which leaves players extremely paranoid about their elemental defences and weapon choices, to the point where it dominates them. It also doesn't tell the player stuff that it should tell them.

Like saya said, it could also encompass ID explanation, since if you asked a new player what the fuck Reflection did, I doubt they would know off the top of their head.

So that concludes my hellhole of thoughts.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    WithTheFish, TsuB0Y, Caci1 and 2 others like this.
  11. stronbox

stronbox get wifi anywhere you go HERO

Minecraft:
    ToL is, by far, my least favorite quest. It requires you to:
    • Complete 8 quests prior to it (some containing even more fetching, like Bob’s Lost Soul and Ice Nations for Climbing Helm);
    • Go to multiple areas spread across the entirety of Wynn (and the ocean) just so you can talk to one NPC, give it an item and move on to the next one;
    • Kill a level 100 boss that can obliterate you in a split second (although it is a good challenge that prepares the player for endgame content).
    I could put up with this, especially considering the quest’s age, which, back in the day, where 75 was the max, gave a really nice boost so you could get closer to max to kill Bob. The problem is, it aged like milk. The trainer grind spot got butchered (spawnrate is abysmal now), and the only good thing you get from it is the EXP (which you could’ve gotten way faster during the time it took to actually complete the quest). Like, I went through all this trouble, traveling across the map, doing quests and beating a boss that’s 30 levels above me just to get access to one boss altar, a bank and a “””””grind spot”””””. Not even any emeralds or anything to compensate for it. Only a helmet and some EXP (helmet can be decent if you need a replacement, but it’s nowhere near being worth the trouble).
    It desperately needs a rework, and I couldn’t agree with you more on this.

12. Emogla3

Emogla3 nerf shaman VIP

Minecraft:
    The 8 quests thing isn't bad, as most people have already done those 8 quests and the quests themselves are relatively quick.

If you get the items beforehand the quest becomes much faster to do, taking only around 10-15 minutes or less, and most of that is CoW fighting.

I don't see the problem with CoW's difficulty. It is a balanced boss and is supposed to be hard.

I like ToL because it's a good recap of the Wynn province, and again, doesn't take long if you have the items, and CoW is always a nice challenge to do on a newer class. Also you don't get Bob weapons without doing it.

TrapinchO likes this.
  13. Yraw

Yraw Water Fountain

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    the one thing i really despise about ToL is that you need the quest helmet EVEN IN THE BOSS which is the dumbest thing ever made

A Human likes this.
  14. Emogla3

Emogla3 nerf shaman VIP

Minecraft:
    Can't you take it out right in the bossroom? I'm not sure.

15. Yraw

Yraw Water Fountain

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I tried doing that and it just kicks you out

Druser likes this.
  16. Emogla3

Emogla3 nerf shaman VIP

Minecraft:
    Okay. Well, at least the helmet is alright, but some changes would be good.

17. Samsam101

Samsam101 soviet cinfras soviet cinfras soviet cinfras HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    you forgot the realm of light for quest helmets (helmet of shimmering light)

18. AmbassadorDazz

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Realm of Light was not on this list because I keep forgetting things.

And regarding @MarioYoshiBoo's statement, I largely agree, except for your The Ultimate Weapon comment:
    I'm also well aware that it is a parody (a shoddy, "so bad it's good" type of parody), but... it sort of feels mundane.

euouae likes this.
  19. oinuk

oinuk volcano spell :relaxed:

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    i can see where you're coming from, but i feel like there should be some simple quests in the game. at least the numbers were massively reduced, even though the FUCKING WOOD ASH TAKES EIGHTEEN FUCKING YEARS TO GET HOLY SHIT

euouae likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.