1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

Fixing Player Ghosts

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Runaiic, Dec 10, 2019.

?

Support Poll

1. I support both.

69.2%
  2. I support Change #1.

30.8%
  3. I support Change #2.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I support neither.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runaiic

Runaiic Page of Mind, Taurza, INTP 5w4

I like player ghosts. It is a very creative fix to the 50 player limit, effectively getting rid of players feeling the need to join filled servers to feel like they're playing an MMO. But as it is now. it has several flaws.

Change #1
    Player ghosts should render skins, armour, held items, and actions (punching).
    Note 1: There is no technical limitation in doing so, and it won't cause server lag.
    Note 2: To prevent massive lag, spells shouldn't be able to be seen across servers, and perhaps pets too.

Change #2
    An option to chat in [Global] or [Local], Local will only send messages to those on the same server as you, like it is currently as well as preventing you from seeing Global chat messages. Global will allow your messages to be displayed across other worlds to other players who have Global chat turned on.
    The commands would be /gchat on and /gchat off.
    Note: "Global chat" isn't a shout, it merely allows other players to communicate with each other, as I've seen people talking with player ghosts only to be confused as to why they don't respond.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    KerbolExplorer likes this.
  2. Aarontti

Aarontti an overrated person, always around HERO

Minecraft:
    They already do all of this, albeit a bit slowly

3. Runaiic

Skins don't seem to appear for me, and I just checked, some players will never render their armour / held items (I see some ghosts casting movement spells without armour or weapons) no matter how many times I relog. I suppose this is just a bug then.

4. Casparof

Casparof mythic counter: 2 HERO

Minecraft:
    Also add a feature that when your in a city player ghost wil get disabled after beijg afk for like 4/5 so detlas or somthing won’t fill up with afk players

and make it so we can only see player that can see you 2 so only player that has ghost players tunder on other wise you talking to people that don’t even see you

5. Runaiic

Bump 10 characters~

6. Theeef

Theeef God of 4 AM Profession Rants HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Something I also think would be really cool once ghosts are optimized is make mobs be throughout all servers. A boss walking around on WC1 would be the exact same as one walking around on WC3. Same health, position, damage, etc. Making it so spells could interact with entities on different servers and then making it so like only one dev server spawns entities and other players interact from a different server would be great. Make player ghosts not toggle able (again must be optimized first) and boom, you got everyone in one big epic RPG.

Although, if this is done I think Detlas needs another revamp to be made much bigger if you’re constantly going to be seeing everyone and can’t turn it off.

This is just my opinion pls no mad at me. I know it’d take a lot of work haha...

H0Y0Y0Y0Y0Y0B0Y likes this.
  7. H0Y0Y0Y0Y0Y0B0Y

H0Y0Y0Y0Y0Y0B0Y A H0Y0Y0Y0Y0B0Y IMPROVED HERO

Minecraft:
    Once that happens, like how WOW has dedicated pvp servers and nonpvp servers, wynn could also have that and that would be cool

8. Melkor

Melkor The dark enemy of the world HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Grinding might be an issue; high damage classes like archer would be the bane of any grind spot because you couldn't switch servers to escape their kill steals. If they balanced that though it might be neat.

9. Theeef

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Totums can help prevent this, although I'm sure other solutions could be planned.

10. Melkor

Melkor The dark enemy of the world HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Probably. I'm just terrified of an inescapable killstealing archer spamming arrow bomb wherever I'm trying to grind.

Nukewarmachine and Theeef like this.
  11. Aarontti

Aarontti an overrated person, always around HERO

Minecraft:
    People have already mentioned some severe gameplay issues against this, but you also need to look at the technical issues that'd arise.

Due to how computers work, it's more than reasonable to assume, that all the math, physics, yml, wscript and player connections are still handled by their own respective servers, the exact same way they've always been. Meanwhile, the ghosts are mere projections; Copies of this pre-calculated math, that most likely use no more resources for processing than a generic npc. It's just a hunch, but I'd imagine it's pretty safe to say, that they're not even physically in the world, but shown to players via packets, which allows them to be even more performant by not interacting with the world.

Now, what'd happen if this system was extended to entities? Since there'd be several separate worlds, but only one instance of entities, any block changes from animations and other interactive content would no longer work. Goodbye cover system of decrepit sewers. Goodbye sealable spider entrances of infested pit. Goodbye destroyable towers of Maro that send mobs plummeting to their doom. Goodbye elemental exercise branch and other interactive content that's handled in the same clever way. The system works for players, since they don't influence your gameplay, but when you implement the same system on active elements of it, you can't have mobs walking through obstacles or being stopped by thin air. What about command blocks? They'd still be separate for each world. Imagine a party of people exploiting underworld crypt fighters on 5 different worlds to make the boss fight 5 times easier. Don't forget to say your goodbyes to dozens, if not hundreds of mob persistence testers that strictly rely on vanilla entity mechanics either. Have fun remaking them all!

No more mob-world interaction as we know it. No more exciting command block features for boss fights and whatnot. No more multiplayer compatible cmd content that involves mobs spawning.

Outside of game content, it's a bad idea to leave any piece of software running forever, hence, server restarts would most likely still be needed even for your "dev world". Would entities periodically just disappear for a few minutes, rendering all worlds unplayable until they respawn? What would happen if something got loaded incorrectly, as sometimes happens on main worlds? Would the entire game just be completely unplayable until it automatically restarts in 3-4 hours? All this without even mentioning all the potential extra math that'd go into treating the ghosts as actual things, instead of mere projections, for every single world, both ways, with even more data being processed and exchanged in both quantity and types.

In a nutshell this might not be a bad idea on paper, but redesigning, changing and entirely remaking hundreds of features, core aspects and even places of the game, doesn't seem worth it for what's essentially 1 thing with it's own fair share of problems. I wouldn't classify town expansions and whatnot a viable solution for forcing ghosts on, since they'd still interfere with a lot of older not-so-multiplayer-friendly content, and have other issues alike. Keep in mind, that this is all just estimation and theory for the most part, with little to no inside information of Wynn's actual plans, resources and innerworkings, apart from the obvious. This is the suggestions section after all, and this is my personal take on it.

12. Theeef

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I said it would be cool, not that it should, would or can happen.

13. Runaiic

this is a good point, even if somehow you managed to avoid all of these things, synchronising an entity across several servers will come with its fair share of bugs other than the issues raised by aaronti, doing this would mean there has to be one central server that all servers communicate with, what happens when two players, due to lag, attempt kill the same mob? the amount of delay that would occur due to this would destroy performance. other than performance issues, there is also the fact that some players deliberately avoid other players whenever possible (so as to avoid lag, crowdedness or maybe they're just loners), doing this would force unwilling players to play in a way they're not accustomed to or reluctant to.

Aarontti likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.