1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

Dyeing Crafted Armor

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by GlacierHero, Feb 2, 2019.

?

Do you think it is a good idea?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlacierHero

GlacierHero Doppelganger of him VIP+

Minecraft:
    Hmm how did this become a thread about grammar

H0Y0Y0Y0Y0Y0B0Y and Tsuharu like this.
  2. JohnnyNubPotato

JohnnyNubPotato broke af HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Uh, no. You do know that like, 90% of all new material textures are just diamond axes with different durability values... right? Look, I'll give you a video to prove it's possible.

Also why should people have to sacrifice an item and grind for fifteen minutes for a simple re-texture? Sounds like a lot of hassle for something that should be just as easy as /relore and /rename...
    Also I'm sorry, but re-textures are cosmetic changes and Wynncraft is a business, meaning if they can use your idea to make some extra change, they will.

3. Runaiic

Runaiic laserlaserlaserlaserlaserlaserlaserlaserlaserlaser

Huge slip-up right there. While this may be true for ITEMS, armour pieces are actually models that fit onto entities. While you may be able to change the texture of an armour item, there is no way to modify the model of your armour. It's impossible without Optifine. The closest thing in vanilla would be custom helmets made with an item model, due to how the head armour has no moving parts.

I agree, even as a non-donator, I see where you're coming from. Wynncraft needs as much money as possible (while still being fair to all players, of course) from the players to keep the servers running. I don't mind looking like an ugly rag of shit if it means the servers run on better hardware to support more players and reset less often.
    (I don't donate because I'm a broke af student and my family would disown me if I were to spend money on games.)

4. GlacierHero

Minecraft:
    I see. Since grinding isn't much of a problem for me (especially I'm into crafting), I didn't consider someone having troubles with huge sacrifice yet small pay off. I will think about it.

Just to clarify something. I thought of using up a slot because of game balance. If dyeing armor without using a slot is ok, I would gladly choose that idea.

Lastly, yes. Wynncraft is a business, money is important and when it comes to developing better content, it is essential. Letting ranked player have a command to dye armor for free is, of course, a nice way to have players buy ranks, but I would like everyone to have access towards this function.

We shouldn't lock some features just to get others buy ranks unless a lot of work is put into it, and more importantly, it makes the player special. I'm not the one to determine the effort on developing features, but wearing dyed armor is basically wearing colored set armors but it is player crafted. From the cosmetic perspective, no one is special in this case. It isn't a strong argument to label this as a premium feature.

5. JohnnyNubPotato

JohnnyNubPotato broke af HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    crap my bad, thanks for the correction
    I would personally love it if players were able to freely customize their crafted items without buying a rank (A lot of really creative people are restricted from customizing their crafted items), however I do believe realistically Wynncraft isn't going to put more time and effort into giving players more cosmetic freedom when they could just as well make it a simple command for ranked players.

6. GlacierHero

Minecraft:
    The ranked player command is good. I expect it to be something like "/dye [hex/RGB]". My point is it looks unprofessional. Ok, "unprofessional" seems rude, but I mean when comparing to other in-game content, not other servers.

Maybe an example will clear things out:

Say, for instance, Wynncraft is introducing an emerald compacting mechanic (yea it is in the game I do know that). CT staffs go on discord or whatever they use to discuss stuff, and propose 2 ideas. One says "we can put a new merchant called 'emerald merchant' in the bank so players can exchange emeralds". The other says "well, we still have a bajillion tasks to complete so...Maybe we make it quick and easy with a simple command".

Yea. If I'm a CT staff and lazy, I would take the command path. It is easy to implement and benefits everyone. Just make a /stack command, loop through player inventory, auto picks up 64 emeralds and change that ItemStack to 1 block of emeralds and BAM! Super easy. Can be done in 2 minutes (yes, I do code plugins so I know). But if I'm a passionate CT staff that wants to improve Wynncraft, I would say no. You don't have a command IRL to compress your money. You have to go to a store, buy something, ask for a change. A command isn't realistic enough.

I'm not saying the command is a horrible idea. I'm saying it is unprofessional. Staff A is focused on efficiency, where CT can develop as quickly as possible with the least pressure putting on them. Staff B is focused on gameplay, where the players' interest is more important. From my years of Wynning, I can tell the CT is more on gameplay. Why? Look at the money system. Why bother creating an item (emerald) to represent cash, when the easiest way is to have a scoreboard system that keeps track of your money? Players can hold an almost infinite amount of them (2,147,483,647 is the max for Integer), developers can easily implement this function. Wynn-wynn situation, right? (I shall be stahped)

I saw countless RPGs in Minecraft using a scoreboard to keep track of everything, yet I play it for about 10 minutes, and say "Nah, Wynncraft is better." It is the gameplay. Other RPGs use MCMMO for skill sets, Wynncraft makes their own. Others use vanilla mobs with more and more hp but no skills at all, Wynncraft makes it way different.

I digress. The point is, as a developer, efficiency shouldn't be more important than gameplay; striking a balance between them should be. Comparing this to emeralds might be a stretch, but the logic applies. Frankly, if CT can handle a crafting system, nothing, and I mean nothing, would be too difficult for them. We suggest, and they consider. If they truly like the suggestions, no work is too much work. If they hate the suggestions, they can simply ignore and move on.

And please, take it as a grain of salt. I'm not representing CT here, but just speaking from my experience. I would gladly delete this if you think it is an insult to them.

TL;DR. In my opinion, a command for dyeing armor is the efficient way to do it, but applying through crafting is the more realistic (in-game) way to do it. Either is a viable option, the final decision is on CT.

Tsuharu and Druser like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.