1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

Class Idea: Monk

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Candras, Jan 7, 2021.

?

Balanced/New?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Needs Slight Balancing

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Meh

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Interesting but no (Why not?)

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. Definitely Not (Why if I may ask?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Candras

Candras Travelled Adventurer

Yes another one. However I pride myself on never repeating an idea that I have made before and trying to balance it/think it through.

Monk - VIP Bovine Believer (just for fun lol)

I know many have looked for a melee class rather than a ranged class so here it is. The spells incorporate a unique twist that is the basis of the class and should hopefully require a different way to play.

R-L-R 8* Earth Shattering Fist (Yes this is the naming theme, enjoy :D)
    1. Next punch will do 150% damage with an explosion - 30% fire 20% earth.
    2. Next two punches will do 150% damage
    3. Mob's hit will be slowed and punches will deal 200% damage.

This is different as it doesn't directly cast, but rather relies on hitting the enemy with a melee hit making it much harder to spam and will require you to get even closer than assassin or warrior as spells won't have a lot (if any) range.

R-R-R 2* then 1*/sec Rush of the Predator
    1. While active become immune to knockback and gain 150% (multiplicative of base) move speed.
    2. Take 30% less damage while under the effects and clear any negative effects (e.g. slowness)
    3. Momentum - Next hit will under the effects will deal +50% air damage. The effect will last for up to 2 secs after the spell ends (stacks with other spells)

R-L-L 8* Thousand Fist Flurry
    1. Deal 5 punches (not required to hit with this one - treat it as a multi hit spell) affected by main attack damages as well as spell damage. Spells that require punches will also activate upon hits with this spell.
    60% per punch 20% lightning 15% air.
    2. Deal 10 punches at twice the speed. 40% per punch 20% lightning 15% air.
    3. Concussive blows - enemy gets stunned for 1 second after effect ends.

The spell should last 2.5 seconds at all tiers so no stun lock and also a high mana cost.

R-R-L 12* Mantra of Heaven
    1. For 3 seconds double melee dps.
    2. Get +50% move speed.
    3. Take 30% less damage.

So the way this spell works is it doubles melee dps. Spell 3 and one work off this which is the way I did my calculations in a comment i left lower. It slightly increases your survivability which imo is important for this class as well as increasing move speed which let's you potentially use mana retained for sprint and let's you run if need be.

Last but not least, the semi-joke vip spell names

Heaven-shattering Hooves,
    Charge of the Bull
    Stampede of Slaughter
    Bovine Mantra

As a summary, it relies on it's movement skill to get in close and then its other skills to blow up the enemy. It should be able to do a lot of damage both as a spell build and melee build with it's 3rd and 4th spell although both would have drawbacks.

Weapon:
    Fists. Obviously. That being said, the question arises, should it be an empty hotbar slot? If so then how would you use items? would it just be armour? Not very applicable imo. Personally, I say make the weapon something along the lines of brass knuckles and perhaps take some textures away from the assassin - mainly the gauntlets but not claws.

The weapon recipe would be string and paper imo although maybe string and ingots.

Damage: *****
    Defence: ***
    Range: *
    Spells:****

Ok, i have looked over the spells myself and this is the playstyle I would use on first glance.
    For a heavy melee, the spell combo (if any) would be the spell 4 spell 3 combo which lets me do 28k dps for the duration of the spells. Spell one would likely not help too much with heavy melee as it would require you to hit the enemy twice with a super slow weapon. OTOH, with a mana potion, you could potentially add it into the mix and go spell 4, spell 1, spell 3 as spell 3 would activate it giving you the extra damage.

For a spell build, I would be looking to cycle that together without the mana potion and adding in spell 2 - spell 4, spell 1, spell 2, spell 3. Combining and stacking as many effects as possible and resetting the costs at the same time. Spell 4 would double the damage, spell 1 would buff spell 3, and spell 2 would buff the first hit of spell 1. This would amount to (((250%*2)+50%*2)) + (250%*2) + (10*(40%*2)) = 23* melee dps (If I got that right and spells work with melee dps.)

As a whole this means in built spell cycling while at the same time using all the spells for maximum benefit (spell 1 buffs spell 3, spell 2 is a gap closer, spell 4 buffs everything, and spell 3 deals the actual damage).

Tell me what you think. I'm not going to give this one Lore as it's difficult but I can definitely add it. It would probably be easier than some of the others i've tried.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  2. fishcute

fishcute fish VIP

Minecraft:
    As far as melee class suggestions go, I feel that this is pretty good. Very different from assassin or warrior and would probably support a different playstyle than them. However, I will say that the fourth spell seems to be the same as the first. If they stack they would probably be broken in the heavy melee department, and if they don't the first spell becomes nearly useless everywhere except in heavy melee.

3. Candras

So the first spell only activates on melee hits and gets bonuses from spell damage. The 4th spell doubles main attack but only gives 50% to spell damage. I don't think first spell would get much from heavy melee unless I don't understand how spells calculate damage which could very possibly be the case.

Basically, the intent was, they stack, but 4th spell gives a +50% bonus to spell one. Don't forget the mana drain though, and the cost. I think the mana drain wouldn't be affected by intelligence either so you need more mr/ms than you might like. I don't think heavy melee would be able to use it for very long considering the fact that just one cast of spell 4 and 1 would be 20 mana and you'd get 325% spells (if it is a simple multiplication of the two spells 250% * 150%). Of course, I don't know how strong heavy melee can be so if you can do a ridiculous amount of damage in two hits considering the super slow attack speed (am I right in assuming that?), then tbh, idk how to balance it while keeping it the same spell - perhaps just a lower multiplier.

Tbh, I'm surprised the third spell wasn't mentioned in your evalutation. Being affected by main attack damage, you would be able to do 10 punches in 2.5 secs or 2 attacks per second - slightly slower than fast which would effectively be an 800% damage boost for the cost of 12 mana iirc. I think it would be best to make the 4th spell not stack with that as that could lead to some rather nasty combinations if you get enough int to cast both.

So the calculations that i made said that 3rd 4th spell combo using a heavy melee build from the discord would be 28k dps for all your mana to use both spells.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  4. Candras

Ok so the verdict on the 4th 3rd spell combo is this.

(800% damage * 8832) /10 = 70656 in total

this means 7k per punch. Considering that the 3rd spell effectively raises attack speed to super fast for 2.5 secs, this means 7k punches at 4 punches/sec = 28k dps. I don't personally think that is too bad, esp considering this took an endgame build to get.

Also, bear in mind the mana cost, a full 20 mana cost to be able to use the combo at all with no int? This would leave you at no sprint, however you would have the +50% move speed from spell 4 so it wouldn't leave you too bad off either.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  5. quick007

quick007 Master Adventurer

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    oh no

6. Candras

Ooooh Yeeees :D.

Tbf, you could at least take a look at it. I know there are a lot that just vomit their dreams onto the page, but I did try to balance this one. If it isn't balanced, tell me and I'll try to balance it.

7. fishcute

fishcute fish VIP

Minecraft:
    I kind of feel that the first and fourth spell still have the same effect: Buffing damage by a %. The details in how it works are slightly different, but they still do the same thing. I don't really like that, even if they stack. Also, usually the 4th spell has some crowd control ability, while the first spell is either the utility one or another damage spell.

Also the third spell is probably mostly balanced, since spell damage takes attack speed into account. This spell only will deal 240% dps, since it deals 60% 4 times a second. That's completely reasonable, although it does have a long duration so taking regular melee attacks into account you deal a bit more. Maybe it could be nerfed to 50%.

And lastly, I was mostly wondering how this factors into quake, since that's where heavy melee gets most of it's damage from. Heavy melee actually doesn't really measure dps, but rather how much damage you can do in one blow.

8. Candras

I think spell 4 just has to be a utility spell? either way, Spell one is pretty much the only aoe this class has so it is inherently different to the other spells in that way. Spell 4 would be pure damage, whereas spell 1 would help vs a large horde of weak enemies - something which is more prevalent. Also, it's other tiers are more utility as well, tier 2 allows you to dip into sprint mana as you get the 50% boost to ws, whereas the Tier 3 helps you surive in order to be able to get out of a sticky situation.

I'd say it is more of a combination spell. You can use it for the pure damage, combining it with spell three, you can use it to buff the aoe of spell 1, or you can just use it with spell 2's dmg resist and knockback to get the hell out of somewhere. Also, tier 3 of spell 1 adds in more utility to the spell by slowing enemies hit, this would also separate it from spell 4.

Basically, spell 4 is just a large self-buff. And I would term that as utility, it might be similar to how other spells double damage as well, but considering that the two stack, I would say it is utility rather than any other 1/3rd spell.

As for quake, idk tbh. I feel like making spell 4 double the damage of that would be slightly too strong. 800% earth damage in one hit aoe is quite frankly absurd to me. It might make the class overpowered in that it can just burst through even bosses way too quickly with that.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  9. Purple Pope I

Purple Pope I *:^)=Immortal=(^:* CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Don't you mean double damage since DPS is literally just how much damage you do a second (Depending on your weapon-speed can be 100 to 30000 so)

Maybe drop to 150% for the first punch and then scale up by 50% Otherwise seems alright

Could just give 'em a big stick, but I like the gloves too.

Also I really like that you added in ideas for what combos and playstyles would come from it.
    Do you have any idea of any major ID's for the monk?

Also is their Lore just a religious fanatic?

Got my vote

10. Candras

So the double melee dps was so that it calculates the dps then doubles that, then spells get based off of that. It could otherwise go double melee damage, which means double melee dps, spells get calculated off that, then that gets doubled. It was just so that it was clear and no misconceptions but otherwise is just wording.

Big stick would work, I don't know if mage has any staves in it's textures. At the same time it might not fit the spells but oh well. It's an option.

Lore would probably be either religious warrior or fanatic. Probably from gavel originally, spread to fruma, then got into wynn that way. I can write the Lore if you want, I don't think it would be too difficult for this class Idea.

For a major ID, a possiblity could be: "Barehanded: all punches land faster." So it would be basically depressing wep - so 1 damage, maybe with lower defence. But increased attack speed by 1 tier and faster spells?

11. Fire_Ice_Foxx

Fire_Ice_Foxx Idiot running around, Lonely. CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    I have literally been thinking about a monk class, but this completely rivals what I've been thinking it would play out. xD

12. Aemor

Aemor Skilled Adventurer

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I see these kind of ideas pretty often where you get a certain buff for x seconds, i think it would be a lot better if youre class had spells (for example make 3 big hits or something like that) that give extra buffs, not purely buffs without any spell. Kind of like how Warscream works, you push enemies back and get extra buffs.

Overall i think your class is pretty similar to assassin, especially with the 2nd and 3rd Spell - so i voted interesting but no

13. tinycyan

tinycyan Travelled Adventurer

monk more like monkey

14. Candras

helpful. That said, he is pretty agile ;)

Onto actual replies.
    My intention wasn't an assassin copycat but looking at it from that perspective, it does somewhat look like that. The second spell was meant to be a gap closer and you can still take damage in it but having the +50% air damage on hit afterwards does make it seem like the sneak attack from vanish as well as the drain. Also the ws does parallel the vanish buff.

Same with the 3rd spell, the stun after effect is reminiscent of the multi-hit knockup.

I'll have to see if I can change those in any way while still keeping the general combo theme of the class.

As for the 4th spell being a pure buff, it is a utility spell and Mages heal could likewise be considered a pure buff. Same with archer's escape although that can deal damage. It is a secondary effect though. I personally feel that it is less a problem of having it deal no damage and more a problem of sticking within certain boundaries. damage spell, movement spell, damage spell, utility. This makes it constricting to try and create an original idea and as such I disagree with having to make it deal damage or have a damaging effect such as knockback. It is also somewhat the theme for the character. Self-buffs that apply on a condition e.g. hit an enemy - spell 1 is technically a buff, spell 2 gives a buff, spell 3 can benefit from these buffs, and spell 4 is a large buff except for damage rather than tankiness.

15. Muchwag

Muchwag Don’t call me Poliwhirl! VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I didn't actually read this so like yeah but the alternate class should be nun you dingus

16. Gohhena

Gohhena Travelled Adventurer CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    YES we need more classes haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.