1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

Better Tracking

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Puffiest, Oct 12, 2019 at 1:41 AM.

1. Puffiest

Puffiest Newbie Adventurer

Howdy, I'm quite new to wyncraft and I love it. There's just one hurdle that keeps me from putting a ton of time into it.

All I ask for is a better way to track quest locations. Perhaps a particle trail that the player can see to lead the way? Or a marker of just a few particles to point you in the right direction, in a "go here" kinda way.
    If those don't work even making the compass point towards the currently tracked item would go a long way.
    Few other servers manage to do this and Wyncraft is by far more complex than they are.

Now normally this wouldn't be an issue for me. Following cords isn't too hard; just annoying.
    But Wyncraft has some beautiful and sometimes complex terrain to navigate around.
    Example: I just did the pigman ravine quest and it took me way too long to do it. Doing the quest itself wasn't bad and I like that there's loads of content. But damn after that one quest I was just done because I spent so long trying to find the ravine, then find an entrance (turns out Ragni had a pathway right too it)

I'd love to put more time into the game but not when most of that time is spent trying to go to the quests :/
    Perhaps you could just say it's because I'm new/bad and that's fair. I play this rather casually and just wanna hop on, do quests, get items, and level up. Not get drained after spending time finding the quest.

To elaborate on the 2nd particle ideal: Have a line of emerald particles on a path, player goes to them, they despawn, and a new one appears heading closer to the tracked point.
    Also this doesn't have to apply to everything in the quests, just some or most.
    Sounds quite doable but time consuming for sure..

P.S yes the book tracking helps but my points kinda still stand imo. Not a make it or break it deal just would be a nice feature is all.

2. Selvut283

Selvut283 Circadian rhythm stuck on Tokyo time Staff Member Moderator ♪ Music Item Team HERO GM

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    The problem there is that a lot of people don't enjoy handholding of that nature. Going out and exploring and utilizing the Wynncraft map on our site is generally enough, and if we told you exactly the place to go every time, it'd get pretty boring after a while. I'd recommend checking the map for advice if you need help on where to go in the world. While it is slightly outdated, the layouts of basically every area in the game are the same, so it's a great reference.

The Pigman's Ravine is a bit confusing to navigate for a first-timer, but the area is actually extremely small and self-contained. There are a couple other confusing areas later on in the game...in retrospect, most of them happen to be canyons or ravines, but anyways. Most quests won't force you to go through huge mazes, and adding that kind of feature to quest tracking would be trickier than it seems. Unless we created each path manually from each possible location, the lines would inevitably lead you into a wall like what seems to have happened with you already. And that wouldn't be difficult necessarily, but it'd be incredibly and prohibitively time-consuming.

If I'm not mistaken, the compass does point in the direction...I always remember that being a thing but I never pay attention to it, so I'm not certain.

3. Minitinipower

Minitinipower Join me in coffee and philosophy

Minecraft:
    The emerald trail could be toggled?
    So if you don't find the place, you could then toggle it and get just follow the trail.

4. Puffiest

Mean yeah no valid points. I was using the wynnmap and it helps to an extent but not being able to rotate it doesn't allow me to fully utulize it.
    Same though I thought to compass did too so I checked to make sure I wasn't missing something but it just points the same direction the map's compass does so you see the 'north' I guess.

Perhaps there's no easy solution to this, n like I said I'm new and maybe this is just coming from my casual perspective. I am able to navigate pigman ravine at ease now so your point still stands.

Are client-side mini-maps allowed? I was looking for a rules page but couldn't come across one for approved mods. Maybe that'll handle some navigation hurdles.

5. Selvut283

Selvut283 Circadian rhythm stuck on Tokyo time Staff Member Moderator ♪ Music Item Team HERO GM

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Client-side minimaps are allowed, with the caveats of all types of entity radar must be disabled, which includes player radar, and cave maps must also be disabled.

6. Puffiest

Sounds about right c: thanks will note.