Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

why the sprint bar is bad

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by turtletop, Dec 18, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aya

Aya Very Serious Gensokyo Journalist HERO

Minecraft:
    Bro it's a videogame where you can cast spells that allow you to shoot 40 arrows in a single second one by one. Do their arms not get tired?
    To be fair I hate hunger systems in basically every game because they are just an annoying interruption to the actual gameplay that I would wish to just avoid so (no, food also being a source for healing doesn't make the hunger bar any less annoying. Just turn food into healing items like in old Minecraft)

As for my actual opinion on the sprint bar: Yeah it is annoying, specially early on. Just get rid of it, it is the player's fault if they bring their own mana below 30% and they can no longer sprint temporarily because of it. That's good enough as it encourages managing of mana. The sprint bar adds nothing to the game.

2. Elytry

Elytry Currently Spiralling (depression) VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:

3. TigerYaisou

TigerYaisou Famous Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    i think that for quite a few areas, using your movement spells makes them feel MORE immersive rather than less. using the grapping hook in cotl or sky islands for example makes you feel so cool, and honestly i think movement options in this game are one of the main reasons i like it so much
    in terms of the sprint bar, its kinda annoying sometimes but i think it exists to incentivize using movement abilities. a new player might just never use them since running is easier and more familiar to them

Krooza, Elytry and Aya like this.
  4. Elytry

Elytry Currently Spiralling (depression) VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I completely agree, but not having the option to walk around the world is why the sprint bar is bad. There are some times when I just want to walk around, but you already have to deal with monsters, and then there's the sprint bar.
    Fair, although I'm not quite sure why a new player wouldn't try their newest spell.

Krooza likes this.
  5. Deusphage

Deusphage gruesome grue Modeler CHAMPION Builder

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Then WALK around. If you want to WALK AROUND then WALK and don't SPRINT.

3: and uuuuuuuuuuuuh like this.
  6. GlitchPlay

GlitchPlay Well-Known Adventurer

Why not just give slowness that depends on how much speed the player has

7. Krooza

Krooza Professional dumbass

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    That's not what they are saying though. When you are walking through mob infested lands (pretty much everywhere) it's a jolly pain in the arse to have your speed cut in half, have to stop sprinting so your mana doesn't get depleted, continue walking slowly and getting more beaten up until sprint refreshes. Either that or you teleport out and have no mana for anything else.

In a boss fight when your sprint runs out trying to distance from the boss you have to use your movement spell, then If you need any other spell any time soon too bad, you're fucked. I have died to bosses too many times because of this. Why should a little bit of sprinting get me killed? Even in real life that little bit of sprinting wouldn't have anywhere near the effect. This is a server where everyone basically has superpowers. So why then does a tiny bit of sprinting make you such an easy kill? It might make sense if it was a side affect of another ability, but it isn't. It happens to EVERYONE no matter their character's strengths or weaknesses.

It is a game. Games are meant to be enjoyable. Name something enjoyable that the sprint bar adds. Go on. I'll wait.

You might say that it isn't for joy, it is to stop players scaling walls or whatever you said. Well let me introduce you to mana. You need spells to scale walls, spells cost mana, and when your mana runs out you can't cast the spell anymore. How is the sprint bar helping here? It isn't. And even if there is a genuinely good reason similar to that there will always be people with fancy builds who can do it anyway.

My point is, the sprint bar is doing more harm than good.

Anyway, you having your opinion and defending it is perfectly fine. But there is no need to be so fucking rude about it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
  8. Deusphage

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    It doesn't stop you from sprinting.
    I've had to explain my argument to this once person thrice now, and every single time it's basically been entirely ignored why their idea physically wouldn't work in Minecraft, and why the sprint system is tied to mana.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
  9. Krooza

Krooza Professional dumbass

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    and when it is relevant, god its annoying

Elysium_, Elytry and Aya like this.
  10. GlitchPlay

yes but if it's slower than walking then there's no point in sprinting

11. Deusphage

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    sprinting is quite literally faster than walking

12. TheLMiffy1111

TheLMiffy1111 Previous Leader Of A Revived Wynn Community CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Ok.

What advantage does sprinting exactly have over movement spells?
    The answer is finer control over your movement. That's it. Which means parkour.
    Therefore, sprint bar can really be removed without impacting gameplay much at all.

However, I'd say the sprint bar can be kept if it more visible, for example if it is moved to bossbars, as the 4 bossbar limit doesn't exist, and even if an arbitrary limit of 4 was set, you could just merge info bars as they don't matter in normal gameplay.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2023
  13. Selvut283

Selvut283 Circadian rhythm stuck on Tokyo time ♪ Music Item Team GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    "There's a built-in limitation we can't get around that prevents us doing This."
    "no that doesnt exist"

There's also the fact that with so many boss bars it creates a lot of issues with clarity- there's just too much information everywhere on the screen and we don't want to fill it up too badly with clutter. Especially people with smaller screens would struggle to see anything. Also, describe what you mean by "merge". There's a boss bar for guilds, a boss bar for enemy stats, and a boss bar for certain class-related meters(focus, flow state, etc.) How would we MERGE those together and still keep the information legible?

14. TheLMiffy1111

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    no it really doesn't exist

i find the the guild bar to be, well, not too useful; perhaps under some circumstances it could be overridden by other bars

also i've slightly edited the post, the main problem with the sprint bar is that it very often gets overridden by spell info and coordinate info, so separating these may also work

15. Deusphage

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    It already is.

16. TheLMiffy1111

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    please elaborate thanks

17. Deusphage

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    It's already replaced by other information. We only have a limited amount of boss bars, and we don't want to make the UI look like a ubisoft game, so we already cram information together. If there is an ongoing bomb in the world, double XP weekend, or similar, the information on the top bar will cycle.

18. TheLMiffy1111

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    yes i know, selvut referred to it as "guild bar" when in reality it's the "info bar"
    just that you can certainly fit things into 4 bars

19. GlitchPlay

I think you misunderstood what I meant: My idea is whenever you sprint while your sprint bar is empty it'll be slower than walking, basically you'll gain slowness when sprinting but whenever you start walking again the slowness effect will be removed

20. 3:

3: farlands pumpkin farlands pumpkin HERO

Minecraft:
    In case someone on this thread finds it useful, I measured that...
    • You're able to sprint for ~37.5 seconds with the sprint bar alone
    • With a base mana of 100 and no mana regen, you can sprint for an additional ~5 seconds. Upgrading mana in any way greatly increases this time.
    • It takes ~20 seconds for the sprint bar to renegerate from 0 to full. Also note, that mana and stamina can regenerate at the same time.

And to avoid confusion on the terms used in this post:
    • Hunger: The vanilla minecraft hunger bar
    • Stamina: Wynncraft's sprinting meter
    • Mana: Wynncraft's mana. Self explanatory
    • Boss bar: Wither/enderdragon health bar at the top of the screen
    • Action bar: The line of text that's above item names. Currently used for coordinates, etc

If I recall, one of the original intents of limited sprinting, according to Salted himself, was to prevent players from fleeing away from every dangerorus encounter. While I can't say that the mechanic accomplished this too well, it's still not as useless as you think. I feel that modern games have conditioned players to mindlessly go from point A to point B as fast as possible, without thinking much about what they're doing or why they're doing it. It's pretty safe to say that this is neither fun or engaging, and isn't a very good way to play wynncraft. However, when you hamper the player's movement every now and then, the player is encouraged to stop and look around for a moment. For example: "Alright, now that I can't move, I might as well look around me. Oh, what's that? An interesting looking cave next to me? Lemme go explore that shit for a sec". Don't believe me? Just look at how people praise the new Zelda games and shit on Ubisoft's open world games.

Sidenote: Whenever you do just wanna go fast, all you need to do is alternate between sprinting and using your mobility spells. You really can upkeep a constant streak of fast movement, even without any mana improvements. Took me a while to realize that this is even a problem for some people. It isn't rocket science that 20 seconds of movement spells is more advantageous than 5 seconds of sprinting.

There is technically a way for servers to directly stop a player from sprinting, unrelated to hunger. However, it can't be used to prevent sprinting altogether, since the player can always start sprinting again, resulting in a constant back and forth of sprinting and not sprinting, 10 times a second at worst. Even if you could somehow get around this, there is still the issue that you can't sprint at 6 hunger or less. Hence, even if players were given unlimited sprint, as was suggested, there would still be no way to sprint if your mana was too low. The only real solution to stop mana and sprinting from being intertwined, is to just not use hunger to display mana. I guess the reason why hunger was originally chosen for mana display is because it's such a core mechanic of Wynncraft, so it deserves a highly visible spot. However, with minecraft getting more UI elements over the years, I really think it's time to move it elsewhere.

Like @TheLMiffy1111 suggested, I really like the idea of combining info in boss bars. Something to keep in mind though, is that there is a cap of 64 characters per bossbar (Checked this. Not true). I know it's already been said that having more than 1 bar can look pretty terrible and clutter up the screen, but 2 would still be in the realm of feasibility. For example, have 1 bossbar for all tertiary info such as guilds, boss health and whatever it's already being used for, but dedicate another bossbar just for the player's mana. It's a pretty perfect drop-in replacement since it's highly visible and comes with both, text and a bar. Meanwhile, stamina could be moved back to the vanilla hunger bar. Additional benefits from these changes is the fact, that they'd free up a lot of space from the action bar, since you'd no longer need to display sprint or mana on it. You could, for example, always keep the coordinate display up.

It doesn't really break anything, but it is a little lame whenever you have to wait to try again. Considering that the game already uses a system to disable movement spells for some parkour sections, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to give unlimited stamina for those sections in particular. Get the best of both worlds, without the need to butcher out an existing game mechanic :)

With explanations:
    [​IMG]

Blank:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1. Boss names aren't actually capped to 64 characters. The internet lied to me
    [​IMG]
    Eyo, what the fuck, I had no idea this was a thing. I had to try this out myself and I still didn't believe it when I saw it with my own eyes

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.