1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Guide We Do A Little Testing (part 1: Assassin)

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by touhoku, May 20, 2021.

?

What Class Next?

1. Archer

2. Mage

3. Shaman

4. Warrior

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. touhoku

touhoku heavy spell pioneer VIP+ Item Team

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Welcome to part 1 of a hopefully 5 part series where we go through immense pain to test the mechanics of each class, namely the range of its melee and spells. This was done mostly on my housing plot, and future tests will be as well—feel free to visit if you see me online, it's usually public!

With that out of the way, here is the good stuff. The big idea: Assassin functions best as a class when you are diagonally away from your target. Yep. hhhhhhhhhh

Let's do melee, then the spells in order.

I. Melee

To understand the way any of this works, we first have to understand the way Wynncraft registers hitboxes for its entities. Intuitively, it would make sense to just press F3 + B and use the hitbox Minecraft displays, right? No. That would be logical. This is Wynncraft. Instead, each mob has its own hitbox that Wynncraft uses when calculated if a melee attack or spell hits. In the case of the combat dummy, we figured this out to be an extension from the Minecraft hitbox by 1.4 blocks in each cardinal direction. This results in a cuboid hitbox, with length/width 3.4 blocks and height 4.8 blocks centered at the center of the dummy.

Assassin's melee attack is a beam, three blocks in length. This beam can go in any direction (including vertically), and has no height or width itself. If the three block long beam intersects the hitbox of a mob at any point, it registers a hit.

This interaction between a sphere (the set of points an Assassin's beam can possibly hit) and a cuboid shape (the dummy hitbox) leads to some bizarre interactions; here's an illustration:

[​IMG]

The blue point in the top right is where the player stands. The black point at (0,0) is the center of the combat dummy. The inner square represents the MC display of the dummy's hitbox, but the outer square is the hitbox as Wynncraft calculates it. The circle represents the further an Assassin can hit if it aims in that direction. You can see from this graph that if the player aims straight at the dummy, they can't hit it, because the circle falls short of the square. HOWEVER, if you aim approximately 10 degrees right of the cardinal south, there is a small window where the circle DOES intersect the square, and true enough, you can hit the dummy when facing this way. This is a really strange phenomenon to experience in game; if you want to (and have an Assassin), come to my housing to see for yourself.

What does this mean? Well, a couple of things. First off, it is possible to hit mobs behind you while playing Assassin. However, to do that you clearly need to be within the mob's Wynncraft hitbox. It also means that aiming directly at an enemy is not actually always optimal in terms of maximizing melee range—if you are neither head on or directly diagonal, you will have a longer range if you aim towards the near corner of the hitbox.

II. Spin

Spin interacts with the same hitbox melee does, but with (arguably) less bizarre consequences. Mechanically, the Spin Attack deals damage in a cube with side length 7.2 blocks centered around the player, meaning up to 3.6 blocks horizontally forwards and backwards. The direction you are facing does not appear to matter (god I hope—more on this in section V).

Yep, that's right. Melee has spherical boundaries, but the attack called SPIN is a cube. m.

Because there are no circles involved (i.e., both spin and enemy hitboxes are cubic or cuboid), the "optimal" angle is exactly 45 degrees from every cardinal axis. Essentially, due to the geometry of a cube, the distance from the center directly to an edge is shorter than the distance to a corner. Therefore, optimal spin distance is achieved through being directly diagonal from the target.

III. Vanish

This one is pretty simple. Vanish has a vertical distance of approximately 13.5 blocks without jumping. We didn't test horizontal distance because pain and also its not particularly relevant (just vanish again lol).

IV. Multi-hit

Multi was initially very intimidating to test, as the particle effect displays has some very wonky behaviour. Because it is a block breaking particle, it seems to be locked to occurring only on blocks—it can't move diagonally in an optical sense. However, quick testing shows that multi behaves nearly exactly as melee does. Same 3-block beam, and any hitbox intersected goes through the multi-hit animation. However, multihit cannot be aimed upwards, so the total shape is a hemisphere rather than a sphere.

V. Smoke Bomb

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Ok so. At a base level, smoke behaves very similarly to spin; it's a cube, with a 8.8 block side length, so 4.4 blocks cardinally from the site of impact. This is basically good enough for all purposes, but there is some VERY weird behaviour within that. We tested smoke by facing straight down and hitting the ground. When facing forward then down, smoke's range is 4.4 blocks. However, if you face LEFT then down, it is 4.56. Right then down is 4.24. Back then down is still 4.4. This is true no matter which direction you are from the enemy; facing left relative to the target's position increases your range by around 0.16 blocks. We have literally no clue as to why this happens, but have mechanic ruled out smoke bomb spawning a bit to the right.

Aside from that quirk, the mechanic works basically the same as spin, with a larger cube.

We did not test Cherry Bombs, in part bc Assassin testing fatigue. Might come back to it later, but for now I can say that it is for sure a smaller shape than normal smoke, and likely is a cube.

VI. Closing

The end takeaway from this is that diagonal Assassin gets a bit more range than attempting to hit something head on. This is true for all of its damage spells and melee, and is really a consequence of the fact that Wynncraft hitboxes are (as far as I know) usually cuboid in shape and extend past the Minecraft ones. Furthermore, to land multis and melee hits, you might need to aim a bit away from where the target is visually.

Please vote on the poll for what class to suffer through next! I will try to keep up with this thread to answer any questions or clarify any of the info/methods.

Credits (testers)
    @hppeng
    @ferricles
    @Highmore
    @Gigavern
    @Muchwag (maybe idr)
    @Neptune (maybe idr)

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    BabyAlchemist, Ingo, Iboju and 49 others like this.
  2. 5hadowflame

5hadowflame untrained unprofessional idiot VIP+

Minecraft:
    We partake in a little experimentation

On a more serious note did you do anything with the time it takes to get your vertical boost from vanish after casting it once? I noticed that if you spam it takes a bit longer to get the boost back, relative to your point in the arc at least.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  3. Komi

Komi The Damselette HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Babe wake up new Touhoku thread dropped

4. 99loulou999

99loulou999 ArchangeList VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    all I need in my life is to know whats the delay between vertical vanish to fly ;_;

5. touhoku

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    We did not test this but I kinda suspect its lag dependent :/

6. Geshultz

Geshultz Skilled Adventurer CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    Interesting information here.

starx280, ThedumbOX and touhoku like this.
  7. Saya

Saya you win at uwynn VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    gotta love stuff being squares ,,

starx280, ThedumbOX, hppeng and 3 others like this.
  8. ocu

ocu penguin gang QA Modeler HERO GM

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    we tend to minorly dabble in the art of rigorously researching and or interacting with something to produce results.

9. Neptune

Neptune Self-proclaimed Az Cult Leader CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    its minecraft, its square
    making a circular hitbox within minecraft is scarily difficult,,,,,,,,,,,,,

anyways cool stuff yes but note should not matter that much in normal gameplay if you don't get hit and hit the thing

starx280, ThedumbOX, hppeng and 2 others like this.
  10. Qzphs

Qzphs Unskilled Adventurer VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    what was the context behind this figure? is this the max distance overall or from a single cast?

touhoku likes this.
  11. touhoku

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Just from a single cast without jumping—Highmore stood on the ground and we found the highest pillar he could get on top of with 1 vanish

Qzphs and hppeng like this.
  12. highbread

highbread highbread HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
  13. oinuk

oinuk c lown VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    i see numbers and graphs instant dislike

14. NamesAreHard

NamesAreHard Mage Enthusiast (She/He/They) CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Colleges better start having courses about this so y'all can get your wynncraft PHDs

starx280, ThedumbOX, touhoku and 4 others like this.
  15. Crokee

Crokee Nudist poking eyes CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Soon:tm:

16. Komi

Komi The Damselette HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    starx280, ThedumbOX, touhoku and 2 others like this.
  17. oinuk

oinuk c lown VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    uwu at uwynn

18. touhoku

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Not taking math this quarter so the calculator on my desk is being put to... a different use.

starx280, NamesAreHard and oinuk like this.
  19. ferricles

ferricles Rhyming is fun HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I am, could you ship it to me for educational purposes (not at all affiliated with UWynn)

starx280, oinuk and touhoku like this.
  20. touhoku

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    ferricles boutta doxx themself live on Wynncraft forums over a TI-84

starx280 and oinuk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.