1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

The Future of the Wiki

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by Da Homeboi, Oct 10, 2023.

?

Should the Wiki move off of Fandom?

1. Absolutely, Fandom is dogshit

2. Yes, Fandom is bad but it has a few perks

3. I couldn't care if the wiki stays on Fandom or not

4. I'd prefer if we stay on Fandom

5. No, Fandom is a great option

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PotatoGamerEZ

PotatoGamerEZ Epic Gamer

Minecraft:
    Oh yeah, does "vandalizing" the wiki mean that we post absolutely random stuff on the pages? Cuz idk what it means

2. Da Homeboi

Da Homeboi scream at me if somethings wrong with the wiki HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Vandalizing is putting useless content on a wiki page. For example:

Replacing an informative wiki page with "lmao xd get vandalized"

Replacing a page's content with some advertisement

And other stuff like this.

Don't vandalize the Fandom wiki even after we move bc all itll just do is reinforce the Fandom wiki in SEO and not the new wiki. All that'll change is that we just won't do anything to stop it once we've moved.

TrapinchO likes this.
  3. AmbassadorDazz

AmbassadorDazz Discord Killjoy Staff Member Moderator HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Solution: Collectively quit editing anything on Fandom with no notice besides internally (and a community heads-up post - I approve it personally). A few people will still continue editing because they don't know better, but the Admins did mention that the new wiki will get a shoutout.

As a side note, if they (Fandom) start sending notices as to why you abandoned the old wiki (i.e. no updates to any of the pages in a very long while), straight up ignore them and burn the bridges. You can ask the developer of IndieWikiBuddy to add the freshly moved Wynncraft Wiki to the redirection list once the migration is complete, so anyone with the extension installed will see a persistent notice that Fandom cannot deal with.

Never give (or have reasons to give) Fandom the benefit of positive user retention/clicks.

4. TrapinchO

TrapinchO retired observer of the wiki VIP+ Featured Wynncraftian

Minecraft:
    I am not sure whether that would be allowed - to copy the wiki's contents and move on.
    Not too bad of an idea though.

Regarding the new wiki, I would prefer wiki.gg, maybe ABXY.

5. Da Homeboi

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Major update #1: A form has been made for where the wiki will migrate to. Fill this out and share it with as many Wynncraft players as you can.

https://forms.gle/MDv3ATRsxTkgNMQh8

Gogeta, Pumpkinn, Dream and 3 others like this.
  6. Pumpkinn

Pumpkinn Well-Known Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    Personally I would happily help doing some of the more manual work of trying to just paste over the wiki stuff we already into wherever it goes.

7. Gameknight14

Gameknight14 Newbie Adventurer

Minecraft:
    I was fine with the ads, I have an adblocker. My only concern is the amount of upkeep this requires and its public nature. As far as I know, fandom wikis can be edited by anyone. By moving it to the wynncraft website, only trusted individuals who are experienced with the game can edit it. Plus, the search bar feature has stopped working for me as of today and I can't get it to appear again.

8. Ava Cart

Ava Cart If you don't like Ava you die CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    oh ye I've seen that bug too

9. PotatoGamerEZ

PotatoGamerEZ Epic Gamer

Minecraft:
    I just saw something INSANE on a wiki. So today, I decided to go on a different game's wiki to find some information. The moment that the page loaded, I got a FULL SCREEN ad instead of the usual. I think that Fandom is definitely getting worse and worse.

(sorry i couldn't get a screen shot)

10. ikako

ikako Skilled Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    the wynncraft wiki has an advantage over the minecraft one: wynntils. if wynntils makes the default links for when you open quest pages and such in the quest book the new one, that would redirect a good amount of the players to the new one. yes it's only the more hardcore players who use wynntils but those are the same players who will repeatedly use the wiki, casual players might only use it for one or two specific things.

Earthbrine, Gogeta, ZockerCam and 2 others like this.
  11. Avallon

Avallon Me Builder

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    Is there really nothing there can be done about Fandom keeping wynncraft wiki page up despite no one wanting it xd? well anyway, good luck with that, definitely looking forward to the migration

12. ZockerCam

ZockerCam Travelling sorcerer. Master of Wind Magic. VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Since I've never worked on the wiki, I am in no position to decide on this. Just some input:

BUT... I personally don't get ads?

Fandom always looks like this for me:
    (there is only that one honest trailer video that doesn't really bother me)
    Screenshot 2024-01-08 010036.png

I have no ad blocker on this browser btw... so I simply ask: is it worth the effort to move, especially when Fandom is still going to be the top search result?

also how many people get insane levels of ads and how many people only experience what I experience?

(this is not meant to defend Fandom)

13. PlasmaWarrior

PlasmaWarrior Fishomancer HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    It's a lot worse on mobile.

14. Sir_Doomed

Sir_Doomed Can't think of anything to put here

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Don't underestimate casual players. The wiki was pretty much the only reason I completed my first playthrough.

15. Da Homeboi

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Not a necropost cuz this has valid discussion contribution: after many weeks of procrastination, a request was made to move to wiki.gg!

This does not mean that we are instantly over there, but stay tuned for updates on this.

Blazius, cmosier, Gogeta and 9 others like this.
  16. Iced0ut

Iced0ut yes

great! cant wait for it.

17. VerseLaFlamme

VerseLaFlamme Travelled Adventurer

I absolutely hate fandom, chrome freaked out whenever I opened it before I installed adblockers.

18. Da Homeboi

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    On another update, the new wiki is preparing for public release! Some extra stuff will have to be done for polishing the final product, but there is light at the end of the tunnel!

In order to prepare for this:
    • Do not change the Fandom wiki. This is mainly to reduce the amount of stuff that has to be ported over to wiki.gg. This also includes vandalism or corrections, as clicks are engagement and will harm the wiki's place in the search results.
    • Try your best to avoid Fandom links at the time being, again because of search enginge optimization.
    • Spread the word! Let as many Wynncraft players that you know that the new wiki will be on wiki.gg and not Fandom.
    And if you really want to help out as many independent wikis as possible, as @AmbassadorDazz (iirc sry if i got it wrong but you know who you are!) mentioned, get the Indie Wiki Buddy extension, and preferably set it to auto-redirect you to the independent wiki. The Wynncraft Wiki, once it's moved to wiki.gg, will submit a form for it to be covered by Indie Wiki Buddy.

EDIT: Salted has also made Fandom get rid of the official wiki tag on the Fandom wiki! Some issues have to be resolved with some templates on wiki.gg but we're nearing the end of this chapter!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
  19. PotatoGamerEZ

PotatoGamerEZ Epic Gamer

Minecraft:
    YEAAA FINALLY AN ALTERNATIVE TO FANDOM LETS GO

20. Da Homeboi

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Update: We're almost there! Just maybe a few extra tweaks here and there but the wait is almost over!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.