1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Community Event Potato Cipher Solved

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by ccccccccccccccc, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orange0404

orange0404 corkus is actually here HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    how does this relate, cause i think we've seen this be4

2. e!

e! ⁣e HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    oh

3. CyrenArkade

CyrenArkade Well-Known Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    Nice!
    10char

4. yosteric5

yosteric5 The Builder of walls VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
  5. redx475

redx475 SysAdmin HERO

Minecraft:
    Little bit of a write-up since I know most people involved aren't too familiar with code and I figure at this point it's only fair to show how the cipher worked.

The first thing to note is that the cipher obviously does not just deal with alphanumeric characters. The exact selection of characters is characters 33 to 126 in the ascii table which, for those not aware, are all letters (uppercase and lowercase), numbers, and a few symbols but no whitespace. This selection was chosen both to throw off any use of online cipher tools (which mostly deal with alphanumeric ciphers) and because it's the largest block in the ascii table that doesn't include whitespace or control characters (backspace/delete/etc).

Now, the cipher is made up of two parts - a modified rotation and a number of base64 encodes. First, base64 is run a number of times on the starting string. This is done for two reason - base64 increases the length of the string, making it impossible to analyse based on length, and also because base64 is fairly recognizable (this is important if someone figured out the rotation step).

Rotation is a modified caesar cipher (sometimes known as rotX - rot13 would be a caesar cipher where each character was rotated 13). The modification is that there is an additional rotation for each index of the string.

Let's say our initial (caesar) rotation is called x (, and the additional rotation is called y. I'm only going to use capital letters here for simplicity's sake, not the full subset of ascii as explained above.

x = 2
    y = 2
    Input: A B C D E F G - the initial input string (ignore spaces, they are there for formatting reasons)
    ROT2: C D E F G H I - this is the basic caesar rotation (in this case it is rotated 2 characters, hence ROT2)
    Index: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 - The index of each character.
    Index*y: 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 - Multiply y times the index value. This is the additional amount the character will be rotated.
    ROT2+i*y: C F I L O R U - Add the Index*y rotation to the result of ROT2

Therefore, ROTPLUS(ABCDEFG, 2, 2) = CFILORU

In the full algorithm, (let's call it ENCODE(input, bcount, x, y)), ABCDEFG would be encoded with base64 a number of times, and characters other than
    alphanumeric would be used as well. Therefore:

ENCODE(ABCDEFG, 5, 2, 2) = Xq$icbg.fl$l!Npu!xlE'r@++F*52P&0AT:YE8JKE>g

An interesting property of the modified rotation is that undoing it just requires passing negative parameters. ROTPLUS(CFILORU, -2, -2) = ABCDEFG.

Now, for those more technically inclined here's the original code used to create the cipher (in javascript): https://pastebin.com/3kLdRnCa

I will say that the use of base64 probably made this harder than it should have. It was intended to both obfuscate the length of the original string and also to make brute-forcing possible, but it also cut out anyone trying to solve without writing code. Including the base64 encoding in my original hints probably would have helped a bit. That said, I'm not sure anyone would have figured out the modified rotation without doing so anyway.

Overall I think this cipher might have been unfair to some, but it also brought out a bunch of members of the community I didn't know we had and I was impressed by quite a few individuals.

This was the first time I've personally designed a cipher for this community, so it was interesting seeing how people responded. There are definitely some things that should have been done differently, though it worked out in the end.

EDIT:

Oh, as for the "delet this" cipher it was partially a joke, partially to give a shorter cipher to play around with. It was encoded in the same way with different parameters, but I guess it didn't end up helping.

6. Plymouth

Plymouth Why do you read this CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    whoa that's pretty good

7. WynnChairman

WynnChairman Chairman of Wynn HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    wtf

8. CountBurn

CountBurn Hackysack? HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    so about a weeks progress, a target and some boxes with people in them and still no answers to anything

9. euouae

euouae euouae VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    JP is teasing us now

what if we do all these puzzles and it ends up being a dead meme update like bloomi

Aya, ThomAnn100 and ploo like this.
  10. NotAFish

NotAFish An evolved jungle slime Discord Moderator CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    Considering JPs latest posts this is all a setup for a massive Rick roll...

Aya, NicBOMB, Trash and 5 others like this.
  11. frendly_creeper

frendly_creeper Well-Known Adventurer CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    honestly if this is as much of a troll as people make it out to be i wouldnt be suprised that the potatoe in selchar saying up and the arrow of the guys face in the picture pointing up is basicly saying up-date coming soon. and its probably going to be an up-grade and lag reduction, aswell and maybe guilds being made better and more fun with actual game"play" benefits, like custome guild stuff, mostly decorative but maybe some funtionality.

i just hope we get some new quests that give you something other then grinding to do

12. one_ood

one_ood c lown VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I wonder if this is supposed to be a startingcity for like dern
    cuz in ragni and somewhere else maybe there were combat dummies for damage testing and archery ranges like this

13. ccccccccccccccc

ccccccccccccccc horse failure

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    So is another stage of this going to happen? When? It's been quite a while since we solved the last puzzle, and jpresent hasn't told us anything (not even a "you're done, gj").

Discord is slowly losing its mind

check the pins check the pins check pins pinns pins

Dr Zed likes this.
  14. Zandirian

Zandirian Melon VIP+

Minecraft:
    You should check the pins in discord to find out.

ccccccccccccccc and ploo like this.
  15. WynnMerchant

WynnMerchant Skilled Adventurer

Wow props to you guys for solving this. Those codes, it just fries my eyes lol.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  16. Violet Knight

Violet Knight Aspiring front-end developer HERO

Minecraft:
    So... is it solved? If it is, then why are the Mysterious Potatoes still around?

17. ghost of wynn

ghost of wynn Ghost of wynn

Minecraft:
    still no :(

18. Mistrise Mystic

Mistrise Mystic Surfing winds and chasing windfalls HERO

Minecraft:
    Soooo
    Are we just waiting?

19. ghost of wynn

ghost of wynn Ghost of wynn

Minecraft: