1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Nintendo game advice

Discussion in 'Nemract's Bar' started by nekotoro, Dec 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nekotoro

nekotoro . CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Hi!

So i'm planning on getting an oled switch for me next month, havent used any kind of switch before.

And my main interest is pokemon games.
    Anyone got a suggestion for me what to buy?

I've been thinking either Sword/Shield, Brilliant Diamon/Shining Pearl or wait for Arceus that's coming on 28th of January.

I'm not super good at pokemon, i played abit Uranium on PC and also Platinum on my phone with emulator and that's all my experience really.

Is Breath of the Wild still great if i havent played Legend of Zelda before, like ever?

And... Animal Crossing... I know it was very popular when it came out. Is it still great? I like stardew valley, i have several hundreds of hours in it and it seems similar.

2. Aya

Aya Very Serious Gensokyo Journalist HERO

Minecraft:
    You don't need a Switch then, you need a DS. Seriously, the only Pokémon game that has come out on Switch that I have liked is Pokémon Unite, and it is a mobile game... If you want good Pokémon games, gen 4 and gen 5 humilliate gen 8. I could literally go on an hour long rant about how gen 5 looks better than Sw&Sh while also being a 11 years old sprite-based DS game. And those 2 gens are also longer than Sw&Sh are.
    On top of that, the DS can play GBA games so you also have access to gen 3 and the gen 1 remake.
    I keep seeing videos calling it one of the best games ever so I assume yeah, even though I haven't played it
    It seems to still be going strong yeah.
    Avoid literally ANYTHING that has a strong reliance on online play like Smash or Splatoon... seriously, the online experience on those games is awful, and I have played 1650 hours of Smash. I know what I mean when I say the online subscription is not worth it.

With that out of the way: Yeah, nearly anything that is singleplayer is good. I really enjoyed Mario Odyssey and Metroid Dread. In fact, Metroid Dread is the only thing I have bought this year and I absolutely do not regret it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    nekotoro likes this.
  3. Samsam101

Samsam101 Star Walker CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Yes, trust me. I for some reason had this random hate towards the Zelda franchise and then I recieved a switch with breath of the wild on my birthday and decided to give it a try. It was the only game I played with the next 2-3 months. The sequel also comes out next year, so now is a good time to play it
    I played ACNH in May 2020 after my sister got it for her birthday and I basically finished the whole game for her, which i felt bad about. I then played the halloween event and left the game for a year. I decided to come back when they updated it last month and got back into the game for a while but stopped playing again because I got distracted by other games. But yeah, I definitely reccomend this game even though I have trouble coming back to it from time to time. It's really addicting yet relaxing.
    If you want to buy a pokemon game for switch I advise waiting for Pokemon Legends Arceus to release. Sword and Shield was a fun game for me but I really disliked not having the national dex nor the ability to visit areas without DLC (i still got the season pass for the game days after it was announced but i wasn't very happy about it). As for the gen 4 remakes, just play the original games on DS like @Aya suggested above and you'll get the same experience. Unfortunately BDSP is more of a rerelease than a remake, which is disappointing
    Even with my recommendation to wait for PLA I would still advise waiting like a month after it releases until you get it because we know very little about the game and knowing the Pokemon Company it has a high chance of not being good.

The games I've enjoyed the most on switch (aside from botw and acnh) that are exclusive are:
    Mario Odyssey
    Mario maker 2 (reliant on switch online and was only great when it had just came out so i dont really reccomend)
    Metroid Dread (and i only played the demo for it so that goes to show how good it is)
    Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (I enjoyed this game a lot more than I expected to but it doesn't appeal to a wide range of people so I wouldn't really reccomend it)
    Paper Mario: The Origami King (I decided to give this game a try and really enjoyed it. The comedy was great, the battle system was entertaining and the story was surprisingly good. Many people hate on this game for still not using the old paper mario RPG system that was used in the first and second games in the series which I completely understand but I still enjoyed the game regardless. Only some people will enjoy it though so again, I don't really reccomend it either)

Sadly most switch games are Wii U ports and I suspect that this is because many good games that came out on the Wii U are inaccessible because of how poorly the console did. I hope Nintendo starts making more new titles for the Switch, because then there'd be a wider range of games to choose from.

If you want a large variety of games to choose from, I advise getting indie games and the like from the Nintendo Eshop. Most of the games I've really enjoyed playing on the system were indie games (e.g Undertale, There is no game, etc) but you can get most of those on other devices anyway meaning that there's no reason to play them on Switch.

nekotoro likes this.
  4. TheAckening

TheAckening Well-Known Adventurer

I wouldn't go so far as to say the online is awful. It is defiantly flawed and below standards, especially considering the price tag, but most of my matches in either don't have lag. If you haven't played Splatoon 1 or a different smash game, I still wouldn't recommend those games as the online is expensive and isn't a very good service unless you really like the game in question, but I won't say that you should completely avoid them.

nekotoro likes this.
  5. Aya

Aya Very Serious Gensokyo Journalist HERO

Minecraft:
    I mean it is playable, but I've recently been playing Rivals of Aether which is another platform-fighter and honestly, it just beats Smash when it comes to online... and it is an indie game. It is the same type of online but you don't pay an overpriced subscription in this one and you have the chance to see the opponent's connection and choose whether to fight them or not. You can't do the same on Smash's quickplay. Also, rollback netcode will come to Rivals soon, so there is a pretty big chance that it will have an undoubtedly better online than Smash.
    My point is: Damn, an indie game really managed to make a more competent online experience than probably the biggest videogame company in Japan. That sucks honestly.
    I don't regret buying Smash because of the emotional implications it has had on me through 2019-2020, but after finally dropping it in march due to my subscription running out and digging into Rivals afterwards, I became a lot more critical towards the game since I no longer had such a strong obsession with it.
    Also keep in mind: Smash as a whole package, including all DLCs, is worth 120$. That is a lot of money.
    Also unironically, if you want to get into like, competitive Smash and stuff, Rivals of Aether is actually really good. Though I would buy it on PC due to workshop. But really, this game replaced Smash for me because of how much better the online is and because it fixed quite a few issues I had with Smash itself, such as moveset design, shields, platforms and ledges. Seriously, it is a very underrated game. Give it a try if you really are into platform fighters. And if you don't care about competitive play, just download workshop characters and goof around with friends. It is pretty fun and there are lots of extremely well made characters. The base roster is also insanely good too.

About Splatoon: Well I haven't played the 2nd one but I have mixed memories of the first one's online and I have heard that while it does work, it does suffer lots of the same issues Smash and the original had.
    So yeah maybe avoiding it entirely is too big of an action, but I would still keep it at "make sure you REALLY want to play this game if you are going to buy it"

TheAckening likes this.
  6. Melkor

Melkor The dark enemy of the world HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I recently got a Switch, pretty much the same boat as you on most of that. I played Pokémon Shield, which was good if you've never played Pokémon before. BotW is good, though I haven't finished it yet. Solid game. I'd definitely recommend Smash if you have someone to play with locally. The online is less than stellar though. Mario Kart is awesome, though it's the same as on the Wii U so if you have one of those for some reason... And yeah Animal Crossing is pretty solid. I've been enjoying it so far, just go into it expecting to play a little every day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.