Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

Dungeons Charon, The Ferryman of Styx

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by ThePurpleEmerald, May 1, 2023.

?

Thoughts? (Comment Feedback/ Suggestions if you can)

1. Good concept, it will be a great addition (Yes)

2. Good concept, could use some improvements (Give Suggestions)

3. Not a good concept, could use some improvements (Give Suggestions)

4. Not a good concept, it will not be a great addition (No)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePurpleEmerald

ThePurpleEmerald Famous Adventurer

I do actually want to return because I forgot to mention a little "easter egg" of sorts regarding reviving General Graken in Corrupted Underworld Crypt.

If I recall correctly in the original dungeon, the mechanic to revive him did cause quite a bit of controversy, largely due to the fact that gathering General Graken's limbs from the minions was essentially heavily-RNG in nature. That was the first thing that I resolved to fix with that mechanic, by having every single minion drop at least one required item needed for Graken's revival while still spawning in large numbers, the only RNG element being the type of enemy that spawns in (Which is essentially null given how frequent the minions appear on the boat anyway).

The addition of General Graken's limbs in my version of Corrupted Charon's fight was mostly just a callback to the old method of reviving General Graken (or to "poke fun at", if you want to call it as such), also because ignoring the mechanic itself game design-wise, resurrecting him with bones didn't really make too much sense and reanimating him by jamming his corpse with a bunch of Styxian Souls seems infinitely more logical otherwise. (The sword was added because it seemed logical that Graken would grab it from somewhere upon revival.)

Another thing I would also like the mention that led off from the return of General Graken's revive mechanic is the fact that I tend to lean towards the liking of never getting rid of old content unless it really doesn't fit or is way too low-quality to be suitable to be used anywhere. Things like the old Kander Forest enemies, for example, which while technically aren't based off any actual creatures are still fictional beings created by one or more of the CT, and to that I recognize the creativity used in such a group.

This applies to the Underworld Crypt mobs. Even if the names of the enemies like the Dahbasi don't clearly come from any outside source, they are still considered to be original creations, and it would be a waste to get rid of them simply because they "looked unfitting" or they are "too random".

My ability to see potential in even the most useless of game content might be a bit too much. Regardless, with said ability, I did easily find a use for the old enemies in my version of the dungeon, even if most of Charon's story is Greek-centric - I simply made them what was once Nemract's old army!

Many of the names might be completely original but there's no harm in putting them in a civilization with no solid inspiration from any culture (as far as I can see, anyway) and even if it does, I don't see any of Ancient Nemract nor Nemract's military be based off any set theme, either. So I had managed to preserve their existence while at the same time adding to the atmosphere of the dungeon by having the player be aware that they are technically fighting two different cities of warriors at the same time.

That was my philosophy, anyway. I still feel like many of Wynncraft's removed content can be shaped into something new and exciting in the server's modern state. Maybe if I have time in the future I would be doing those things justice.
    With that being said, I do hope that this thread doesn't die out too quickly. I love discussion among people here, even if it isn't something related to the main attraction itself (the boss battle). I didn't remake the entire lore, quest, and dungeon just for show, after all.

luckeyLuuk likes this.
  2. Dr Zed

Dr Zed Famous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    While I do the inclusion of the lore, it is a bit much for an early game dungeon. It’s more so out place given how Charon is more developed than most characters in game lol. It’s still leagues better than the old dungeon (and if I could play it even better than most dungeons).

3. tig

tig "Because EO parkour killed my grandma, OK???"

Minecraft:
    More lore early game = good. Early game kinda sucks balls right now, which is a shame because thats when the best efforts should be made to get new players hooked.

Sir_Doomed, FelixTape and Dr Zed like this.
  4. Da Homeboi

Da Homeboi scream at me if somethings wrong with the wiki HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    But... Haros of the Banished Legion my beloved and 'how can you defeat an army thats already dead' line my beloveds...

(add that line back into cuc or else haros will forcibly turn charons fight into a fetch quest

5. ThePurpleEmerald

I swore I added it in… how did it slip past me?

My philosophy of trying to preserve as much of the old content as possible shows in this forum post, but for some reason one of the most important dialogues somehow escaped my sights

That was one of the lines I was actually planning on adding just because of how good I’ve been told the line was

(And by that I mean @Shots praising the dungeon in his video)

I’ll add it in whenever I can, I swear it was in there…

In which case the lore and backstory I have given Charon here would be pretty normal compared to the other stuff

Last edited: May 24, 2023
    Dr Zed likes this.
  6. Da Homeboi

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Alright I just realized something that would honestly be really cool to add into the dungeon:

If you hover over the normal mode selection in GG, it says Dungeon secrets will be accessible, so if that's not shelved, adding in a secret about what happened between Haros and Charon that caused his banishment would honestly be really cool.

Or possibly as secret dialogue during the Dark Descent, if you have Haros' Broken Badge, during Charon's line "A sordid reaper: down from his flowing cloak", an option should be added regarding Haros like "Did you know Haros?" and he would then go on a spiel about him doing things that are stupid in Charon's eyes. It could also possibly add on the character of a somewhat forgotten boss.

luckeyLuuk likes this.
  7. ThePurpleEmerald

Why not have it as a secret discovery flashback

8. CatFan105

CatFan105 Blue guy

Minecraft:
    I’ve always thought that Charon should be tied in with the lore we get for death in beyond the grave, maybe the player waking up as he takes them across the river into deaths realm, maybe some dialogue with death with the implication that Charon was misbehaving when he attacked ancient nemract

luckeyLuuk likes this.
  9. Dr Zed

Dr Zed Famous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    True, but it’s also that it’s a lot of work and effort built up for a dungeon that quite a lot of players skip just from the close level range of early dungeons and the fast leveling in the early game.

Again, it’s still technically nothing against this suggestion. It’s just more so a criticism of the rest of the game.

It is a really good suggestion; good job!

tig likes this.
  10. ThePurpleEmerald

Okay so apparently you lied to me

I went and edited the post to add in the line but it's already in the start of the second room

You gaslit me into spending several days in despair for forgetting such an important line

Why

11. Da Homeboi

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    no no its not "how can you plan to defeat an army that cannot die" it's "how can you defeat an army that is already dead" in cuc

12. ThePurpleEmerald

You made me spent several days in despa
    Ah I see
    While both quotes technically have the same implication I'll try to find a way to fit it in naturally. Corrupted Charon has quite a lot of dialogue throughout his dungeon so it's going to be tough

Although to be honest I'm not sure if it would make sense for Corrupted Charon to say that in CUC. It's clearly different from the UC version but it doesn't appear to have sort of a more "menacing" or "intense" situational tone to it for it to not sound like Corrupted Charon is just repeating what he says in the regular dungeon. The CUC version of the dialogue also really makes it sound like he's just stating the obvious of his army being dead, as opposed to "cannot die" which insinuates and subconsciously reminds the player that said army is dead.

Last edited: May 29, 2023
  13. ThePurpleEmerald

Charon's Neutral Special
    [​IMG]

Underworld Crypt Based DLC introduces Based Charon.

For his Neutral Special, he wields a Gun. His Up Special fires a Gun. His Side Special invokes Gun. Once his Underworld Counter reaches 50, he'll fly upwards, and summon manifestations of his Gun.

His Neutral Special upgrades to Gun Special, it handles the same as before, only now, s p e c i a l.

And then there is Charon's Ultimate, All-Out Gun. After cutting through the player, he'll launch coordinated Gun.

GUN.

You see, it’s actually the most balanced attack

A lot of thought went into the process trust me
    It’s not just delving into who Charon is as a person, but also into the turmoil and mental psyche that he experiences the more and more players thrash on the battle

Until eventually, he got revamped
    That was the last straw

The pose that he does during the attack represents his character development from a punching bag for Graken’s army and eventually the solo player fight, towards an antagonist that is confident that he is going to win

The bullets that he fires at blinding speeds represent the speed of change that could have happened to Charon at any time, and eventually does without warning. It also shows in a very poetic fashion that the player themselves can also be a victim to this possibility, and that no one is truly safe

The gun represents… a gun.

You see it's actually a very deep insight into Charon's character

And a very unorthodox yet effective tactic of storytelling and worldbuilding as a whole
    The gun represents so much more than just a metallic killing device
    It is also an extension of Charon and how he is more than just a psychopomp
    It truly brings anyone's eyes to tears

(P.S. I got paid 2 Stacks of LE to make this video if someone pays me another 2 Stacks of LE I will literally make another video of Corrupted Charon 360 no-scoping the player with a sniper rifle by spinning in the air and one-shotting them this is not a joke I will literally do it)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
    luckeyLuuk likes this.
  14. georgeGMC

georgeGMC Well-Known Adventurer CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    I love some of the new attacks and the concept of the dungeon. Charon and Nemract in general is some of my favorite content (totally not bc im greek). This rework idea is way better than what we have ingame rn. Although i do wish instead they took the old fight and made it more interesting rather than just Graken spam and gave the other soldier types new abilities and stuff as i really liked that aspect of the old fight (using soldiers to take down enemies by summoning the soldiers you need to exploit enemy weaknesses)

15. Da Homeboi

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    You utter fool. You now made it so it's now impossible for this suggestion to be implemented.

According to point 3 of how to suggest: Does it fit? (does your idea actually fit in Wynncraft? If you want guns added then most likely not)

16. ThePurpleEmerald

It says "most likely not"

I gave perfect reasons as to why this fits into the battle

luckeyLuuk, hmtn and cmosier like this.
  17. Da Homeboi

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    i will pull a necromancy and revive this thread

18. ThePurpleEmerald

My offer at the end of my latest post still holds true btw

19. Da Homeboi

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Bumping this with the following thing i wanted to say:

in the new tls Garoth was lv 70 on the beta, which I actually kinda liked as it mirrored the lore power of it, but then it got nerfed to lv 40. why did i say this idrktbh

20. Da Homeboi

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    did somebody ask for a bump

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.