1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

SPOILER Changes In The Economy Update Resource Pack

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by FinnDestren, Dec 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aya

Aya Very Serious Gensokyo Journalist HERO

Minecraft:
    what kind of gay wand is this

Geag, Elephat, euouae and 7 others like this.
  2. Dr Zed

Dr Zed Famous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    One made by @YYGAYMER

Druser likes this.
  3. tig

tig "Because EO parkour killed my grandma, OK???"

Minecraft:
    20181215_195820.png

4. Druser

Druser ele defs don't matter HERO Featured Wynncraftian

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    The new mob totem model is really nice. I like the use of the runes.

Realises, NITEHAWKX, Athenz and 4 others like this.
  5. Kebz

Kebz Moist HERO

Minecraft:
    Is it just me that thinks the horse saddle looks like a burnt chicken? Lol :sweatsmile:

6. Lexwomy

Lexwomy Lexwomy HERO

Minecraft:
    afaik these textures were already in the 1.13 version of the wynnpack (when i went back to 1.11 to play wynn expansion those textures weren't there)
    OH YEA
    (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
    (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ ✧゚・: *

also the potatoes seem to be borrowed from a certain jappa..

edit: REEEE I FORGOT THE PICS OH WELL

7. CountBurn

CountBurn Hackysack? HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    le and rings look trash

Realises and Dofima like this.
  8. NicBOMB

NicBOMB Maker of Builds | Lurks on Forums | 1 Mythic Found CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    On the topic of the rings, everyone here is roughly in agreement that the rings are worse this time around. I personally think the new textures are too basic, as they no longer have more distinguishing features than color. The previous rings had thicker cores and were oriented slightly differently, but the real problem is lack of diversity in the textures. All the type 1's and 2's are the same but have palette swaps to match their elements. Personally I have these 3 problems with the new rings:
    smaller/thinner
    fewer distinguishing features
    lack of solid outlines (likely due to being smaller, as the outlines would likely take as many pixels as the rings themselves)

The rings are supposed to look cool in your inventory, but these new textures feel more copy-pasted with color switching than created for a purpose. I understand that with the new patch there is crafting, which means more generic images allow for items with varied stats to take on any of the images and still represent the items somewhat-well, but it also looks duller. The rings' lack of size means it can't fit many defining features or outlines, crippling their aesthetics. Also, WHY DO THEY ALL HAVE PEARLS NOW?! It's 5 elemental pearls/gems for the tier 2 rings now! Thanks to crafting you use the new gem materials from refineries, which are shaped roughly like the 'pearls' or ovals, however, I personally haven't gotten into ring crafting in the beta or seen the recipes for them. Now I know that the item players make should look more or less like they were made from materials you used, but not all rings should look exactly the same! The new textures completely toss out the unique patterning for the stones previously in favor of generic textures. IMO, they should have kept the rings the same, or at least retained the patterning while using the new slim 'basic' texture. Here is my image for all the rings:
    All Rings Old and New.png

H0Y, NITEHAWKX, Athenz and 4 others like this.
  9. CylinderKnot

CylinderKnot BOOM! TETRIS FOR JEFF!

Minecraft:
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who greatly prefers the old rings over the new ones. The new ones look like mere color swaps and... rectangular.

NITEHAWKX, trex1611, Realises and 4 others like this.
  10. Athenz

Athenz On Lunch Break VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Guys ima make a separate texture pack to replace the the rings with the original ones and make the wands actually look good, message me if you’re interested.

11. zeldahuman

zeldahuman Graphic Designer, WynnPack Artist ✎ Artist

Minecraft:
    Hey all! I appreciate all the feedback regarding the new work for the economy update, and in particular regards to the updated rings.

I've seen lots of responses to the rings, and we are currently working behind the scenes to make sure things get updated to better fit both the pack and the feeling we're going for with accessory items.

I am indeed writing down your feedback and appreciate everyone taking the time to air their grievances. The rings definitely feel less unique and I agree with that; I'm not so sure the plan is to revert to the previous rings (as I prefer the style of the newer ones and they fit the rest of the pack better) but uniqueness is definitely a huge factor in these designs and I feel silly for forgetting that.

Your feedback is being heard, and is being taken seriously. Thanks again, all. More updates soon. <3

-Zeldahuman, WynnPack Artist

12. Runaiic

Runaiic t

Can you also revert potatoes, carrots, and their variants? (poison, gold, cooked), the nametag (I prefer the old custom look), and make the brewing stand less phallic in appearance? The new potatoes and carrots don't look appetising at all, they're the only Jappa texture I dislike. The poisoned potato looks fake, too.

Oh and here's something I'd like to address as a spriter to hopefully help you out:
    The reason why the rings are failing so hard isn't just "Uniqueness" but also due to shading, and shape.
    [​IMG]
    I'll use these as examples.
    The gems look pasted on and do not fit the rings because the light source is facing from the bottom-left (for some reason) but the gem have a light coming from the top-left. There is no attempt to make the gem look "connected" to the ring at all, except in the third one. Even then, as many people have said, the rings are facing the wrong way. Because the sizes are very small, there is no room for detail, so you face problems such as certain parts being too thick (even though its just a one pixel difference in thickness), and lines that don't feel natural (jagged) (most evident in the first ring). The third ring is the best out of the three and looks polished, but it also faces the wrong way and the top right side looks thicker due to it being stretched out to merge with the gemstone, and causes it to look uneven. I personally believe you should either create something entirely new, revert to the old rings, or use modified and updated versions of the old rings. I love the new colours though.
    If you want help with some sprites you can ask me.

Attached Files:

Gogeta and CylinderKnot like this.
  13. Tolemi959

Tolemi959 Well-Known Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    I just changed the rings to something less oval. I haven't done pixel art in my life before, so don't judge me for sucking.

Previous:
    [​IMG]

5 minutes edit:
    [​IMG]

Violet Knight likes this.
  14. Kallle

Kallle Travelled Adventurer

Minecraft:
    I tried to add the more symmetrical shape of the old rings to the new ones and I think that improves them: [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• ring.PNG
      ring.PNG
      File size:
      595 bytes
      Views:
  15. Athenz

Athenz On Lunch Break VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I really like what you did with the necklaces, they're way more detailed plus you added in a little shine. The mob totem is probably my favorite!!!

Spinel, Darkolythe, Realises and 2 others like this.
  16. yellowscreen

yellowscreen Certified Lurker

Minecraft:
    Actually, pretty good!

But why has this thread turned into ”rings: everything is just rings”?

17. Tobulance

Tobulance Famous Adventurer Media HERO

Minecraft:
    honestly the only things I dislike are
    1. the ring change
    2. the wide mouthed skeletons
    3. thicc LE
    4. the 'bobs wand/cascade' texture rework to have that flat colored blob at the top, wouldnt even be a bad redesign if it wernt for that red blob, the base looks good

Stycore, Violet Knight, H0Y and 2 others like this.
  18. Realises

Realises was fun while it lasted ♡ HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I really don't like the rings, LE, and bobs wand texture
    Unless they're getting changed I'll probably just switch them for the old textures
    I don't feel like the new bobs wand texture fits Wynncraft's style (If that makes sense)
    That horse saddle is kinda weird too but I guess I can get used to that

19. H0Y

H0Y H0Y HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    If they cant give us the old rings backs, at least reverse the way they are facing.

20. DrBracewell

DrBracewell Famous Adventurer CT Manager QA Modeler GM CMD CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I think someone who spent the last couple months creating ~400 new item textures, as well as quite a few new models and implementing all of these into a mc resource pack (which, considering most of them are added using item durability and block states, takes some complicated JSON) has got this item making thing covered, and probably doesn’t need much help from you. (<3 u Zelda)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    zeldahuman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.