1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Boltslingers discussion/journal

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by ReachDaBeach24, Sep 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReachDaBeach24

ReachDaBeach24 Old dog with some new tricks VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    About to die in the first room with tons of tokens and no idea where the door is. Found a corner and did /class.

2. ReachDaBeach24

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Died at the next door with enough items to get through. I managed the parkour with escapes and leaps. Got flustered with being attacked, trying to do potion and trying to get tokens. Oh well. It's looking a lot like Scythe and Fuunyet will be the spears in the 70s...

3. dogwqter

dogwqter Well-Known Adventurer

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    f4t4f4 could work

4. ReachDaBeach24

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Going to be a long one with some major questions sprinkle in there...

More details on that would be appreciated. I am assuming a guardian angel is up and slowly doing much of the damage. Did you also aim some spells?

I did a /fixquests because I somehow lost my Dogun badge and got it back. I was pleasantly surprised to see Bob's lost soul reappear even though I had given it to Kelight. So I can go finish Bob' Lost Soul and get into the tomb to try Reincarnation. I will try it straight up twice before resorting to the Galloping Spurs idea. Why twice? Reading the wiki, it sounds like one of the challenges is having the right elemental weapons and defenses. One of the few criticisms I have read on Torrential Tide is that it can suffer when water is the wrong weapon. So I went back and did some reading on the various bows. I have a strong tendency to look almost entirely at legendary weapons with limited exceptions for a few earned by specific quest completion. This bias is evidence based from wynndata searches. Anyway, I use this as a primary reference:
    https://forums.wynncraft.com/thread...egendary-and-fabled-bows.298661/#post-3510933

I was somewhat surprised to read this about Return to Ether:
    I should note that Return to Ether has access to curse, the water powder special, while Torrential Tide doesn't so Return to Ether does outclass Torrential Tide in most situations. However, Return to Ether demands ehp through agility while Torrential Tide can be build to have ehp through defense. Note that at the endgame (101+), Return to Ether does fully outclass Torrential Tide as by this point, it can be built to have ehp through both agility and defense (plus Torrential Tide is simply not an endgame bow). Return to Ether and Torrential Tide can basically clear the same bosses so if you prefer one bow's stats over the other, use that bow.

When browsing them a while back, I had looked at stats with too much of an idiot's eye toward DPS outweighing almost everything else unless there are strong negatives. And all through descriptions of bows from lv 90 on, there is always mention of Orange Lilly being better, except oddly enough in the description for Return to Ether it mentions it as an alternative if you "don't want to use crafteds or Orange Lilly". I still interpret that as meaning Orange Lilly is better and that the "don't want to" means not wanting to run Corrupted Undergrowth Ruins multiple times, probably because you can't.

Anyway, I adjusted my TT build so that I can hold either bow:
    https://hppeng-wynn.github.io/build...0qB0k0W1M0M1B1S00010048G10000Izz++++--hzPVwg2
    WynnBuilder build:
    > Sequencer
    > Seagazer
    > Horizon
    > Ensa's Ideals
    > Photon
    > Lodestone
    > Kelight's Gauntlet
    > Ensa's Faith
    > Torrential Tide [w6]
    The skill point numbers are wrong, I think. It's hard to really know since you aren't holding a weapon in game, but they are actually what shows there except agility is actually 85. Wynnbuilder says I can't do that.
    Here is what I see in game:
    upload_2022-11-3_11-15-27.png upload_2022-11-3_11-16-59.png upload_2022-11-3_11-17-25.png
    OK, so here is the same build except with Return to Ether, where wynnbuilder says I can input the real final numbers and even have some left over:
    https://hppeng-wynn.github.io/build...0aU0k0W1M0M1L1S00010048G10009Izz++++--hzPVwg2
    WynnBuilder build:
    > Return to Ether [w6w6]

Some big drop offs in spell damage, but they are coming down from almost ridiculously high numbers adn Quake is now in the mix.

Looking for feedback on that.

Also, looking for feedback on ability tree, which I just noticed is wrong; I added the last point to Earth Mastery, pretty much to stash it doing something until I reconfigure. It's probably time to reconfigure. I had held up on it as I really didn't use stomp when I got it before, so i wanted to wait until I could get it and geyser and maybe even snowstorm all at once. Mastery of earth, water and fire I can certainly give up as well as traveler. It can get a little harder with others because of navigation and requirements for number of boltslinger abilities further down. I don't really care about escape artist or better leap.

Hitting to the completely different field, here is how bmonk is doing:
    https://hppeng-wynn.github.io/build...0aL0A0h0+0s071410000M0001002xtzz++++-zkxQoCL0
    WynnBuilder build:
    > Mask of Courage
    > Millennium
    > Kelight's Shield
    > Bad Wolf
    > Photon
    > Marble
    > Reminiscence
    > Geothermal
    > Remikas' Righteousness [f5f5t5]

Got to 68 largely due to very aggressive grinding in Herb Cave, often clearing the left hand room where the real xp is. I take a lot of damage there. I start with a full bottle of healing potion and leave with 3. I cross over to the right and center mostly to let the angry burning natives on the left respawn.
    I only recently learned that I can fly; I reassigned the shortcut key for charge to ` so it is handy and put a lot of points in intelligence to have a bigger mana tank, plus I try hard to go with mana regen in the build. It made doing ROL 2 much easier, where I got an amazingly good photon so mana regen is even better. I have a Meikyo Shisui helmet I can swap out on the fly, which costs some hp, but increases mana capacity and regen, plus it slows walk speed, which helps in some situations. But Mask of Courage still seems the better choice in combat.

Speaking of combat, bmonk is rocking it. Reclaiming the Camp and From the Mountains were both cleared on the first try, at or very near level. Both were done in my not so generalist way of running/hopping around casting nothing but whirlwind. It's an evasive maneuver and my strongest attack all in one. The only time I was killed recently was after doing Lost in the Jungle (also on level, first attempt) and figuring access to Gracen's house was meaningful, so I went in and found the keystone. I stumbled on the spot at the coordinates doing a slay, got the keystone and came back. I have no idea how you finish the room that opens. It spawns a crazy number of mobs so that you are facing a literal army all the time. I even tried going in with archer and was able to survive and leave, but could not clear the room. Whatever is in the middle can handle several point blank 50k arrow storms.

Turned into a novella. On a personal note, I think my crazy amount of time on wynncraft really is about to get cut back. I have been on the bench waiting for a contract to come through. I am still paid full time and the usual expectation is doing some courses and taking tests for additional certifications. But there is a bit of nodding and winking about career development in my case; I have been with the company a long time and they know this contract is probably the last. They don't really want to pay for courses and tests on top of salary. So I have been learning how to be semi-retired (I do have some support/maintenance work for a prior project, but it is not really much) instead. Anyway, barring some hiccup, it is getting finalized after more delays than anyone expected. One reason I have spent so much time, besides getting somewhat addicted, is that I expected it to be cut back much sooner and wanted to push into a higher level before I became more of an occasional player. My stats look really ridiculous, but sometimes it is up pretty much all day with the market mage just standing there to check whether anything sold every now and then, or with archer or bmonk standing around in a town, usually at the bank. If the time counts sitting at the class selection screen, then it will be even more ridiculously inflated. Also, because of the aforementioned support duties, I do need to be available and preferably at my (remote) desk ready to answer and/or meet quickly on items that come in. Plus a few regular calls.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  5. ReachDaBeach24

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    first subjective test of TT versus RtE was a knockout win by TT but I slightly tainted the result with potions. I have not really been using them unless I go back after dying. That hasn't been happening except in cases where it was more strategy than strength. It was the soldier fight early in Dwarves and Doguns 2. It may well be the elemental difference came into play as well as the lower strength. With RtE, I pumped a couple of arrow storms into oncoming soldiers and they kept coming. I was running , escaping and had a room full of soldiers that were dying pretty slowly. I didn't use curse. I eventually died taking a stand with a guardian angel up and alternating storms and bombs and doing little damage. With TT (plus potions), I could fan the arrows and cut a wide hole through them. I was walking around a mostly empty arena looking for commanders to respawn. It was only exciting for a short period at the beginning.
    I am not giving up on RtE yet; the xp bonus is nice and it is likely my build favoring TT plays into it also. But I shouldn't have switched it in the hot bar. I am going to keep TT in 1, so that if I try RtE and have to take a swig of healing potion, my now pretty hardwired way of switching back will select TT.

6. dogwqter

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    just try to stay as far away as possible while still dealing damage. It does a lot of damage if you get hit.
    I love this guide. Probably one of the best resources on the Forums.
    why the horizon?

Also, you could start transitioning into a tree like this, where you get four guardian angels instead of the normal two.
    also here's another build that could work for rte
    https://hppeng-wynn.github.io/build...ZR0860aU070U1K122G1S000010009Izz++++--l1wU-L8
    WynnBuilder build:
    > Sequencer
    > Seagazer
    > Dark Shroud
    > Steamjet Walkers
    > Photon
    > Yang
    > Remikas' Authority
    > Charm of the Storms
    > Return to Ether [w6w6]

7. Earthbrine

Earthbrine The Dirt of the Realm CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I'm pretty sure curse is the defining factor here, as it will give a 30% damage bonus for a few seconds, and only takes a few seconds to charge up. Also don't be afraid to use only tier 6 powders from now on, as their price has crashed because of TNA.

8. ReachDaBeach24

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I have no idea how that got in there. Still using Dark Shroud. Explains why I couldn't get it to accept the points.
    https://hppeng-wynn.github.io/build...0qB0i0U1T041L1S00010048G10000Izz++++--hzPVwg2
    WynnBuilder build:
    > Sequencer
    > Seagazer
    > Dark Shroud
    > Ensa's Ideals
    > Photon
    > Lodestone
    > Kelight's Gauntlet
    > Ensa's Faith
    > Torrential Tide [w6]
    https://hppeng-wynn.github.io/build...0aU0i0U1K04211S00010048G10009Izz++++--hzPVwg2
    WynnBuilder build:
    > Sequencer
    > Seagazer
    > Dark Shroud
    > Ensa's Ideals
    > Photon
    > Lodestone
    > Kelight's Gauntlet
    > Ensa's Faith
    > Return to Ether [w6w6]
    I used w6w6. Even without the 30% boost and even without the potions, there was something wrong that made me clearly overmatched with RtE in this particular battle and build. I was running, turning and firing 2 storms into oncoming soldiers and they were still coming. I would run again and get a lead with my walk speed, turn and fire another 2 storms and wouldn't see then thin out. It seemed like none died, though I am sure some must have. I stood my ground with TT. The first storm cut a hole clean through the ranks. I pretty quickly switched to bombs so I didn't have to run around so much as new ones spawned. I never even smelled a whiff of trouble.

9. Druser

Druser ele defs don't matter HERO Featured Wynncraftian

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I'm pretty sure this is no longer accurate info, as attack speed multipliers no longer apply after mob elemental defenses, but before - as such, weapons with faster attack speeds are no longer more walled by high ele defs than slower weapons. (It still applies in melee, of course, but it's almost never relevant in that regard)

Also, I've heard TTide in general is more competitive in 2.0 compared to 1.20, but I haven't built with it recently so I don't know the details.

10. ReachDaBeach24

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I will give that a try, but def hanging on to gear I have been using. If not for archer, there is stuff little brother bmonk might want. And if I try that and get crushed, I would switch back for now.

I grabbed these:

upload_2022-11-3_18-2-18.png upload_2022-11-3_18-2-47.png

Better steamjets are in the stratosphere; this pair wasn't crazy cheap either. Wasn't really seeing a good Yang roll, but I have some alternatives.

My bmonk would probably be upset about me asking this, since he is using it, but I have this:
    upload_2022-11-3_17-48-21.png
    which isn't as goo as a really good Yang, but better than many out on the market. there are some better ones though.
    I also have these choices for spell damage bonuses:
    upload_2022-11-3_17-50-27.png upload_2022-11-3_17-51-1.png upload_2022-11-3_17-51-48.png

and check out the Photon bmonk got for ROL 2 compared to the one archer got, which I thought was great at the time...

upload_2022-11-3_17-53-32.png upload_2022-11-3_17-54-26.png
    I only looked at a replacement because I thought it might be an issue to use it for all the elemental attacks in Reincarnation, and then decided to try it after that long post on legendary bows indicates that RtE may be a better choice that TT as I progress. Only very recent deaths with TT are swimming in lava (I don't recommend this), learning that escape sometimes works a bit too late. I can do on level slays walking around with an angel up.

Attached Files:

Druser likes this.
  11. dogwqter

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    you have no idea how many photons i rolled to try to get one with good stats

12. ReachDaBeach24

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Someone in the guild told me if I were ever to decide to part with it to ask for multiple liquids.
    Curious about rolling for a good one. I am fairly certain you would not have rolled again with the one on the left. What about the one on the right?

I understand how additional classes level up so quick. I am cruising through quests, knowing what to do and charge-flying over parkours. Most boss fights are hopping around with whirlwind with a few charges mixed in where I use aerodynamics to steer into flyby jab range. That also results in a wonky path that seems to throw off the AI attacks. I am often taking more damage in the warm up rooms than the main boss fight because I can't help but make a lot of incidental contact in a room full of mobs. I am finding that main attack is very functional in situations I would have thought were hopeless for anything but spells. I can be backed into a corner by 5 mobs and hacking away at them and light them up with a powder special and get out with less damage to me than if I cast a spell. Archer and bmonk are very different and I like both, but I have to admit that I currently favor bmonk a little more.
    As archer, I got killed again in Dwarves and Doguns 2, this time with TT. It was after getting past the glitchy challenge to blow up the weapons. I watched Olinus adn he actually mentioned the glitch and suggested /class, which I did a few times to get past it. Right click to pick up TNT will sometimes no longer work when you try to get the second one. Crazy frustrating because if you made it to getting the second charge, you are extremely close to being done.

Next time I play it, instead of going right back in I am going to finish Bob's Lost Soul as archer (just have the last couple of steps, with soul in hand) so that I can go into the tomb to try Reincarnation., though there is actually an issue that didn't click for me until now. Archer might not be able to get it for bmonk. I say might because it depends on how the quest logic is wired. If archer defeats Bob and gets the seal and doesn't take it back, bmonk might be able to take it back even if he loses to Bob. You have to have completed the quest to use the weapon.

13. Earthbrine

Earthbrine The Dirt of the Realm CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    You need to kill Bob in order to complete the quest, so that won't work.

14. ReachDaBeach24

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I was wondering if maybe it was wired like The Passage. You come back with an antic bead and there aren't any questions about how you got it. An aside on the passage is that I have almost never used it. After the first Great Bridge crossing, I wanted it badly. After crossing a few more times, it became no big deal. Yeah, it costs a dose or two of potion some times. But Nesaak is right there with a Sea Skipper dock; the passage dumps you out in a spot that is convenient to nothing of interest when you are at a high enough level to have earned it.

15. ReachDaBeach24

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    BTW, messing around in wynnbuilder has me head scratching about how special these spears really are.

I took my current build with Scythe, a lv 70 spear:
    https://hppeng-wynn.github.io/build...0kP0r0q0K0n041710000M0001002bGzz++++-zkRQoCr0
    WynnBuilder build:
    > Mask of Courage
    > Millennium
    > Kelight's Shield
    > Bad Wolf
    > Photon
    > Marble
    > Reminiscence
    > Geothermal
    > Scythe [w4t4t4]

changed the level to 75, plugged in the two likely candidates with no other changes except powders that I think suit them better:
    https://hppeng-wynn.github.io/build...0fH0a0n0U0t041B10000M0001002hMzz++++-zkRQoCr0
    WynnBuilder build:
    > Fuunyet [f4f4t4]
    https://hppeng-wynn.github.io/build...0T+0K0r0e0x0E1B10000M0001002eGzz++++-zkRQoCr0
    WynnBuilder build:
    > Bob's Mythic Spear [w4w4t4]

differences are not as significant as I expected and it isn't clear that Fuunyet is even an upgrade at all; you have to look close to see the few incremental improvements it has, while in other areas it drops off. Scythe beat the boss in ROL 3 on the first try, but I was killed once in the "slay 8" mini boss room.

16. shacers

shacers no longer replying VIP+

Minecraft:
    all i can think of is bobs spear gives stat points like a lot xp bonus and also has more neutral dmg

17. ReachDaBeach24

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I am an idiot yet again. I did the build with the powders for RtE, but never actually visited the powder master. I never noticed in the one battle I died in because I was having so little success with the howitzer (storm) that I didn't try the pea shooter (main).

I took the soul to Wedyf, let him do his incantation, then went to the tomb and didn't bother looking for the body. I went straight to Batelu and started Reincarnation. It occured to me that ith my walk speed and windy/stormy feet, I could do the evasion on foot. I reconfigured my tree to reach all the way down to All Seeing Panoptes. I went in with TT and circled. And circled. Started blasting the occasional storm. And circled. It did not seem to be having much effect and I sipped 6 doses of potion. I ran back out the door, over to Nesaak and switched bows. That's when I figured out my powder situation. Powdered RtE, ran back over and went back in. Boom goes the dynamite! Took him out. Nothing but Panoptes and circling for maybe a minute tops.
    I am not sure you understand what I am going to try. When I went to get the wool, I left the mine and then went right back in and got a second one. Probably only needed to go up the tunnel a little, but it didn't occur to me until I left the mine. Fortunately I was still at the mine when it occurred to me. Same thing in Skiens getting the cow hide; got two. I already had the feather. It came back when I did /fixquests. Anyway, I put the extra wool and hide in the bank, go over to Batelu and give him the 3 items. Kill Bob and get seal of approval. Ran right by Batelu and went and put it in the bank. Tried /fixquests and the feather came back again.

OK, so here is what I am going to try. When bmonk can do reincarnation, I am going to try walking over with Bob's Soul to get in the tomb (might have to get further in bmon's Bob's Lost Soul quest, but we'll see), go to Batelu and have him ask for the items. Click on him again and give him the items. Go in through the door and either get killed or go right back out (it is one of the few boss rooms I have seen that lets you do that) or maybe beat him (ha!). Probably go right back out as I think that might stand the best chance of working. I will click on Batelu again and hopefully he will take the seal of approval.

I think I might try beating Bob, making a couple of attempts though, assuming I complete Troubled Tribesman and can use the Fuunyet. I have one banked; it isn't automatic when you complete the quest; just opens the place where you can buy it with hard to find items as currency. It has a different mix of elemental damage. Anyway, I could try once with Scythe and once with Fuunyet. With a potion of agility and one of intelligence (2 doses of each so maybe I could refill in there), I could run and keep spamming whirlwind. Might use both Photons for speed. It actually has over half the power of Panoptes. But it doesn't have the range, which could make it dicey. I would have to survive twice as long and stay closer. The horse and galloping spurs would mean staying over 3 times longer.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  18. dogwqter

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    i've cheesed reincarnation before by getting the drop from bob on a different class and just giving it to another class
    also on warrior, you can just use charge to skip large portions of horizontal parkour so hopefully you'll be able to do more quests
    now I'd recommend shifting to this build at level 75 ish
    https://hppeng-wynn.github.io/build...T+0U0N100a101B10000M0001006COzz++++-zkRQ6pK30
    WynnBuilder build:
    > Blue Mask
    > Adamantite
    > Crystal
    > Sodeta Boots
    > Photon
    > Marble
    > Reminiscence
    > Royal Stormy Amulet
    > Bob's Mythic Spear [f6f6f6]

you can use dragon's tongue as an offhand
    https://hppeng-wynn.github.io/item/#Dragon's Tongue

19. ReachDaBeach24

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I got one as a drop. I started ROL 4. Flew some horizontal parkour and even some vertical, but got to a section I couldn't quite make happen. It had sent me to Cinfras, so the ease my pain a little I ran the spider cave west of town over and over a few times when somebody threw a double xp bomb. Did a level in about 15 minutes. Anyway, below is what I found. I was actually going to ask about the logic behind a spear like this. Health and mana regen rocks, but has a lot of it's power taken away. It's kind of the opposite of my lv 70 Scythe. Anyway, it's not a great one but if I put it out on tm, it would be the best one there. There are only a handful out there. The reason that it has all the Xs for requirement is that is from market mage looking at it in the bank. I notice these two are completely different with elements. Bob's is all neutral with 3 powder slots to push it to whatever you like. You obviously like fire...

upload_2022-11-4_14-52-1.png upload_2022-11-4_14-55-34.png

Scythe is fun. I take out a lot of mobs without spells.

Going to have to look into some of the recommended gear.

20. dogwqter

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    dragon's tongue is a more of a defensive-oriented spear while scythe is more offensive oriented.
    offhands are basically used for walkspeed, manaregen, or healthregen
    Dragon's tongue is good for manaregen and healthregen, and on warrior you can use charge for movement
    so if you're ever using charge to fly across some distance i'd recommend holding dragon's tongue for that manaregen bonus
    also do so if you're losing a fight so you can regain mana and health
    I wouldn't say that I like fire, but I chose it for three reasons
    1. in the build that I sent, there is more firedamage% than waterdamage%, so fire powders would do more damage
    2. fire powder special is probably one of the best ones
    3. warrior has the "burning heart" perk which gives you +2% fire damage for every +100 hp you have on identifications (not default hp on armor and accessories). However that does give you more damage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.