Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

Game Design Better Grappling Hook?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by ChrisWildfire, Sep 27, 2023.

?

Do you agree?

1. yes

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. no

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. remove grappling hook

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisWildfire

ChrisWildfire Wild and On Fire

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I've seen an ability like Grappling Hook before. An add-on to the plugin ProjectKorra has a move called "Metal Cable", and it works similarly to Grappling Hook. Here's a comparison between the two:

There's key differences between these two abilities:
    • Grappling Hook launches you, while Metal Cable smoothly pulls you
    • Grappling Hook behaves differently when used against mobs, while Metal Cable doesn't
    In my opinion Metal Cable feels better to use because it's more consistent and reliable as a mobility tool.
    • Grappling Hook launching you instead of smoothly pulling you feels fine, but it can feel unpredictable at times especially when used on the ground.
    • Grappling Hook's mob pull mechanic can be frustrating when you're intentionally using the spell for movement, especially when around lots of mobs. I don't think anyone needs the mob pull mechanic at all, especially since you can make use of Implosion or Call of the Hound to push enemies towards your traps.
    I think it would be better for Grappling Hook if it works more like Metal Cable, but maybe faster cuz that pull is so slow.

Elytry and Avallon like this.
  2. Deusphage

Deusphage gruesome grue Modeler CHAMPION Builder

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Launch is way better for movement.

Samsam101 and ChrisWildfire like this.
  3. ChrisWildfire

ChrisWildfire Wild and On Fire

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Yeah I can see benefits from Grappling Hook launching you. It's simpler, instantaneous, and not to mention wayy easier to code. However it can feel... awkward.. at times, especially in moments that aren't particularly fast-paced.

How the spell works is efficient, sure, but it doesn't really feel like a grappling hook. It could at least have some delay before the hook wire "releases" you.

Elytry and Elysium_ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.