Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Info Announcement Regarding The Next Update

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by Grian, Sep 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robbee

Robbee Well-Known Adventurer

Minecraft:
    There are only two ways to expand the game: Increasing the width (adding more provinces, quests etc) or increasing the depth (adding new gameplay mechanics or improving the existing mechanics, provinces, quests etc). And if it isn't the former, it is most likely to be the depth. Of course we can't be exactly sure, maybe they suddenly decided to add Fruma first or to change some nonsense and true, we don't know anything about what exactly will be changed. A well-designed province can be better than an annoying new game mechanic, but overall I'm happier with quality-improvements than with just more provinces and thats why I have higher expectations than before, even without knowing the details.
    And whether the content team should be more transparent or not is a whole different discussion. Of course, as the playerbase we want more information, but as I can't assume how much pressure this puts on the creators, I won't make a statement here.

Trash and A Human like this.
  2. HalfCat_

HalfCat_ Supporter of Catania HERO GM Builder

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    This is an example of what I’m talking about. I’m not trying to point a finger at you or anything but it’s just so perfect.
    You got no information at all so you imagine the update is gonna be what you want and therefore get higher expectations as a result.

This is exactly why giving no information creates high expectations.

ThomAnn100, SUPER M and Dr Zed like this.
  3. Stormarend

Stormarend The classes DO NOT correspond with the elements.

Minecraft:
    He didn't though. He only said Road to Dern wouldn't be added. Nothing about any other things that might've been added.

4. Dr Zed

Dr Zed Famous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    It’s not like they can’t do both like in Gavel. Sure, some updates like the Gameplay update focused more on the former, but even that had revamped areas that were practically different with new quests.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    HalfCat_ likes this.
  5. Moss

Moss shoutbox meme supplier

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    im gonna unsub grom ur yt channel you broke my heart

ThomAnn100, Dr Zed and HalfCat_ like this.
  6. Robbee

Robbee Well-Known Adventurer

Minecraft:
    If you read my statement carefully you will find out that I never said to have high expectations, just higher. As longs as RTD was known to be the next update, my expectaions were actually low, but now, as we have absolutely no information, they became neutral. Just because I'm glad that it is not what I don't want, it doesn't mean I'm expecting what I want it to be, I'm just expecting nothing (which is still better than something negative).
    Actually, I would say that giving absolutely no information is the best way to prevent high expectations. Sure, people will make their own thoughts about what they want to see in the next update, but they know that these wishes are very unlikely of being realised, so they are not disappointed. These thoughts were never "expectations" but "wishes" because expectations require something to support them, making you believe in them. But as soon as you start making concrete hints, even if they are just vague teasers like the black area on the online-map, people will start developing their ideas around them, making them more sure about them being implemented because they have something to support their theories. And now we have expectations that can lead to disappointment.
    Of course the third way would be to present very detailed information about the next update. In terms of preventing too high expectations this is much better than vague hints, but it can still lead to disappointment, as plans might be changed, delayed or scrapped and because some texts or videos can never replace a real gameplay-experience, so people will still have wrong imaginations (although they are much closer to the original).
    So if you want to prevent high expectations, I would say "no information" > "detailled information" > "vague information". Which doesn't mean that "no information" is automatically the best way to go, of course there are other arguments like making the community looking forward to the update. Overall, I would say that more information is always better, as long as it doesn't put too much pressure on the content team.
    Personally I would count "recamping gavel" still as a quality improvement, but that depends on the definition of this word, maybe my explanation wasn't clear enough.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  7. Chise

Chise A loli dressing like a cheese >w< VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Dont worry Grian, I believe the entire wynncraft community prefer to have a good quality map and buildings to play with more than a place that isn't really fit for us to play.
    Overall, dont blame yourself too much as we believe (at least I do) the RTD can the the best update in wynncraft history :P
    So yeah... Keep moving on content team, we know how hard is it to create such a big building and area for us to play with

A Human likes this.
  8. tortellini

tortellini spoopy noodle VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    In a lot of your comments you aren't criticizing people, you're just straight up ranting. If you think that it's so easy to make basically a whole gigantic area in only a few months then why don't you make you're own server and try that out. (and yes I know im being a bit of a hypocrite). Just be polite and have a civilized conversation, if someone doesn't agree with something you've said there is no need to go on a rampage and insult them. And you complain that people are getting mad over getting criticized but you're doing the exact same thing.

ThomAnn100 likes this.
  9. Dr Zed

Minecraft:
    They literally only have the name of the update as being confirmed. That’s it. If that’s not being completely dark, I don’t know what is.

As I said before, you can tease a game without ruining it, like in the Hollow Knight example. The main issue people have with them changing plans is that it might take ANOTHER 8 MONTHS for the next update.

There’s a difference between delaying an update because it’s not finished, and delaying it because the devs want to work on something else instead. In the former, it’s to ensure quality because something uncontrollable happened. In the latter, it’s because they screwed up planning and didn’t think through things, which IS something you can control.

And this is where transparency comes in. Other people like myself don’t trust the devs anymore because in Grian’s words, “[They] bite off more than [they] can chew.” So when they don’t say anything, then we assume the worst. Whereas, if they actually planned ahead, and gave us their thought process, then we’d be a bit more trusting.

But instead the community just gets more empty promises and nothing to look forward to, which is the worst of both worlds. And all the devs have to do is simply explain WHY they chose to do something else and why RtD HAD to be delayed for it. But so far not a single dev has done so. And that silence speaks greater volumes than this entire thread.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  10. A Human

A Human Definitely not an alien. VIP+

Minecraft:
    I agree, however Grian said why they didn’t do RtD. It’s because they found it’s too big of a thing to add by 1.18,

11. Dr Zed

Minecraft:
    That’s because he meant that they couldn’t do both. Grian never gave any specific reasons why they chose to do something else. I’m arguing that they never should have changed the update fundamentally when they were 8 months into their project...

SUPER M likes this.
  12. Lachzone

Lachzone Well-Known Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    "Higher Priority" Maybe Fruma...

SUPER M likes this.
  13. starx280

starx280 The boy who cried lunar VIP

Minecraft:
    Thank You.

Thank you for trying your best to get this update released.

Thank you for being so kind to us, even when we aren’t giving you the respect you deserve.

But most of all, thank you for making this server what it is today. That’s an everlasting achievement that all players on the server acknowledge, and will never forget, even through our comments of hate.

We’re human after all, ....heh.

Anyways, on behalf of the entire server,

:praying:Thank you for being our Wynncraft!:praying:

ploo, euouae, Trash and 1 other person like this.
  14. ocu

ocu penguin gang CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    wrong thread
    https://forums.wynncraft.com/threads/thank-you-content-team-for-making-a-good-server.233248/

also NEVER use emojis

ThomAnn100, SUPER M and Dr Zed like this.
  15. ghoti0315

ghoti0315 buff assassin CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    While I should give a compliment for these photos for being pretty, I just want to say something.
    First stuff, don't really expect yourselves to make such a big content. I know everyone have schools, works or some other things. So look at that, you guys can barely do anything per day. Am I right?
    Second thing, why'd you guys put aside the effort of 4-5 months (i guess) and move to something else? Like seriously, we are expecting something until yesterday, and boom, a thread showed up for RtD not being showed up.... We don't really care about it being postponed since you guys may be doing it better, but come on, putting aside the update because of too many workloads? just come on guys

Also I just want a few things: map expansion, molten height contents, gavel revamp
    I do believe you guys are making tnese in the coming update, thanks boi I love u jk im not gay

16. nicktree

nicktree wynncraft player HERO GM

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    Darn no Dern

SUPER M likes this.
  17. Dr Zed

Minecraft:
    I wouldn’t assume anything. The devs and CT definitely don’t want people to.

SUPER M likes this.
  18. Glitch496

Glitch496 Game Master HERO GM

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Don't even care, I just want an update

ploo, ThomAnn100, Tsuneo and 2 others like this.
  19. Mr Gemdone

Mr Gemdone Well-Known Adventurer

Minecraft:
    That is unfortunate, however the screenshots look marvellous! There's so much to be seen here and I have no doubts that when RTD does come out it'll be fantastic!

20. Quint

Quint least estrogenated scripter HERO GM

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    Ok what we're doing is: drumroll please: housing

The biggest priority of all

ThomAnn100, CoolVictor2002 and Dr Zed like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.