Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Addressing Necroposting

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by Wynncraftian, Apr 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wynncraftian

Wynncraftian Old Wynncraftian

Minecraft:
    As many of you guys may know, Necroposting is when you comment on a thread that has not been replied to for at least a month. Necroposting can result in the thread being locked, and other minor "punishments"

Why is Necroposting bad?
    -First off, you're commenting on a post that was written well before you should've responded. Not only is the subject that you might be talking about outdated (as in the matter is already resolved, or if it's an overused question), but the thread can also be "bumped" to the top of the Wynncraft recent list, making the outdated thread getting attention again. This can lead to many people commenting more on the thread, keeping the thread at the top spot, and basically ruling out all the recent and more important-to-date thread.

How can you avoid Necroposting?
    -There is a simple fix to this; 1) Don't scroll all the way back into the deep and dark parts of the forums. This means that you should limit your scrolling to only looking at threads on the first, second, third, fourth, and fifth pages of the forums. 2) If you have a problem that is also addressed by the old thread, either make a new thread about it, or just inbox a person inside that thread to further explain their explanation to answer the question. In case you got caught up with the wording, and don't understand what I'm saying, I'll give you guys an example:

(Question) "What is the code for ____ quest?" (1/27/15)
    [User] "The code is pretty easy, to finish the puzzle, you have to connect the wires to the other color wires to solve the puzzle"
    [User] "I have a screenshot if you need it"
    [(Question) User] "No thanks, I solved the puzzle with the help of my friend! But thanks anyways!"
    Instead of commenting on this thread, just inbox one of the users for the answer that you need.

Now some of you guys may be thinking: "Salted already wrote this on the rules and information page." I noticed that more and more people are starting to Necropost on threads that are 2 months old. Just to confirm, Necroposting is when you comment on a thread ONE MONTH old. Not only this, some new users might not take the time to actually read the rules, and just hurry into the forums to sell their precious items. So I hope Necroposting will finally get noticed, and come to an end. So the next time you scroll through the forums, try to not Necropost; it doesn't only affect the people commenting in the thread, but everybody else that's surfing the thread too.

inb4 this thread gets necroposted

cars3n, WilsonKry, Zitrine and 10 others like this.
  2. captainganon

captainganon God of k | Derpalope VIP+

Minecraft:
    [​IMG]
    oh the irony that would be if that happened

3. IreczeQ

IreczeQ Well-Known Adventurer CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    I don't get how people can necro something that is now on ~250th page...

4. Wynncraftian

Minecraft:
    Idk, they're probably those deep sea scuba divers that go to the 100th page and comment

Devourer, Stycore and FlamingPinecone like this.
  5. Bank

Bank Famous Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    If you're comments are on point then we don't mind necroposts, better to bring up another point then to make a new post just to add an on point comment.

6. 01100110111

01100110111 wings of ice VIP+

Minecraft:
    ^ What Bank said.

Necroposting is defined in the rules thread as
    Your points are good ones, but sometimes people forget that not all posts on old threads are bad, and that threads from months ago can still be relevant.

7. bloww

bloww Shoutbox Fancam Account HERO

Minecraft:
    Hello,today is 06/27/2017 !
    Happy necro day !

8. bnmaz

bnmaz Item Hoarder VIP+

Minecraft:
    im going to wait a month then reply to this. you cant stop me.

WilsonKry, Bio, Kusu~ and 4 others like this.
  9. DarkDemonDragon

DarkDemonDragon Sorta Veteran

Minecraft:
    There is only one necropost that I simply hate:

Random Person that hasn't posted on the thread ever:
    "This is old and should be locked"

I'd forcibly ban people that do this not really for any logical reason, but it just simply ticks me off greatly. You waste the time of the people that are notified of the thread, you waste the time of people that click on the thread because it was bumped, and then you waste the time of a staff member that must determine if this should actually be closed now. Furthermore, if the thread does get closed you then waste the time of the original thread poster and staff, because if the thread was something like a suggestion or shop that went inactive for a bit the thread owner must now undergo the hassle of PMing a moderator to request the thread be unlocked if the owner wishes to resume the thread.

tl;dr - People that do this are time wasting jerks

D7 and Devourer like this.
  10. Wynncraftian

Minecraft:
    MOST people don't necropost to say something that's important

XavierEXE likes this.
  11. Yuno F Gasai

Yuno F Gasai Forum God, FW

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Well the threads are supposed to get auto locked but someone fucked up.

XavierEXE and Wynncraftian like this.
  12. Chickenometry

Chickenometry A chicken that does trigonometry

Thanks for your advice! I will limit my scrolling to the First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and no further than the Sixth page. You are right, replying on threads Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven or more months ago are quite unnecessary, just like how you and I had to write the numbers out explicitly instead of just saying 1st to 5th or first to fifth or first five.

Wynncraftian likes this.
  13. Gelbin

Gelbin Bring back Shoutbox (And Craftedmovie)

Guild:
    I will be resurrecting this thread in a few months okay?

Chickenometry likes this.
  14. DarkDemonDragon

DarkDemonDragon Sorta Veteran

Minecraft:
    No, a certain pig decided to fly away -.-

XavierEXE likes this.
  15. Wynncraftian

Minecraft:
    No problem :)

16. Inactive User

Inactive User Famous Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    I'm determined to wait a month or two until this dies down, and then necropost on it.

XavierEXE likes this.
  17. Moe_Ronickah

Moe_Ronickah Traveling through hyperspace . . .. CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    First, and foremost, it doesn't matter to me if your first post had my post, yesterday, in mind or not. I'd still have found an example of when what appears to be a violation of the necro rule really is not a violation, but my post, above, is a good enough example that I'm going to use it.

As @Abandonedbank , said, above, the rule actually is:
    "17. Necroposting
    (Posting on a thread that hasn't been replied to in 30 days or more for no legitimate reason.)
    "
    which is not what you commented. The difference is that there is no real reason to duplicate certain threads, threads, for example, like "What Is The Stupidest Thing You've Heard In Wynncraft" do not need to be duplicated unless they are lost. That is the legitimate reason why my post, yesterday, carried the caveat "DON'T EVEN THINK OF SCREAMING "NECRO!" THIS THREAD IS INCAPABLE OF BEING NECROED! IT SHALL ALWAYS BE ALIVE! Besides, where else are we going to post this kind of thing?" That "Besides, where else are we going to post this kind of thing?" was very important to my point, and is the non-silly part of my caveat. We just do not need to post things of the nature of what I posted in a new thread. We don't need another thread of the same topic. To do so would be redundant, and unfair to @Eduard0 , who had the idea for the original thread a long time ago.

As to the rest of your comment, I agree, as I have seen several necro posts this past month that were, shall we say, strange? Early this month I flagged three or four threads as necro's, and, without really paying much attention, I've seen at least four or more that were closed as necro's. So, the discussion in your thread is really valuable; necro posting without any real reason or any real thought is a pain in the neck to everyone who has to deal with the necro, as you well explained.

As to all of you characters threatening to necro this thread, and you know who you are, how about just referring to this thread when someone necro's a thread for no legitimate reason? :laughing:

18. Wynncraftian

Minecraft:
    So basically, as long as the comment is about the subject, then it's fine?

Moe_Ronickah and XavierEXE like this.
  19. Meatloaf4311

Meatloaf4311 The Meaty Helper HERO

Minecraft:
    The way if accidently necro only when I sort the forum by replies and end up on some post with very few responses only later to realize I necroed

20. Moe_Ronickah

Moe_Ronickah Traveling through hyperspace . . .. CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    If it was about my post, it would be an honest misunderstanding of the rule, so why would there be a problem? If I was wrong about that post, I would have taken the discussion to pms with a mod if the "Stupidest" thread got closed, and explained why I believe that it wasn't necroposting according to the rules. The discussion just cleared up the potential issue. There isn't any problem with me about this thread or you; why else would I say what I had said, "I'd still have found an example of when what appears to be a violation of the necro rule really is not a violation, but my post, above, is a good enough example that I'm going to use it"? As to the other type of necroposting, what you said needed to be said, and the discussion of that is a good idea, too. All in all, a good idea, a good post, a good discussion, and some good clarification.

AND: almost any discussion about a subject is fine, just don't make personal attacks. Now, if you had said, "That Moe_Ronickah is a real idiot. That stupid son-of-female-snake necroposted a thread that had been dead for more than two freaqking months. Then, he had the pinballs to write a dayum excuse at the bottom of his stupid Az post", that would have gotten me a little irked. I'm not a real idiot, I'm a moronickah! Get it right! Also, pms asking things like this topic work, however, the open discussion is better because we get more ideas from more forum members.

XavierEXE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.