Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

Game Mechanics Shurikens shouldn’t activate a melee cooldown

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by BlakeDwarf, Oct 3, 2024.

?

Should shurikens not activate a melee cooldown?

1. Yes

80.0%
  2. No

20.0%
  1. BlakeDwarf

BlakeDwarf BlakeDwarf CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    The shurikens are great for dealing extra damage, but are somewhat limiting as they activate a main attack cooldown, making them unsuitable for builds that rely on mana steal or life steal.

Shurikens should be independent of your main attack, but will still do spell damage. You will still throw them with a left click, but you will be free to melee mobs while they are thrown. Perhaps this could increase diversity as they can now be more compatible with weapons like Oblivion, Nullification, and Weathered.

(Logically it also doesn’t make sense. Aren’t you throwing the shurikens with your other hand and not the hand you are holding your dagger with?)

Elysium_ likes this.
  2. Cala

Cala The Small VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Don’t you make both a melee attack and throw the shurikens though? Or am I misremembering

Melkor likes this.
  3. paRtifire

paRtifire Skilled Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    nah make shurikens proc ms and ls :like:

4. Aya

Aya Very Serious Gensokyo Journalist HERO

Minecraft:
    Jokes aside, why do spells not proc ms and ls? It makes spell builds strictly based on mana regen and health regen and I think it sucks. I think spell builds that rely on mana steal and life steal could be very interesting, allowing for a sort of hit-chain oriented type of gameplay loop.

You know what, Ima cook up a suggestion on this.

5. xihuanchirenrou

xihuanchirenrou Well-Known Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    Spellsteal exists, like Divzer builds.

6. Aya

Minecraft:
    Yeah but it relies on mashing melee attacks to regenerate mana which is extremely exhausting on the hands and basically impossible for the melee classes since no enemy will ever be in range for melee attacks when getting hit by spells. I mean that I want successful spells to chain into more spells without the involvement of melee attacks.

If this would be too much of a buff to the stat, what could be done is to separate both types of mana and life steal into different stats, I guess.

7. xihuanchirenrou

xihuanchirenrou Well-Known Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    If spells procced mana steal, then mana steal basically becomes mana regen while in combat. Given that mana steal is also better than mana regen (40 ms is better than 40 mr since ms is x/3 and mr is x/5) it wouldn't actually add any variety and mr becomes a QoL stat for out of combat use. Yes you could say that mashing attacks is tiring on the hands but 1, mana steal is better with lower attack speed, which means optimal mana steal has less clicks, and 2, casting spells is extremely exhausting on the hands too if you want to argue that a melee attack every few seconds is too much to ask.

As for the melee classes, it's surprisingly possible to play uppercut surfing with mana steal. Assassin gets kinda fucked by its melee range, I agree, but weightless cheats for mana sustain, and Spellshade kinda needs to use mana steal but it gets shadow travel + vanish to make its job easier, as well as Devourer + Harvester and Dagger Proficiency II.

Also "successful spells to chain into more spells without the involvement of melee attacks" exists via Generalist, Weightless, all of Arcanist, Masquerade + Depersonalization, Invigorating Wave, technically Recycling if using all of Arrow Shield's charges or missing Arrow Storms is "successful" (that one's a stretch), and Mana Regen

8. Aya

Minecraft:
    Valid arguments. However, I disagree on mana steal and mana regen leading to the same results since mana steal would require successfully hitting enemies (which, admitedly, isn't very hard considering how massive most spells are) and if you don't you need to regenerate that mana naturally, which will be hard unless you have a lot of mana regen. Mana regen doesn't make spells lead into more spells. You are going to get that mana back whether you miss attacks or not.

I agree that maybe the way most spells are designed would make the result extremely similar, but I don't think it would lead to exactly the same result, just like all those other abilities. Quite a few changes would need to be made to make this work though, I guess.

9. point_line

point_line Well-Known Adventurer

Spells giving back mana would just be equivalent to reducing spell costs which already exists