Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

Game Mechanics Festival Trinkets

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by nip nop, Apr 14, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nip nop

nip nop thinking hurts CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    I have a rather small suggestion for festival trinkets; as we all know, for most of the combat/utility trinkets that you get from the festivals, they have their effects halved outside of their respective festival. It's very disappointing as many of these items are incredibly fun and unique, but will become rather worthless outside of that one very specific time frame of the year. The reasoning that we know, is that the content team does not want players to have advantages over others by having powerful items only available in a limited time window. The Isles of Fiction exists, but it only sells armor/weapons and none of the trinkets.

Why? To help include some exclusivity to the trinkets, and give more of a purpose to obtaining them each festival. However, we could still remove the need for halving specific trinket effects and keep exclusivity for the festivals. It's a simple solution, add trinkets to the Isles of Fiction merchants for a high price similar to the gear, but do not give them any specific year tag. This way, they will be readily available for the entire playerbase, but still incentivizes players to get those items during the festivals as they will be cheaper and have an exclusive year tag which makes them valuable collectibles.

Exactly which trinkets should be sold is a bit up in the air however. The obvious ones, which I centered this post around, are the trinkets whose effects are halved outside of their respective festivals. And then I believe any other trinket that provides some sort of "utility" should also be sold, like the Bag of Tricks, Rune of Acceleration/Stamina, all the trinkets that change the world time/weather, and any others that give tangible benefits/uses. Trinkets that have solely cosmetic purposes, like Bottled Spirits, Portable Pottery, and all of the plushies could remain festival exclusive, but what exactly constitutes a utility and cosmetic trinket could maybe be up for debate.

Always loved trinkets in Wynn, and I think they could be implemented way better and have more of a central use in the game, but that's a bit of a discussion for another time.

turtletop, Samsam101, Lex! and 7 others like this.
  2. Tzelofachad

Tzelofachad Owner of the Rift, manager of the Uz hotel HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    interesting

3. BriantHere

BriantHere Travelled Adventurer

add a poll

Edit: also this is a cool idea

4. Earthbrine

Earthbrine The Dirt of the Realm CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    hey I was going to say that

5. Stonefriend

Stonefriend Well-Known Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    Good idea! Maybe instead of [20xx] they could be labled [IOF] instead so you know the trinket is baught from there :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    ineedhelp likes this.
  6. Melkor

Melkor The dark enemy of the world HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    As someone who frequently doesn't have time to get stuff when the festivals are going, this would be pretty nice.

7DaysAgo likes this.
  7. Deusphage

Deusphage gruesome grue Modeler CHAMPION Builder

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    It's not just that we don't want players to have a limited time to get good items, it's that we don't want good items period. Making gadgets too powerful effectively adds them to every build, when they're not meant to be super useful, and are moreso meant to be fun

Bwitty03 likes this.
  8. nip nop

Minecraft:
    This is an absolutely hysterical line

Smallersnail likes this.
  9. CrypticLucid

CrypticLucid archangel on top VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    i mean the point was so that not every single trinket that gave buffs was used in every build (ahem sigil of the terror rage abuse)

10. TheLMiffy1111

TheLMiffy1111 Previous Leader Of A Revived Wynn Community CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    deusphage moment

11. Deusphage

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    We don't want gadget creep. I don't get what's super crazy about that. They're meant to be mostly novelty.
    We're actively trying to reduce the number of trinkets from festivals (as publicly stated by lex). You have even talked to lex about how her present solution for avoiding them being strong or even just good is by making them effectively only functional during the events.
    The only reason I could really fathom why it would be utterly ridiculous coming from me from when I am essentially parroting words from the person who manages festival stuffs is because you just don't like me. I don't like the two of you either, but I don't actively try to mock your posts because of that.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
    luckeyLuuk likes this.
  12. nip nop

Minecraft:
    You don't speak on behalf of the entire content team. And any CT member trying to claim they're trying to avoid "creep" of any kind, is objectively hilarious. Have you not seen your game for the past one and a half years? Of course trinkets would be used, and they could easily be rebalanced and implemented so as to where to they take more of a central role and are healthy in the game. Making exclusive items that are only usable in one specific time frame of the year, and useless every time else, is not how you game design

If this is referring to me, then no, this is not something that I have agreed upon is a good solution.

I'm not actually sure anyone in the community takes your words as a content team member seriously anymore

trex1611 likes this.
  13. CrypticLucid

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    u missed deusphage's point anyways though
    the point was "ooo look a cool trinket"
    not "ooo look an addition to my build"

albeit sigil of the terror is used for rage abuse a lot but not something i can say anything about

i think that putting all trinkets like citadel's dawn would be fine though

Deusphage likes this.
  14. ThePurpleEmerald

ThePurpleEmerald Famous Adventurer

That supposed to be a bad thing? I don’t mind an extra element players can utilize in combat

15. nip nop

Minecraft:

16. CrypticLucid

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    its not an integral part of the game for a reason though? and i dont think that it was intended to be?
    its not like you identify them or they're mobs drops, and i highly doubt it will ever be that way

17. Lex!

Lex! :] CT Manager QA GM CMD CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    trinkets are currently a very strange system. i'd love to use them more in wynn but the current implementation makes me hesitant to really do so. i'd like to get them turned into a more official item type before exploring their potential much further.

as for festival trinkets - i'll consider adding them for sale at the isles of fiction. i'm more hesitant to remove the effect reduction outside of the festival duration, though. that's a restriction i might revisit if/when trinkets become a more official item type, as i mentioned above, but for now will likely remain.

18. Deusphage

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I don't
    We are in fact, trying to avoid gadget creep. I don't see how the fact that there was powercreep with 2.0 therefore means that we cannot aim to reduce any future creep. They're not mutually exclusive.

What is "good game design" is often incredibly subjective and wholly dependent on the intended experience for the players. There are very few rules of 'how you game design', but limited time items is decidedly not the game-design crime you're making it out to be.

You didn't agree upon it, but it happened. You were made aware of the fact we want to avoid gadget creep, even if you disagree with the approach taken to combat it.

People do, in fact most people do. People like you who detest me are a miniscule minority. I also don't see why making this comment was necessary, other than some attempt at trying to spread your misery like some comic villain.
    I don't get why you can't just, I don't know ... not take every opportunity you have to snide me. It doesn't improve any situation, and I doubt you're getting any vindication from being mean to a random girl. I don't like you either, but I will still often reply to suggestions or feedback you make objectively and ignore my biases, because being mean doesn't accomplish anything.
    It works in some games, but it would drastically change the current way situations in Wynn are approached and conquered in a way that other CT I've talked to don't believe the game should go— nor did we design the content around it going that way. We're already dealing with the power differences that 2.0 created between player and world, and trying to find ways to level out the game experience more, and adding another variable in the middle of that will just complicate things a whole lot.
    Maybe in the future trinkets could be in the vein of accessories, or like special consumables you can only have one of active at a time, but right now I, and others, believe it's not the right time.

(Used "we" a less to show what I actually mean when I say "we")

19. Samsam101

Samsam101 Star Walker GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    "gadget creep" is poor wording for what deus is trying to get across. to put it into better terms, we don't want trinkets and script consumables to become "meta" (or more specifically, something people actively use in difficult content for an upper hand). the problem is that there are only so many fun harmless gimmicks you can make before you start to run out of ideas.

for this reason, trinkets will probably remain scarce

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    CrypticLucid, Deusphage and ineedhelp like this.
  20. Deusphage

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    thank you for explaining it better than I could

CrypticLucid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.