Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

Game Mechanics Create fully custom game music in resource pack

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by flogic, Dec 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flogic

flogic Well-Known Adventurer CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    The last few Minecraft updates have increased the maximum resource pack size to a staggering 250MB. This is plenty for dozens of custom tracks to be included without the need for laggy and desynchronizing note block tracks. Additionally, the slider for music volume could apply to the ingame music for Wynncraft.

Of course, the main drawback is that it only works on 1.18 clients, but Wynncraft has to update eventually, and I suspect they'll choose to sooner rather than later. This feature could be an excellent selling point to the players.

2. Melkor

Melkor The dark enemy of the world HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Wynncraft likely won't update soon, maybe not ever. It actually still runs on 1.8 unless that's changed without them mentioning it, and would require massive reworks in order to update.

Bart (MC), ThedumbOX, Klepto and 2 others like this.
  3. Lousyre

Lousyre Famous Adventurer

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    A resourcepack that size would just drive off players, especially on low-level computers; nobody would want to download and run such a large thing.

4. flogic

Minecraft:
    There have been talks of updating within the Wynntills community, which shares developers with Wynncraft. I suspect this is the rumored significant technical changes of the upcoming update. Like it or not, you can't stay on an old version forever. They'll always want to support the latest version to appeal to new players. As that gets further and further from the server's base version, the packet translation becomes more intensive and sophisticated.

Valid point, maybe an option then? I believe recent updates have done better with the mess that is downloading resource packs from servers. On top of this, only supporting the latest version would also increase the stability of this resource pack. As for 'running such a large thing,' I don't think it would take much longer to load; I assume most of the resource pack loading time is spent uploading shaders and textures to the GPU. In the grand scheme of software, 250MB is not that huge of a download; we're just used to super small pixel-art texture downloads. To that end, I don't think it'd be an issue for low-end computers. Plus, in reality the pack could be maybe like 150MB with a lot of tracks highly compressed? It's hard to guess, but I doubt they'd go all the way to 250MB

ThedumbOX and luckeyLuuk like this.
  5. Melkor

Melkor The dark enemy of the world HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    It's possible they'll update, but it's been, what, 7 years since they last did? It's possible they could make a workaround like with other update specific features though.

ThedumbOX likes this.
  6. TrapinchO

TrapinchO retired observer of the wiki VIP+ Featured Wynncraftian

Minecraft:
    Maybe add an option what pack to download? Like with/without music

Crystqllized and flogic like this.
  7. flogic

Minecraft:
    I think it's a question of when not if. Minecraft is the only game with so much legacy usage, and there's no good reason anymore. Especially with the latest security vulnerability, it's pointlessly challenging to maintain the server on an old version.

That's beside the point of this thread, though; they don't even need to update to implement this with 1.18 clients. All I'm suggesting is an option to download the resource pack with bundled music :thumbsup:

quick edit to add:

An even more compressed form could be to add each instrument sound individually and play songs like the current note block form, but then the client will still suffer from desync when there's lag.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    luckeyLuuk likes this.
  8. mzxie

mzxie Well-Known Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    honestly the noteblocks give a huge sense of consistency and charm to the music, and the huge resourcepack file size would suck ass on shitty connections. i would be all for adding in another noteblock sound like a flute or trumpet or something though

luckeyLuuk and Samsam101 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.