Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

How To Create A 100-level Long Dern Without Ruining The Item Meta

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Samsam101, Apr 25, 2021.

?

Do you think this idea would be a good way to make Dern significantly harder w/o ruining the meta?

1. Yes

65.1%
  2. No

30.2%
  3. Other (please specify)

4.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samsam101

Samsam101 Star Walker GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    A problem I've seen with the idea of having a realm of Dern that lasts for 100 levels is that the item meta would be ruined. Well, for a couple of months, I've had an idea for a solution to this issue.

Pretty much, when you approach the Dern portal with the ability to enter, the ''black sans'' shadow being tells you:

''Unfortunately, your gear will not work in such a purely dark world. It is too strongly imbued with Light.''
    ''If you want to enter, you should give all your gear to me, for safekeeping. You will get it back when you return to this realm.''
    ''I will also keep any gear you get from the Dark realm when you return. Good luck.''

Pretty much, you can only have your normal items in the Overworld, while Dern is like starting a new save file, almost. The shadow being holds on to your Overworld items while you're in Dern, and vice versa. That allows for Dern to have 100 new levels of content. Of course, it doesn't have to be 100 levels, it could easily instead be 50 or so.

All current items will be overworld only, while all the items in Dern will be Dern-only. This allows the CT to create a new item meta, featuring:

A new selection of Mythics
    New sets
    New major IDS

The mobs in Dern would be far stronger canonically, but they would start out at the same difficulty as a level 20 boss to a level 15. Your items are weaker than the ones you used in the Overworld, though. Just like the Overworld, it takes a while for most items to be seriously good.

Personally, I like this idea. All Overworld content would not become trivially easy as a result of this (you get no health bonuses from leveling up above 105) and Dern would be able to have lots of new stuff.

That's all I really have to say, I hope the Content Team considers this as it could be a good move

2. alexphilgab

alexphilgab The Godsent CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Wow I am quite impressed by such an smart idea. It would really fit well and it would also allow CT to create huge content (like as much as original Wynn) because at the moment the problem of expending the map and the level cap is the meta but having new major updates that work a little bit like a DLC for a regular game would let CT do what they want. Love it !

3. dr_carlos

dr_carlos Morph Gang! VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Whilst 100 levels of Dern is a bit much, the concept is sound.
    Just as long as this black Sans doesn't steal everyone's mythics to prevent inflation

Aya, 99loulou999 and Ninja_VK like this.
  4. Samsam101

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I think black sans is to be trusted, he seems like a good person

99loulou999 and MlecznyHuxel99 like this.
  5. TheWitch3r

TheWitch3r "Killing monsters" CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    Hmm, I have to admit I see the problem on one hand, but in the other I personally don't really like it. What is the point of optimising the gear and items if you can't use them further anyway?
    If you really want to prevent Dernic items be used before you can just add a quest requirement for them. And well, as always if you have an high lvl character you can't prevent it from oneshotting everything that's lower.
    Maybe a solution to the problem is to have the same mechanic for the raids/dungeons/etc... is scaling the lvl of the enemies.

AlleonVera likes this.
  6. Samsam101

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    The idea is that Dern can become a large piece of content for the Wynn team to work on for a while, rather than an easy task like the Realm of Light. Something I fear with Wynn is running out of ideas for content and thus receiving no more updates, so having a full overworld-sized second realm would be nice and would double the server's update lifespan

alexphilgab likes this.
  7. fishcute

fishcute fish CHAMPION Builder

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    Only other way I can think of is to buff all the current high level items and increase their level requirement, then fill in the void created around 80-100

8. strikeflame5356

strikeflame5356 what do I write here VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I honestly don't see what the problem is. Just make Dern a higher level area the same way Troms is higher in level than the Desert, and Ahmsord is much higher than Troms, etc. This suggestion is just weird, since not only do you have to start back from scratch, having 400 hp or whatever it is, but it just doesn't make sense. Why would the player give some random guy he doesn't know who's been showing him weird visions all of his stuff? This won't keep the meta from breaking, the meta will just become whatever is useful in Dern since there's no reason someone would spend time outside of Dern in the endgame, and it'll feel like this was just a lazy attempt to artificially prop up the current meta. They've moved the max lvl before from 70 to 100, so I don't see why they wouldn't do it again. I honestly wouldn't mind the current meta becoming obsolete, our current builds would still be useful in the 90-110 level range and then class builders would have a blank slate to work with for the rest of the Dern levels.

I don't think this is a bad concept, I just don't think it makes sense for Dern specifically. Dern should be the culmination of everything we've done starting from getting "recruited" by the Wynn military. If there was a 100 lv long area that made us start from scratch in a sense, it would have to be Fruma. If that was the route they chose to go with Fruma, or another area where starting over might make sense, it would basically be playing the role that would be played by a sequel or DLC in other games, whereas Dern would be the final level of the base game if we're going with that analogy.

Endistic, Aya, Nukewarmachine and 3 others like this.
  9. Jbip

Jbip yea QA GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I think this is a super cool idea, but maybe not for Dern specifically. BOTW has a challenge like that where there's this island where you start with nothing on it which is pretty cool. This could easily be another piece of content, I just think dern is too important to restrict the player's gear and it might end up being frustrating :(

Emogla3, Aya, Nukewarmachine and 3 others like this.
  10. Samsam101

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    What? No? Fruma is a mere province while Dern is an entire realm, why the hell would Fruma make more sense? Plus, Fruma is probably set to release before Dern, so yeah I don't see that happening

As for the meta becoming obsolete, both realms would have their own meta instead of sharing one. And in the case of there being no need to go back to the overworld, there is plenty of content there for lategame players to continue enjoying like EO and TCC

I know, a trials of the sword thing would be cool, but really the thing I'd like with something like this is to enable some space for lots of new content from the CT

edit: months later i have realised that you were talking about that one awesome shrine puzzle and not trials of the sword

trials of the sword is still pretty similar though

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  11. 3XTWISTEDTITAN

3XTWISTEDTITAN The Traveler

Minecraft:
    utter destruction of the meta with the introduction of new and more intestering items actually sounds really good...

12. Potatomancer

Potatomancer Budget Wither

Minecraft:
    Wynncraft+

dr_carlos likes this.
  13. LionII

LionII :D HERO

Minecraft:
    This reminds me of World of Warcraft retail players vs classic players.

14. Samsam101

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Necropost, but I'm willing to let this thread stay open

Moderators please do not close it

15. Xeabia

Xeabia A creative mind who's clumsy as heck HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    owo, this looks really cool! Actually, your idea is very similar to another Minecraft server, Monumenta. There's a Region 2 that's like another Overworld where compared to items from the first Overworld your in (Region 1), starting items are as strong as endgame items. Your still allowed to equip Region 1 Items, but they are vastly weaker than Region 2 Items, in both stats and Region 2 having more cool and powerful "abilities". However, when you have a Region 2 Item in Region 1, you take 3x more damage, have unlimited Blindness and Slowness, and deal 1/3 as much damage. All of this gives that player that they have sort of ascended into a more expanded and complex system than Region 1 with all new challenges. So, this idea is actually really cool. :3 Mabye you can add on the detail that Dern items do nothing in the normal Overworld or heavy penalties that can't be cured when equipping them, so that people can actually use their Bank space for Dern and Overworld items.

16. Nukewarmachine

Nukewarmachine emerald tier above LE when VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Would the player keep their bank and emeralds throughout both the overworld and Dern, or would the bank and emeralds of both areas be separate? And would you also be given a starting weapon upon entering Dern?

17. Samsam101

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Good question, they would obviously have a different bank. I think it would be interesting if they also had their own currency. For instance, the bank could be a ''voidal storage'' and the currency could be ''darkness crystals''

I will elaborate on this later

18. Skylaar

Skylaar erm VIP+

Minecraft:
    I think something that could be done is make Dernic Items as strong as current items, meybe a little stronger, but they get a boost in stats while youre in Dern.
    That would allow for new items to be created that wouldn't interfere with the current balance, and still allow Overworld items to be used in Dern and vice-versa

Endistic likes this.
  19. Sir_Doomed

Sir_Doomed Can't think of anything to put here

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    If overworld items become obsolete, then mythics will crash because everyone will be focused in dern.
    And even if they don't, people are going to need to get mythics for both dimensions.

20. Emogla3

Emogla3 az is bad 2: the movie HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I think that this could be a pretty good idea, but it shouldn't be Dern, just as Jbip said. I don't want to venture in an SE-style area for 100 full levels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.