Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

Game Mechanics Enemy Resistance in Lootrunning

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by BadNewsBears, Aug 6, 2023.

?

Do you agree?

1. Perhaps

85.7%
  2. No

14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadNewsBears

BadNewsBears Well-Known Adventurer CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    I ran into a consistent problem after doing multiple lootruns today, and that is the enemy resistance curse. The curse seems to have a maximum of +6 additions, each curse giving +15% enemy resistance per. That is a total of 90% resistance. This curse is multiplicative to damage, meaning regardless of current or gaining damage, it will always be only 10% of your damage. It completely destroys the balance of the lootrun, as that means each damage buff will only have 10% effectiveness. Even getting very lucky with boons like +320% damage late into the run, it will actually only be +32% damage. Meanwhile, the mobs gain an additional +40% health. That doesn't include the other beacon upkeep like +challenges and +time, so it is almost mathematically impossible to have a successful lootrun if +6 enemy resistance curses are applied.

A simple strategy would be to save 2 aquas and 1 dark grey for the final 3 challenges so I don't have to deal with curses along the way, but that only applies if I either 1: get very lucky beacon choices last second, or 2: have +4 beacon choices from orange which almost never happens. I'm not sure if it's just me, but enemy resistance seems to be the most common curse applied and it is also by far the worst. Of course, a simple fix would be to make the curse +10% resistance or approximate, but that's a pipe dream. I feel like I hit a wall in my run when I get enemy resistance and I am at the point where I straight up stop the run because of it. I'll end on a positive note: I like the new lootrunning system because it took away a lot of competitive toxicity that came from fighting for chests, as well as the inconsistent discord for claiming worlds (plus they're fun). Please consider these changes. I'm sure I'm not the only player who has experienced this frustration.

TLDR: Enemy resistance curse is cracked the bad way, please nerf

2. The Demon Queen

The Demon Queen Queen of Darkness, Queen of Evil CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    Who thought giving mobs with millions of hp up to 90 DR was a good idea

KaiserSpin likes this.
  3. Melkor

Melkor The dark enemy of the world HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Yeah, this just incentivizes the "only get the dark grey at the end" strategy, which takes some of the potential risk that might be introduced by getting purple beacons (or the dark grey) at any point along the run. Mobs getting more health/damage/speed/whatever else they get make sit more difficult, but not in a way that can completely shut down most builds after just a few curses if you're unlucky.

KaiserSpin and TheEvilMamba like this.
  4. Vacuum Cleaner

Vacuum Cleaner Well-Known Adventurer

They should add a -resistance boon like the weaken enemy one

5. TheEvilMamba

TheEvilMamba Travelled Adventurer

Totally agree, this strat is so much distasteful, you can do 800+ effective pulls in 20 minutes, that's approximately what I can do in two hours, it feels like it's an exploit but that's actually luck and RNG, which is very unpleasant in lootruns, long lootrun are hard to commit and not rewarded enough, the topic of this suggestion testifies how much harder and useless it is to do a long lootrun compared to this strat, and the argument that we have more chance to drop mythics inside a long run because of loot quality / loot bonus buffs is quite inaccurate.
    I must say in my personal experience, due to the ineffectiveness of loot quality passing around 40%, I really feel there are no difference between having some and not having at all. One of my friend dropped a mythic inside a loot run in 10 minutes, having no loot quality, while I never got one having beyond 200% loot quality thanks to boons, and only rushing yellow beacons. I think they should remove the 40% loot quality barrier inside lootrun, because it makes no sens to have boons to have much more, while it is way less effective beyond 40% (of course there are plenty of solutions to buff long runs, some less broken than this solution, but the message is clear, we need a steroid on long runs)

As a conclusion, even if I find long runs to be funnier thanks to the way we can overpass minecraft rules and wynncraft rules thanks to boons, it' s unfortunately way more effective to the dark grey strat, I personaly forfeit my loot run when I pass 20 challenges, because it's completely useless to go further (well it's not useless, but it's a waste of time, because I could make a quicker loot run where I only focus on having an aquastacked vibrant grey and an aquastacked vibrant dark grey, which is not really hard to obtain when you have early Orange beacons, I could already forfeit runs around 10 challenges if I didn't get a single orange), even if I don't like it because of the randomness of lootruns early game, it's the way it works to have reward.

KaiserSpin, ineedhelp and Melkor like this.
  6. Melkor

Melkor The dark enemy of the world HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Yeah, right now short runs are way better, which may be intended design, but it doesn't feel like it. They should really give some sort of benefit to long runs, maybe something like 1% loot quality per challenge completed or something else small that adds up over time.

7. TheEvilMamba

TheEvilMamba Travelled Adventurer

I don't know, I feel just like doing long runs should be more rewarded because of the time spent, I believe the content team will act soon, because I really don't believe the lootrun the way they saw it, is the current one.

8. Tfarcnnyw

Tfarcnnyw Skirl CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    I don't think the math works out that way. A +320% after 90% resist still gives +320% dmg, just the final number is 10x smaller before and after. Say you do 10 dmg, after 90% resist its 1 dmg, and after 320% buff its 4.2 dmg which is ~4x what the dmg was pre buff.

Doesn't change the conclusion that 90% dmg resist is crazy.
    Only mythic i have gotten is a warchief in the challange chest. My build has 88 loot bonus (including loot tome), and 0 loot quality. I think loot bonus is more impactful at least before hitting the diminishing returns at 80% though not sure. The loot bonus and loot quality boons really need to be split off from blue beacon, and yellow with loot buffs be made a viable run alternative to end chest pulls. Perhaps a gold beacon that increases loot for all future challenges and adds +1 curse.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
    AdrianOkanata likes this.
  9. RealHamNCheese

RealHamNCheese Likes ham 'n cheese. Resurgence gaming CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Hard agree on this, the res curse is awful once you hit that 75-90%.

Challenges, especially any mobslaying/Destroy stationary mob, start taking way too long or become flat out impossible if you didn't get enough boons. Yes, taking curses is a risk but it shouldn't invalidate a run just because you got unlucky and ended up with resistance multiple times early on. Personally, I take curses 8 times throughout the first half of a lootrun, since there are a bunch of boons tied to the amount of curses you have (and not getting them can kind of screw you over if you take a blue beacon and end up with one or more curse boons, if you get unlucky). If I get resistance in any of these, especially multiple, it always annoys me, since they just end up making challenges a chore.

If I were to fix it? Either flat out remove it (and if this were to happen, remove the crit damage boon as well, since you really only need those because the res curse exists) or cap it at around 50%.

(Also, hi Bears, based thread)

KaiserSpin and ineedhelp like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.