Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

Game Design Partial Mythic Rework

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by En1gmatic, Oct 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. En1gmatic

En1gmatic Skilled Adventurer

Hello everyone. Several weeks ago, I created this thread detailing my thoughts on the game's drop rates for items of the Mythic tier. The purpose of this new thread is to "recap", as it were, some of the major points on that thread, talk about some other problems with items in the Mythic tier, and, finally, to offer some potential suggestions for ways to improve the way that the game treats these items.

I should preface this by saying that I am not against, in any way, the concept of a hyper-rare tier of item. While this creates an awkward economic situation with a potentially huge wealth gap (not unlike the one we see in Wynn), they create an interesting goal to work towards and are, of course, incredibly dopamine-inducing.

The main issue is how the game deals with these. Specifically, the fact that they only drop due to random chance - excluding the Forgery Chest (which is not an ideal way to obtain Mythic items by any means, and even this has an element of luck to it) is an issue. This means that players can play for hundreds of hours and not obtain a single one, whereas others can play for as few as 102 (specifically, myself) and obtain multiple.

This, simply put, is absurd. There are those who would have Agility completely reworked or removed simply because it relies on luck, whilst the base of the entire Wynncraftian economy relies on much more skewed and high-value luck.

One way of fixing this would be to give some sort of "playtime reward", where playing for a certain number of hours (perhaps five hundred or even a thousand would suffice) would grant you a free Mythic item, although this, I suppose, would lead to mass AFK-ing (leaving the Wynncraft server running while partaking in other activities for the sole purpose of gaining playtime). One way to fix this could be to also require a certain total Combat Level (across all classes), so that AFK playtime would be essentially ignored. This idea still needs more "fleshing out" and is incomplete, but I thought I should share my thoughts on this matter regardless.

Secondly, the variety in the prices of Mythic items. This is such a big issue that it must have been covered before, but the fact that a mythic that can be sold and purchased for eleven stacks has the same rarity as one that can be sold for less thirty-two liquid emeralds is, frankly, absurd. Working the same amount of time to get something that varies more than twenty-two times in value is ridiculously luck-based, when Wynncraft seems to at least attempt to be a game based on skill.

Finally, touching more on that last point, the luck required to find Mythics. The most effective (or "meta") way of obtaining Mythics, to my knowledge, simply requires opening chests, a practice which requires little to no skill. For a game that has a sizeable skill requirement for effective use of its weapons and combat system, this is quite strange, and feels like a misplaced lottery that someone threw in because they had no other ideas.

Thank you for your time.

turtletop and creature like this.
  2. Earthbrine

Earthbrine The Dirt of the Realm CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    That would be pay2wynn, since people with ranks would be able to get a higher total combat level, and will be able to do that more easily.

3. TrapinchO

TrapinchO retired observer of the wiki VIP+ Featured Wynncraftian

Minecraft:
    Assuming it is "one you reach x levels" and not "you get one every x levels" it is fine

4. En1gmatic

Bump, ten characters.

5. Dr Zed

Dr Zed Famous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    Ever since mythics were introduced in the Gavel update, I always disliked them. They’re just way too luck based.

En1gmatic likes this.
  6. shacers

shacers no longer replying VIP+

Minecraft:
    yes please

En1gmatic likes this.
  7. TinyCookieJar

TinyCookieJar Well-Known Adventurer

Minecraft:
    I'm not sure about the playtime rewards, but I do think a a non rng based way to get mythics would be nice

En1gmatic likes this.
  8. lemonalade

lemonalade [insert misinformation here] CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    There is a guaranteed method of getting mythics, it's via Forgery Chest

9. TrapinchO

TrapinchO retired observer of the wiki VIP+ Featured Wynncraftian

Minecraft:
    isn't this still quite rng, 1% per full run?

10. lemonalade

lemonalade [insert misinformation here] CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    With CGG coming, rate should be 1.5*(1.01^n) where n is number of runs. So rate is multiplied by 1.01 if you did not receive a mythic for every full 8/8 run (and the rate doesn't reset if you die or anything, only when you actually pull a mythic)

11. En1gmatic

While the Forgery Chest is certainly a step in the right direction, it remains luck-based - a person could obtain five mythics in twenty forgery runs while another must wait 35 runs to get a single one.
    The Forgery is also a highly inefficient way to obtain mythics. If it were the "meta" method for doing so, I would be less upset about the luck required, as the Forgery Chest is, at least, less poorly designed than lootrunning.

12. CGS

CGS Raw Emerald Farmer CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    Me with 45 Forgery runs dry pre 2.0, and 21 dry post 2.0. I have yet to get one, and I am sure someone has it worst then me.

That_Chudley likes this.
  13. AmbassadorDazz

AmbassadorDazz Discord Killjoy Staff Member Moderator HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Do note that the (1.01^n) function translates to a slight increase in the curve, but any bad luck mitigation is welcome. I quickly booted up Desmos and made a graph with the given formula:
    upload_2022-11-2_10-58-6.png
    fig. 1: Chance of getting a mythic as a function of number of runs completed. Y axis is mythic chance, X axis is runs completed. Formula used is y=1.5*(1.01^x).

Attached Files:

lemonalade and En1gmatic like this.
  14. En1gmatic

Even with this, 100 forgery runs is still around 3-4 mythics, assuming standard luck.

15. CGS

CGS Raw Emerald Farmer CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    Each run is 5 minutes if you speed run it, times 7 dungeons is 35 minutes. Not including time between runs like making keys, waiting for your emeralds to drop, and opening the chest. 100 runs is about 58 hours. More efficient than diving in Selchar reefs lmao.

Sg_Voltage likes this.
  16. En1gmatic

In my experience (and the experience of those I've spoke with), each dungeon takes 7-10 minutes - perhaps you have some powerful items that they do not, however five minutes for a single dungeon is an unrealistic expectation. Assuming the bare minimum of seven minutes (and no deaths whatsoever), that would make 56 minutes per Forgery run (bear in mind, there are now eight dungeons - that's the number that "100 runs" comes from). The cost of Runes must be factored in, too. Nii runes are currently priced around 5 emerald blocks per each, Uth runes at around 2, and Tol runes at approximately 4. Assuming that the broken keys are all obtained for free, that's 83 emerald blocks per run. Assuming 4 mythics takes 93 hours (give or take), and 8300 emerald blocks must be spent (that's 129.6875 Liquid Emeralds - over two stacks), you would then have to calculate the average price of a Mythic.

Instead of taking the mean of the various Mythics, I'll be taking the median, as it's much easier to find.

Convergence - 5stx
    Quetzalcoatl - 2.5stx
    Epoch - 15stx
    Immolation - 7.25stx
    Oblivion - 9stx
    Fatal - 2stx
    Revenant - 0.5stx
    Singularity - 4stx
    Stratiformis - 8stx
    Warp - 14stx
    Monster - 3stx
    Spring - 6stx
    Warchief - 0.75stx
    Absolution - 12stx
    Collapse - 3stx
    Divzer - 8stx
    Gaia - 0.75stx
    Inferno - 4stx
    Nirvana - 8stx
    Stardew - 1stx
    Catclysm - 6.5stx
    Dawnbreak - 0.5stx
    Fantasia - 3stx
    Grimtrap - 2stx
    Lament - 3.75stx
    Thrundacrack - 2.75stx
    Toxoplasmosis - 13stx
    Weathered - 10stx
    Grandmother - 7stx
    Idol - 30stx (I was also surprised by the amount that this item beat out the others)
    Ignis - 10stx
    Moontower - 4.25stx
    Nullification - 3stx
    Sunstar - 3.5stx
    Alkatraz - 6.5stx
    Hadal - 3stx
    Slayer - 0.75stx
    Boreal - 2stx
    Freedom - 7stx
    Guardian - 9.25stx
    Olympic - 4.25stx
    Galleon - 0.75stx
    Hero - 9stx
    Resurgence - 3stx
    Crusade Sabatons - 6.75stx
    Discoverer - 9stx
    Apocalypse - 0.75stx
    Aftershock - 6.25stx
    Az - 1.25stx
    Archangel - 2stx
    Pure - 4stx
    Calculating the average of all of these, one ends up with approximately 5.65 stacks per Mythic. That leaves us with 22.6 stacks per run, give or take. Subtracting the 2 stacks that these runs required, that ends up with ~20.6 stacks per run. Dividing this by the 93 hours that this took, one obtains approximately 14 stacks per hour running the Forgery, assuming 7 minutes per run and no mistakes whatsoever.
    I'm unsure as to how this stacks up against other money-making methods.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    Hesnilo and That_Chudley like this.
  17. En1gmatic

This isn't a necropost, is it?
    Hopefully it's not, because this thread needs a bump.

18. Hesnilo

Hesnilo A 5am coffee ☕ VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I guess running for mythics is an integral way to make people play the game near the end. Video games have been putting gambler's fallacy into the equation for a while now, like those gacha games :screamcat:

19. En1gmatic

"Everyone else has this poor design, therefore we must have it too" is a highly flawed argument - just because other games have "gambler's fallacy" into them doesn't mean that Wynn has to, or even should.

creature likes this.
  20. Hesnilo

Hesnilo A 5am coffee ☕ VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Hello En1gmatic, thank you very much for replying to me first up. I believe there seems to be a misunderstanding here, and would like to clear this up.

My previous message wasn't meant to be an argument ngl. My intention wasn't to evoke any strong feelings from anyone either. It was more so to enlighten others to the psychology behind the games that have been out there for a long while. I'm very sorry if I caused any misinterpretations here.

I never stated the words "poor design" and "we must have it too" :/ Although that was your interpretation and opinion of my words, this is definitely not my interpretation, nor what I wanted to convey. It seems my wording wasn't the best to convey my thoughts to you. I must apologise to you for this.

My 1st statement was merely to comment on what I personally see - running for mythics is an integral way to make people play the game near the end - which applies only to a group of people interested in it. I am very aware that this doesn't apply to everyone out there, and understand many people have many other reasons to continue playing in the end-game.

As for the 2nd statement, "Video games have been putting gambler's fallacy into the equation for a while now, like those gacha games", it was not my intention to either support or go against the idea of this concept being applied into games. This statement was merely to state how this phenomenon occurs in many games. There is no word there which explicitly states that I support it or not. It was neither my intention to infer supporting this idea. My intention was to state the facts out there. As such, I would like to apologise for my wording here, due to how it could've been interpreted to relate my 1st sentence.

Reflecting on how I could've expressed my intentions better, I believe I should've typed in the following words at the beginning of my message:
    "It is neither my intention to support or voice my disapproval for this topic. My second sentence is independent from my first statement."

Once again, I deeply apologise for any misinterpretations there due to my wording. I guess the :screamcat: emoji didn't work there to try lighten up the mood unfortunately. I generally try to put in emojis to make what I say more enjoyable. I still have a lot to work on myself.

Thank you for reading both my responses. I really appreciate the time you've dedicated to this post, and wish you the best of luck!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.