Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

The Loot Chest Mechanic Needs To Change

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by NoobDoesMC, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoobDoesMC

NoobDoesMC Skilled Adventurer

Minecraft:
    Remove the mechanic of "older chest, better loot"

Replace it with a mechanic of "any-age chest, random amount of loot"

The current mechanic is that the older a chest, the better the loot in it is.

This makes loot running unenjoyable, there's no way of knowing how long a chest has been around for. But Wynncraft viciously gives you the hope of ensuring good loot by camping out the chest (with the current mechanic).

But while camping out chests other players can just take the (maybe non-existent) loot, causing the first player to have wasted a significant amount of their life.

This is just unpleasant. It won't happen often, but it doesn't need to happen at all.

Instead, there should be no way of guaranteeing better loot.

Just make chests spawn with a random amount of loot, and not get better as they age.

Khaps makes a good point that age-dependent loot incentivises the looting of more remote and difficult chests, but I think this could be done better by a randomised loot system, where the amount of loot is "rolled higher" by the randomiser for chests that are out of the way.

That's even better than the current system for all the reasons you suggest the current system is better, because now the loot there is almost definitely going to be better than the loot of a chest in an area that the devs haven't said is challenging.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  2. Corrupted_Night

Corrupted_Night Well-Known Adventurer VIP

Minecraft:
    The problem is: Players can just camp on a few loot chests until they spawn good loot.

ThomAnn100 and SUPER M like this.
  3. WynnChairman

WynnChairman Chairman of Wynn HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    well then what stops you from just server hopping a bunch of chests and getting pretty much max loot?

SUPER M likes this.
  4. NoobDoesMC

Minecraft:
    Which is awful. This encourages players to waste their time, and other players can come in and steal chests from players that have been camping them out.

I think this just makes everyone more upset.

The chest loot should not depend on the time that the chest has existed.

5. WynnChairman

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    if chests always spawn with max loot, then thered be basically no effort needed to do loot runs
    you could completely fill up from like one or two chests, go back to some city and do whatever, then switch servers and repeat
    your basically asking for free items

SUPER M likes this.
  6. NoobDoesMC

Minecraft:
    Even in the unedited OP, I had already suggested that chests have random loot because I thought of this problem.

All I want to do is remove the age factor from loot quantity.

7. Corrupted_Night

Minecraft:
    It seems you misunderstand my point:
    If chest age does not matter, I will just stay at a place and wait for that chest to spawn.
    If I do not get the loot I want, nvm I will just stay there and wait for it to respawn and loot again till I get what I want.

Some players may feel upset, but it is inevitable.
    For example, someone loot 10k chest but still cannot get a single mythic, so mythic rate should be increased so they will not feel upset?

And most importantly, loot chests is not the only way to gain loot, you can also get loots by mobs or just buy from trade market.

8. NoobDoesMC

Minecraft:
    I don't see a problem with this, and neither should you:

you sound like you support the current mechanic, which means you definitely should see a problem here:

Isn't this the same as the current mechanic? (longer time invested = hopefully better loot)

[rule]

My suggestion just makes camping chests more optional than it currently is.

9. flip

flip Chef HERO

Minecraft:
    if this were to be implemented, well...
    [​IMG]

10. WynnChairman

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    in any case its not like the lootchest belongs to you so i dont get why your calling them scum bags. theres a reason why its called loot "runs" and not loot "camping" your supposed to actually go and ya know, put some effort into actually loot running instead of just sitting on a chest and then complaining when someone takes it
    its true you could potentially go on a loot run and find out the chests have either all been taken or just spawned, but thats part of the experience. you wont always get perfect chests but that doesnt mean you should just complain when you dont

11. Corrupted_Night

Minecraft:
    1.Just do a lootrun in a new server can already get way better loot than old mechanics
    2.The value of items will drop as they are no longer as rare as before
    3.New mechanics takes less time than current one
    (Wait chest to spawn + be old enough to give good loot is as long as waiting the same chest to respawn 2 times)

At least these are what I spot right now.

12. Yuno F Gasai

Yuno F Gasai Forum God, FW

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    You can't really camp a chest, there's a cooldown

13. NoobDoesMC

Minecraft:
    you are assuming that all chests in the new version are stock-full of items.

This is not what I have suggested.

I think chests should have random amounts of loot, the amounts of loot should just not depend on the time the chest has been around.

14. Corrupted_Night

Minecraft:
    Players can stay right near the place where the chest will spawn, wait the chest respawn and cooldown is over and open it and repeat.

Random loot can lead to chests with extreme stock-full of items to happen without a long time waiting, which is a problem the current mechanics does not have.

The main point is: If the amount of loot is not depended on time, what can be used to limit the loot?
    It must have a "thing" to control the amount of loot in loot chests to make them balanced, not overpowered. (which is the time of the chest right now)
    (Loot Bonus of is minor when compared to the time)

Random is neither consistent nor valid way to maintain the amount of loot.

15. NoobDoesMC

Minecraft:
    A die roll
    It very much is

16. Altakar

Altakar former 1000+ day counter moth Item Team

Minecraft:
    @NoobDoesMC
    Since I'm on mobile I will try to leave this short.

Other players taking chests earlier will cause inconsistencies in loot running, which in my opinion is a minor problem(it needs a fix but other stuff is more important). This removes the inconsistencies holding loot running in control. If anything, loot running needs a nerf, and in my opinion the current system keeps the system on borderline manageable.

-Alta

17. Khaps

Khaps Ex-moderator and leader of the Mythic Emporium HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I'm going to get my opinion quick, and then explain : No

You are saying that the current mechanic makes people camp chest, and that your suggested idea will make them go to all kind of chest and not just camp one.

Well, sorry, but you're totally wrong.
    Currently, the best way to get loot, even if you are lazy is to go out and explore to get as much chest as possible, and go to those that are hidden, to make it more likely other players have not yet discovered it. Wynncraft wants to encourage you to explore, not to stay at one spot, they don't want you to stay in the big roads either, they want you to explore, see what is up that mountain, and they give you big tier chest, and unlooted chest as an incentive.
    Meanwhile, what you suggest, is that no matter if you go on a new or old chest, it will have the same chance to have good stuff, wich understand me : Will just make people stay at one chest and look at a video/do another activity until it pops up again...

You also seem to complain that people don't read what you wrote, but I don't see that.

IreczeQ and Poiu429 like this.
  18. NoobDoesMC

Minecraft:
    If Wynncraft doesn't want you to stay at one spot, why did they create a mechanic that rewards it?

And yeah, I can see in theory that having an age-dependent loot "bonus" incentivises finding out-of-the-way chests, but in my experience at least these are the chests people target the most, and you don't know how long a server has been up or how long since the last person looted.

You make a good point though, reward the looting of more remote and difficult chests, and I think this could simply be done by "rolling higher" in the randomiser for the amount of loot in that chest.

That's even better than the current system for all the reasons you suggest the current system is better, because now the loot there is almost definitely going to be better than the loot of a chest in an area that the devs haven't said is challenging.

19. Stormarend

Stormarend The classes DO NOT correspond with the elements.

Minecraft:
    So chest spawn equals instant good loot doesn't encourage chest camping ok

Pokextreme likes this.
  20. NoobDoesMC

Minecraft:
    equals the same chance of good loot as any other chest

Notice "chance", and notice "as any other chest"

Therefore running around ("exploring") is more beneficial given my proposal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.