Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

World "they" Pronouns Instead Of "he"

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Hollz100, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hollz100

Hollz100 who knows tbh CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    There's been a few quests now where NPCs will refer to the player as things like "he" or "sir". I understand it wouldn't be easy to go through all old quests and change these instances, but I wanted to suggest that for future quests the pronoun "they" be used instead.

Yes, I know it's not a huge issue and I know that this is only a game, but it just bothers me a little every time the game assumes "he" is the correct pronoun to use. It's only a small thing but I imagine it might bother some other people too, therefore I think trying to use "they" instead might be a little more apt for all players.

2. SUPER M

SUPER M shoop CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    how about no
    besides it being cringy as hell, as you said before it's only a game. futhermore a roleplaying game. If you can't handle being called a he in roleplaying game then maybe you should chose a diferent type of game.

3. bloww

bloww Shoutbox Fancam Account HERO

Minecraft:
    this makes 0 sense what the fuck

4. SUPER M

SUPER M shoop CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    how does it not make any sense?

5. BrickBuilder03

BrickBuilder03 A penguin that likes turtles. VIP

Minecraft:
    Is it offensive to assume that 99.99% of people in a medieval army are males?

I have no problem with this but I feel like it doesn't add anything to the game and that it makes sense to assume the player character is male in the setting.

6. bloww

bloww Shoutbox Fancam Account HERO

Minecraft:
    how is it cringey
    would you like to be called the opposite gender if youre roleplaying? it just kinda ruins the immersion

7. SUPER M

SUPER M shoop CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I don't really mind. Plus I'm suggesting to rewrite EVERY INSTANCE of the word "he" in all quests. All 124 of them.

8. ReneCZ

ReneCZ Rene Media CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    In this game you are just allowed to play on one gender.

9. Goden

Goden Everlasting Excellency HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I'm not going to support this because, to me, I agree in it making zero sense. Wynn is medieval, and medieval armies featured pretty much no women. Thusly, for the sake of historical accuracy, it's fine as it is.

Also, if you're that easily offended in a _block game_, then maybe you should lighten up a bit.

CountBurn, Dr Zed, Pokextreme and 2 others like this.
  10. Hollz100

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I'm not suggesting it be changed in all quests because that would be incredibly time-consuming. But it really takes no effort just to say "Hey GMs, can you please use 'they' in future quests".

And as I said, I know it's just a game. It's not that I can't "handle" being referred to as male - Most games do that anyway. But for a roleplaying game specifically, as someone else pointed out, it does somewhat ruin the immersion as soon as I see words like "him" or "he". Why do you think it's usually RPG games that let you choose a gender/create a character? It helps you get involved in the game you're playing.

Yes, Wynncraft is just a game (a Minecraft game, at that) and it's not a major issue, but it would be a lot more accommodating to all players and not just those who identify as male. Games force a male persona on people often enough, which is fine, but it's a lot more enjoyable for players such as myself when a game gives us the freedom to identify with our character in some way and get fully involved in roleplaying. It's hard to play a role if you can't relate to it on a level as simple as gender.

It's only a small thing to ask and really doesn't take a whole lot of effort either way.

Medieval armies featured no women? Huh. Did they also have magical spells and zombies? :o

I don't think accuracy is a valid argument as to why we can't make the very simple switch from using "he" to "they" in future quests.

Jbip, 3XTWISTEDTITAN and coolname2034 like this.
  11. RoseGoldIsntGay

RoseGoldIsntGay k e k HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:

Dr Zed and Stycore like this.
  12. Dwicey

Dwicey mmmyes CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:

13. SUPER M

SUPER M shoop CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    So I assume you "suggest" to any other game developers to change all he/ she to they?
    Also don't use the argument "It's a fantasy so your argument is invalid." Just becouse this is a fantasy that doesn't change the fact that armies are made up almost only of men.

funnysillyman likes this.
  14. RamonaFlowers

RamonaFlowers Subspace Delivery Girl CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    The game, by default, and even in its lore, refers you as 'he'. You're a soldier after all. It isn't really applicable to the 21st century since Wynncraft is based off the medieval era where all soldiers are male.

I understand there are many players who have trouble determining their gender but going as far as implementing changes just to accommodate a small majority is plain ridiculous. Take for example, I know there are definitely Muslim players here. What if the game wants you to eat porkchops? The developers will have to delete pigs from the game I suppose?

"This goes against my identity and I suggest changing text to make me feel more enjoyable" is not a valid argument. "Did they also have magical spells and zombies? :o" is an even worse rebuttal. By no doubt medieval armies didn't utilise magic and spells so you can't really compare a game to historical facts.

SUPER M and Dr Zed like this.
  15. Hollz100

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    As I've said -twice- I'm not suggesting to change all old quests. I know that would take too much time and energy. I'm just asking that for future quests it be something that's taken into consideration. Hence why I said it wouldn't take much effort - I'm just asking GMs to keep a simple thing in mind for when they write NPC lines and things. Someone mentioned earlier that they don't mind being referred to as different genders, so why is it a problem that future quests simply don't include one?

Y'all are treating it like it's a massive issue, and like I am too. As I said right at the beginning, it's not a major problem in the slightest, nor does it extremely bother me, but it makes no difference to anyone to just not use words like "he" in future quests. I would personally prefer the usage of "they" and if it makes no actual difference to you guys whether it's "he" or not, then why are we arguing about it?

Yes, I'm going to go around to every game dev and ask them to make all characters non-binary. Obviously.

Ellphant and coolname2034 like this.
  16. RoseGoldIsntGay

RoseGoldIsntGay k e k HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    jill?

17. Crimson Corsair

Crimson Corsair Le funny Corkus Corsair

Minecraft:
    The OP doesn't come across as SJW or anything. What they're saying makes some sense but there's just bigger things to work on in the game.

Good point.

Dr Zed likes this.
  18. sdkgjnio

sdkgjnio hod-SOH-nee-uhs

Minecraft:
    Most of these are referring to male NPCs. There are really only a couple of instances where the player is referred to as male. All we need to do is find them, point them out to a helpful GM and they can be changed really quickly.
    There's literally a female soldier NPC in one of the new quests.
    I'd like to see where this is mentioned. If the player is supposed to be male the whole way through, it really should be made more clear to players from the beginning. I have no problem with this being the case, but if it's left ambiguous until some random NPC casually mentions it in passing it's very confusing.

(It's also entirely possible to rewrite the lines to avoid pronouns altogether. This avoids using the clunky 'they' and also defining the character's gender.)

coolname2034 and Hollz100 like this.
  19. CocoWuffleYT

CocoWuffleYT ThatWuffy VIP

Minecraft:
    I am a girl and honestly I just read right over the "he" or "him" cause it's just a pronoun. It doesn't effect the game a lot, but I of course see where you are coming from. It would be cool if I was referred to as a girl since I am one, but it doesn't bother me enough to feel the need for a change to be made. I see where youre coming from, but at this point, I'm level 74 and don't care about it XD

SUPER M, Dr Zed, coolname2034 and 2 others like this.
  20. BrickBuilder03

BrickBuilder03 A penguin that likes turtles. VIP

Minecraft:
    If you want to change this find specific instances and ask if they could be changed.

coolname2034 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.