Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

Wynncraft Becoming It's Own Game

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by uhhsam, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uhhsam

uhhsam Travelled Adventurer

I guess this is also more of a question rather than a suggestion, but will wynncraft ever be departing from minecraft into forming its own game? One that could be played on consoles and PC and such? I have friends that have played the server and they also have wondered the same thing. Please get back to me when possible! -Sam

2. memethyl

memethyl the king of shitposting VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    do you have ANY IDEA how complicated that would be, moving wynncraft into its own game with its own engine and everything?

also, console is leagues behind PC in terms of content, so it's definitely never gonna move away from PC.

3. captainganon

captainganon God of k | Derpalope VIP+

Minecraft:
    They've expressed in the past that they have no intentions of doing this. Probably because it's a really not a good idea.

4. llllllllllllll

llllllllllllll Famous Adventurer

Minecraft:
    Yeah nah. That would mean everyone's progress reset and no updates for two decades

5. CoolVictor2002

CoolVictor2002 Dead meme expert,cyberbullied by NicBOMB CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    someone is making one RN tho idk if it's dead or not (your work)

SUPER M likes this.
  6. RedstoneLogic

RedstoneLogic Has a neato shop haha please buy my stuff HERO

Minecraft:
    Not to mention the build team would be totally RIP

i eat bees likes this.
  7. colin350

colin350 The Best Admin (duh) HERO CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    The thing with doing this is you take away a lot of the community's involvement in making Wynncraft better. We have a content team, a staff team, a wiki team, people who make tools, people who answer questions, people who make memes (:p), and people who want to improve the game or make the community within it better. The thing that comes to mind for me with a standalone game is that the need for our content team will vanish, and instead we'll need to hire people who are knowledgable about game making and can write software. A standalone game will turn more into a business rather than a community project (which is currently free-to-play, may I add).

The amount of hours which would must go into making Wynncraft into an official game is tremendous, and not to mention that requires a lot of money too. And I'm sure you all don't want to pay upwards of $20 to restart your classes.

Not to mention, like @captainganon said, I'm pretty sure the executive decision has been made that this will not happen officially. However, there is a fan-made "standalone" of Wynn, which you could find by using the search bar on the forums, but the project has been going on for a long time and it's only in really early stages. The people working on it have put a lot of time into it, and it still needs a lot more to make it like what it is now (probably years of work).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  8. Nesaak

Nesaak Good boy HERO

Minecraft:
    Ummm, Not sure who your talking about but I'm almost 99% sure Grian said that he would love to make Wynncraft it's own game if they ever got the funding. Which in reality will not happen but still, it might be a possibility if Wynncraft is still alive for another 4-5 years.

Retathrah likes this.
  9. optic_grizzy

optic_grizzy Wynner for Lyfe VIP+

Minecraft:
    honestly turning this already amazing server into it's own game would cost thousand's million's even if they ever did it would be amazing. but the idea is like sending people to mars maybe possible but is not gonna be hard and take a crap ton of time

10. Kraetys

Kraetys Hater of Catipalism - Certified Nyanarchist HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:

Jamieverse likes this.
  11. captainganon

Minecraft:
    The official twitter, I believe. Meaning it came from pretzule and was most likely asked to the devs before getting an answer. I will search for the tweet, but in the meantime, we both have no source and so Colin backing me up will have to do as proof

12. Nesaak

Nesaak Good boy HERO

Minecraft:
    Grian: "I would have no hesitation to make a standalone Wynncraft"

I know this is outdated but here is the video, they start talking about it at 15 minutes in.

SORCE:

@captainganon

NinjaPro8000 likes this.
  13. uhhsam

uhhsam Travelled Adventurer

Making wynn a whole diff game doesnt mean you have to take away the mc version? Sure funding is an issue but in the long run itd make tons of money

14. Timelapse

Timelapse Just A Test, Please Ignore

Make money at the expense of destroying a playerbase? I don't think so. The owners think rationally, moving Wynncraft into a standalone game is a very bad move.

i eat bees likes this.
  15. Giames

Giames Well-Known Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    the idea is good, but the requirements to do it are too high and probably out of reach for the actual wynncraft team !
    imagine to have wynncraft own game on steam *.*

16. captainganon

Minecraft:
    It's good in the way that pipe dreams are good. If it could magically happen perfectly, cool, but trying to do it would probably only ever end up going south.

17. Dohdo

Dohdo I'm back. Cancer in it's purest form.

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I like the idea, however, it is terribly and poorly thought out, and something anyone could have thought of.
    Making its own engine is not required, we would use Unreal or Unity which makes it easy (Aka, not complicated). Importing the code, changing it from Java to C++ and using a new library, however, is complicated.
    We could still use the current API, as it uses JSON which can be p[arsed in most programming languages.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  18. i eat bees

i eat bees i eat bees HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    DID SOMEBODY CALL ME

Geckeos and colin350 like this.
  19. Dextral Malin

Dextral Malin Friendly Wanderer VIP

Minecraft:
    It's already been said, but it would take way too much work to make Wynncraft a stand alone game. Also, consider this: can Wynncraft be expressed without Minecraft? Can the same experience be replicated outside of the Minecraft game/engine? (If people can recreate Limbo and Pokemon Red in Minecraft I'm calling it an engine :P) Consider this: you can climb anything you see, even if you weren't meant to, and it doesn't seem out of place, because Minecraft works like that. Try climbing some other mountain other mmos and you'd probably feel a bit out of place going to a place that was never meant to be explored. If you were to build Wynncraft from the ground up, would it still be the same? Would it keep a blocky aesthetic and risk being labeled as a bad Minecraft clone, or would it try to create it's own style and risk being lost in the thousands of other MMOs out there with a potentially generic aesthetic?

I feel Wynncraft would lose something if it ever left Minecraft. It is the Minecraft MMORPG after all, and I think that's how it should stay. Not because "Er mer gerd, I lurv mincraf" but because I think it's how Wynncraft was meant to be expressed.

20. RedstoneLogic

RedstoneLogic Has a neato shop haha please buy my stuff HERO

Minecraft:
    Up top o/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.