Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

What Constitutes An Entity Tracker/cave Map?

Discussion in 'Questions' started by DriftKing15, Apr 12, 2017.

?

Is JourneyMap Overpowered?

1. Yes! Never use JM in WynnCraft!

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. Well, depending on how you set it up...

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. No, not at all. JM's fine.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DriftKing15

DriftKing15 Travelled Adventurer

Minecraft:
    I currently play Minecraft using the latest Forge client (1.11.2-13.20.0.2282 as of this post) and the latest version of JourneyMap (5.4.6 as of this post). I'd be lost without JourneyMap's Waypoint system and Minimap. Since I've played Wynncraft I've rationalized my use of Journeymap as filling in the gaps that other MMORPGs (Borderlands and some Elder Scrolls titles, for example) would have (Minimap and general location of nearby mobs), but recently I was told that "Entity Trackers" and "Cave Mappers" weren't allowed in Wynncraft.

As a result I've been questioning whether the way I have JourneyMap set up is breaking the rules or not, and if JourneyMap counts as an 'entity tracker'.

I currently have JourneyMap set up to show me the location of mobs, but it only works for a limited range. To be exact, mobs within a 128 x 32 x 128 block box centered on me pop up on my minimap, an area inside which I can generally otherwise see anyway. As soon as the mobs exit that range, they no longer show up on the minimap, and the mob's altitude isn't given to me, either. As for mapping caves, I have the cave mapping distance at a low setting, so I only get maps of caves that I have actually explored. JourneyMap keeps Cave Maps and Surface Maps pretty much separate for the most part; when one's active the other one's not rendered, at least that's how I have it set up.

I'm attaching pics of the Config screen for JourneyMap that show my settings, as well as some of the tooltips explaining some of those settings. If any other settings aren't obvious to you, I'll be glad to explain them further.
    AdvancedOptions.png Cartography.png SettingTooltips.png

2. Pokextreme

Pokextreme Avos Air Archer HERO

Minecraft:
    Turn it off. It is not allowed

3. DriftKing15

Minecraft:
    I'll turn off any features of this mod that break the rules upon finding out more about this.

Pokextreme likes this.
  4. Pokextreme

Minecraft:
    No entity trackers or cave maps AT ALL. Distance is irrelevant

3: likes this.
  5. Endertricity

Endertricity Assorted Mini Quiche VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Even if it is short range, there are NO mob trackers allowed.
    I guess the cave thing should be fine, as long as it is only stuff you've been through...

Pokextreme likes this.
  6. Pokextreme

Minecraft:
    Still no cave maps...

7. DriftKing15

Minecraft:
    Which part, exactly? I'm assuming you mean the Mob Tracker but can't be sure unless you further elaborate. I'll turn off the "Show Locations of Mobs" thing.

8. Pokextreme

Minecraft:
    You can have a minimap. No entity or cave maps.

9. CookedPelvis

CookedPelvis Famous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    The official rules listed on the forums HERE state that: "1. No hacking/hacked clients.
    (ex. fly hacking, aimbotting/killaura, water walking, xray, entity tracker". It is safe to say this means no exceptions. I'm not so sure about the cave mapping, as the rules say nothing against it - try starting a conversation with Pretzule if you want closure about your mods.

P.S. thanks for the straightforward, picture-supported question - it really helps.

Pokextreme likes this.
  10. DriftKing15

Minecraft:
    Alright I've turned off the Mob Tracker bit and I'll turn down the cave reveal distance; that seems to be the best middle ground between what everyone's saying here.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about what JM settings are appropriate for Wynn. I figured pictures would help clarify exactly what JM does for those who have never heard of it.

11. Pokextreme

Minecraft:
    Cave map is bankable if its on... just turn it off

12. JuicedBananas

JuicedBananas Famous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    I know everyone has answered your questions already but:
    - Entity radar or player radar is not allowed no matter what the distance is. Just keep it turned off completely.
    - Cave map is not allowed either, the only blocks your map should show are whatever the closest block to the sky is.

13. captainganon

captainganon God of k | Derpalope VIP+

Minecraft:
    While it's not one of the examples listed in the rules, it's been confirmed previously that cave maps are also disallowed.

Better safe than sorry.

EDIT: well now it's also been confirmed in the post right above me so this post is useless now
    dammit @JuicedBananas you ninja

14. DriftKing15

Minecraft:
    Alright cave mapper's getting turned off too.

I have a random question though just for curiosity's sake while we're on that subject. If one enters a cave, and combs through every inch of it for the sake of exploration, what is the specific 'advantage' of having the ground under their feet that they're exploring mapped out as they do so, other than the obvious fact that the person knows where they've been so they don't 'double explore' a specific section of cave? I used to watch my sister play a lot of RPGs on her PS2, and often she'd literally take a pencil and paper and draw a map out of where she's been, put little Os at points of interest, put an X at places where she doesn't ever want to find herself at again, etc. How is having JourneyMap do that for you any different? Not questioning any authority here and I have indeed turned the cave mapper off, I'm just trying to clarify what 'advantage' I had before by having a program do the pencil and paper bit for me other than maybe some saved time. It's not like JourneyMap updates parts of the map that you're not near. In fact I have a section of WynnCraft that I haven't been to in a while that's shown with night lighting (Nivla Forest to be specific, and only the forest canopy is shown), and it won't fix itself unless I go back to that area during the day, just to name an example of how JM works.

What I'm trying to ask is, WHY aren't cave mappers like the one in JM allowed? Basically I don't see the 'advantage'. I could be missing something huge, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just trying to learn more about Wynncraft (And MMORPGs in general since Wynncraft's the first one I've ever gotten interested in, and this is all new ground for me).

I appreciate you all taking the time out to clarify these things for me, and I'm sure there are others out there who are asking the same questions that will feel the same way.

15. PikaLegend

PikaLegend Shocking VIP+

Minecraft:
    Here are some reasons that I might be able to point out why cave mappers aren't really allowed.

1) Secrets. They definitely do not want you to uncover secrets as you walk around the map. Even uncovering what is behind that wall could uncover something that others would definitely not seen before. Wynncraft is filled with all sort of mysteries in it, and it would be much more fun to discover it than to spoil it.

2) Cave systems. This is where it truly is at, as caves are meant to be explored thoroughly, not mapped out. Unfortunately, this also meant that places like Molten heights and Nivla forest only shows the top part of the area, so you have to just bear with that.

3) It gives you a gameplay advantage. Even though it does not affect gameplay directly, and that you need to explore the place to map out the place, you do know where things are and where things aren't. It is just simply unfair for everyone else who does not have the mod installed.

4) This type of mods can just be too easily abused by others. Sure, you might be using the mod without being too unfair about it, others might just take it a step further to make everything so much easier for themselves, so much that it becomes unfair. It is much easier to just say no to Cave mapping, than to just make a few exceptions for the few trustworthy ones. I hope you understand where this is going. We are talking about Cave Mapping as a whole, which doesn't just include your way of mapping out caves.

That's the reasons why they decided to leave Cave Mapping out from the game. It is just too easily abused, and it provides quite a significant gameplay advantage in a mystery filled game like Wynn.

funnysillyman likes this.
  16. Pokextreme

Minecraft:
  17. DriftKing15

Minecraft:
    Alright that makes sense. I was right when I said I was probably missing something huge, and I thank you for pointing that out.
    You heard it here folks, if you use JM in Wynn, turn off Cave Mapping and the Mob Tracker.

Thanks again to everyone who helped clarify this. Hopefully others will see this thread and get the same things I got out of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.