Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

Website & Forums Thread Bump Abilities

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Nerd, Mar 12, 2017.

?

Should we have an auto-bump feature enabled for thread starters to use?

1. Yes

55 vote(s)
    75.3%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    24.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nerd

Nerd The Nerdiest HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    It would be nice if users on the forums didn't constantly have to bump their threads to put them back to the top by using 10 character messages like "10charbump" all the time. Why not just let us use XenForo's "Bump Thread" ability, which simply does the same thing, just without having to always post another message? I see no harm in enabling this simple feature. You could also set time limits on it, let's say 6 hours per bump at least (or more depending on what the Administration thinks is best).

[​IMG]
    So here is how it would appear, it would simply pop up next to your Thread Tools, and you simply click it when ready to up your thread. You could always save it for later if your post is actively being posted on, but use it if it's been ignored for some time. It isn't technically "automatic" so it wouldn't spam the forums.

Give me some thoughts on this guys! Sorry for the confusion some of this may have caused.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  2. Relja_J_3

Relja_J_3 Salty Sunflower

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Make a poll so People can Support it and also bump10char

bonelesspizza, Ghalt and ThomAnn100 like this.
  3. Nepeta Leijon

Nepeta Leijon Rogue of Heart ♌ Leittarius CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    [​IMG]
    Forcing players to write a message to 'Bump' a thread keeps the newer or more worthwhile threads at the top of the lists, and allows moderators to easily punish necro-posters by seeing who posted last on an old thread. If people could simply force a thread back up to the top, necro-posting would be a much harder crime to punish as a group of people could easily bump a load of old threads to bury new ones and get away without anyone knowing they did it.

Ghalt, Stag2001, Pretzule and 4 others like this.
  4. coolname2034

coolname2034 Formerly known as NPCGrian HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    If everyone had auto bump We'd be swamped with threads. You have to put effort into your threads, and constantly bumping encourages that.

5. Nerd

Nerd The Nerdiest HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Since you don't understand the way this works, only the thread starter can actually use this on their own threads. Random people couldn't begin bumping random threads. It's an individual permission which can be given to you to bump your own threads. So necro-posting wouldn't really be an issue.
    Exactly, but why bother having to always make another message when the auto bump feature could be implemented and do the exact same thing without effecting your post count? It could also put a better limit on bumping. Right now I could technically bump a thread every 10 minutes if I wanted. If we make it where you have to use auto-bump and not make tons of posts to keep your thread at the top, it becomes more balanced and people literally have to wait out the time period given in between auto bumps.

Again, if you know a thing or two about XenForo, this isn't harmful at all.

6. orange0401

orange0401 Fortified with Vitamin C HERO

Minecraft:
    The definition of a slippery slope fallacy:
    The Slippery Slope is a fallacy in which a person asserts that some event must inevitably follow from another without any argument for the inevitability of the event in question.

Perfect.

7. Nerd

Nerd The Nerdiest HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Would the people voting no please explain why they vote that? It's nice to receive feedback rather than people saying no and having no comments.

8. Nerd

Nerd The Nerdiest HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    You realize that this feature literally just replaces the need to always say "10charbump" on a thread, right? This is technically possible already, if people actually wanted to do this. I highly doubt this would ever actually happen, so 90% of that comment was irrelevant to begin with. Plus, I only said 6 hours as a pure example.

[​IMG]
    Here's an example of what it looks like. That's it. Nothing more or less. Very very simplistic, and it isn't abused on a website with over double the discussions (177, 862 to be exact, 1,739,392 messages to be exact).

I'm part of an online market community with way more discussions than that, and this is enabled. On there, there are absolutely no issues with it. There we have a limit of bumping it once every 18 hours. @Rayne can also confirm that this works as she's part of it along with me. If you'd like to see it, PM me. Not advertising it here.

Love likes this.
  9. Nerd

Nerd The Nerdiest HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    See I understand what you mean by the fact it could potentially be abused, but so could many other things in perspective. If it were to be abused, they just remove it and try to punish individuals. Simple.
    And yeah it would encourage you to be online a bit more, which is technically good for the website and community.

I'll edit the thread a bit. Maybe that will make more sense then.

Pokextreme likes this.
  10. Woraxe

Woraxe Wynnic Dad HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    mmmmmmmmh... :confused: idk

11. Nerd

Nerd The Nerdiest HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Did you look at that part? Or did you think I meant automatic bumping?

Woraxe likes this.
  12. captainganon

captainganon God of k | Derpalope VIP+

Minecraft:
    Man I'm confused as to why people don't like this suggestion, and I'm a huge cynic myself.

There's no more effort to bumping your thread via posts than there is to bumping it with a button.

It's simple, has concrete proof that it exists and can work, and has no real downsides. Good suggestion. 7.8/10 too much unwarranted dislike.

actual reason for rating is that while it's a nice suggestion, it's not stunning or ultra-useful

Nyam and XavierEXE like this.
  13. memethyl

memethyl the king of shitposting VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    i thought this was gonna be a thread about allowing users to sage a thread or something

sage is basically replying to a thread without bumping it, if you feel like doing that for whatever reason

14. Pokextreme

Pokextreme Avos Air Archer HERO

Minecraft:
    lemme change my vote ;-;

15. Nerd

Nerd The Nerdiest HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Changed it for you.

16. orange0401

orange0401 Fortified with Vitamin C HERO

Minecraft:
    Why is this such a controversial topic? This is literally a feature that has no downsides whatsoever.

17. Love

Love Silence is Serene HERO

Minecraft:
    It's a bump button without having to flood your OWN thread with bump10char every day guys. Try understanding before going off why it "won't work" when plenty of sites you all probably go on use this feature.

18. coolname2034

coolname2034 Formerly known as NPCGrian HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    ???
    You need me to actually EXPLAIN?
    I thought it was rather obvious
    If many threads bumped without people, too many threads will be on first pages. No people able to post things without them getting pushed down.
    Got it?
    If we had this, it would be too easy to bump. You have to encourage people to open the thread, type 10 characters, and post. Not just hit a single thread and BAM your threads on top. As for it not affecting your posts, I don't think that would be good, it puts more incentive into making high quality posts
    Because lord knows we need more of those

19. Nerd

Nerd The Nerdiest HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    You're still not understanding this are you... Instead of typing "bump" it's just a button which does the same thing. How is that so hard to understand?

McMasterx and Nyam like this.
  20. Love

Love Silence is Serene HERO

Minecraft:
    It's not "without people" omfg just look at the image you have to click a BUTTON.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.