Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

Game Design New Sp System

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by BrickBuilder03, Sep 28, 2016.

?

Do you want to have the old sp system back?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. I don't care

15 vote(s)
    19.7%
  3. No

40 vote(s)
    52.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kawaii__Turtle

Kawaii__Turtle Kawaiiest of Turtles CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    What if I like the method of "walk everywhere because **** scrolls and /kill" and "how do you die"
    Potless Assassin for the win

2. Selvut283

Selvut283 Circadian rhythm stuck on Tokyo time ♪ Music Item Team GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    The system hardly punishes older players who have a better sense of when to leave towns or regenerate Soul Points, but it also lets newer players ease in better, because they get to see that they lose more items as they die more and more. Citing Sjin's short bout of Wynn, he died many times and he specifically notes that he lost items when the prompt showed up. It lets newer players know that there is a penalty for death, but also lets them make mistakes with little punishment. A few emeralds here, some rotten flesh there, maybe a couple of basic items if they ignore it further.

There have been much fewer threads of "OMG I WAS PLAYIGN WYNN AND I GOT DED A BUNCH AND NOW MY SHIT IS GONE OMFGGGGGG LEAVING FOREVER", haven't there been? Players are realizing "Okay, dying makes me lose my stuff, I need to be more careful" instead of sitting there dumbfounded when they respawn with an empty inventory. There were messages before that "Hey, if you lose all your SP you drop your items" but people never paid attention to them. Now they are.

It is also at least -helping- to dissuade people from using /kill to quick-travel to nearby towns, which was a terrible exploit in the first place.

kioph, Salted, Tantibus and 4 others like this.
  3. XavierEXE

XavierEXE ♪ Wynncraft's Composer and Ability Tree Lead ♫ ♪ Music Item Team CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    I never lost my items due to sp until this update. This is basically how it was and is for me now:
    Before: I'm at 2sp, darn it, gotta afk for a couple hours just to play again.
    After: I'm at 5sp, darn it, gotta afk for a couple hours just to play again.
    Both systems prevented me from playing, but this one sets the bar higher than before. There's no way I'm gonna play with a "chance" to lose my stuff, so all this does is limit me even more.

4. ElegantDeath

ElegantDeath Who needs a title anyways HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I'm just sitting here with popcorn waiting for Selvut to bust out that one reaction image with that red eye or whatever it is (I only saw it once)

XavierEXE likes this.
  5. Pretzule

Pretzule eats pretzels HERO

Minecraft:
    Let's stop this now, I can already tell it's going to get out of hand very fast.

6. ElegantDeath

ElegantDeath Who needs a title anyways HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    aww man I only had time to finish half my popcorn

Poiu429, Thom_Com, XavierEXE and 2 others like this.
  7. XavierEXE

XavierEXE ♪ Wynncraft's Composer and Ability Tree Lead ♫ ♪ Music Item Team CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    @modern
    Mods have future vision like you predicted?

I fail to see how this will get out of hand, it's not like we're just yelling nonsense at each other.
    Well, I might be yelling nonsense, but I always do that, and it's not turning into a flame war, and Selvut certainly isn't yelling nonsense.

8. modern

modern The irony is that I love the future

Guild:
    Future vision has always been confirmed. The real question is if this is a figurative hand or a literal hand.

You see, if it is literal, the post is already out of hand, as you cannot hold something purely digital.

XavierEXE likes this.
  9. XavierEXE

Minecraft:
    But if it's figurative, then the hand could be an analogy for something, in the case, the forums itself.

10. modern

modern The irony is that I love the future

Guild:
    Oops, typo, I meant literal.

If we are speaking of a figurative hand, then the hand is OBVIOUSLY Adam Smith's "Invisibile Hand" of the capitalist market, referenced in his work The Wealth Of Nations. In that context, the SP system is out of hand, as ebay has repeatedly stated you cannot sell your soul on eBay.

11. chaostitan

chaostitan Well-Known Adventurer VIP

Minecraft:
    I still don't understand why everyone hates this new system so much. All it did was made you wait longer and make you think before running head first by yourself into qira, it's not that bad just don't be reckless or stupid.

12. LotKnockMC

LotKnockMC S̵͚̉i̸̥͔̞̒̕͜n̷̦̹̱͒̈́̚g̶͈̳̙͇͗̾̋̾ͅë̶͔́̌͋ṙ̶̢̧̭͕ VIP+

Minecraft:
    Yeah, let me put my apocalypse, shawl of gaea, taurus, GotV and scorpio in my bank, That'll fix everything! I'm sure I don't need any frikin armor or weapons to play the game!

KabalUT, XavierEXE and BrickBuilder03 like this.
  13. Selvut283

Selvut283 Circadian rhythm stuck on Tokyo time ♪ Music Item Team GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    And you will only lose those if you die under 5 SP. At a 3% initial rate, up to a maximum of 16%. Anything else of importance can simply be stowed away.

14. Spu

Spu ✧ JUST A MEME ✧ CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Would you rather want a 100% chance at losing them under 2 SP or a 20%~ chance at losing SOME of them at under 5 SP ?
    How can somebody go below 5 SP is still amazing to me tbh, I never went under 11, even with scrolls, and resetting my builds.
    Seriously.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    Tantibus and FrozenJelly_ like this.
  15. eeveelution

eeveelution Wynn Veteran/OG VIP+

Minecraft:
    Why is this system any better than, say, a gear durability system where 0 durability = item lost? Keep the emerald and junk as it is, but make gear lose a set percentage of durability (from dying at 7 or so SP or less, maybe?) and make it cost a hefty sum of money or a very long time (e.g. up to a few days offline/12h online) to repair it (time and cost scaled by level). When durability is under 25% or dying one more time at the current amount of SP would cause them to lose the item, warn the player. Item durability would be calculated using rarity and a random multiplier from 0.7 to 1.3. Un-ID'd items could have 5x less durability and be unrepairable. A new ID could be added to lessen (or increase, if negative) the percentage of durability lost on death on all your gear.
    Here's what I'm thinking for numbers:
    [Sp left before dying] - [% Durability lost]
    7 - 5%
    6 - 10%
    5 - 15%
    4 - 20%
    3 - 25%
    2 - 35%
    1 - 40%
    These are just very rough numbers so ofc they won't be balanced.
    This system doesn't punish people based on luck and makes them able to play even longer than before as they don't risk losing an item, even if the chances of that are practically impossible. It also punishes the player in a non-absolute way which is kind of like shouting at kids to get off your lawn instead of taking out a shotgun and shooting at them, even if you probably won't hit anyone.

I might make a thread about this if I feel like it.

P.S. I think that the new system is still better than the old one in many ways, but it's not the best possible solution since it's luck based which means that many people don't want to take any chances and chose to stop playing at 5 SP. Hence my proposition which would fix that.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    LotKnockMC and XavierEXE like this.
  16. moreiron

moreiron Have Wand Will Travel VIP+

Minecraft:
    Heres a thought, what if the chance of losing an item was the same as the chance of finding it to begin with?
    It wouldn't effect most things all that much, since they drop fairly regularly. So you would lose stuff when you died. But the chance of losing a mythic would be almost negligible.
    I think 99% of the fear based complaints are that the chance of losing a mythic is so disproportionately greater than the chance of getting it to begin with. Losing a maxed legendary sucks, but a mythic it took months to find is devastating.
    Just a thought.

17. kioph

kioph ahh yes heavy melee hmm yes

You only need to AFK for 1 hour to get 3 sp.

18. XavierEXE

Minecraft:
    1 hour is a long time to be forced to spend doing nothing.

19. kioph

kioph ahh yes heavy melee hmm yes

you spend like 24/7 on the server

20. XavierEXE

Minecraft:
    that's why wasting a full hour is so painful

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.