Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

World Swarms Redesigned

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Golfbawl, May 3, 2016.

?

Give me some feedback! What do you think?

1. Great idea!

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. Good idea, but there are some things that need to be fixed...

15 vote(s)
    65.2%
  3. Nah... I don't like this (why?)

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golfbawl

Golfbawl [] CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    So, to those of you Veterans who have been playing Wynncraft since August 2014, you may remember swarms. When a group of mobs would randomly attack a city. Well, I'm here today to suggest that we add swarms again. Albeit, with lots and lots of changes.

So, to those of you who have no idea of what I'm talking about, I will recap. A swarm was a feature in the past when a group of mobs would invade a specific town, and the players would have to go to that town to be in the swarm. The players would fight off the army of zombies, and any player within the city by the time the war ended would gain lots of xp. Of course, the Content Team had this feature removed because it was lagging the crap out of everybody. Since the swarms were not hosted special worlds, all the players that were not in the swarm (but were still in the same world) would lag intensely.

What I am suggesting here is a complete redesign of this feature. My goal at this point is to suggest that we add a better, less-intensive version of these swarms.

Alright. Let's begin.

The Basics
    To start, all players on a world will receive an announcement specifying the location of the swarm, and when the swarm would occur (i.e. A swarm of mobs have been seen to be making their way to Olux. They will reach their destination in [#] Minutes). All players who are in the town by the time the countdown has ended will be teleported to a Swarm world (i.e. SWARM9). The swarm worlds are important, so the gameplay doesn't lag the crap out of everybody on say, WC1.

Mob Spawning
    Now, this is where I change the mechanics a little. All the swarms would be split into 4 waves. Each wave would contain mobs of different level ranges. Wave 1 would have mobs from levels 70-80. Wave 2 would have mobs level 80-90. Wave 3 would have mobs level 90-100. And wave 4 would be different (I'll get to that in a minute).

The mob types, however, are completely randomized. The game would select all in-game mobs (that are not bosses) in the selected level range, and would spawn them in a completely random order. For instance, the game may spawn (in wave 1) level 70 trainers from ToL, the level 75 Muffy's from close to Cinfras, or some level 75 organised bandits.

The number of mobs spawned would be determined by this formula:
    NUMBER OF PLAYERS x 100

So, if you had 50 players in a swarm...
    50 x 100 = 5000 mobs.
    1 x 100 = 100 mobs (for 1 player.)

Now, if a player dies in a wave, the number of mobs spawned in the next wave will be reduced.

Waves 1-3 will have a fixed number of mobs in which the players have to kill. Wave 4, however, is completely different. In wave 4, the mobs spawn infinitely, and range from levels 70-100. However, there will be 1 boss mob in round 4. The players must kill the boss. When they kill the boss, the swarm is over. The players are victorious. And, the mobs will stop spawning.

There would be a 30 second pause in between each wave for a player to take a break, clear his inventory, or do some other 30-second activities.

Also, note that the spawning system will be like wars. The mobs will spawn directly next to you, and they will keep spawning until all the mobs are killed.

Experience and Loot
    All experience and loot would be collected from mobs. The mobs will be the same as in regular gameplay, and have the chance to drop good loot. Inventories do not reset after a swarm (so you keep all the stuff you find, and lose all the stuff you dropped).

Aside from the usual xp gained from killing mobs, there would also be the reward for surviving through an entire wave. The xp would be calculated through this formula:
    NUMBER OF MOBS KILLED x USER LEVEL = TOTAL XP
    so... if we have a level 75 player who has killed 570 mobs, for instance...
    570 x 75 = 42,750 xp.
    0 x 1 = 0xp (for a lvl 1 who killed nothing)

The level 88 will receive 42,750 xp.

At the end of Wave 4, all the players who have survived through the entire swarm and have killed the boss would receive xp based on the following formula:
    USER LEVEL x Mobs killed in total (from all 4 waves)
    So, get a level 88 player...
    88 x 10000 = 880,000 xp.
    Lots of xp.

A few things to note:
    • Xp bonus id's will NOT modify the amount of xp received.
    • Double xp events will double the xp.

Death
    dying in a swarm remains unchanged from regular gameplay. If you die in a swarm, you lose 2SP, or you drop all your items if you have no soul points left.

Some extra details I never bothered to mention
    Oh, and there are a few extra I forgot to mention above, so I'll list them quickly.

All Players can participate in a swarm. Even though the mobs will remain a higher level, and it is not recommended that a level 11 player join a war, they are still free to do so.

SOME MAJOR CITIES will be invaded by swarms. Only higher level cities, like Cinfras, Troms, or even Nesaak/Llevigar may be invaded by a swarm.

Anyways, thank you for taking your time to read this. Please leave some feedback as to whether this is good or not. And, please let me know if I am missing some details.

~Golderr

P.S. I will design the boss mob when I get the chance.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  2. UltimateShitLord

UltimateShitLord Mhm CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I don't agree with the lv. Min of 75 personally. 100 mobs for each player? Ever been in a guild war? Adding Qira is just a bad idea and goes out of Wynn lore we have, all cities that are counted cities should get swarms. Some city's ie: Ragni would get really low level swarms.

Andy0132 likes this.
  3. Golfbawl

Golfbawl [] CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I see your point. I added the lvl 75 cap because having a player (just take level 1 as a crazy example) survive through a whole 4-wave swarm would get the final rewards. Which, 1 x 10000 = 10000xp. Meaning that the level 1 player would probably get like 25 levels.

However, maybe Qira is a little too unbalanced. I'll design a custom mob for swarms when I have more time.

Oh, and the main point of swarms is to add more endgame content. Since levels 80-100 are 95% grinding, at least you would have something more entertaining to do (on occasion).

Chocolaty_Bear likes this.
  4. Theeef

Theeef Self Proclaimed Idiot CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    Sounds like a good idea. Rather than removing a level min. Maybe move it to level 50? +1 supporter

5. UltimateShitLord

UltimateShitLord Mhm CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I should also point out swarms have been around much earlier than August 2014 that was like a month before they were removed

6. ProbablyN0t

ProbablyN0t Gelibord's Tactician

Guild:
    I understand the lvl cap, but lowering it to 60-65 might work better since there is a lot of grinding in the 60's after doing the quests available.

Or if possible, make a swarm for lower level players (call it a skirmish) and have it available in lower level cities, and have a swarm for lvl 75+ players and call it a battle

Nikolai Mael likes this.
  7. Frostburn

Frostburn Famous Adventurer

(I entirely support the bringing back of swarms, when they(The dev team) last changed it they screwed it up, I hope they bring them back)

"♣ Only players level 75 and up can participate in a swarm. Since the game currently lacks quests for the higher levels, I have decided to make it a feature for later in the game. If a player is in a town and a swarm is about to begin, they simply won't be teleported."
    Swarms should be for everyone and not just restricted to level 75s. For the final wave, I don't think having Qira in the end would be a good idea.
    XP gain during raid:
    K = Kills
    L = Players level
    XP= Experience

XP=K*L

If player survived the raid:
    fXP= Final Experience

fXP = XP *4
    The final xp is calculated this way so it won't give level ones 10,000 for doing nothing.

BuffAirSpear and The Fool like this.
  8. Brutakah

Brutakah knight main CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Maybe it should be Qira as the boss in Gavel cities and something like CoW for the province of Wynn

9. Paradoxical

Paradoxical Machina Infinitum VIP

Minecraft:
    Here, have a better idea for the boss:

So, the name depends on the province, if the city is in Wynn, it will be called the Corrupted General, while in Gavel, it will be called the Decayed General.

The boss's level will be determined by: Total level of all players in swarm/Number of players in swarm + 20

This will determine health, damage, etc.

At the beginning of wave 4, the boss will ride around on horseback, and has complete immunity to elemental damage. He delivers powerful melee attacks and uses the charge spell. When his horse phase is defeated (it doesn't have much hp), he "dismounts", now armed with a high level multi-element dagger (Same skin as Alizarin). During this phase, he doesn't move much, but hits pretty hard if approached. He spawns a pair of warrior mobs called "General's Personal Guard", and a mage mob that uses a fire wand, shooting fire charges and casting flamethrower, called "General's Personal Spellcaster". He also uses his own unique spell, "Catapult". This functions similar to meteor, in that he places a large target made of red particles on the ground under a random nearby player, and 2 seconds later a powerful projectile will fall from above and strike that spot. This version has reduced elemental defense. When this form is defeated, it spawns his "final form", the Enraged General. This form wields a multi-element spear and uses both charge and multi hit. He's fast and aggressive, but has less health and no elemental defense.

Killing his enraged form ends the swarm.

10. Golfbawl

Golfbawl [] CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    EDIT 1
    Got rid of level cap.
    Swarms will only occur in higher level locations (or that is the idea)

11. WeakCoward

WeakCoward Skilled Adventurer

Swarms in high-level cities only makes them inaccessible to players who haven't gotten to Gavel yet (like me.)
    Could swarm levels be based around average player level?

12. DirtyDoge

DirtyDoge Master Procastinator HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    How about you just take the average level for all players in a city, instead of having a set level, and let swarms start anywhere.

13. Andy0132

Andy0132 King Beneath the Mountain

Guild:
    A better solution than set levels would be to have the first wave the recommeneded level for the city, with the next several waves increasing in level according to your formula. As for the fouth wave, the mob level would be 50% more than the average level of those involved in the swarm.

14. DirtyDoge

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Wave 1: Level of city.
    Wave 2: Average of all player levels.
    Wave 3: Median of player levels
    Wave 4: Boss that is the level of the highest level player, and mobs that are average of all players.

Andy0132 and WeakCoward like this.
  15. Stycore

Stycore some random golem CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    Qira isn't a monster/mob/bad thingy

16. YYGAYMER

YYGAYMER reeeee FW FW HIC Master HERO Featured Wynncraftian

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Dark....theme....users....

ProbablyN0t likes this.
  17. flip

flip Chef HERO

Minecraft:
    RIP Dark theme users

ProbablyN0t likes this.
  18. WeakCoward

WeakCoward Skilled Adventurer

I agree.

19. ProbablyN0t

ProbablyN0t Gelibord's Tactician

Guild:
    It's a good idea, but then the outliers will be screwed. For example, 1 lvl 1, 20 lvl 46. The average will be close to the 40s, but then the level 1 will be somewhat screwed up. I know that if this idea is implemented, there won't always be tons of outliers. Having the swarm at the city's level might be better

Also, to introduce swarms better to newer players, maybe have them complete a quest with a significantly smaller swarm as the final stage. When the complete the quest, they can start participating in swarms. Right now, I don't think there's any sort of tutorial for swarms, other than a couple of tips on the WC Wiki

20. DirtyDoge

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Level 1's are screwed almost every way you think.
    Maybe have 2 swarm types, an advanced one, and a basic one.
    Basic having mobs at the level of the city.

Andy0132 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.