Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

World Current Flaws With The Skill Point "system"

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Kriotus, Dec 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kriotus

Kriotus Professional Lurker CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    Hello, as I have become somewhat obsessed with crafting the "ultimate build", I need to voice my opinion on the skill point system and how it is in some cases balanced, but in others dysfunctional.

Now, there are 5 skill point options, strength, dexterity, intelligence, defense, and agility;
    And, before I start, I need to clarify a few things: strength and dexterity are almost identical in terms of damage output, and defense and agility are almost identical in terms of damage prevented. Many people already know this, but incase you dont believe me, I'll explain:

Imagine someone is trying to hit you 100 times with a 1 damage weapon, say you have 70% damage reduction, each hit does .3, for a total of 30. If you have 70% chance for no damage, 70 will do no damage, but the other 30 will do full, for a total of 30 dmg, in the end, you take 30 dmg either way. Same thing with dexterity and strength, 100 1 damage strikes +70% is 170 damage, or if 70 do 2 damage, 70*2=140 + the other 30, 170
    Intelligence is its own beast, reducing mana costs (<3).

Now, with all this out there, ill explain why the current system is broken, and heavily favors certain classes.

In terms of effectiveness, dexterity and strength are weak compared to their defensive counterpart.
    You might ask "how is this", ill explain

the more you upgrade defense/agility, the better it becomes, the more you upgrade strength/dexterity, it stays the same.

say a certain attack does 100 damage, with 50% defense, you take 50 damage, after another %, you take 48, reducing damage taken by 2% instead of 1%, and the higher your defense already is, the more op it becomes. If you have 75% defense, and you upgrade another %, it reduces what you take by 4%, as goes for agility.
    This also applies to intelligence, as the lower the cost already is, the more effective it is

now say a certain attack you have does 100 damage, and say you have 50% strength, making the attack do 150 damage, the next percent? only 151 damage, a flat 1% increase. again with 75% damage, increasing by 1 point gets you only 1% more damage, as the ability doesnt stack with itself.

Now with defense, agility, and intelligence, this is balanced out by the % upgrade being lowered as your amount of skill points invested is higher.

However, the same applies to strength and dexterity, even though having the same 1% upgrade every skill point wouldnt improve the upgrades effectiveness.

this makes investing points into dexterity and strength a worse choice than investing in defense, intelligence, and agility. This effectively breaks the skill point system, as some upgrades will be drastically more powerful than others.

This was mostly fine before the update because having 70 defense 70 damage 8 agility/dexterity before the update was good for all classes, but now with damage types, and with certain classes tieing in with those types, it makes the game unfair for classes whose spells/weapons use the damage types earth and thunder (damage and dexterity).

Now, my suggestion is that they reverse the % decrease to an increase or just make it 1% every upgrade to make the damage skill points on par with the other options.

If you are confused or if i explained my point poorly (which I likely did), feel free to ask a question or to challenge me on my opinion

P.S. after talking about it with my friend, every damage/dexterity upgrade becomes less effective, 50% increase means 150 damage for a 100 damage attack, 51% would mean 151%, 1 extra damage out of 150 is .6% wheares upgrading defense from 50% to 51% would reduce the damage you take by 2%, over 3X the effectiveness, which gets even worse in the late game when it could be 6-7X more effective

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    Gogeta, GoldenDuck, WilsonKry and 4 others like this.
  2. Krythia

Krythia Loyal Stormtrooper

Guild:
    It's called balancing out for a reason.

3. Kriotus

Minecraft:
    except it isnt balanced....

4. Flubby

Flubby left and accidentally became leftist VIP+

Minecraft:
    You significantly ignored how weapons and armor play into this.

The reason each of the skills work alone is because the armor does different things. Agility specific armor is very fast. Intellegence armor has spell damage. Fire is high damage but reduction of spell damage and increase of cost.

You didn't look at the bigger picture, and that is why you see the elements are unbalanced.

Witcher likes this.
  5. Kriotus

Minecraft:
    //irony

Each of the skill points increasing elemental damage equally as effective, as they all do the same thing, however the skill points they tie into don't, the elements arent what are unbalanced, they just make the already existing gap between skill point choices unavoidable for certain classes

6. Francis12qwasyx

Francis12qwasyx Hacker Extraordinaire VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Now im not particularly good at maths during the holiday season but...
    50% of 100 is 50. 100 - 50 = 50
    51% of 100 is 51. 100 - 51 = 49

Dont quite see how your maths works out here

Yes, as far as statistics go they are exactly the same. However, in practice, have you ever tried running over the great bridge with archer with full defense? Easy right? Because every single hit you take is absorbed by the defense %. Now try this with max agility. You may notice that you will avoid a hit or so, but the first you actually take is more or less instant death.

Therefore, if youre going to be hit a lot - go for defense. If you plan on avoiding being hit - go for agility.

Dexterity/Strength:
    Strength will give you a very small increase of 1% per hit. In a fight where you wont be dealing hundred hits, this increase of 1% will not do much. However, the chance of dealing double damage (100% increase) on a hit - even if it is a low chance - may come in much greater use providing you hit the chance.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    bobbob9830 and Salted like this.
  7. MarkedForDeath

MarkedForDeath Finder of Kronos' Lair

Minecraft:
    Agreed, it really sucks how defense and agility increase exponentionally in effectiveness.

Ckeeperkiller924 likes this.
  8. Kriotus

Minecraft:
    and intelligence now that it reduces mana cost

agility and defense are statistically the same, and unless you are planning to get hit only once or twice (in which case it is still just as good because you can block both or the single attack) it balances out.

MarkedForDeath likes this.
  9. Francis12qwasyx

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    No... 50% of 100 is 50. 51% of 100 is 51.
    1% difference is only 1 point difference.

Also... "it balances over time" - thats my point, over time it may but it isnt about that.

10. Kriotus

Minecraft:
    since when does defense increase the damage you take?
    so if and attack does 100/50 damage (it = 2 ik but the fraction helps explain), but you have 50% defense, you take 50/50 with 51 defense, you would take 49/50, 98%, meaning you take 98% of the damage you wouldve without that extra percent, 100-98 is 2, a 2% damage reduction if you already have 50% defense, making defense increasingly good the more of it you already have

11. Alak-hul

Alak-hul Skilled Adventurer CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    Battle of the Smarts?

12. Kriotus

Minecraft:
    battle of one idiot who cant understand logic and a smart guy

13. Kahsol

Kahsol Local Serial Liker CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    battle of a rude, smart alex who cant respect others

it was clearly sarcasm or a joke, and you had to go on and ruin it by calling him an idiot and making me make this post.

Flubby likes this.
  14. FTB_player123

FTB_player123 gavel is actually here VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    So what you're saying is that we should have our skill points in intelligence, agility and defense?

15. Kriotus

Minecraft:
    im not saying that, the best way to go is probably what suits your build which includes armor, weapons, and accessories, but certain skill points arent as effective as others in terms of output

16. ashdalf

ashdalf wagoo wagoo

Alright you wanna make an ultimate build? I'll give you it: 75 str 75 dex the rest go into int and def. Make sure you choose and archer class, this way you can pull out the highest dps possible.

17. Francis12qwasyx

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Ok look.
    An attack does 100 damage.
    With 50% defense you only take half as much damage (a 50% reduction - 1/2 or 50/100). This means you take 50 damage.
    With 51% defense you take 51% less damage (51% reduction - 49/100). That means you take 49 damage.
    So every % more defense you have you get 1 damage less.

I dont see what the problem is.

Flubby likes this.
  18. Kriotus

Minecraft:
    yes its 1% but because you ALREADY reduce 50%, that 1% has double the effectiveness, whereas with strength and dexterity each % is pure and doesnt get better with each upgrade. The defense is balanced because each upgrade does slightly less, but they also put this on strength, effectively only making all upgrades a lot worse and still unbalanced.

19. Francis12qwasyx

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I still dont understand your point Kriotus. Maybe someone else can explain it to me because im not getting anywhere with your description.

20. Kriotus

Minecraft:
    you already reduce 50% damage, 50% is left, if you reduce it by another %, 49% is left, therefore you take 49/50 of what you would have taken. 49/50 = 98, 100-98 = 2, 2/100 = 2%, therefore when you already reduce damage by 50%, and you increase that by 1%, it reduces 2% damage you would have taken otherwise, however this does not work the same way with strength and dexterity, making the system unbalanced/broken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.