1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Tyranny Of Dragons [ A Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition Campaign ]

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Nice Elf Josh, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Nice Elf Josh

Nice Elf Josh Amateur Storyteller / Enthusiastic Gamer

Minecraft:
    In the world of Toril of the Forgotten Realms is a continent named Faerûn. On this continent is an area of land known as The Sword Coast, a series of mighty city-states lining the coastline of the Sea of Swords and the surrounding area. This is basically where everything important in Dungeons and Dragons happens, it's the only part of the world that matters (at least when we're talking about the Forgotten Realms). It's also the setting for this campaign.

You see, the Sword Coast is in trouble (but let's be real, it's a high fantasy setting, when is it not in trouble) thanks to the schemes of a group known as the Cult of the Dragons. The existence of the cult was public knowledge before, but back then they were simply considered a group of dragon fanatics. Now, however, their presence has increased along the Sword Coast. They've become bolder, allying themselves with the chromatic dragons they've praised to raid and loot settlements. What they want is unknown. But there is no doubt what they are doing is bad, and an increase of dragon activity in Faerûn is never a good sign. Now, more than ever, the people of Sword Coast need brave individuals to rise and become the heroes who push the Cult of the Dragons back into whatever hole they crawled out of. Will you be the heroes that face the Tyranny of Dragons?

Map
    ------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    If the map doesn't display, here's a link.

"Brief" Overview
    Tyranny of Dragons is a Dungeons and Dragons adventures that is the combination of two smaller adventures know as Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat. Additionally, it is the very first published adventure for the 5th edition of Dungeons and Dragons (technically releasing before the player handbook from my understanding). You might think this would be worthy of praise (and it is) but both HotDQ and RoT (mainly HotDQ) are infamous in the DnD community for being, how do I put this, BAD. Hoard of the Dragon Queen itself was so poorly written that it required a whole sperate errata to be playable. Fortunately, I happen to have the "definitive edition" re-release of the storyline that collects the 2 adventures into one book with a bunch of fixes and changes to make playing through Tyranny of Dragons fun and enjoyable. And besides, if something does come up that doesn't seem fair or doesn't make sense, I'll just ignore it and make something up. Improv is an important skill of any Dungeon Master. The campaign itself is about fighting an organization known as the Cult of the Dragon who want to...well, I shouldn't spoil it. But to accomplish their goal, they need to form alliances with other groups who wouldn't mind seeing the world scorched in dragon fire, build up their base(s) of operation, recruit more people, get a bunch of dragons, and collect gold and valuables from all over the Sword Coast. And it's up to you and the rest of your adventuring companions to stop them, but you don't have to do it alone. Throughout your journey, you'll meet members from Faerûn's factions, The Harpers, The Order of the Gauntlet, The Emerald Enclave, The Lord's Alliance, and even The Zhentarim. If you can get these five groups to put aside their differences and join forces against the bigger threat, taking the cult down will be easier. If you can't, a certain five-headed queen may start taking over the world. The campaign begins with you all traveling by carriage to the quiet town of Greenest...
    I'm ideally looking for a party of five players. I'll start with four if that's all I get, and I can bump up to six if someone really wants to join and I already have five people.

Character Creation
    Your player characters start at 1st level, tier 1 adventurers still wet behind the ears when it comes to this whole adventuring thing. By the end of the campaign, assuming we make it that far, your characters will be at 15th level (possibly 16th but don't hold your breath), tier 3 adventures now responsible with the protection of the Sword Coast, nay, all of Faerûn. Any races, classes, and backgrounds found in officially published Dungeons and Dragons books are fair game for use, you do not need to ask my permission to use any of those materials. If you want to use homebrew content, you'll need my permission first. This campaign is meant to be taken semi-seriously so I don't want any overpowered classes or stuff that just doesn't work in the setting. This rule also stems to any Unearthed Arcana material as well. Just cause it's homebrew written by the folks over at Wizards of the Coast doesn't change the fact that its homebrew. This is a long adventure, so not only are you free to plan into later levels but I highly suggest you make a character you are okay playing as for a long time, less you find yourself dropping out of the campaign because you no longer like playing them.
    If you are new to Dungeons and Dragons and don't know anything about it, then don't be discouraged to join. Not only will I show you how to make a character, but I'll teach you how to play the game too.
    I don't consider your character's backstory all that important/necessary. I'll accept backstories that are three pages long and I'll accept backstories that are just 2 sentences long. What's important to me is that your character has the proper motivation to go on this adventure. Remember, this adventure is about fighting dragons, fighting dragon fanatics, slaying a lot of kobolds, recovering stolen gems and valuables, and a surprising amount of diplomacy. So during the character creation process, make sure you ask why your character would want to fight the cult? Did the cult maybe wrong them in some way? Did someone tell them to join the fight? Was something important of their's stolen? Why was your character on that carriage heading to Greenest in the first place?
    If you're having a hard time answering these questions or coming up with an appropriate bond for your character, don't worry. Appendix A of the book provides various plot hooks for you to use for your character. Not only will they provide proper motivation for your character to go on their adventure, but it will make sure that they are connected, intertwined even, in the events of the Cult of the Dragon and the campaign as a whole. So feel free to use one or multiple of them.
    1. Leosin Erlanthar, a wandering monk, once saved your life. He's sent urgent word for you to meet him in a small town called Greenest. Looks like it's time to pay off that debt.
    2. When an orc raid drove your family from your home, the people of Greenest took you in. Anyone who threatens Greenest is your sworn enemy.
    3. Every five nights, you have a strange sequence of apocalyptic dreams. The world is destroyed by cold, choking fumes, lightning storms, waves of acid, and horrible fire. Each time, the dream ends with ten evil eyes glaring from the darkness. You feel a strange compulsion to travel to Greenest. Perhaps the answer to the riddle of your dreams awaits you there.
    4. Ontharr Frume, a crusading warrior and champion of good, is your friend and mentor. He has asked you to travel to Greenest in search of rumors of increasing dragon activity.
    5. You have heard rumors that you're close childhood friend, Talis, has been kidnapped by a strange group of dragon cultists. Your investigations into the cult have led you to the town of Greenest. You must save her!
    6. Being the grandchild of a renowned dragon slayer is usually a good way to impress people, but just last week a gang of ruffians attacked you. You barely escaped with your life, but as you fled, the ruffians told you the Cult of the Dragon never forgets and always avenges. You're hoping to lie low in a sleepy little town called Greenest until this blows over.
    7. On his deathbed, your father confessed that he had become involved with a group called the Cult of the Dragon. They paid him to smuggle goods across the Sword Coast. Wracked by guilt, he begged you to investigate the cult and undo the evil he may have helped foster. He urged you to begin your search in a town called Greenest.
    8. The dragons destroyed everything you hold dear. They killed your family and destroyed your home. Now, with nothing but what you carry on your back and a horrid scar of the near-fatal wounds you sustained in the attack, you seek revenge.
    9. You and your family were members of the Cult of the Dragons, until your rivals in the cult arranged to wipe you out. Though they slaughtered your kin, you survived, but they think you're dead. Now is your chance for vengeance! Your hitlist consists of three names: a human cultist named Frulam Mondath, a half-orc named Bog Luck, and a half-dragon named Rezmir. You have arrived at Greenest, knowing it is next on the cult's list of targets.
    10. You have a secret. You were once a gold dragon who served Bahamut. You were too proud and vain, to the point Bahamut decided to teach you a lesson. You have been trapped in a weak, humanoid body, with your memories of your former life but a dim shadow. You only remember only one thing with perfect clarity: Bahamut's command to go into the world and prove your devotion to the cause of good. If you prove worthy, on your death you will return to his side in your true form.
    Appendix A not only provides character bonds but also two background features you can use in place of the one you already have. Remember, you can only have one background feature, so you can only take one of these, and have to completely replace whatever your background feature was before.

• Dragon Scholar: You have studied dragons and their lore for many years. You can automatically identify locations built or used by dragons and can identify dragon eggs and scales by sight. If you fail an Intelligence check to recall lore relating to dragons, you know someone or some book you can consult for the answers unless the DM rules that the lore is unknown.
    • Cult of the Dragon Infiltrator: You have infiltrated the ranks of the Cult of the Dragon. Having spied on the organization for quite some time, you are familiar with its inner workings and customs. You have a second identity as an initiate of the cult, enough of a facade to blend in as a simple grunt or servant.

Other
    Let's see, what else do I need to say...
    Leveling in the campaign will work on the milestone rule. This means your characters will automatically level up whenever they reach certain points in the story. You don't need to worry about keeping track of exp from creatures. | Death is a present possibility. Later in the campaign, you will have access to means of resurrection, so death doesn't have to be permanent. But the important takeaway is that it is possible. | I do know all the rules for playing the game, thanks for asking. | No, you can't play as a bad guy or a legit member of the cult, that's not what this campaign is about. | That being said, you can play an evil-aligned character as long as you have a good reason for why they would work alongside the party and against the Cult of the Dragon. Many of the Zhentarim agents you'll meet are of the evil alignment so consider them your inspiration. | Don't fake your dice rolls. Failing us fun. | Please don't read through the module yourself (the module meaning the book). This will give you information you're not supposed to have, which will lead to meta-gaming. If you already know what happens in Tyranny of Dragons, just remember that your character probably doesn't. | There isn't a lot of traveling in this adventure, and when it does come up food and supplies are usually taken care of for you, but I will be keeping track of rations. I know you'll start off with about 10 of those things, and I know they'll run out at some point, and I'll let you know when it's about to happen. As for water, I'll assume that at the minimum you're finding yourself a nice stream or pond to drink from. Unless you're in a situation where access to water is either difficult or impossible, I won't bring it up. | Share the spotlight with the other players. Remember, this is everyone's story. | Make sibling characters. Or characters that are just related in some way. I feel like D&D needs more of it and everyone is always so focused on making some sort of loner character instead. | Don't make an edgy loner character. That kinda person isn't gonna want to work in a party, and a party of adventurers wouldn't want to work with them. | The Battle Map can be found here. Even if there isn't a battle, it'll display a map of you're current location. | As always, have fun.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019 at 1:09 PM
  2. bluepenguin1002

bluepenguin1002 Waddling penguin

Minecraft:

I'll join but if newbies or other people want a spot feel free to cut me

3. Tsuruga

Tsuruga Smile, you're not alone.

Huge wall of text ono.
    Save me a spot for now, I'll read into it more when I wake up.
    How many players are you looking for?

4. Acceleration

Acceleration GERMAN ASSAULT OF STEEL

Minecraft:
    save a spot for me even tho I will confused most of the time until maybe until early mid game when I understand at least most of the styff

5. H0Y0Y0Y0Y0Y0B0Y

H0Y0Y0Y0Y0Y0B0Y A H0Y0Y0Y0Y0B0Y IMPROVED

Minecraft:
    Very cool, save spot 4 me

6. Florfy5

Florfy5 That guy. You know, him.

Minecraft:
    I might join, but if someone else wants in I'll surrender my spot.

7. Nice Elf Josh

Minecraft:
    So that's 3 people asking for a spot saved, and 2 additional people who want to join but will give up their spot to someone else that wants to play.

As things stand, we already have a potentially full party of 5.

8. BlueSlimerino

BlueSlimerino Well-Known Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    Any chance that i could join as the 6th?

9. Nice Elf Josh

Minecraft:
    i don't want to have the 6th conversation yet
    We have 2 people still on the fence, so just wait a bit.

10. Tsuruga

Well I'm extra blind.
    Lock a slot for me, I'm in.

11. Acceleration

Minecraft:
    Watch me be the first one to try and break a towns economy

Nice Elf Josh likes this.
  12. Tsuruga

Challenge Accepted

13. Acceleration

Minecraft:
    but can you make them only serve pizza as the only food in the area after you break the economy like reggie?

14. Nice Elf Josh

Minecraft:
  15. bluepenguin1002

bluepenguin1002 Waddling penguin

Minecraft:
  16. Nice Elf Josh

Minecraft:
    Well that makes 5. We're ready to start. Or at least start a Session Zero of character creation.

@H0Y0Y0Y0Y0Y0B0Y
    @TakeAGuess
    @Tsuruga
    @BlueSlimerino
    and bluepenguin (who'll automatically be notified because of the qoute), any of you need assistance with making a character.

17. Acceleration

Minecraft:
    Yes

18. Nice Elf Josh

Minecraft:
    Alright, let's take this into a conversation.

19. Tsuruga

Things to get out of the way.
    -----
    > Roll for stats, point buy or standard array?
    > Starting gold and magic items?
    > What's the two most common languages after common?
    > Are the UA expanded class features being used? (Or is that case by case basis)

20. BlueSlimerino

BlueSlimerino Well-Known Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    I doubt that we'll have magic items at lvl 1