Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Tool SHOUTBOX SHOUTBOX SHOUTBOX SHOUTBOX SHOUTBOX SHOUTBOX SHOUTBOX SHOUTBOX SHOUTBOX SHOUTBOX SHOUTBOX

Discussion in 'Your Work' started by 3:, Apr 8, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3:

3: farlands pumpkin farlands pumpkin HERO

Minecraft:
    4 years ago, a beloved family member was murdered. Shot, stabbed and burned out of this world. That family member was shoutbox. For 4 years we've been asking, BEGGING for it to be readded, to no avail. Until today.

Yea, I remade shoutbox as a fully functional browser extension over a joke. It'll magically appear on the site as if it was never gone when installed.
    [​IMG]
    It was ME. I DID IT. It's MY fault shoutbox was deleted 4 years ago. Or that's what I've been telling myself for these past years.

Picture this. It's a cool evening in late 2018. I'm playing wynncraft when I notice something peculiar; There's lag, but only when I have the front page of the forums open. Seems illogical, but switching to any other page fixes said lag. I mention it in an offtopic CT chat, not thinking much of it, and move on. Shortly afterwards, Colin takes a strange interest in what I posted. We talk for a bit, and everything goes quiet. A month or two pass by, and... The shoutbox is removed. Gone for good, replaced with the community section. A cool way of engaging the community for sure, but at what cost...

I'm not one to believe in conspiracy theories, but I've had this stuck in my mind for 4 years. Was it just coincidence and I'm overthinking it? Or was there something more...

And that's not all...

...for dear reader, I'm guilty of even more heinous acts. For the one who got Moss banned was ME. The short story is, that something funny happened, I went around telling people to "look at this funny thing that happened" like the fool I was, garnering attention for something more sinister... for the moderators were present as well, and they did not like what they saw. This was the last straw on Moss' fate.
    [​IMG]

Consider this thread as payment for inflicting years of misery on a community.

Features:
    (It's just as pointless as the real deal, but at least it exists)
    The usual shoutbox features:
    -Send and receive messages in real time, right on the forums
    -Compatible with any theme, even custom ones *cough*
    -Automatic connecting and reconnecting
    -All communication happens over secure protocols
    -The same extension is compatible with Firefox, Chrome and other Chromium based browsers like edge (for now)

NEW FEATURES (Configure options by clicking the shoutbox title):
    -Customizable size and position on the sidebar
    -Option to turn off community section, just like old times
    -Usable even as an accountless guest (welcome moss)
    -Multiple types of timestamps
    -Filter for the naughtiest of words, similar to the one in-game (Don't test this)
    ->Greentext (optional)

old video, but gets the point across (it's shoutbox)
    [​IMG]

What is not included:
    -Since this is an unofficial addon, I can't verify that messages come from authentic users, nor do I want to introduce shady security risks by tampering with tokens. Hence, you shouldn't trust that a message has actually been sent from a specific account. For the same reason, you can't delete messages. Not even your own. Don't post anything that you'll regret. If you do, your best bet is to annihilate my DMs.

-While they're supported, rank colors aren't visible in chat. Yet.

Disclaimers:
    -This extension cannot perform any forum activities as you. Its abilities reside purely within the shoutbox.

-This extension doesn't utilize any website scraping or similar bot-like automated behaviour. Rest assured, it shouldn't have any negative impact on the website.

-As this is running on the cheapest server known to man and the code was written in a few days, I can't guarantee 100% uptime or a bug free experience. Use at your own risk. Post on this thread or shoot me a DM if there are issues.

-If you discover bugs, have suggestions, or improved the code of the extension, feel free to post those on this thread as well, or DM me.

-I'm aware that code structure is ASS in every conceivable way. I'm not a javascript programmer, I drunkenly hacked this together in a few days, and I do not care.

-There will be another day when shoutbox dies and doesn't come back online...

-This extension sends your mother's phone number directly to me. You cannot opt out, and I WILL be taking her on a lovely date.

FAQ:
    Q: Is this safe?
    A: No clue. Very confidence inducing, I know, but I'm just a basement dweller with a keyboard, not a professional. You be the judge:
    -The extension is fully open source at https://github.com/Aaronti/shoutbox for you to cringe at.
    -The server should discard anything that's not a message, sanitize messages and only send valid data to users.
    -All communication is done over secure protocol.
    -There is a filter against discrimination and the naughtiest of words, similar to what you can find in-game. Wynn's rules technically apply, so swearing is fine for example. There are no punishments, but like I already said before, don't test the filter.
    -No user data is collected, and your messages are only saved temporarily, in case of a server crash.
    If you notice any suspicious activity, disable the plugin immediately and contact me.
    -From experience, you should always assume that the extension is not safe, no matter how safe it might appear, and no matter how many measures are taken for security. The last thing I want on my conscience is that someone gets hacked because of an exploit that I missed. Proceed with your own caution.

Q: It just says "Connecting to shoutbox..."
    A: If the extension can't connect to the server, it should try again after a short while. You can speed the process up by refreshing the page. If it's still connecting but you've been able to connect before, the server could be having issues. It does restart upon crashing, but that doesn't help if there was a non-fatal error or if it's just being slow. If that happens, spam my inbox and call me gay. If you're on a really old system/browser, make sure that you're connected to the forums with https instead of http, since the server only accepts secure connections.

Q: I improved your shitty code.
    A: Cool. Can I steal it?

Q: I have a suggestion/question.
    A: Post it on this thread.

Q: BUG
    A: You can report those on this thread, my DMs or at the project's GitHub issues section.

Downloads:
    Firefox:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/shoutbox/ (woo automatic updates)

Chrome, edge and other chromium based browsers:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/shoutbox/fcagicbpncmdecdpaamojfdjfendkkec
    OR
    https://github.com/Aaronti/shoutbox ("Code" button > Download as ZIP)
    Refer to the installation section, in case you're having trouble with installing.

Installation:
    1. Download the extension at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/shoutbox/. That's it.

Alternatively, you can download the source code at https://github.com/Aaronti/shoutbox and load it as a temporary extension, but it'll be gone the next time you open the browser.
    I initially made the extension for firefox, but it turns out that the exact same code works on chrome as well.

For the webstore version, just click "add to chrome". For manual install from github:
    1. Download the extension (.zip) at https://github.com/Aaronti/shoutbox/releases/latest
    2. Extract the zip you just downloaded
    3. Go to chrome://extensions (automatically redirects you to edge://extensions on Edge)
    4. Turn on "Developer Mode" to allow adding extensions manually (top right corner on chrome, left tab on edge).
    5.Click "Load Unpacked" (top left corner in chrome, left tab in edge) and select the extension folder.
    Some Chromium based browsers, such as Kiwi browser, support desktop extensions natively. I'm glad to announce that shoutbox is compatible with them.

Method 1: Webstore
    Go to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/shoutbox/fcagicbpncmdecdpaamojfdjfendkkec and click on whichever button says to add it to your browser

Method 2: Manual
    1. Download the extension (.zip) at https://github.com/Aaronti/shoutbox/releases/latest
    2. Open your quick menu (3-dot icon next to URL bar), and open "Extensions".
    3. Turn on "Developer mode" to allow adding extensions manually (top right corner).
    4. Click the button that says "+ (from .zip/.crx/.user.js)", and select the file you downloaded.

Version history
    1.5:
    -Fixed an issue with message history being fetched twice upon connection.
    -Added version number visible at the bottom of options
    -I found a way to retrieve new threads without being fucked by cloudflare, so added proper support for displaying newly posted threads. It's also toggleable in options.
    -Shoutbox size is now configurable
    -Added optional greentext highlighting
    -Added clientside support for name colors
    -Added an option for multiple timestam styles
    -Added a debug option to display message IDs

1.4:
    -Full port to manifest 3.
    -Submitted to the chrome extension store but that's still pending.

1.3:
    -Added debug toggle to change between public and local servers. Won't have much use for the end user unless developing your own branch, but makes sure that I don't upload another broken version.

1.2:
    -Firefox extension is now on the addons webstore, allowing for automatic updates
    -Fixed users appearing as guests on non-"starry night" themes
    -Added option to configure message history length
    -Added option to clear messages beyond this limit
    -Restructured how client asks server for data

1.1:
    Firefox extension is now validated, and can be installed permanently

1.0:
    Initial release

Current bugs:
    -Older versions will see "undefined" when receiving a message about a new thread

feeling a little déjà vu...
    [​IMG]
    @Moss @Moss @Moss @Moss @Moss miss u
    shitpost over, thank u for reading

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
  2. Endistic

Endistic Acolyte Enjoyer HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Remove "Shoutbox"?

[Remove] [Cancel]

3. 3:

Minecraft:
    SHOUTBOX would like to fight you.
    [ATK] [DEF] [RUN]

Elysium_, Six, Castti and 2 others like this.
  4. Endistic

Endistic Acolyte Enjoyer HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    [DEF]

5. ThedumbOX

ThedumbOX I swear I’m straight HERO

Minecraft:
    shoutbox shoutbox shoutbox

3: likes this.
  6. Olinus10

Olinus10 Wynntuber, Quest Guider & Let's Player Media CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    i needs for firefox

7. 3:

Minecraft:
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
    Castti and Olinus10 like this.
  8. luckeyLuuk

luckeyLuuk Well-Known Adventurer

Minecraft:
    if you experience this:
    upload_2023-4-10_23-3-41.png
    and feel like this: upload_2023-4-10_23-4-19.png
    then try this:
    1. download .zip from git
    2. extract .zip
    3. click "Load unpacked" in extensions tab
    4. select extracted .zip
    5. feel like this: upload_2023-4-10_23-9-58.png

Happy New Year likes this.
  9. Castti

Castti Kookie HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
  10. 3:

Minecraft:
    Some people have been having issues with the crx version, so you can instead download the project and add that as an extension. Could be a security issue because the extension is unsigned, but as far as I can tell, signing a chrome extension costs 5 bucks, so I'm a bit hesitant to do that for what is effectively a shitpost.

Updated the thread's instructions for chrome and added a section for ongoing bugs.

luckeyLuuk and Castti like this.
  11. Linnyflower

Linnyflower ironman btw Item Team HICH Master CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    no fucking way

12. SlyamPoetry

SlyamPoetry dedicated pikotaro fan!!!!! CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    LETS GO AARON TTI !!!! !!!!!!! !!!!!

13. Lex!

Lex! :] CT Manager QA GM CMD CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    wtf

14. luckeyLuuk

luckeyLuuk Well-Known Adventurer

Minecraft:
    Try this:

Castti likes this.
  15. 3:

Minecraft:
    UPDATE 1.3
    -The firefox extension is now on the addons webstore, allowing for automatic updates: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/shoutbox/
    -Fixed users appearing as guests on non-"starry night" themes
    -Added option to configure message history length, from 25 all the way to 200
    -Added option to clear messages beyond this limit
    -Added a debug toggle for local/public server so I don't upload a version that doesn't work again (*cough* 1.2)

ThedumbOX and Castti like this.
  16. 3:

Minecraft:
    HUGE update time

UPDATE 1.4
    -Full port to to the new manifest v3. This means that there's no more worry about google dropping support in the upcoming months. Some things have changed with it, but older versions will still be supported by the server. This change also means that the extension is eligible to upload to the chrome webstore (rip 5$) for autoupdates, which has been pending for the last ~~2~~ ~~3~~ 4 days. For a moment I thought it'd be a good idea to notify people that their extension is outdated within the shoutbox. Then I realized that it's annoying as fuck, and I should just suck it up and add legacy compatibility

UPDATE 1.5
    -Added clientside support for displaying newly posted threads, since I found a safe way to retrieve new threads from the forums. It's also toggleable in options.
    -Added an alternative timestamp style based on an old screenshot I found, with different position and format
    -Added clientside support for name colors. Unimplemented on server side as of now
    -Added version number visible at the bottom of options
    -Added greentext with ">" because I was feeling a bit silly. Also toggleable in options
    -Added a debug option to display message IDs
    -Added option to configure shoutbox size
    And probably more that I'm forgetting

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chrome users: https://github.com/Aaronti/shoutbox/releases/
    -Webstore version is still pending. To update, delete the current version and install the new one according to the installation section.

Firefox users: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/shoutbox/
    -The update is published to the webstore, and should update automatically when your browser wants to
    -You can speed it up by going to about:addons > Manage shoutbox (3 dots icon) > Gear icon in top right > Check for updates
    -Your browser should be up to date for the extension to work (updated in the last ~4 months) because of manifest v3 support

thank u bloww for bombing the cloudflare headquarters
    (no, i just found a harmless way of reading the forums' rss feed)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
  17. TalkingKittyCat

TalkingKittyCat Shoutbox VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    THANK YOU I LOVE IT

Endistic likes this.
  18. Happy New Year

Happy New Year Please bring the shoutbox back VIP+

Minecraft:
    come use the shoutbox guys

19. bloww