Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Question About Copyright Infringement On An Adventure Map

Discussion in 'Questions' started by captanredbeard, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captanredbeard

captanredbeard Well-Known Adventurer

Minecraft:
    I am considering possibly making an adventure map related to the wynncraft world and I would like to imitate certain parts of the server but don't want to cause trouble with accidentally infringing on the copyright.

the map would be in the normal minecraft world save format and therefore players would be able to access virtually the entirety of the contents of the Minecraft map.

I would like to know what I am allowed to use in the list below, and what attribution I should give to the server for it.

Unless stated otherwise I will attribute the item as part of the wynncraft server and give credit to the author if there is one

1. usage of the wynncraft server resource pack and the textures and sounds contained within it

2. usage of audio and music on the server (will be attributed as stated on the wiki)

3. usage of certain names, characters, lore and locations, town names and locations, and class type names
    use of names and characters such as Marius Twain, Old Man Martin, the Olm people, Ragni town, Almuj Desert, mage class.

4. usage of the elemental magic system, the crystal magic theory, and lore contained on the server.

5. usage of style of building and landscape on the server.

places will be built to look similar to but not exactly copy to terrain on the server. (pigman ravines would be built with a similar maze layout and the same blocks but the terrain and block placement will not be exactly the same as on the server.

6. usage of a spell system similar to wynncraft's (if this is possible without server-side mods)
    for example warrior class would have the following spells

R-L-R bash
    damages surrounding mobs (possibly just explosion)

R-R-R charge
    causes player to run forward (instead of flying) and damage mobs within the player's path

R-L-L thrust

player preforms a jabbing motion which damages mobs directly in front of player and causes knockback.

the activation system might be the same, different, or non existent depending on the complexity of how hard the spell system is to program.
    If any of the uses of the content stated above is not allowed to be reproduced in an adventure map, I would like to know so as to omit using it in the map.

I can allow a staff member to review the map before it is released to the public, if this is necessary.

I want to give proper credit to the wynncraft content team and not cause and legal trouble while still making an adventure map which functions similarly enough to the wynncraft server to make the map seem as if in the same fictional world of wynn.

2. fishcute

fishcute fish CHAMPION Builder

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    DISCLAIMER: On any of the points that I say "probably fine", you should get feedback from an actual mod.
    1. The resource pack probably isn't something you can use, but I'm not someone who has a say on that
    2. The music is licensed so that if you give credit, its ok to use. I will ask you though, how are you thinking of getting the nbs files?
    3. You are better off making your own characters and towns, but its probably fine. Fan fiction is usually considered fine, you just want to expand on things, and add your own lore
    4. The elemental damage system is probably fine to use.
    5. If you aren't outright copying the builds, its fine to use the style. I wouldn't suggest giving it the same layout, and you should add your own areas
    6. If you code it yourself, presumably in mcfunction files, or command blocks, then its perfectly fine. I'd suggest changing the names if possible, but things like heal and bash are such common names that you really don't need to

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  3. captanredbeard

captanredbeard Well-Known Adventurer

Minecraft:
    thanks for the input. I am hoping that a moderator can give some more clarification to this so I know what I am allowed to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.