Discussion in 'Guilds' started by birdiefly209, Sep 6, 2018.
Thanj you for enlightening us <3. Bump<3
Ay morr, vin sit, om nia
Also, I missed it last time, but I just realized that the A in omnia is pronounced more like omniar. You can tell this because there is a little line above the a that isn't written, which makes it sound like -ar instead of if there wasn't a little line not written there, when it would be pronounced -a. Latin pronunciation
Interestingly, the phrase has been used in mottos and sayings for thousands of years. The first record of its use was by Virgil in ~40BCE, in a poem entitled Eclogue X of the Eclogues - a series of 10 pastoral poems, from what I gather written on the topic of songs sung by herdsmen and shepherds, about the beauty of nature, the topic of love, and the fires of revolution. Therefore, from the very beginning, the line was used to spark rebellion in the people, unhappy about the current political scenario in the Roman Empire. Defying expectations, and fighting to stop oppression were significant themes in contemporary poetry and also expanded out into other art forms. The visionary politics held within these poems were a major factor of what made Virgil so influential and famous even within his own lifetime.
The first recorded use of Amor Vincit Omnia is found in a painting by the Baroque Italian artist Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio. The piece has two names - Victorious Cupid (Amor Vincit Omnia). Cupid - the Roman counterpart of the Greek God Eros (from which we get the root for words like erotic) - was the God of love in all its varieties. The painting is, shall I say, of a disturbing nature - created in a time when that sort of image was a little more...acceptable? It shows a young cupid, in a rather awkward and exposing position brandishing the bow of a violin, which can be seen laying at his feet. Also at his feet are a try square for measuring straight lines, an open book of sheet music, and discarded pieces of metallic armour. Atop all of these lays a laurel wreath - a Roman symbol of triumph, showing that Cupid had conquered art, science and combat using love. Rather fittingly for a guild that has based itself on the imagery of birds coming from our great leader, Cupid is pictured with wings inherited from his father Mercury, the messenger of the Gods and counterpart of Hermes. His mischievous, fun-loving nature is shown with his precarious position and playful nature - reflected in our guild's casual and cheerful attitude when striving for greatness.
Whichever order you rearrange the phrase into (any of the six possibilities), it retains its meaning and symbolism, and throughout the ages, it has been used countless times for a vast variety of purposes. The interpretation of the phrase, the poem, and the picture are all completely subjective, so please do not take my perspective as fact - do your own research and decide for yourself what it all means to you personally
1. What is your username? kriscraft26
2. What is your Discord username? (Ex. birdiefly209#0987) Kris#4795
3. How old are you? (Optional) 16
4. What level is your highest level class? 105
5. What is your time zone? EST
6. How often and for how long do you usually play on Wynncraft? 2-3 hours
7. Have you been in a guild before? If so, please specify the name(s). PUN, Hax
8. Why do you want to join Avicia? To raid, war, and have fun :D
9. What could you contribute to Avicia? Warring
10. How did you find our guild? When I was in Hax Panda introduced me to people
11. Is there anything else you would like us to know? (Optional)
I like cakes :D
Hello all, friendly bump o/
I am pleased to inform you that your application to Avicia has been accepted! A message has been sent to you with further information on how to join, please check your inbox as soon as possible. We look forward to seeing you in the guild!
Join AVO or bad >:(
we got whispers (a lot)
1. What is your username? - Taki
2. What is your Discord username? (Ex. birdiefly209#0987) - kai#9001
3. How old are you? (Optional)
4. What level is your highest level class? - 70 at the moment :(
5. What is your time zone? - GMT +8
6. How often and for how long do you usually play on Wynncraft? - at least 10 hours a week I would say
7. Have you been in a guild before? If so, please specify the name(s). - nope..
8. Why do you want to join Avicia? - I just started Wynncraft, and I kind of want a guild to interact socially with and make friends, learn the game! haha
9. What could you contribute to Avicia? - In whatever way I could possibly offer!
10. How did you find our guild? - Through forums
11. Is there anything else you would like us to know? (Optional) - im kind of new to the game, so please go easy on me T_T
Doesn't have to do anything with the application (not high ranked enough to handle these) but one question,
Do you play
I have never seen that game before loool
this man fina be hung2.0
hey, you guys got discord or ts? :o
Discord, ThEpicFerret#0994 i can invite you
bump! bump! bump!