1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...
Dismiss Notice
Have some great ideas for Wynncraft? Join the official CT (content team) and help us make quests, builds, cinematics and much more!

I Think Its Hight Time Mage Got A Buff.

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Flopwa, May 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flopwa

Flopwa Travelled Adventurer

Minecraft:
    Mage is currently kind of garbage. Compare the left click dps of mage weapons to the average dps of all the other classes. Its abysmal. And what in return? Like nothing. Here are the 2 most common points I see against a mage buff. 1, You get a ranged mage beam. If I may point your attention to shaman, that class has 3 MAGE BEAMS as its left click and its damage is comparable to others like archer, warrior, and assassin (yes the each beam is 33% of the main attack but I that still sets its (damage/beam) near mage. 2, mEtEoR DoEs A lOt Of DaMaGe. Yes, it does, but spells are limited by mana and ho boy do you use a lot of mana as mage. in comparison, a single aura from shaman deals more than 4x damage of a normal hit, while meteor pails in comparison to that.
    SO WHAT CAN WE DO TO FIX THIS?
    I think its pretty easy, just buff the mouse1 damage of most mage weapons. Thats all. Please.

Yraw likes this.
  2. SuperPiggeh

SuperPiggeh aaaaaaaaaaaa CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Mage is literally the most powerful class there is... it doesnt need to be changed, but if it did, it would need a nerf, not a buff. Playing mage is like playing wynncraft on easy mode

Your argument that its main attack damage is low? THATS THE POINT. Its supposed to be a spell-based class.

I think you just need a better mage build lmao

3. Mollyy

Mollyy Gacha Fanatic and Galaxy Devourer HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Mage actually uses the 2nd least mana to spell cycle only beaten by Shaman IIRC

Melee mage totally exists what are you talking about, there is no "spell based class" or "melee based class," melee and spell are just playstyles you can use with any class?

Mage has a better heal and higher base defense, shaman gets killed by a feather. There's ups and downs to each, don't just look at the 3rd spell.

4. Bixlo

Bixlo Got drip like pablo VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    mage is honestly one of thee strongest there is. Assassin can beat it for solo dps and archer for base dps. However mage is a walking clinic. they can keep everyone alive for free. The dps on meteor is made to be lower since they have heal which is the single most op spell to exist without question. Sorry but I dont agree with your idea at all

strikeflame5356 likes this.
  5. MatForYoga888

MatForYoga888 High Gavellian Transcriber

Minecraft:
    lvl 95

6. Samsam101

Samsam101 These shitposts are Pissing me off. CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Mage is supposed to be a healer, not DPS. The heal spell is the best spell in the game, able to instantly heal you and your allies, and the wand King of Hearts makes it even better. Even with its poor DPS, it can kill the strongest bosses solo, though it takes some time

It doesn't need a buff, and this is coming from a mage main.

7. Snowballtheanvil

Snowballtheanvil Travelled Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    Mage main here, if you’re having issues with mage I’d suggest getting a mana regen build, then learning spell cycles. If you trying to do any spell repeatedly do 2-4 of that spell (depends on your mana regen and Intelligence) then the next cheapest spell(usually ice snake).

Epicness937 likes this.
  8. oculism

oculism penguin gang QA Modeler HERO GM

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    mage is easily one of the strongest classes in the entire game; no question.

It doesn’t need a buff lmao

9. Bixlo

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    ok good cuz i was abt to say...

10. Aya

Aya Very Serious Gensokyo Journalist HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    You forgot that in exchange for not so many damage options, they get by far the best healing method in the game, a spell soo good at what it does that it has had to be rebalanced MANY times.

Honestly, mage is fine as it is and I would go as far as saying it is the best class in the game, the healing spell alone more than makes up for everything else the class might lack, and even then the DPS is absolutely fine, I never had damage issues when playing mage.

11. fishcute

fishcute fish VIP

Minecraft:
    mage does 600% per second. shaman does 400% every few seconds, or 200% multiple times a second if you spam aura in a certain way. In reality you should be talking about nighthawk archer, which can easily do 800% dps and archer does a bit more raw dps than shaman anyways. However, I'm pretty sure there's other considerations in archer that makes nighthawk archer not that good, but that's just from me looking at what other people are saying, along with olily's existence, not raw numbers.

12. Toaster

Toaster He/Him CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    The only "buffs" mage needs are non-entropy major IDs (fuck you, flashfreeze) and better melee weapon pool (given that the only two melee weapons with good dps are gaia (barely) and singu, which is great for spell as well). Its dps is understandable given that it has the objectively best spell in the game. If anything else, I could see some QoL changes to teleport so I don't have to see "yOu cAnNoT tElEpOrT hErE, MoVe AwAy fRoM bLoCkS" 30 times

FAZu, Aya, starx280 and 9 others like this.
  13. Melkor

Melkor The dark enemy of the world HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    The second largest AoE melee which unlike shaman doesn't require close range for max damage, some of the highest damage spells, incredibly easy and effective spell combos and infinite heals. Those are some pretty good bonuses if you ask me.

99loulou999 and DogeTennant like this.
  14. SuperPiggeh

SuperPiggeh aaaaaaaaaaaa CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Well you're right that melee mage is possible but what I meant was that each class obviously has their strengths and weaknesses, and mage's spells are its strength, while melee is its weakness. There are literally 3 (two if you think compiler sucks) mage weapons that are viable in endgame melee mage builds, while the rest are obviously intended to be used with spells. I personally LOVE melee mage don't get me wrong, I have a real nice gaia build thats super fun to use but I still think that the massive lack of mage weapons that can be used in a melee build kinda makes it seem like the devs intended for it to be a spell based class.

Also my other reason for thinking that is its literally called MAGE and mage literally means someone who casts spells and shit so the name makes it seem like a spell-based class, ya know?

YJMinecraft and Bixlo like this.
  15. 5hadowflame

5hadowflame untrained unprofessional idiot VIP+

Minecraft:
    Me when the singu tstack/event horizon cancelstack.
    Mans talking about buffing mage and he doesn’t even mention heal spell. Mage without heal is like assassin without vanish or archer without range. It is the central part of mage. Shaman may have totem heal tics, but it is absolutely trash in a solo fight, speaking from experience. Also shaman melee sucks, period. First of all, getting in close range on the glassiest class in the game just to do full damage is bad. Literally nobody uses shaman’s ranged capability because its so trash. On top of that, there is a bug with attack speeds that makes shaman’s and archer’s superfast attack speed quite a bit slower, severely throttling their melee dps. Then you have mage’s melee, arguably the best melee in the game, as it is an instantaneous ranged melee that goes in a straight line and does full damage. No other class has this.
    One more thing, once you get to lvl 100+ and put on a full fledged build that has accounted for spellcost and everything else, you will never run out of mana. Cycling correctly with one cost spells, which (almost) every build must have, you only need 5 mana regen to upkeep it. Even at lower levels, if you invest your skill points into intelligence, which is the best because mage is a spell centered class, you will be able to sustain yourself through a playthrough with just morph.

Toaster likes this.
  16. Hobbes_

Hobbes_ Legendary Adventurer

Minecraft:
    No
    Mage is the lowest base DMG class, intentionally
    RLR
    To get the full effect of the Shaman main attack you need to get upclose to enemies, which is very dangerous on the lowest base defense class, as opposed to mage which can deal its full effect from any range (as long as you can hit it) along with with an actual AoE, as opposed to archer (2nd lowest base defense btw). This also outclasses Assassin and Warrior, who each have no range whatsoever.
    You really don't. Mage has the 2nd cheapest total spell costs combined behind Shaman.
    Im pretty sure Meteor has higher dmg multiplier than aura (although i could be wrong)
    No

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  17. SlyamPoetry

SlyamPoetry dedicated pikotaro fan!!!!! CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    consider the following:
    not everything gets its performance judged purely on the damage it does.

also consider the following:
    mage beam is INSTANT. it hits EVERYTHING it touches. It reaches further than warrior and assassin. No it should not get a damage buff it already has enough compensation going for it

if you think mage uses a lot of mana you are spell cycling very wrong. RRL -> RLL is one of the lowest mana requiring spell cycles due to meteor's travel time, making mage one of the easiest classes to maintain.

heal. not carrying pots is a bigger deal than you would think

18. Bixlo

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    as a person that went from an assassin main to a mage main because of HP pots, i wanna tell yall how that is thee most underrated comment. HP pots take up 50% of your invintory. Try multi-questing with HP pots, 3 weapons, a horse, tp scrolls, proff stuff. etc

19. strikeflame5356

strikeflame5356 #1 Death fan

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    If there's any class this argument can be made for, it's Warrior. Unlike Mage Warrior doesn't have a healing spell unless you get one of the two items in game that gives it one, one of which is low-level and the other of which is a weapon that locks you into EWF. And unlike Mage, Warrior has no insane spell multipliers like Meteor does to compensate for the abysmal base damages on most spears. Warrior fails at survivability, support, AND damage when compered to Mage, and there's just no reason for Warrior to have such low base damages on it's weapons. Have a bit more defense doesn't really do anything when you can't heal your health back effectively, and Life Steal isn't a solution since Warrior gets shredded if it goes anywhere near a mob thanks to the fact that A: it has no range/way to stun mobs/vanish, and B: Has abysmally low base damages that force it's builds to be incredibly glassy just to get to the damage that a decent build on another class would have.

Also where'd you hear that Aura's damage is better than mage? Aura has (I think) something like a 200% spell multiplier, Meteor has over 300% from what I remember. At level 100 between Mage and Shaman Mage is easily the better class.

I will say, Mage in the early game is easily the worst class. Up until lv 21 it doesn't have a single spell that does damage, meaning it has to kill everything with it's main attack, which as you said, does practically no damage. Then, once it get's Meteor, the playstyle is pretty much just casting Meteors and desperately trying to use your main attack to push mobs into the place where the Meteor is falling thanks to the fact that Meteor takes several months to fall. Then it get's a little better with Ice Snake, but Mage doesn't really become an actual viable class until around lv 40. After lv 40 it's about comparable to Archer.

20. Da Homeboi

Da Homeboi Average Lore and Wiki Enjoyer

Minecraft:
    As a Mage main, I feel Mage is in a pretty good spot.

Mage has bad Melee DPS with most weapons on purpose. And Mage actually has pretty great spells in return. Really the only one I would consider the worst would be Ice Snake, and even then if a mob does not have CCI it's still a pretty great spell. Not to mention Mage gets an instant heal of greater proportions and weapons like King of Hearts basically make you immortal.

Mage actually does not have great range melee-wise compared to the Shaman, as it has a Range of 2/5 compared to the Shaman which is 4/5. Melee Mage can exist to be a bit like a Warrior-damage build with stuff like Compiler.

As per your second point, Aura actually does less damage than Meteor. At Grade 3, Aura only does 200% of your main damage twice, compared to Meteor, which is actually 500% according to the wiki. Not to mention at Grade 3 the Burning Ground does full damage to any mob that walks in the area when it is 'burning.' And if you have a weapon with pretty good 3rd spell cost reductions, then it can be a perfect Spellspam DPS build. And switching to other wands like King of Hearts when using Meteor can actually be more effective and cheaper imo.

Tl;dr: Mage has bad DPS on purpose, has good spells to compensate, Melee Mage builds can exist, Meteor does much more damage than Aura.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.