Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

How Does The Wynn Team Plan To Handle The Inevitable Overload Of Quests/content?

Discussion in 'Questions' started by Cruuk, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cruuk

Cruuk yopyop HERO

Minecraft:
    This is mostly just me speaking my mind, so I'm probably wrong in a couple places since this is basically my own perception of this topic.

I don't want to flat out say that getting to level 100 has become "too easy", but I will say that it's become... much less difficult than before (Not counting CSST). Before you hastily scroll down past this text and make a post to yell at me, I'm not saying Wynn should become a grind-fest again, I really like all the features we have, and I'm really hoping to see more in this upcoming update. However, with the amount of content we've gotten in the last year, Level 100 has become less of a huge feat to get to, even 101, to a certain extent, has suffered this (again, not counting CSST).

A while ago, there was a regular suggestion wanting to raise the level cap, the post itself was meh, but there was a reply there that brought up a good point. I can't remember which post it was, but what it said was that if Fruma is level 60+, then there's going to be quite a bit of content for 60-100 if we are to assume that Fruma is similar in size to Gavel, possibly making the journey to 100 pretty much devoid of grinding altogether. And that's not even considering the massive amount of upcoming non-Fruma quests/dungeons/boss altars/other stuff (Yet again, not counting fucking CSST).

Too much grinding is a bad thing, I know, and I agree. But grinding is still an integral part of the game, I love the quests in this game, but I don't want Wynncraft to become "Quest-2-Quest Craft".

--------------------------------------------

Alright, sorry for the rambling. Anyways, I didn't make this thread just to voice my thoughts, I made this as more of a question towards the Content Team on what they plan to (or if they plan to) do about the inevitable overload of quests/content coming in the future, as there are 3 possible solutions I know of.

• Nerf the amount of XP given from quests/other stuff like dungeons.
    • Make grinding a little more difficult to make up for the massive amount of other stuff.
    • Increase the XP requirement for nearly all levels, as a way of "making more room". (<---- Probably not a good idea? EDIT: Maybe it's not a bad idea after all)
    I know that all of these "solutions" are basically a step-back of what the Gameplay update wanted to achieve, but level 100, and especially level 101, should still at least be a decent challenge and journey to get to.

As for why this is the questions section, I mean, the main part of this thread is based on me, asking the Wynn team, a question. I think it fits here.

Discuss.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Flare2B, Pokextreme, Trvalv and 20 others like this.
  2. WithTheFish

WithTheFish Internet Macrocelebrity CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    If some massive update like Fruma came out and level cap didn't increase, I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of XP needed per level went up. Although Grian really hates grinding, I feel like the team wants there to be at least a bit of grinding needed in each of the later levels.

Loonitick likes this.
  3. Gort

Gort His Royal Pimpness CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I'm more worrried about what they're going to do when dern and Fruma do release. Is that just gonna be the end or what?

Aya likes this.
  4. captainganon

captainganon God of k | Derpalope VIP+

Minecraft:
    I SCROLLED PAST THE TEXT AND AM MAKING THIS POST TO YELL AT YOU BECAUSE YOU ACTUALLY RAISE SOME GOOD POINTS AND I MOSTLY AGREE

Actually, on second thought: the storyline, which should aim to make levelling a backseat goal, should accomplish this.

5. Cruuk

Cruuk yopyop HERO

Minecraft:
    Fruma, and especially Dern, are not coming for a loooooong time, as for that "Road to Dern" update Grian hinted at, I don't think it's Dern itself, but rather, a precursor. So unless you come from the year 2036, I wouldn't worry.

I completely forgot about the storyline while making this.

Apologies if I sound dumb, but what do you mean by this? By "accomplish", are you referring to the storyline making leveling more easier, or is it the opposite?

SizzlingBacon and captainganon like this.
  6. captainganon

captainganon God of k | Derpalope VIP+

Minecraft:
    Guess it was a bit strangely worded. What I meant is that the storyline will hopefully take over the game as the main goal, as opposed to the current, which is leveling up. In turn, the possibility of Wynn becoming "Quest-2-Quest craft" should be removed entirely, as quests are no longer nearly as important. Leveling will no longer be that important, meaning the real content won't be coming from the quests but from the storyline itself.

In other words, think of it like this: the main storyline will be what's important, and everything we think of as Quests will be more akin to Side-Quests in other RPGs, optional stories that provide insight into the lore, extra gear, and some experience. The fact that you can get to 100 by doing them all will not affect the game very much, simply because getting to 100/101 will no longer be the main goal. A player may even choose only to do the ones they find along the storyline or that seem interesting to them.

For example, Xenoblade Chronicles. There's plenty of side-quests and things to do, but really you're playing the game for the campaign. While it's a bit harder to pull off in an MMO, the addition of a storyline should help pull Wynn closer to such types of games. Not to say it will overshadow the quests, as the storyline will (hopefully) not give you enough levels to progress through the game while ignoring all quests and grinding.

I feel like I may have made this more complicated, so to sum it up: the storyline will shift the focus of the game, harshly lowering the consequences of such an event even if it were to happen. An overload of quests would thus not have a significant impact on the balance of the game or anything of the like.

Sku, Ackro, Dohdo and 3 others like this.
  7. NotAFish

NotAFish An evolved jungle slime Discord Moderator CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    They'll finally have run our of excuses and fix guilds...

Dohdo, Lemon, Trash and 1 other person like this.
  8. Yuno F Gasai

Yuno F Gasai Forum God, FW

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I'm with grian on this, I think the game should almost be quest2quest with a little grinding in between

SaltyKing and carlossey like this.
  9. Cruuk

Cruuk yopyop HERO

Minecraft:
    That's what I'm sort of referring to, quests (or the storyline) should still be the bigger focus, but, let's say that Fruma adds like, 40-50 quests. Along with all the other upcoming content, grinding will basically become optional in it's entirety if nothing changes. Too much grinding is a bad thing, but having no grinding at all is also kind of a bad thing, for an MMO at least.

Yuno F Gasai likes this.
  10. Cruuk

Cruuk yopyop HERO

Minecraft:
    Bumpity bump

11. Magicalyule

Magicalyule uwumachine VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I kinda approve to your point because like some players have gone through a lot of hard work to get to at least 80's. Right now with all of these quests anyone with no skill can become 80 without almost no grinding. But there is that point that quests are what makes a RPG a RPG. I wish Wynn really had a main storyline to be honest. There are just some quests releated to eachother. Maybe they could make a main storyline and all of these quests would be sidequests that give poor rewards and grinding would stand out more?

12. Cruuk

Cruuk yopyop HERO

Minecraft:
    There is a main storyline that's been in the works for a while.

13. bloww

bloww Shoutbox Fancam Account HERO

Minecraft:
    by the time theres too many quests mojang will fuck up everything and minecraft servers wont be a thing anymore

14. T-Flex

T-Flex At the gym HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    When I joined, there were like 30 quests in total, and there was no Gavel. IMO, that was a perfect ratio. You did some quests, but you were also
    required to do some grinding in order to level up, but even back then, the leveling was too easy. Now, the balance is piss poor. Quests are
    overshadowing the fundamental aspect of an RPG - grinding. You get too much exp+LE from it. Waaaay too much. Whenever I'd finish a 80+ quest
    in Wynncraft, I'd either almost gain a whole level or gain a level. That's just absurd and makes grinding mobs irrelevant.

I assume the reason for them doing so many quests is cause people complained about grinding. Have you ever went to a racing forum and
    complained how there are too many cars and too many races in a racing game? Then why complain about grinding in a grinding-themed game, especially in Wynncraft, when grinding already was almost non-existant?
    I could somewhat agree that there weren't enough quests back then, to each their own I suppose, but there are too many of them now. Or, their
    benefits are over the limit.

I don't like doing quests. I feel as they are a chore. I don't ask for CT to stop making them, I just want their rewards to be balanced, so that leveling up is something that requires effort and grinding to be rewarding and important to an extent. I enjoy grinding and doing loot runs, and I just
    want to be rewarded for spending my time on it.

I also assume most of the Wynn's playerbase are younger people, teens or kids, and most of them play Wynncraft cause it's minecraft themed and
    have/had no experience with other RPGs before, so they don't like grinding. Fair enough I suppose, you are free to play the game the way you want
    and see, but you should also know, that grinding is a huge part of an RPG game and cannot be ignored or avoided. Ignoring it just makes this game
    a telltale.

Exp and LE from quests should be nerfed. This isn't balanced and makes grinding obsolete. Somewhat offtopic, but I also think item drops should be nerfed.

I'm even wondering if anything can be done at this point without a reset. Whatever they do in the future doesn't change the past, and many
    things went wrong. I suppose I'll just play the game as long as I enjoy it the way it is and worry about myself.

Loonitick likes this.
  15. Cruuk

Cruuk yopyop HERO

Minecraft:
    Yes, grinding should be integral, but it should not be handled in the same way that pre-Gavel 60-68 and pre-Gameplay Update 90-100 was handled, that was just extremely tedious game design that pretty much nobody liked.

Though, I think the best idea at this point would be to balance quest rewards around the massive amount amount of quests, making grinding integral but not arduous.

Also, no CT has replied yet. :(

ThomAnn100 likes this.
  16. Major_Lue

Major_Lue Famous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    The issue is.. CSST which you avoided (good call because it shouldn't be a thing, or this good). This completely overshadows all quests and makes the rewards from them completely meaningless. The experience you gain from a quest which can take 15 minutes - an hour can't even stand next to CSST's 2-3 million in 4 minutes without looking really fucking stupid.

The LE that you get from them is also near nothing in the current economy. You can get enough to buy some legendaries, but chances are you found your fair share of them already. You can't even come close to the average mythic. That's another problem in and of itself.

What I'm trying to get at.. you can't nerf quests' XP or LE because they're near meaningless in the current state of the game. There has to be some really serious changes to balance this out. The content team has hinted at some sort of mysterious fix to the economy which is very interesting. As for quests.. rip.

17. Salted

Salted Game Design & Wynncraft Founder Staff Member Admin GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    Interesting thread, not something I would expect from the community. I'm interested in knowing what most of you are thinking, would you guys want a slight dungeon/quests XP rebalancing?

Lex!, Loonitick, 3DSMate and 16 others like this.
  18. Cruuk

Cruuk yopyop HERO

Minecraft:
    I think a rebalance of XP for dungeons/quests would probably be the best thing to do. I'll say it again, I love the content we have right now and I'm looking forward to what's next, but the more content is added, the more easier is to get to 100. Too much content= Everyone being 100, the more people are 100, the more people want more endgame content, the more endgame content, the more easier it is to get to 101 alright I'll stop.

It should be balanced in a way that the journey to endgame is a long-term challenge, but still engaging and fulfilling, and not a boring grind. And of course, it should also be balanced around the massive amount of content we have. Thanks for the reply.

19. Gort

Gort His Royal Pimpness CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    That would be nice but I also think you should definitely increase the level cap eventually. Especially with major updates like Dern and Fruma, that could possibly add a lot of quests. I know it hasn't been said that 100/101 will be the permanent cap, but I've heard you've considered just capping it at 100.

Stag2001 likes this.
  20. Major_Lue

Major_Lue Famous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    Considering CSST pretty much invalidates high level quests and makes it even easier to get to level 100/101 on top of the quests.. Yes.

Nyam, Cruuk and Stag2001 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.