Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

SPOILER Gavel Survival Guide - How To Be Effective With The New Combat System

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by Tantibus, Dec 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tantibus

Tantibus Chairman of the Wynnviet Union, God of Dern CT Manager HERO GM CMD

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    So, been noticing a lot lately that people have kinda jumped into this new combat system without really knowing how to be effective. Thing is, this game's a lot more strategy-based now. You're no longer supposed to just get the best gear possible. So, with that said, let's get started!

Builds

Before I begin explaining, I must say this: DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, reset your skill points just to use a piece of equipment. I don't care how good you think it is. If you think an item that you can't use is really good then clearly you've been using the wrong build.

Okay, anyways, now I'll actually explain how your build works. Skill points now do two things: boost your damage in an element (if your weapon doesn't do damage in the element of your skill then you won't get any of the benefits) and boost a stat in some way. You already know about that second part though. So let's get to the important part: Choosing your build. I don't recommend doing more than three elements, otherwise your build will kind of just be all over the place. So, let me explain each element in detail, telling you exactly what to expect from your gear if you decide to put your skill points into an element.

EARTH (Strength)

Earth is all about your basic attack and hitting hard. However hitting hard also means hitting slow. Most earth weapons will attack slow. Armor can also, on occasion, slow down your movement a tad. Earth gear tends to have less of a focus on spell damage boosts so you'll probably be focusing on your more powerful basic attack. This skill boosts your neutral damage AND your earth damage, so you'll be a pretty powerful brute.

THUNDER (Dexterity)

Thunder is all about hitting fast, most thunder gear will have a high attack speed. However, that quick attack speed comes at the price of lowered damage per hit. Your damage per second will be insanely high so bosses with high regen will tremble before you. However, thunder's incredibly luck-based, too. You might have weapons with high damage variants, or gear that depends on getting a lucky roll with your IDs, so be careful. This luck factor of the thunder element plays right into its stat boost, which gives you a chance to do a critical hit. Thunder might prove very favorable to the Assassin class, seeing daggers generally tend to attack fast anyways.

WATER (Intelligence)

Water is all about using spells, and using them as much as possible. So expect to get a lot of spell damage boosts from your gear. Your basic attack, in turn, might be a bit weaker with water weapons. However, this element usual stays very neutral in terms of attack speed so you don't have to fret too much about attacking too slow or too fast. A lot of gear in this element will grant mana regen and mana steal, which is very useful tied with the increased mana this element gives you. Water could be useful to the Mage class, seeing as it tends to rely on spells a lot.

FIRE (Defense)

Fire is all about being a tank. Defense boosts, high-health gear, that kind of stuff. Don't expect many powerful attacks, but the perk of not dying as easily is definitely worth it. Don't expect to be attacking super fast with this class, either, but most of the time fire doesn't get as slow as earth. You also might find some gear that gives you a chance to cause explosions whenever you hit, and health regen and life steal equipment will probably show up a lot for you. The neutral defense boost combined with the higher-health gear will give your foes a tough time of getting rid of you. I imagine Warriors will take a liking to this element.

AIR (Agility)

Air is all about running around and not getting hit. Expect to get speed boosts from this element, making travelling in general much easier. But it can also be a lifesaver on the battlefield. You also might attack a bit faster than normal with this element, which can be useful if you have to deal with multiple targets. This element gives an evasion boost, meaning you might not get hit when an enemy attacks. I'd recommend this element for Archers.

So, once you've chosen a few elements you like, it's time to choose a build. You can always reset if you don't like it, but once again: It's a waste of money to change it just for a good piece of equipment. If you feel a piece of gear is really good, then clearly you have a liking to that piece of gear's element, in which case you should probably reset your build anyways.

Also, feel free to go nuts with your build. You don't have to follow my recommendations for what elements to put on what class. If you want to go nuts and be an earth assassin, nothing's stopping you! Thunder warrior? Go ahead! Mix it up a little, choose what elements suit you best!

Also, keep in mind that every point's effectiveness in that skill gets lower as that skill gets more points put into it. So going from 0 to 1 points will probably give you a lot more than going from 46 to 47. Also, some gear can give skill points or take skill points away, this can allow you to wear gear that you previously were unable to.

Okay, so now you've chosen your build, so let's get into combat itself, which has changed a lot.

Combat

Combat is now a lot more challenging, but don't be alarmed. It'll take some getting used to, but I think everyone will get the hang of it. So, let's go!

Potions

Your health regeneration is now very slow, almost useless. It'll take like 5 minutes for your health to naturally regenerate. And that's where your trusty friend the health potion comes in. Health potions now have 3 uses, and will generally tend to fill up a third of your health. There's now about 20 tiers of health potions, but that comes with a catch:

They now have level requirements. But those requirements go up in increments of 5 and most potion shops sell a variety of potion tiers. Just make sure to look at the level requirement before you buy a potion. Potions now also can be drinken instantly and won't leave behind glass bottles. However, the health is not instant. But it takes full effect within 3 seconds so you'll be fine.

Elements in Combat

So, remember when you chose your build? Turns out it has a use, and this is where using more than one element really comes in handy. Mobs now have elemental defenses, weaknesses, and attacks. So if you're a thunder character up against a thunder mob, you'll take less damage but the same applies when you hit it. But if you happen to have a weapon with the element it's weak against, and the skill points to use it, then...

It might sound a bit stressful at first, but luckily most weapons have some amount of neutral damage, so you'll at least be doing a bit damage. However you won't find that many weapons that are totally neutral aside from basic weapons which are pretty terrible now. However, all of you veterans who have beat Reincarnation probably have one of the best neutral weapons in the game.

Mob Upgrades

So, you might be decked out with a bunch of new fancy skills, but the same has happened with mobs. Mobs in general are just a bit stronger, but they can also do a bunch of new fancy tricks. For example, some mobs might shoot a huge blast of several projectiles like a shotgun and some might act more like a machine gun and shoot really fast, then "reload". Some mobs might charge like a bull in a straight line, turn, and repeat the process. Most slimes will actually jump now, too.

But mobs have some more important changes, too. For example, we now have neutral mobs. They stay general passive but if you hit them then they will be aggressive. But even more importantly, there are now mobs that can protect the player! All those useless guard golems around cities? Now they'll actually help defend the place! You'll even find some mobs who will serve as an ally in your journey and follow you around for a bit.

Also, one other small thing of note: We now have player mobs. Wynn now has humans and we've also used these new mobs to create several races around gavel from elves to dwarves to new ones we've invented like Doguns.

Well, I think you about covers everything you need to know about how to not die this update. Let me know if I missed anything! Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  2. PillowPet

PillowPet Lovable Neighborhood Pillow CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Neat! I am sure this will help a bunch of confused people xD

3. BlahBlah161616

BlahBlah161616 Light Theme User

Guild:
    I reset my skill points to make my build to match my booster build. Basically it boosts every single element and makes me really powerful. Plus it gives tons of walk speed, perfect for my archer. I've been stacking dexterity though, because I love thunder.

4. Chaos_Filler

Chaos_Filler Well-Known Adventurer CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Nice. That's all I have to say.

5. Plasma~

Plasma~ Antishitposter

Minecraft:
    Somebody sticky this.

NITEHAWKX and CheesePrince13 like this.
  6. Ninjazzzzzz

Ninjazzzzzz Certified Sacrificer VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Well, this isn't exactly true. Doing all 5 elements makes you deal tons of damage, along with the fact you can wear ANY ARMOR and also use any weapon. Not only that, you gain buffs from all five groups, and again, deal tons of damage. Only downside, your neutral damage usually sucks, so if you're up against a mob with 3+ defense against an element, then you're most likely going to lose. That can be avoided though, because you can use any element! Just switch over to a fast attacking weapon with Thunder, or maybe a hard-hitting one with Earth. If you hate having to go for one specific strategy, then I'd recommend doing all elements.

7. McMasterx

McMasterx ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Valar MorGavelis HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    "Neat! I am sure this will help confused a bunch of people" ***

8. huge6446

huge6446 nether pvp guy HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I think he means that you should not focus on more than 3 elements (unless you want an allrounder, which is not too great)

9. XavierEXE

XavierEXE ♪ Wynncraft's Composer and Ability Tree Lead ♫ ♪ Music Item Team CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    I know that there is a legendary chestplate with a 110 Intelligence requirement that would like to have a word with you.

10. Popify

Popify On days like these...

Also something super important that should be mentioned somewhere in this post.

This game is now favoring team players, multiple builds on multiple people is the #1 way to succeed with little to no resistance from your enemies.

Justin Lee, XavierEXE and Verle like this.
  11. awemanrank100

awemanrank100 custom title

Minecraft:
    I'd like to know how stats are applied to damage. For example, if I have X Dexterity, does it do an additional X Thunder damage or +X% Thunder damage, or something else?

12. Mighty Burger

Mighty Burger voids warranties

My archer is using a bow called infinity. It sort of has, like, all of the elements if I remember correctly.

13. Kusu~

Kusu~ Obsessed with purple. HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Thanks for the guide Tanta Claus. I'll take this as my Christmas gift :P

LotKnockMC likes this.
  14. Ninjazzzzzz

Ninjazzzzzz Certified Sacrificer VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    There is? Well then put more points into intelligence, besides it'll fill up the empty space in your head Xavier.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH

15. sjuka_legogubbar

sjuka_legogubbar Well-Known Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    Awesome :L Im not that confused but now i found out that more than 1 thing to attack with might be really good!

16. XavierEXE

XavierEXE ♪ Wynncraft's Composer and Ability Tree Lead ♫ ♪ Music Item Team CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    This would be a burn if I wasn't a water/air mage with 116 intelligence.

NITEHAWKX and Couch like this.
  17. Tantibus

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    This does apply for most of the game, but once you reach the high-levels, some gear might require an insane amount of skill points to use.

18. Linnyflower

Linnyflower ironman btw Item Team HICH Master CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Thunder and Fire Warrior :P

19. deadluke

deadluke ...

Minecraft:
    so having air element will give us infinate speed?

20. Tantibus

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Just putting skill points into it won't, but a lot of air-based gear will improve your movement speed. So if you wear air-element gear, you technically have "infinite" speed.

XavierEXE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.