Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Extra Consideration When Choosing/ Nominating Staff Members For Fw

Discussion in 'Featured Wynncraftian Suggestions' started by SilverMirror, Jul 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilverMirror

SilverMirror Retired IM HERO

Minecraft:
    Hi

So this post is not a nomination, but it's a suggestion about FW and since this section is specifically about FW technically it fits in this category.

I want to recommend the community to have extra consideration when nominating staff members for FW, and hope the judges for FW would do the same when it comes to considering staff members as well.

Staff members by default should have already done a lot for the community, especially for staff positions like mods. This criteria overlaps with FW in some extend and giving them a high chance of winning by default as this is why they are chosen to be the mod or staff at the first place, they are entitled. Moreover, becoming a staff also gives him or her the opportunity and ability to do goods for the server, again this is entitled, and overlap with requirements for FW.

FW should be much more than just staff members handing prizes to each other. Should be something given to under appreciated community members that do goods but doesn't stand out. That's why this existed at the first place

So I hope the community can think twice before nominating staff members, and nominate according to what they have done outside of their position and before they have acquired their position. And consider why they stand out from the list of mods/staff that allow them to have FW. Instead of simply listing wt they have done. Same goes to the panel of judges when considering choosing FW.

Welcome any critique/suggestions

2. captainganon

captainganon God of k | Derpalope VIP+

Minecraft:
    TL;DR being Staff already highlights one as doing more for the community, adding the FW on top of that is redundant and could be used to show off other important figures that don't have the privilege of being Staff members and thus being very much in the public eye.

3. Pretzule

Pretzule eats pretzels HERO

Minecraft:
    I agree, I would like it if there were more people either recommended in the community that were not CT or mod team because it makes for a much more interesting interview imo.

The issue is either people just really don't like to recommenced other people, or there isn't enough people that are doing things that are cool or that stand out.
    (I feel like it's the second one but I'm still hoping that people just don't like making threads.)

4. naybelline

naybelline Ex Mod HERO

Minecraft:
    Absolutely agree, look at my nomination, yes I probably haven't done something outstanding that is plastered all over the forums, or anything that is arty farty or really good at coding or whatever.
    Yet it got shut down and ridiculed. I think that in itself is very off putting to anyone wanting to nominate anyone.

5. RamonaFlowers

RamonaFlowers Subspace Delivery Girl CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I feel like we should also nominate notable Veterans of this server/people that played a big part in bringing fun to the community since earlier days, and not just through events. I get it, FW is mainly for people who brought contributions to the server-be it events or staff roles. But let's not forget members who were prominent back in the days too, shall we. If they are still alive now

TurtlePlaysGamez, T-Flex, D7 and 2 others like this.
  6. Kaelan~

Kaelan~ RIP VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
  7. T-Flex

T-Flex At the gym HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Yeah, I absolutely get your point. It's why I find a FW requirements a double sword. On one hand, the fact you gotta do something outstanding for a community already limits a vast majority of the users. On another hand, if we remove that requirement, FW losses on value. And let's be honest, there is so much a person can do and so much can be done.

And I'm never gonna consider art a talent or community contribution. Making art is like going to the gym, if it was hard or required talent, not so
    many would do it or be good at it.

I wouldn't mind you getting FW, as you are genuinely a nice person. I saw you several times helping lower leveled players with lost gear, and that's a community contribution.

I have 2 reasons I never nominated anyone:
    1) All those who vote "no" on nomination threads, not because they have a good reason, but because they want to decrease your chances in order to increase theirs.
    2) People see FW as a competition and being featured as a prize. That's not what it was supposed to be or what it presents.

It's the community mentality that off puts me in nominating anyone.

8. Yuno F Gasai

Yuno F Gasai Forum God, FW

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I have to disagree with you, there are a lot of people that contributed a lot to the community but people don't know about them

ThatApricot and Undiscovered like this.
  9. T-Flex

T-Flex At the gym HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    You are free to provide an example.
    Also, if you know someone like that, nothing stops you from nominating.

10. Yuno F Gasai

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Fibunny, sya, jj

Undiscovered likes this.
  11. T-Flex

T-Flex At the gym HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I'll give you the sya point. I dunno who he is, tho I voted yes in your thread.
    Also fair point in not nominating others because you don't know them well.
    Fibunny used to be a moderator. JJ was known to everyone as he was one of the best forumers this place saw. Those 2 weren't unknown.

12. Yuno F Gasai

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    They are now, I see fw more as a way to make sure people will remember their contribution to the community

13. T-Flex

T-Flex At the gym HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Well, considering us 2 are talking about them, I can't agree about them being forgotten.
    It's also impossible to interview someone who hasn't been active in ages.

I see fw more as a way to make sure people will remember...

Is that really how you see FW? A way to boost to the community what someone has done and to make sure people don't forget about it?
    If a community contribution was exceptional, it won't be forgotten, just like JJ's weren't by us who remember him. Those who don't, don't need to, as he hasn't done anything in the recent times.

Is that why you are so obsessed about being nominated? So people don't forget what you have a done after you leave? I'm sorry, but what you just said fits your profile a bit too well just for it to be a coincidence. You are turning a FW into a museum, a display of personal achievements, a way to rub in how someone is more useful than others. I can't ever, nor will ever, agree with that. The whole point of FW is to bring community closer and get to know someone a little bit better, not to ensure you will live like a legend after you are gone.

naybelline and SilverMirror like this.
  14. Yuno F Gasai

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    But they will be forgotten soon, I joined the forums after jj and fibbuny left, they're are only a handful of people that remember them.
    And I don't really see how fw brings the community closer. The way to bring the community together is if they work together on projects

Undiscovered likes this.
  15. T-Flex

T-Flex At the gym HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I know you don't see it. It's apparent from the way you see FW. I can't explain to you how it brings the community closer, as it's not something
    you explain but feel. The reason I like JJ so much is not because what he has done here, but because I got to know him as a person. Nothing he wrote on the forums can come close to what he said outside of them. That's why I'll always consider him a friend. Not because of his threads, but because he was a kind person, passionate, ready to talk and help. And you can only see that if you get to know him better, not by working on projects or presenting his achievements. Be a person above all.

Ackro and naybelline like this.
  16. lonttano

lonttano new

Minecraft:
    fw stand for.....?

17. Yuno F Gasai

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Featured Wynncraftian

Kaelan~ likes this.
  18. Glitchedslayer