Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Dogun conlang

Discussion in 'Your Work' started by TrapinchO, Mar 24, 2023.

?

Goul?

1. On!

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Din!

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrapinchO

TrapinchO retired observer of the wiki VIP+ Featured Wynncraftian

Minecraft:
    The Dogun language
    Zun Dogun, Drhake ha o Garake ha khizin. Zun Koghamedoke ha kouhqiran.
    by @TrapinchO and Xozahqira

DISCLAIMER: We are not members of the CT. This is a project made by lore and language enthusiasts in an attempt to improve the Dogun culture. Furthermore, if this project does get adapted to the game, it obviously doesn't have to be a perfect replica.
    (not Brought to you by the WynnTheory discord server)
    (also please not that this is a transcript of a pdf linked below, we strongly recommend looking at it for better experience)

Introduction:
    Dogun is a fully-fledged constructed language (“conlang” for short), made by me (TrapinchO) and my friend Xozahqira. We have been working on it for quite some time and it has gone through many revisions. And now we have finally put it all together and made it into publishable state. Enjoy!

About the language:
    Dogun is spoken by a fictional race of the same name from the Wynncraft world. Although realistically they should not be able to produce speech[1], they managed to do it thanks to magic. The language itself is mostly agglutinative with some analytic elements. Its’ dominant word order is VSO, it is head-initial and has zero copula[2][3].

[4]
    The Dogun language has a total of 18 consonants and 6 vowels. Most of these exist in English, however there are some unusual sounds, namely /x ɣ χ q ʔ ɨ/. The first three are similar to /s/ in manner but they are made much further in the mouth. /q/ is made like /k/ but a bit further as well. /ʔ/ is the “uh-oh” sound in English. /ɨ/ is somewhere halfway between /i/ and /u/. The table below describes all sounds in the language using the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) notation. You can listen to the exact pronunciation using this interactive table. Also here is a relevant video by Tom Scott explaining it.
    img_phono.png
    Phonotactics are the rules of what types of syllables are allowed. For example, when a syllable is “CV” means that it is made of one consonant followed by one vowel after it, for example “ha” or “do”. Some languages (like Hawaiian or Japanese), allow only simple ones like CV and CVN (N stands for nasal sounds like /n/ or /m/), while other (German, English) can have very complex, such as CCCVCCCC (famous /streŋkθs/). Dogun remains simple, with longest syllable being CVC. One unusual feature though is the possibility of syllabic consonants (syllables without vowels).[5]
    img_tactics.png
    * CR and CLV cannot come after CVC or each other at the end of the word.
    ** V and VC can appear only at the beginning of the word.

INVALID: "kda", "gudd", "pk", "hrun", "delg"

Note that words like "Garaheth" are /ga.ra.he.th/, not /ga.ra.heth/.
    Doguns have their own writing system[7]. Unlike the Latin alphabet[8] however, where all consonants and vowels have their own letters, it is an abjad, where are only symbols for consonants, with diacritics marking the vowels, similarly to the Arabic script.[9] It is written right to left.
    img_script.jpg

As seen on the image, the script also uses several ligatures (two or more symbols connected to one), which are used for personal pronouns, grammatical markers, particles, diphthongs, and certain words important for the Dogun culture.

Sometimes, for example in this document (and anywhere else where we can’t use the Dogun script), the language is written in the Latin script for it to be easier to understand or write down. This is called “romanisation”. Most of the sounds are written using their IPA symbol aside from a few exceptions, which can be found in angle brackets (<>) next to their respective sounds. The glottal stop /ʔ/ is usually omitted at the beginning of a word, unless the syllable does not have a vowel (e.g. “qnjo” (misleading)). If a prefix is to be appended to a name, it is separated by an apostrophe (for example in “zu ru’Couragqar” = “I might be in Courag”). Apostrophe is also used to differentiate clusters from a digraph, for example “kugha” is /ku.ɣa/, but with apostrophe (“kug’ha”) it is /kug.ha/. It also denotes consonantal syllables in case such as “kughra” /kuɣ.ra/ and “ku’ghra” /ku.gh.ra/.

Nouns decline according to number and case. Unlike English or Spanish, there are no articles or genders. The order of suffixes is noun-number-case.

Number:
    Number can be either singular or plural, the latter being marked with "-(u)n" suffix. The vowel "u" is inserted in cases where it would break the language's phonotactics (in words ending with consonants). However, the affix is optional. When a quantifier (e.g. a number) is present, it is allowed not to include it.
    lyca (day) -> lycan (days)
    heth (lord) -> hethun (lords)
    rukma (head) -> rum rukma (two heads)

Case:
    Case denotes the word’s role in the sentence. In many languages, such as Latin or Czech, nouns take different affixes depending on their role.
    Nominative is the default case and is unmarked. It is used mainly for the subject (agent, doer) of the sentence, but it is also used to describe a permanent property. For example, “Dogun” in “I am a Dogun” is permanent (I can’t unbecome one) and would use nominative, while “mayor” in “I am a mayor” is only temporary and thus would use accusative.
    courag = a city
    zu Korzim = I (am) Korzim
    Korzim Dogun = Korzim is a Dogun
    Accusative is primarily used for the object (patient, to whom it is done) of the sentence and is denoted by “-ku” suffix. For example, in “I see Korzim” Korzim is the one who is seen. It is also used for temporary properties, such as “I am a mayor”.
    kaurah zu Korzimku (see I Korzim-ACC) = I see Korzim
    kaurah no zuku (see they I-ACC) = They(singular) see me
    Paku ghamuku (Paku chief-ACC) = Paku is a chief
    Locative is, as the name suggests, used to indicate location, usually together with a preposition. It is marked by suffix “-ʔar”. It is also used to mark position in time, words like “today” use this case. When the preposition can be inferred, for example in “I am going to the city” or “It is on the table”, it can be dropped, leaving only the noun in locative.
    Zu Couragqar (I Courag-LOC) = I am in the city
    Kaurah ta Korzimku vy gakuqar (see you Korzim-ACC in house-LOC) = You see Korzim in a house
    Oblique case is marked by suffix “-ke” and is used for anything not covered by the other ones. Usually, it is used for the indirect object (the receiver in “I give it to you”), possessions or in conjunction with prepositions.
    rypah zu noku take (give I it-ACC you-OBL) = I give it to you
    zunke ha doguva (we-OBL POS freedom) = Our freedom
    zu ul take (I with you-OBL) = I with you
    From grammar perspective, pronouns behave exactly like nouns.

Personal:
    There are three persons, just like in English. Note that the 3rd person pronouns are not gendered, there is one pronoun “no” instead of English “he/she/they”.
    img_pronouns.png

"no" vs "nokh":
    While “no” is used as a general personal pronoun (just like English “they”), “nokh” is used when there is a need to distinguish between multiple individuals. Classic example is “Korzim sees Plario.” -> “He sees him.”, where can be ambiguity to who sees who. “nokh” is usually the less important thing or the second one to be mentioned. In linguistics, the pronoun is said to be “obviative”.
    kaurah zu noku (see I they-ACC) = I see them (normal “no”)
    pltoh Korzim Plarioku (meet Korzim Plario-ACC) -> pltoh no nokhku (they (Korzim) meet them (Plario))
    rypah nokh drgoku noke (give they-OBV rock-ACC they-OBL) -> they (Plario) give a rock to them (Korzim)

Unlike English, which has two demonstrative pronouns, “this” and “that”, Dogun uses three,” izo” for objects very close to the speaker or the receiver, “ize” for nearby objects and “izy” for ones far away. These can also be inflected, in locative case they become “here”, “there” and “over there”, respectively. When linked to a noun, they come after it and act like adjectives.
    izo Delgu o ize Aval (this Delg and this Aval) = this is Delg and that is Aval
    kaurah zu gakuku izo (see I house-ACC this) = I see this house
    no on izeqar, zo izyqar (they not there(nearby) but there) = they are not nearby, but over there
    Question words usually start with “se-“, similarly to how English one start with “wh-“ (what, where, when…). These are placed at the beginning of a sentence, unless for occasions where they take the role of the object (e.g. in “What do you see?” – “ta kaurah semku?”). As the Dogun culture believes that everything on the Earth is *alive*, there is no distinction between “what” and “who” and these take a single word, “sem”.
    sem ta? (who you) = who are you?
    sec ta izoqar? (why you here) = why are you here?
    Indefinite pronouns are made by adding different prefixes to question words, similarly to how English does it with “where” (somewhere, anywhere…). The prefixes are the same as verb ones. A not exactly known subject, basically English “some-“, is marked by prefix “ru-“. English “any” is marked by prefix “ha-“. Negative pronouns (English “no-“) attach the prefix “on-“. “every” is marked by “ioru-“ (with the exception of who/what, which is simply “ioru”).
    sem = who / what; sequ = where
    rusem = someone / something; rusequ = somewhere
    hasem = anyone / anything; hasequ = anywhere
    onsem = no one / nothing; onsequ = nowhere
    ioru = everyone / everything; iorusequ = everywhere
    Verbs are conjugated according to voice and mood. Unlike many languages, it does not change depending on the person or tense, the latter is instead either inferred from the context or marked by one of the time adverbs. Verbs always end with “h”. The order of affixes is voice-mood-negation-verb.

Grammatical aspect is a way to relay how events happened within the timeline, contrary to tenses, which relay when events happened. For example, while the past tense implies that the event happened before now, the perfective aspect implies that the event was happening over time.

Dogun, similarly to Czech, bakes it directly into a verb itself. In English, “I ate rock” (past simple) and “I was eating rock” (past continuous) are differentiated by the auxiliary verb “be”, but Dogun would use two separate words for eating (synonyms of Czech “jíst” a “sníst”). An aspect is done by prefixing different prepositions or time markers before the verb, examples of these include “za-“ (from) and “akh-“ (towards).
    akhkleveh (to go towards) = to come
    akhdychruh (to remember towards) = to recollect sth
    vykyzmeh (to destroy inside) = to fall apart
    zariosuh (to think from) = to throw away an idea (to think of sth but discard it as stupid)

Voice:
    Voice can be either active or passive, just like in English. Active means that the doer is also the subject of the sentence and is unmarked. Passive, on the other hand, means that the doer is the object instead and is marked by the prefix “kho-“. Compare this to Czech or English use of verb “to be” (I am seen/já jsem viděn).
    khozrypah zu taku (teach I you-ACC) -> khokhozrypah zu taku (I am taught by you) (PASS-teach I you-OBL)
    chspah zu (wait I) -> khochspah zu (I am waited for.) (PASS-wait I)

Mood:
    Mood shows the speaker’s position to the information. For example, some languages like Czech or Spanish distinguish between a statement, an order, and a condition (I would do it if…). Dogun has three, a factual statement, an unsure statement, and a possibility.
    Indicative is the default mood and is unmarked. It is used for simple statements. This whole document is written in indicative.[10]
    mlgah zu taku (watch I you-ACC) = I watch you
    hrvoh ta zuku (protect you I-ACC) = You protect me
    Subjunctive:
    Subjunctive is marked by prefix “ru-” and designates uncertainty. It is used for questions, wishes, orders or just when the speaker is unsure.
    ta rukaurah zuku? (you SUB-see I-ACC?) = Do you see me?
    ke ta rumedoh (may you SUB-live) = May you live!
    rukaurah zu taku (SUB-see I you-ACC) = I might (or might not) see you
    Potential:
    Potential is marked by prefix “ha-“ and shows ability or high probability. It is used in situations where English would use the verb “to can”, replacing it.
    hakaurah zu taku (POT-see I you-ACC) = I can see you
    ta hachisuh izoku? (you POT-read this-ACC?) = Can you read this?
    on, onhachisuh zu (no, NEG-POT-read I) = No, I can’t (read)

Negative potential (inability to do the action) is marked by negative prefix “on-“ before the potential prefix “ha-“. Placing the prefixes in opposite order changes meaning – in that case it indicates the ability to not-perform the action.
    onhakleveh ta pal cughrunqar (NEG-POT-go you into cave-LOC) = You can’t go into the cave.
    haqonkleveh ta pal cughrunqar, du ruqonvurih ta. (POT-NEG-go you into cave-LOC if SUB-NEG-want you) = You can not go into the cave if you don’t want to.
    IND: kaurah tirak arzulku = Tirack sees Arzul (100% sure)
    IND: onkaurah tirak arzulku = Tirack doesn’t see Arzul (ditto)
    SUB: rukaurah tirak arzulku = Tirack may see Arzul (not sure)
    SUB: tirak rukaurah arzulku? = Does Tirack see Arzul?
    POT: hakaurah tirak arzulku = Tirack can see Arzul (almost sure or they are able to do it)
    POT: onhakaurah tirak arzulku = Tirack can’t see Arzul (they are unable to do it)

Copula (to be):
    Dogun language has zero copula, meaning that, similarly to Russian or Arabic, it doesn’t use an equivalent of English verb “to be” when talking about what something is (or is not). Unlike the languages mentioned above, which still use the verb “to be” in non-present tenses, Dogun has no such verb at all. If a statement requires a mood, it is added to the object as a prefix instead.
    Plario couragqar (Plario city-LOC) = Plario (is) in the city
    Plario rucouragqar (Plario SUB-city-LOC) = Plario might be in the city
    no ruteqetau (they SUB-dwarf) = they(singular) might be a Dwarf

Impersonal verbs are verbs that do not take any subject, notable example being “to rain” or other weather-related actions. Some languages like Spanish use 3rd person singular for the conjugation ((él) llueve; (ono) prší), while other like Russian avoid them completely, e.g. they say “the rain falls” instead of “it rains”. Dogun chooses the latter approach.
    dolneh enoplo (fall water) = it rains (water falls)
    Adjectives behave both as adjectives and as adverbs. Like in Spanish they are head-initial, meaning they are placed after the nouns they modify. But unlike Spanish they do not agree with the noun, so they do not take any cases (unless they behave like one).
    zu Dogun medo (I Dogun alive) = I am a living Dogun
    kouh ta arzulku goul (speak you message-ACC good) = you are telling good news

They take three degrees of comparison – positive, comparative, and superlative. The positive is used for describing a property and is unmarked. The comparative is used to describe that something has a great degree of property and is marked by suffix “-nu”. The superlative does so with the greatest degree of property and is marked by suffix “-nunu”.[11] Compare to English “-er” (strong -> stronger) or Czech “-ejší” (silný -> silnější)
    medo (warm) -> medonu (warmer) -> medonunu (the warmest)
    Doguns use hexadecimal numeral system – they have distinct words for numbers from 0 to 15 and for powers of 16, instead of usual 10. Every power (10, 100, 1000…) is joined with its’ count (shortened to first consonant and vowel), forming a separate word (e.g. 700 = cudym (cuva + dym)), with the exception of tens’ and ones’, which are written together (e.g. 63 = machuqvag (map + chuq + vag)). These are also separated by conjunction “o” (and) (e.g. 763 = cudym o machuqvag)
    395116 (1467310) = vaqehr dadym o chochuqqak
    2EC616 (1197410) = ruqehr liodym o michuqmap

Writing:
    Doguns use a system similar to the one of Romans. Numerals are written using certain letters of the alphabet. Lower value symbols after higher ones are added, while those before are subtracted. There are distinct symbols for 1 (Q), 8 (R), 16 (Ch), 128 (M), 256 (X) and 2048 (L).
    Dogun numerals (written) = hexadecimal (decimal)
    RQQ (gumma) = A (10)
    Ch (chuq) = 10 (16)
    ChQ (chuqqak) = 11 (17)
    LChChQR (tydym o ruchuqcuva) = 827 (2087)

The word order designates where what word should go in the sentence. Some languages have it strict, meaning it can’t be swapped, while some have it free, usually those that mark cases on their nouns. About half of the languages in the world (including the European ones) have SVO order – subject verb object (“I saw them”). Dogun, however, generally has VSO – verb subject object (“saw I them”).
    kaurah (verb) zu (subject) taku (object) = I see you (lit. “see I you”)
    catyh Axelus cituku (find Axelus path-ACC) = Axelus finds a way

Questions are an exception to this, they use SVO order (more on this in “Questions” section).
    sem kouh gaqe Dogunqar? (who speak in_front_of Dogun-LOC) = who speaks for the Doguns?
    Tirak khih Talokaqar? (Tirak reside Taloka-LOC) = does Tirack live in Taloka?
    Standard descriptions are made by placing the describing word after the subject (zero copula). If there is more than one, they are usually separated by conjunction “o” (and). Prepositional phrases go after the described noun as well.
    Dogun etau. (Dogun humanoid) = Doguns are humanoids.
    Dogun medo. (Dogun warm) = Doguns are warm/alive.
    Dogun medo o gamam. (Dogun warm and strong) = Dogun are warm and strong. (applies for all Doguns)
    Dogun medo gamam. (Dogun warm strong) = (Only) Warm Doguns are strong.
    Dogun vy Couragqar = a Dogun (is) in Courag[12]
    arzul za Talokaqar = a message (is) from Taloka

Negative description:
    Negation is made by placing the negative particle “on” before the describing words.
    Plario on enol! (Plario not cold) = Plario isn’t dead!
    Dogun amlauqenolehu on gamam. (Dogun trapped not strong) = Trapped Doguns aren’t strong

Negated descriptions are corrected by particle “zo”.
    zuke ha gaku on huzon zo lemil. (I-OBL POS house not big but small) = My house is not big, but small.

Comparison of descriptions in one sentence is separated by particle “ghu”.
    khih Aval pihouzqar, ghu zu tehouzqar. (reside Aval underground-LOC, whereas I surface-LOC) = Aval lives underground, but (/whereas) I do so on the surface.
    Aval Couragqar, ghu zu on. (Aval Courag-LOC, whereas I not.) = Aval is in Courag, but I’m not.
    Questions:
    Questions are made by inverting the order of verb and subject in the sentence (to SVO order, like in standard English sentences).
    In yes/no questions, the mood of the verb is changed to subjunctive, as the speaker is unsure.
    Plario rukaurah crkharku? (Plario SUB-see mountain-ACC?) = Does Plario see a mountain?
    ta rukleveh akh Couragqar? (you SUB-go to Courag-LOC) = Are you going to Courag?
    yku rumedo? (lava SUB-warm) = is lava warm?
    [13]
    Some of question words, which cannot be used as a subject or object of the sentence (e.g. where, when, why, what kind (asking about properties/description), are always placed at the beginning of the sentence in questions order, before the subject. Verbs don’t change mood, as the speaker knows about the actions being performed.
    sec Dogun amlauh? (why Dogun sleep) = Why do Doguns sleep?
    sequ Paku? (where Paku) = Where is Paku?
    sevy Gamam? (what_like Gamam?) = What is Gamam like?
    Others, like who/what or which are placed depending on whether they are subject or object, in corresponding places. “Which” is placed before the word it’s linked to and becomes inflected (as object) only when it stands alone.
    sem kheaqih garaku? (who do fire-ACC?) = Who makes fire?
    ta kaurah semku? (you see what-ACC?) = What do you see?
    ser gaku Plarioke? (which house Plario-OBL) = Which house is Plario’s?
    ta kouh ser koghamedoku? (you speak which language-ACC?) = Which language are you speaking?
    ta chisuh serku? (you read which-ACC?) = Which one are you reading?

These sentences are differentiated by particles “he” (orders, suggestions) or “ke” (wishes) at the beginning of a sentence, which is built in SVO order like questions. The verb mood is subjunctive, as these are neither statements nor facts.

Orders and suggestions can be addressed to 1st and 2nd (both singular and plural) persons. For 2nd person, the personal pronouns “ta” or “tan” are usually omitted.[14]
    he medo! (IMP warm) = Be warm/alive!
    he rukleveh! (IMP SUB-go) = Go!
    he zun rukleveh! (IMP we SUB-go) = Let’s go!
    he rurypah zuku kaghdatke! (IMP SUB-give I-ACC letter-OBL) = Give the letter to me!

This does not apply to wishes, which can be addressed to any person, and personal particles are not omitted there.
    ke ta medo! (may you warm) = May you be warm/alive!; used as a greeting
    ke ta rukhozah (may you SUB-know) = I wish you knew (it)
    ke Arzul rurypah kaghdatku zuke (may Arzul SUB-give letter-ACC I-OBL) = I wish Arzul gave me the letter

Comparisons are made by putting the object of comparison in oblique case after the adjective in comparative. Quantity of difference is described by a numeral or other quantity word in locative case.
    yku medonu enoploke. (lava warm-COMP water-OBL) = Lava is hotter than water.
    courag unan huzonnu chorqar itizenke (city new big-COMP 5-LOC old-OBL) = The new city is five times bigger than the old one.
    teqetaun lemilnu kuzogqar rukmaqetaunke (dwarf-PL small-COMP many-LOC villager-PL-OBL) = Dwarves are way smaller than Villagers
    .​

Possession is done by particle “ha”, similarly to English “of” or “-’s”. The possessor comes before the possessee, meaning instead of “Courage of Axelus” or (more closely) “Axelus’ courage” you say “Axelus of courage” (Akseluske ha paku).
    ungike ha ievem (beginning-OBL POS place) = Place of beginning
    Drhake ha khizin (earth-OBL POS child-PL) = Earth’s children/children of the Earth
    Dogunke ha koghamedo (Dogun-OBL POS language) = Dogun’s language/language of the Doguns
    This refers to a way of making new words from other ones, usually via an affix. A common example is English “worker”, which is made of verb “to work” and suffix “-er”.

Agent (from verb):
    The doer of the verb, “one who does x”. Made with suffix “-qira”.
    khozah (to know) -> khozahqira (one who knows)[15]
    amlauqenoleh (to be imprisoned) -> amlauqenolehqira (prisoner)

Place (from noun or verb):
    The location where the thing is stored, or the action happens. English example would be “baking” -> “bakery”. It is marked via suffix “-ag”.
    cour (calmness) -> courag (home)

Result (from verb):
    The result of the action. The final “-h” of the verb is changed to “-t”.
    kaghdah (to write) -> kaghdat (writing, a letter)
    vyriosuh (to think about sth) -> vyriosut (an idea)

Whole of something (from noun):
    A collection of something. Made with suffix “-lau”.
    crkhar (a mountain) -> crkharlau (a mountain range)
    unanqetau (a human) -> unanqetaulau (humanity)

A property (from noun):
    Used to make a property of something, basically English “-ness” or “-ity”. Made with suffix “-va”.
    iksal (weak) -> iksalva (weakness)
    iscor (wise) -> iscorva (wisdom)
    coco (similar) -> cocova (similarity)

An action (from verb):
    The action of the verb itself. Made with suffix “-ol”.
    chspah (to wait) -> chspahol (waiting)
    kouh (to speak) -> kouhol (speaking)
    Related action (from noun):
    Fairly straightforward. An English example is “fish” (noun) and “to fish” (verb) or “game” and “to game”. Marked with a suffix “-h”, a vowel (usually “a” or “e”) is inserted if a word ends with a consonant.
    gara (fire) -> garah (to burn)
    lycom (light) -> lycomah (to light (sth up))
    Related property (from noun):
    Describes a noun’s property. An English example is “wood” and “wooden” or “dog” as an animal itself vs. “dog” for example in “dog food”. Marked with suffix “-(i)m”.
    yku (lava) -> ykum (lava (as in lava lake))
    limik (plant) -> limikim (plant (as in plant oil))

Present participle (from verb):
    Used to describe the object is in state of doing the action. An equivalent for English present continuous verbs used as adjectives, as in “a running man”. Marked with suffix “-u”.
    garah (to burn) -> garahu (burning)
    piqih (to win) -> piqihu (winning)

Past participle (from verb):
    Similar to above, but with the object having finished the action. An equivalent for English past participle verbs used as adjectives, as in “a sent letter”. Marked with suffix “-om”.
    kaghdah (to write) -> kaghdahom (written)
    doguh (to free) -> doguhom (freed)
    Unlike English, which uses “before” and “after” to show time relation, Dogun uses “above” (“te”) and “under” (“pi”) respectively. The unit of time gets the locative case ending.
    pi rum lycaqar = Two days ago
    te map onlycaqar = In six nights

Appendices:
    (please note that some of the information is purely our head canon and thus might sometimes contradict the current canon, though we mostly tried to only fill blank spaces)

The Doguns are a race of rock-based life forms from the Minecraft server Wynncraft, living in the Molten Heights in Gavel.

Biologically, they are made of three main parts: The core (medar), which serves as the brain and heart and is located in the chest and has offshoots to the rest of the body, the inner magma (vydepa), which composes the insides, and the outer shell (dralez) which gives the Dogun form. They are dependent on their internal heat (hamedo), the more they have, the healthier and stronger they are. If they have little, they will be weak and rock-like, until their core shuts down and they die.

They are a peaceful nation, valuing community and well-being of other above everything else. Although they live in several settlements, they consider themselves one community. They put heavy emphasis on community activities and rituals.
    The Dogun Decorum is a document describing the highest principles of Dogun society. Please note that we have modified it to fit our headcanon a bit better.

Zun Dogun, Drhake ha o Garake ha khizin. Zunke ha korziva o michaiva huzonnunu ioruke medo houzqar.

Zunke ha ghipo ghoh korzi zunke ha ghipoku medoh. Onhaqiksalah zun imu onvurih zun kleveh enolke ha cituqar.

Zunke ha onmichai akku zunke ha dochva, imu du zun rukorzi, onhakyzmeh onsem zunke ha medoku. Ai deat ruqochuvnah zunke ha citun, ghoh zun korzi. Ul chiletke, nyvouh oncocova korzivaqar dy, ai uri ghoh zunke ha korziva medarunqar. Zaghougazah o rypah zun ypryqku.

Haprausuh zun drhaku zunke ha khihagke ul zunke ha kohsoke. Zunke ha gakun lemil ai medo. Lyghem ai zyhep. Onvyriosuh zun zunke ha kheaqitke imu zun on hethim.

Onsem on khucumnu hikhuke. Deat zunke ha gamamva on coco, zunke ha doguva din. Onvurih zun hetheh o zogoghah, igm kighpih oroqo. Pynoh zun michaivaku kuzognu ioruke.

Izo zun, rucigh Dogun, Cughrunke Garam ha ratkehqiran.
    Zun Dogun, Drhake ha o Garake ha khizin. Zunke ha korziva o michaiva huzonnunu ioruke medo houzqar.
    we Dogun.PL, Earth-OBL POS and Fire-OBL POS child-PL. We-OBL POS unity and friendship big-SUP all-OBL living world-LOC
    We are Doguns, children of Earth and Fire. Our unity and friendship is the greatest of all living beings in this world.

Zunke ha ghipo ghoh korzi zunke ha ghipoku medoh. Onhaqiksalah zun imu onvurih zun kleveh enolke ha cituqar.
    we-OBL POS desire to_remain united we-OBL POS desire-ACC to_live. NEG-POT-weaken we because NEG-want we to_go cold-OBL POS path-LOC.
    Our desire to remain united is our desire to live. We cannot weaken because we do not want to travel the path of cold.

Zunke ha onmichai akku zunke ha dochva, imu du zun rukorzi, onhakyzmeh onsem zunke ha medoku. Ai deat ruqochuvnah zunke ha citun, ghoh zun korzi. Ul chiletke, nyvouh oncocova korzivaqar dy, ai uri ghoh zunke ha korziva medarunqar. Zaghougazah o rypah zun ypryqku.
    we-OBL POS enemy only we-OBL POS soul, because if we SUB-united, NEG-POT-destroy nothing we-OBL POS life-ACC. But even if SUB-say_farewell we-OBL POS path-PL, remain we united. With regret-OBL, happen discord unity-LOC too, but even_then remain we-OBL POS unity core-PL-LOC. Forgive and give we salutation-ACC.
    Our only enemy is our soul, because if we are united, nothing can destroy our life. But even if our paths separate, we remain united. Regrettably, discord happens too, but even then our unity remains in our cores. We forgive and we welcome back.

Haprausuh zun drhaku zunke ha khihagke ul zunke ha kohsoke. Zunke ha gakun lemil ai medo. Lyghem ai zyhep. Onvyriosuh zun zunke ha kheaqitke imu zun on hethim.
    POT-change we earth-ACC we-OBL POS settlement-OBL with we-OBL POS magic-OBL. we-OBL POS house-PL small but warm. simple but durable. NEG-think_about we we-OBL POS work-OBL because we no imperious.
    With our magic we can change the earth into our settlement. Our houses are small but warm. Simple but durable. We do not think about our work because we are not imperious.

Onsem on khucumnu hikhuke. Deat zunke ha gamamva on coco, zunke ha doguva din. Onvurih zun hetheh o zogoghah, igm kighpih oroqo. Pynoh zun michaivaku kuzognu ioruke.
    No_one no important-CMP other-OBL. Even_though we-OBL POS strength not equal, we-OBL POS freedom yes. NEG-want we to_rule and to_make_war, only to_take_care_of each_other. value we friendship-ACC a_lot-COMP everything
    No one is more important that another. Even though our strength is not equal, our freedom is. We do not want to rule or make war, only to take care of each other. We value friendship above everything else.

Izo zun, rucigh Dogun, Cughrunke Garam ha ratkehqiran.
    this we, nation Dogun, Molten Heights-OBL POS creator-PL
    This is us, the Dogun nation, creators of the Molten Heights.
    (note: it is based on the Czech version, so there might be some differences)

Zunke ha Rasta, ser evekhqar,
    ke Take ha hakogha dap,
    ke Take ha gaku ruqakhkleveh,
    ke Take ha ghipo ruqiquh,
    evekhqar o drhaqar.
    He rurypah zunke ha mogaku lycaqar
    o he ruzaghougazah zunke ha lepiku,
    khis zaghougazah zun zunke ha lepiqirake
    o he onghriqoh zunku pionloqar,
    ai he ruhrvoh zunku zrkheke.
    Imu Take ha gaku o hethva o camzu, ulqitiz,
    amen.

Zunke ha Rasta, sem evekhqar
    we-OBL POS parent, who heaven-LOC,
    Our Parent (Father) who is in heavens,

ke take ha hakogha dap,
    may you-OBL POS name holy,
    may your name be holy,

ke take ha gaku ruqakhkleveh
    may you-OBL POS house SUB-come
    may your house (kingdom) come

ke take ha ghipo ruqiquh
    may you-OBL POS will become
    may your will be
    may your will be

evekhqar o drhaqar.
    heaven-LOC and earth-LO
    in the heavens and the earth

He rurypah zunke ha mogaku lycaqar
    IMP SUB-give we-OBL POS food-ACC day-LOC
    Give us our daily meal

o he ruzaghougazah zunke ha lepiku
    and IMP SUB-forgive we-OBL guilt-ACC
    and forgive us our sins

khis zaghougazah zun zunke ha lepiqirake
    like forgive we we-OBL POS one_who_is_guilty-OBL
    like we forgive those who sin

o he onghriqoh zunku pionloqar
    and IMP NEG-bring we-ACC temptation-LOC
    and don’t bring us into temptation

ai he ruhrvoh zunku zrkheke.
    but IMP SUB-protect we-ACC bad-OBL
    but protect us from the bad (evil)

Imu take ha gaku o hethva o camzu, onqitiz
    because you-OBL POS house and lordship and glory, eternal
    for yours is house(kingdom) and power and glory forever

amen.
    amen.
    Kyzmehkorzih hileq ghamu o sidio, nar sem gamamnu. Akhkleveh cituqira ul pulnakke medo. Khonkorzih non, nar za semke zapulnakah nokh, iquh no gamamnu hikhuke. Hileh hileq ghamu gamam, khis haruh no, ai ul hileh no gamamnunu, ropulnakah cituqira nokhke ha pulnakku kuzognu. O khasah hileq ghamu noke ha ghesku. Nea lycomah sidio medo o zapulnakah cituqira itizqar lemil. O zoghneh hileq ghamu morqouh, nar sidio gamamnu noku.

Kyzmehkorzih hileq ghamu o sidio, nar sem gamamnu. Akhkleveh cituqira ul pulnakke medo.
    argue wind chief and sun, that who strong-COMP. Come traveller with clothing-OBL warm.
    The North Wind and the Sun were disputing which was the stronger, when a traveler came along wrapped in a warm cloak.

Khonkorzih non, nar za semke zapulnakah nokh, iquh no gamamnu hikhuke.
    agree they, that from who-OBL take_off_clothing they-OBV, become they strong-COMP other-OBL.
    They agreed that the one who first succeeded in making the traveler take his cloak off should be considered stronger than the other.

Hileh hileq ghamu gamam, khis haruh no, ai ul hileh no gamamnunu, ropulnakah cituqira nokhke ha pulnakku kuzognu.
    blow wind chief strong, like can they, but with blow they strong-SUP, put_on traveller they POS clothing-ACC a_lot-COMP.
    Then the North Wind blew as hard as he could, but the more he blew the more closely did the traveler fold his cloak around him;

O khasah hileq ghamu noke ha ghesku. Nea lycomah sidio medo o zapulnakah cituqira itizqar lemil.
    And stop wind chief they-OBL POS attempt-ACC. then shine sun warm and take_off_clothing traveller time-LOC small.
    and at last the North Wind gave up the attempt. Then the Sun shined out warmly, and immediately the traveller took off his cloak.

O zoghneh hileq ghamu morqouh, nar sidio gamamnu noku.
    And have_to wind chief accept, that sun strong-COMP they-ACC.
    And so the North Wind was obliged to confess that the Sun was the stronger of the two.
    dogprayer_20230322.jpg
    Good luck.
    Greetings/Farewells:
    ke ta medo (may you warm) = casual, equivalent to “hello” (may you be warm)
    onlyca medo (night warm) = “good night” (warm night)
    ke ta ruqamlauh goul (may you SUB-sleep good) = “good night” (more formal) (may you sleep well)
    ke Medodrha ruhrvoh take ha cituku (may Earth SUB-protect you-OBL POS path-ACC) = formal farewell (may Earth protect your path)

Requests:
    teteh zu taku… (ask_for I you-ACC) = Please do… (I ask you for…)
    ke ta rurypah medo ku (may you SUB-give warmth-ACC) = somewhat formal request (may you give warmth)
    krpih zu (thank I) = thanks
    ke Medodrha rurypah medoku take (may Earth SUB-give warmth-ACC you-OBL) = formal thanks (may Earth give you warmth)

Insults:
    he rumedoh take ha rukmaku (IMP SUB-make_warm you-OBL POS head-ACC) = light, equivalent to “you are stupid” (make your head warm)
    noke ha rukma khahom (they-OBL POS head turned_off) = they are acting dumb (their head is ended/turned off)

Other:
    ro crkharke ha rukmaqar (on mountain-OBL POS head-LOC) = really far away(at mountain’s head)
    rukmake ha imiqa (head-OBL POS matter) = seemingly important thing which is actually a detail[16] (matter of head)
    plunyh noke ha dralez (get_lost they-OBL POS outer_shell) = they went missing (their shell got lost)
    medorypahqira = an altruist (one who gives heat)
    ke no runyvouh (may it SUB-happen) = may it happen; usually said to confirm an agreement
    These are words that appear ingame. Some of them (notably the most recent ones) had to be adapted so that they comply with the language rules, in which case the original will be put into parentheses.
    • Garaheth = Fire lord
    • Dogun = Free, liberated
    • Courag = Home, place of calmness
    • Taloka = Connection
    • Plario = Peace
    • Korzim = One who unites
    • Aval = Swift
    • Paku = Brave
    • Gamam = Strong
    • Desintu (Desint) = Advancement
    • Iscor = Wise
    • Astal = Fair, Righteous
    • Ineqos (Ineos) = Flame
    • Arzul = Message
    • Edac = Energetic
    • Sidio = Sun
    • Reatin (Raetin) = Ash
    • Tirak (Tirack) = Help, aid
    • Delgu (Delg) = Hope

[1] The biology of Doguns is highly uncertain. A "fantasy” version would mean that they are humans but from stone and thus have the apparatus to speak. Realistic one would mess with silicon-based organisms and all that stuff, which would probably still end up in the inability to speak. One possible way would be to have something similar to “whistle” languages, except it would be transmitted through the earth.
    [2] You will see later; these are nerd terms.
    [3] Also, I swear I started learning Arabic after we did this.
    [4] A common misconception is that phonology and orthography are the same thing. And while they are completely separate disciplines, they can be equally cursed.
    [5] This was really fun to deal with while we were making the phonology from ingame names; for the syllabic consonants thank Garaheth.
    [6] Not to be confused with /θ/ which usually uses this digraph.
    [7] We are aware that there is an ingame writing, but we decided to go with our own after some experimentation. Feel free to suggest how it could look like. One fun way could be a logography similar to Chinese.
    [8] Please note that not every writing system is an alphabet. This term refers to a specific system where every sound has a letter (or group of letters). There are also syllabaries which have one “letter” for every syllable or even a word.
    [9] Although in abjads vowels are technically optional, we still use them.
    [10] except the few translations and examples showing the moods, of course
    [11] This is actually two comparative markers “-nu“ joined together, which is a phenomenon called reduplication.
    [12] Note that there are two valid versions of the translation – a prepositional phrase („Dogun in Courag“) and a full sentence („Dogun is in Courag“)
    [13] someone please correct me if this not the correct name
    [14] IMP = imperative
    [15] now you are khozahqiras too
    [16] note that Doguns’ important organs are (in our headcanon) in the chest, head is there only because of other races

Credits:
    @Crepel - language docs review
    @hmtn - language docs review
    @StinkEyeCookie - language docs review
    Conlang Fandom discord - language help

Attached Files:

2. Willfur

Willfur Well-Known Adventurer

Minecraft:
    trap, i love you

TrapinchO likes this.
  3. hmtn

hmtn Archivist of the Realm VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    it's finally here
    overwhelming w
    ize evekhim

TrapinchO likes this.
  4. BrokenRealities

BrokenRealities Undefined Variable

Guild:
    Minecraft:
  5. shtnck eyh ckhhe

shtnck eyh ckhhe Jesus of Nether-eth

Minecraft:
    WOOHOO it's out

Rypah koghamedo khorpehom izo medoku zuke.

TrapinchO likes this.
  6. shacers

shacers no longer replying VIP+

Minecraft:
    omg its happening again.

i saw some glimpses of this in discord but holy

7. TrapinchO

Minecraft:
    should've make it a suggestion

shtnck eyh ckhhe likes this.
  8. TrapinchO

Minecraft:
    bump10chars

9. TrapinchO

Minecraft:
    bumping for doguns

10. TrapinchO

Minecraft:
    bumping...

11. TrapinchO

Minecraft:
    bump more

12. TrapinchO

Minecraft:
    I wonder why people chose "on" option in the poll...

13. shtnck eyh ckhhe

shtnck eyh ckhhe Jesus of Nether-eth

Minecraft:
    :( they have no appreciation for language

14. TrapinchO

Minecraft:
    or didn't look properly

15. hmtn

hmtn Archivist of the Realm VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    bumperinoino

TrapinchO likes this.
  16. Cormac Oissine

Cormac Oissine Assassin HERO

Minecraft:
    This is really cool, but before I get started memorising this, are their any traditional dogun curses I should be aware of?

TrapinchO likes this.
  17. TrapinchO

Minecraft:
    Not really, the society doesn't curse a lot.

There is "he rumedoh take ha rukmaku", which is the equivalent of "you are stupid" and some really heavy curses that are not listed (for obvious reasons), but not much more than that.

Of course, you can get creative if you want.

18. Cormac Oissine

Cormac Oissine Assassin HERO

Minecraft:
    why thank you kind sir.

19. TrapinchO

Minecraft:
    you are welcome :)

also check Ancient Wynnic, though it is less developed in terms of usability (and vocab), it is really fun conlang

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.