Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Build Alnwick Castle| Minecraft Build

Discussion in 'Your Work' started by Qulaey, Jul 26, 2020.

?

Good or bad?

1. good

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. bad

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. 52

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. CHERRY PIE

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qulaey

Qulaey weeb

Minecraft:
    Been working on this project the last few weeks. Busy at work and not much time to play other games, so I'd thought I revisit minecraft instead.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

General comments and feedback is much appreciated.

Tsukiji, Enduh, Papa Cthulhu and 5 others like this.
  2. Hypochloride

Hypochloride Well-Known Adventurer Builder

Creator Karma:
    i like the build overall, i think the layout is too messy and boring imo, its just houses trees and a castle, it looks like you planned the castle perfectly and decided to randomly paste some houses where there is flat space, id also like if you to mix some dirt patches in the grass where people may have walked on it alotand maybe make the castle stone texturing a bit more interesting rather than it being just plain gray, you can add some mossy stone in small patches if you want too, overall, the build is good, youre good at everything i think you may struggle a bit in composition tho

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Qulaey likes this.
  3. Moshimoo

Moshimoo Bird furry turned civilised

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Honestly I think it would've looked better with less attention to the ground, seeing as from what I can see you've avoided the use of grass at all and instead opted to use Green Terracotta/Clay, Green Concrete powder & Green Wool, which while it is nice, have a very flat look where the grass hasn't been world edited in, and then even then the grass doesn't blend in very well on the clay. It also could've done with some paths to break up the green a little more too.

Some parts of it are also looking a bit flat which could've been improved with maybe some better texturing/placement and in contrast to some of the houses' roofs look quite odd. Also the trees seem like a mish-mash of different styles, almost as if some of them don't belong there.

Overall though, its a pretty good build & better than average, though probably could've been improved in certain areas and it kind of toes the territory of trying too hard to be detailed/extra/whatever with the ground.

Qulaey likes this.
  4. Qulaey

Qulaey weeb

Minecraft:
    Thanks for your feeback, I really apreciate you taking your time to leave a comment! You are right, the houses were built separately then pasted in places that would not obstruct the view of the castle. What would you suggest me to do to make the placement of houses seem less random and more deliberate? Im not sure on how composition could be improved either, you said that I lacked points of interest. What else do you think I could add?
    Again, thanks for the feedback! The mish mash of trees is meant to be more realistic, since there is going to be more than one species of tree growing in a forest. Yes I do agree more pathing and other "signs of life" such as shopfronts and little tends is needed to break up the terrain and help the build become more lively. As for the trees the looks definitely outweigh realism, so I would probably revert to an older version of the build where there was only one species of tree.

The flat area without grass was reserved for a server spawn platform as this was intended to be a lobby for a server, again when I deliver this build to the server owner, I'll change it according to how many portals he needs.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  5. Hypochloride

Hypochloride Well-Known Adventurer Builder

Creator Karma:
    make the entrances more inviting, maybe add stairs or something close to that leading to the entrance of the build, i didnt realize the flat space was for a lobby spawn apologies, the third picture, the house doesnt seem inviting at all it looks pasted, maybe you can improve on that by adding stairs leading to the entrance, or path stairs maybe? you can do the same to the other houses aswell

if you could, you could also add a small port with boats tho you dont have to, just to improve the overall atmosphere and aesthetic

Qulaey likes this.
  6. Qulaey

Qulaey weeb

Minecraft:
    Thanks! That clears things up alot.

Hypochloride likes this.
  7. Braadley

Braadley Travelled Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    I love the build, keep up the good work! :)

Qulaey likes this.
  8. Qulaey

Qulaey weeb

Minecraft:

Braadley likes this.
  9. CACKFLAKSTACK

CACKFLAKSTACK haha very funny heheh heheh

Yo, cool build! The small error you did was the first two images I can see the green wool at the entrance and it doesn't smoothen at the end (like I can see it goes past the grass underneath it). Also, the entrance's terrain is pretty empty like put some grass or sum (Idk like those ring of water with a bridge thing lol)

10. kojirobin

kojirobin ♧ the local (broke) emerald dealer VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    It looks amazing!! Contrary to the other person, I think you should keep different species of trees in, but the very big less leafy trees look out of place compared to the other spruces and oaks, so I feel like you could make it a bit smaller to put it in place.

The trees also belittle the size of the castle and mountain so making them smaller would definitely bring the attention and wonder to the castle.

I also agree with using grass and grass types (such as podzol and using leaves and fences for bushes), coarse dirt, paths etc. Because well, grass is the block for terrain, and... grass. Lol
    Although the wool and terracotta look very nice, it just really puts the grass tiles out of place... Concrete powder is ok because of its sandy texture but I think getting rid of the terracotta and wool could be for the better.
    You should also introduce flowers, I think especially the azure bluets, dandelions and tulips, it would make a contrast with all the green around.

Anyways, great build, I could not make anything as close to good as this, I love it. 28/29

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.