1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

[5000th Post Special] My Thoughts on the Wynncraft Community

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by WithTheFish, Sep 5, 2021.

Tags:
  1. WithTheFish

WithTheFish you are amazing CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    So yeah, 5000 posts. Really never thought I'd hit this milestone, but here we are. I felt like for an occasion such as this, I needed to make a really special post, but I had no clue what to do. At first I planned on making a review of Wynncraft, but I have become so clouded by nostalgia I don't think I can properly analyze the game. So why not just "review" the community?

If you've been around the forums long enough, chances are you had a... certain post in mind when you clicked on this thread. A post dedicated to criticizing the community so it can improve. So is this gonna be one of those threads? Read on to find out.

Lets start by talking about a video that showed up in my recommended.
    [​IMG]
    Holy shit, I recognize this dude. Sure enough, @MagicGum , even though he hasn't been online in over a month, was once an active player on this server. Pretty awesome how he's branched out and made some really cool videos.

Think of the community as a large high school cafeteria. You have all those groups sitting together, gaining and losing members, but every year, a lot of them always leave. And I kinda feel that with Wynncraft. I've been active in the start of the community since 2014, and with the exception of the admin trio, Oculus, Selvut, Beefandleather, and maybe one or two others, everyone I knew from then is gone. Occasionally someone from the old days pops in for a bit but it rarely seems like a permanent. Hell, you can argue I'm popping back in for a bit after a long break, considering I "quit" for all of 2017 pretty much.

And it's honestly weird how much the landscape has changed over the years. I remember early 2014, with the forums royalty of Fibunny, Ahri/Lovelusting, and JJTH. The 2015 era of Smashbox. The "active players" skype chat in 2016. The discord community's rise in 2017. The class builders of 2018. With the exception of the two most recent groups I just listed, a vast majority of those people are gone. Not from all community contact, mind you, groups of old still keep in touch in discords, but as an outsider I've seen so many cool people leave. It's weird and kinda sad. It's also kinda interesting to speculate what they'll do next. Maybe some of them will go far like MagicGum did, and maybe a lot of them will forget about this place.

I remember back in 2019, Salted commented on the same thing. He said that he was a part of communities that changed drastically, and that felt so odd. And man, I feel that. Back when I was on the mod team (remember that lol) there would always be people who leave the team in one way or another, as you all have clearly seen. And given that each member was a significant part of the group in their own way, the departure of any person makes things so different. If you've been in a guild or small-sized community, you've felt this too.

There's a thought experiment, called the Ship of Theseus (yeah I know I sound like an idiot talking about philosophical concepts on a minecraft server, but bear with me). It says that if you replace parts of a ship until every part is replaced, is it still the same ship? I feel like you can kinda say the same thing about the community of this minecraft server. I truly think things have changed THAT much. We are not the same community of long ago that many of us idolize, and I don't think any of us can change that. We just gotta deal with it. Every year, I see countless people in the community just shitting on wynn and its playerbase, and man, all you're doing is making stuff more toxic. Focusing this much on a group you dislike that's not actively harming you is just unhealthy.

And this brings me to my central point. Remember when I said that a lot of you probably expected this thread to have "certain content" based on the title? That's because many iconic threads with titles like this have been made, criticizing the community. I've even kinda made some myself. And in my hours of greatest frustration, I've wanted to make ones encompassing the entire community, but truth is... I can't. Because I firmly believe our community isn't flawed.

Back in 2014, the community was at its height. Everyone was generally nice to one another, competition and toxicity were at their low point, and the forums were the most active they've ever been. Obviously, this isn't the case anymore. But are you surprised? The game has evolved so much and gotten so many new elements based around competition. Of course not everyone's friendly towards one another all the time. Any game with elements of competition is bound to have a flawed community to some degree I think. Next, our community is comprised primarily of teenagers. Teenagers are horny as hell and fight about stuff all the time (source: I am a teenager), so of course people are gonna be horny and fight about stuff. I'm shocked we've lasted this long considering the people enforcing the rules are also mainly teenagers.
    (side note, I truly think the mod team is very good here, to the point where I'd say the only massive slip-up in the past 5 years was the shit I got rightfully demoted for)

Oh, but what about like, supposed guild doxxers and people who send death threats? Fuck them, if you've done that shit to a player in the community fuck you. But Wynn has had like over 2 million people. Naturally we've had some abysmal people join. Saying the community is bad just because of like less than a hundred people who've done bad stuff, and those people would probably be condemned by the rest of the community.

Yes, we are not in the golden age of the community. Yes, I definitly think things went downhill once an element of competition in guilds was added. But we are not below sea level yet. I have seen this community act amazing towards one another time and time again. We've had bumps along the way for sure, as evidenced by the multiple "bad community" threads I've referenced. But every time, we've either moved on, pulled through, or all worked to make things better. So yeah. Our community isn't bad. It's not great. It's just some normal, online group of people that happens to all have had a common interest at one point.

I know this thread was kind of all over the place, but I really just wanted to get my thoughts out about this. Chances are you'll probably have a much different opinion. Personally, I've seen some really great stuff here, and I love it on Wynn. I've heard some amazing community stories, including one where two people got married... but I don't think that's exclusive to Wynn. This community isn't the best or worst place in my opinion, at least compared to other parts of the internet, but in terms of Wynncraft, it's been this special anchor that's managed to keep so many people invested. In a way, it kinda serves as the role-play part of the MMORPG, given all these merchants, warrers, adventurers, theorists, artists, woodcutters, and legends I've seen.

It's just this place that I happened to really get invested in, and I wouldn't have it any other way. It's what kept me on this I've made so many friends and memories here, and I guess this thread is a way of commemorating all of that.

So if you're reading this, thank you for being a part of my adventure.

2. oinuk

oinuk c lown

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    wtf (with the fivethousandposts)

3. Samsam101

Samsam101 These Raffle Time Placements are Pissing me off... CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    i feel as though the true impossible trophy is troms poster

4. Tealy

Tealy ⬡ Busy ⬡ CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    I dont think Ive ever read one of these types of threads and not only felt compelled to read it in its entirety, but agreed with literally everything. Well said, @WithTheFish

5. JaydonTheWarrior

JaydonTheWarrior Shaggy. HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Some of them never really leave huh?
    Though, seriously know how you feel.
    So many friend groups, and sub-communities slowly fall apart. I remember back in 2015 when the guild I owned, DxR, slowly died off, alot of friends left the server, and instead of letting go of it, I held on to it, staying in an inactive guild for years upon years. It was kinda sad, I felt, left behind for lack of better words.

I suppose that's time though, things change.

6. Lyrasak Aethera

Lyrasak Aethera The war has only begun...

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    its like my hypixel guild discord but 10x more chaotic

7. Bart (MC)

Bart (MC) Local IM (MC) Item Team HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    wise words from withthefish as always

for me i've also essentially been part of like, 3 eras of wynn, if you can call them that? back in 2016 mainly on forums, with all the discovery, theory, event and discussion threads (also shoutbox- i still recognize a few people from way back when i was active in that for hours on end nowadays), after that the 2018-2019 era where the forums was moreso used to document projects or guides & most of the discussion and fun stuff moved over to the discord, and the era we're now in where the forums have dried up more than i've ever seen (until very recently, actually- are we seeing the start of a revival?) and the discord kinda imploded into itself post-1.20 where a large majority of the active users there left and new people filled that gap

definitely definitely have both seen and experienced up and downs in community from both receiving and delivering end, but overall that doesn't mean that you can't have an excellent time in wynn and the incredible spirit the community has always had is most definitely still alive nowadays, mostly in more personal wynn-related discord servers

i do think there are reasonable complaints to make about parts of the community and that it is worth doing so at some point, but i could only shape it as more of a call for everyone to rally back to the forums as i do think that the forums has always allowed for the best atmosphere and people distancing itself has shown to negatively impact things in the past, but that's really not relevant here and now

as i kind of consider myself to be an old player as well at this point (~3.5 total years of mostly continuous activity), i've been starting to also feel the typical exhaustion and dissatisfaction that i've found in many other old players, though i can't imagine myself actually leaving the "wynn sphere" anytime soon. i think i'll take a moment to go through old posts/screenshots and reminisce later today, i'm glad to have been around here for the time it's been with you and everyone else, here's to the old friends not losing contact and the newcomers being awesome.

Stag2001, ThedumbOX, Fleega and 3 others like this.
  8. btdmaster

btdmaster Famous Adventurer VIP

Minecraft:
  9. WithTheFish

Minecraft:
    oh man, glancing at that last thread makes me want ingame community events back :(

10. Jackkoh

Jackkoh King of The Southern Earth VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    oh yes you finally did it

11. Salted

Salted Game Design & Wynncraft Founder Staff Member Admin GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    that's true and very much what is constantly happening. about 10k players logs into wynn daily, but 1.5k of those are also playing for their very first time. and since our player count is stable, it also means 1.5k players leaves every single day. it's apparently a regular process that happens in active communities. it doesn't feel good at all to see a community you love change and leave you behind (it happened to me a bunch of times), but at the same time, it's impossible to keep 100% of all players active and engaged in the community forever. so I see this flux and constant change as a mostly positive process needed to keep the community alive, even if it has its downsides. as long as people make long-term friends and memories from it, their version of the community they know and love is never fully dead.

good thread and also youtube has been suggesting this video to me for weeks now and I didn't even realise it was made by an old wynn player, cool stuff

12. nip nop

nip nop i like ava CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    didnt you do exactly that?

13. WithTheFish

Minecraft:
    You’re correct, I did do that and I did have that mindset in the past and I definitely regret it. Back when I made that thread I absolutely had the mindset of wanting to bring back the old community, but over the past few months, and after seeing some replies to that post, I changed my mindset to what it is today. Still you’re right, I was one of those toxic players I talked about, and I am sorry for making posts that put down other players.

14. Fleega

Fleega Sleeping Ultimate Chimera CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Great thread, Fish.
    As things go on, change is inevitable, some good, some bad, that's just the way it is. Though things may not be the same, the memories of the past are still worth cherishing, though some may be bittersweet or even painfully so to look back at in some cases. Interactions with the community these days may feel very different to how they used to, but there is still plenty of opportunity to meet incredible people, sure that also means there's the bad ones, but you've just got to deal with that sometimes, that's just how it goes.
    You were always cool when you were a moderator and even now you're still incredible, I'm personally glad to have met people like you through this game. Knowing so many people that have left forever without a trace or even as much as a goodbye, or... even managed to flip around to a less favourable person is painful, but there's still so many that continue to stick around and are still a pleasure to see.

15. RamonaFlowers

RamonaFlowers Subspace Delivery Girl CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I like your analogy between the community and the Ship of Theseus. I find it accurate, and my thoughts are similar to what Salted has explained, so I won't explain further in my reply.

Thanks for mentioning me as an "old player"! I've been here for exactly 8 years now, and looking back, it's mind boggling how much time I've put into this game, and how much time I dedicated it to my involvement in this server. Like you and many others, I have witnessed the server's history firsthand, talked to hundreds of people, and made thousands of acquaintances. From my viewpoint, I found it difficult to imagine that so many of the old players have left completely. It would be kind of hard to forget about a server you spent a huge chunk of your early days on, correct? But here we are, with only a sliver of the old community still around. I can't even think of more than ten people that joined in 2013, who are still active today. Maybe no more than five for the forums.

When you have been involved in a server for nearly a decade, it is very easy for you to develop a mindset that believes the community to be perfect. I myself have been a proponent of this idea in my youth. I blindly supported the server no matter what. I compared it to other servers and made disparaging remarks for their communities. In my eyes, I truly believed this community to be perfect. Flawless. I became an indefatigable defender of the community as a whole, and my obsessive devotion has made me blind to any shortcomings that surfaced. I wasn't alone, for there were many others like me during those early years. When you love something so much, you will stay active for many years, just to see it develop and grow. Reality, or perhaps maturity, came to bite a few years later when I realized that the old community was not going to be here forever. The façade of what I believed to be the best and most pristine MC community fell apart when most of us left due to personal circumstances and real life responsibilities. A few years went by after that happened, and pretty much no one is here anymore. The community has replaced itself over and over again and tens of thousands of new faces will call this server home.

I wouldn't say what I did back then was bad, or "cringe", or whatever. I reasoned my actions to be a product of that time, and like many others, the notion stemmed from our highly impressionable younger selves. It's difficult to imagine change, but what has to happen will happen. Today, I still look at 2013 till 2015 through nostalgia goggles: back when it seemed like everyone knew each other, the community was tightly knit, and the forums was an insane popularity contest. I definitely will not hold today's community to the same standards as the yesteryears, because the server became larger and the playerbase grew, so naturally sub-communities will form as the community becomes increasingly diversified in their areas of interest. I admit; deep down, I still hold a sense of longing for the old community to return, because it was them whom I associated myself with the most during its height.

Before I was involved in Wynn, I was active on a small SMP server, starting from early 2012. The server's main feature was multiple survival worlds accessed through a central hub world (that was itself a survival world), and all of them kept their maps unchanged since like, Beta 1.6, and one creative plot world. The server was run by three administrators and a few handpicked moderators, and the community itself was what made it memorable. It was easy to get to know the regular players and make friends with everyone, when the first thing you do after returning home from school every single day was to play on the server. The staff and the regulars all conversed with one another and played together, and we littered all of the worlds with cities, buildings, towns, and even embarked on ambitious megaprojects like building a massive highway, a huge train station, and a sky city. It was literally the first server I ever joined, and with my time spent there, I have gotten to know friends that I will never forget. I can't remember exactly why I stopped coming on there in late 2013 - all I recall was that I have been an avid watcher of CraftedMovie for a while, and joined Wynncraft out of curiosity. In 2020, I somehow managed to learn that the SMP staff created a discord and I joined it immediately. I introduced myself using my old username, and upon seeing usernames I recognized and also receiving DMs from people I used to play with, all the memories hit me like a truck. I was instantly reminded of my past experiences on the server, the people I hanged out with, the adventures we had, the creations we made. The server staff also kept a copy of the maps, hosted on a server using the exact same IP address. Flying around the map and seeing the buildings I made 9 years ago - the recollections I had was immense. After chatting with some of the members, I've come to learn that all of them have also stopped playing on the server sometime after I left, and moved on to other interests. Now, some are finishing high school, some are in college, and some have even started working. But all of us were in that discord because we all played together on the same server in the past, and made unforgettable memories.

The same fate that befell the small SMP server, will happen to Wynncraft eventually. It still has updates to push out for years to come, but after the game is complete, the future community will gradually dwindle until all that is left are a handful of regulars. The forum will become a relic of the past, and the discord a shell of its former self, after everyone has migrated to private discords. The community today will be nothing but a distant memory in the future, and the pioneer generation of players will be forgotten in an ocean of time. The players of today who hold Wynn to a high standard will undergo the exact same experience I did in five years time, after seeing people they know seemingly vanish without a trace and the community getting replaced by new faces once more. They will then reminisce the community they knew, like I did. They long for old friends to return, like I did. They realise that change is inevitable, and after growing up, undergo a period of reflection on the server through a more matured mind, like I did. Everyone must accept that everything will become different over time. It’s like the law of entropy. It may not be now, three years from now, or even decades, but eventually all great things must come to an end.

If I were given the chance to say something to myself from ten years ago, I would say: "be wild." Who cares what people think? Get active, be involved in all of the communities you're in, make friends with everyone, participate in events, take pictures, be a leader, have fun, and don't forget to focus on your real life responsibilities too. Plan ahead, make all the memories you can in order to cherish in the future, and try not to have any regrets, because one day, the people you know won't be active anymore.

16. ActualDaywalker

ActualDaywalker Ginger HERO

Minecraft:
    i do

17. MineMasterRC

MineMasterRC Travelled Adventurer VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    WDYM #guild_community is the peak of wynncraft and human society

MlecznyHuxel99 likes this.
  18. RamonaFlowers

RamonaFlowers Subspace Delivery Girl CHAMPION