Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Art direction

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by Epic_Chonker, Jul 29, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elysium_

Elysium_ Skilled Adventurer CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    what the fuck is going on with this thread

KingQwerty likes this.
  2. Samsam101

Samsam101 Star Walker GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    from the changelog:
    upload_2024-7-30_16-27-1.png

BethJerry and Deusphage like this.
  3. Galaxias

Galaxias wybel collector VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    real tho

4. SirBob27

SirBob27 professional moron, wynncraft noob, brokie

Minecraft:
    how does every single thread eventually evolve into an argument

5. Bwitty03

Bwitty03 Famous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    most of the new boss models would look wildly out of place because of the bevelling(?). not just being made of cuboids is a far bigger stylistic break than anything else in the new models
    View attachment 193879

honestly the only part of the grook model that seems more detailed than similar minecraft mobs is the seperate cuboid for the neck

the cow model's legs look a bit overdetailed to me but thats it for the passive mobs

6. Galaxias

Galaxias wybel collector VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    because people think they know more than deusphage or samsam101

7. Deusphage

Deusphage gruesome grue Modeler CHAMPION Builder

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Modellers. I am a modeller. I introduced myself as one of the modellers at the start of my first message.

I did not make his 2.1 model, but I did make a huge portion of the new models this update, including Annihilation. I am very familiar with the aesthetic we're going for.
    And while I didn't create Orphion, I am still very familiar with his character and intricacies, given I contribute to the lore of the game.

Your preferences aren't Wynncraft's, I stated Wynncraft is not a vanilla+ mod to emphasize the fact that we aren't catering to your specific desires, nor are we looking to be "vanilla+".

It's simply true. We're not going to alter the aesthetic, and I fully intend to model as many enemies and creatures as I can, including all of the stuff that uses vanilla mobs.

Yet you ask for us not to change the vanilla animals. While you're not demanding, you're asking for us to do things differently.

Yes please

Dr Zed likes this.
  8. Epic_Chonker

Epic_Chonker Well-Known Adventurer

Thanks. These credits are actually cooked, though.
    support.png
    I looked through the changelogs from 2.1-1.19 and there are several things that don't get credited to anyone, such as the entirety of 2.0's remodels (redbeard, charon and garoth). Greg's model also has no name attached to it... It says in 1.20 who made Orphion's model, but, for example, I can't find out who designed him. There has to be someone in the wynncraft team that actually designs the characters, right? Someone who makes reference sheets kinda.

the attachment doesn't work
    anyways, I think that the biggest infringement of this is probably the grootslang worm. When I first saw it in the trailer I thought it looked like it was green screened in.
    But then I looked at a close-up and the textures are actually pretty good. The jaw specially isn't minecraft-y, but since the model is so big I think it's justified.
    I think that the main issue is that the grootslang is not only a bunch of armor stands strewn together, but also segmented. If it was an actual mob it might look alright.
    If I had to give my opinion, Arakadicus is the most vanilla-like remodel, with The Eye being the worst.

Let me talk a bit about my preferences in mods.
    The good: Mowzie's mobs
    A perfect example of a mod with bosses whose models are more on the complex side, but the textures blend perfectly, making them feel right at home in minecraft.

The bad: Ice and Fire
    Calling the art assets "bad" is a tad unfair, but I just don't mesh with them,
    Biggest offender is probably the Cyclops. I'd argue the textures are more problematic than the models.
    I think the dragons have nice models, but the textures could use some tweaks.

The ugly: Lycanites Mobs
    Awful. Kill it with fire.
    I can't tell what's worse, the textures or the models.
    No further comment needed.

Probably the most "ambitious" and complex model I can think of for a mod would be the wither storm from the mod by cracker.
    I do think that the model for the boss looks great, but that might be "cheating", since it's literally just a port of the wither storm from story mode, which is already a minecraft IP. (can't get more "minecraft-style" than that.)
    Even then, the "Netherite Monstrosity" is a mob based on the monstrosity bosses from MC dungeons, yet I think it looks bad.

I don't know if I really have a "take" on how models and textures should go. It's a case to case basis, really. The cubic designs do tend to get my favor more often than not, though.
    And as always, can't go wrong with Mowzie's mobs. Love that mod.

9. Deusphage

Deusphage gruesome grue Modeler CHAMPION Builder

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    me when
    Annihiltion, Tenebrous Alnamar, Effulgent Antibody, Bees, Beetles (darkloid, mustard), Boars (grey, brown, bush), Bonesy, Chickens (void, zombie), Cinderblossom, Cobwebs (black, gunk), Cockroaches, 9 Models I Wont Yet Name, Corrupted World Event Bosses (leader, overlord), Crystalline, Dernmites (larval, grown), Devils (Bighorn, Hulk, Chilly Hulk, Frozen Hulk, Imp, Eye), Dragonflies (lime, azure), Dynamite, Earthworms, False Figure, Fireflies (normal, fairyfly, fumefly), Fish (bass, carp, dernic, gudgeon, gylia, ice, koi, piranha, salmon, trout, void), The Other Model I Wont Name, Snowy Foxes, Constructs (goliath, leyline), Robots (marksman drone, war machine), Infection ad Infinitum (three phases), Irtitacks (normal, toxic), Kandrekk Spiritbinder, Lava Lilies, Lava Shit (humanoid, slime), Gargoyles (leyline), Little One, Lobster (cerulean crustacean), Longleg Gripper, Missiles, Mooshrooms (mooshroom, chlorophyll muncher), Nameless Anomaly illusory skull, Pearl Overwatch, Scarabs (black, crystal, fire, tomb), Shadowlings, Sheep (zombie), Skeletons (suburbs, burnt suburbs), Invading Toxin, Smoke Serpent, Snails (brown, sky), Snakes (rattler, sandy, viper, woody), Spewer, Spiders (cursed silk, red scale, sand crawler, spiderling), Squids (blue, orange, pale), Starfish (azure asteroidea), Shining Dawn, Sunfish, Termites (crawling, flying, interdimensional isoptera), Totems (both are secret), Void Grubs, Wolves (ashy, coyote, dire, dusky, fiery, The Secret One, husky, icy, musky, rusty, snowy, tuffy, stone tuffy), Zombies (dry, time valley, roaming, swamp, bushes).

unless i miscounted thats 130 models

cmosier, BethJerry and Elysium_ like this.
  10. Tzelofachad

Tzelofachad Owner of the Rift, manager of the Uz hotel HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    So now we have
    Mob totems
    Totem of tales
    Shaman totems
    Avos Animation totems
    AND secret totems?
    Grow up, that is obviously a joke and ALL volunteers are unpaid

Elysium_ and Galaxias like this.
  11. Samsam101

Samsam101 Star Walker GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    for the record, we each decide what we get put down for, everyone put down for "moral support" chose to be put down for "moral support"

upload_2024-7-30_23-28-39.png
    in 1.19 and 1.20, resource pack stuff wasn't taken as seriously. the role has been significantly expanded with 2.1, since it's now a bigger part of the content creation process than it ever was

concept artists come and go, i believe kio did some orphion concept art for 1.20, and milieus made concept art for their skins and stuff..? i dont believe there was one for 2.0 though, but we definitely do have a concept artist now. check out this concept art for the new rymek luke boss altar, for instance. credit to @Luxio
    [​IMG]

cmosier and Deusphage like this.
  12. Tzelofachad

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Common Deusphage W
    As common as Un-Id morph-stardusts in daily rewards (very common)

Elysium_ and Galaxias like this.
  13. Epic_Chonker

Epic_Chonker Well-Known Adventurer

guys i'm actually SOBBING. absolutely BAWLING.
    it was a joke, a JOKE i tell you!!1
    yeah, yeah. "It's not funny", I get it.
    but is it that hard to see I wasn't being serious?? from the fact I said the credits were "cooked", typing "VILE" in all caps, the redundancy from calling volunteers "unpaid", the funky way I edited the image...
    please, PLEASE. dont make me start using tone indicators, i BEG of you.

Alright, look, we're clearly on different wavelengths here. I would love to keep up this nice, healthy debate, but it seems I'm on borrowed time. (Uh oh! Thread gets locked...)
    But beneath whoever I may appear to be, I truly do find fascinating all these art thingamajigs. So if you wanna share some of your insight as a modeler with me on dms I'd love to hear it.

anyways, since i am clearly the smartest individual in the room (fact checked), i cannot go without having the final word. so here's my final counteragument. here's why orphions new design is EVIL and BAD and NOT GOOD.
    revelations.png

(Also thanks for crediting the models you made)

My god...
    Oh my god.
    This is it.
    I want EVERYONE from the content team immediately FIRED. Wynncraft has peaked.
    Oh, what's that? You want modelers?? You want builders??? You want CODERS?????
    No. No you don't. All USELESS.
    None's life's work compares to what I have witnessed here today.
    Go ahead and rid Wynncraft of its every staff member. Replace them with the brilliant who made this masterpiece.
    No more REMODELS. No more BOSSES. No more QUESTS.
    None of you simpletons can ever compare to the sheer majesty displayed by this work of art.
    I want EVERY. SINGLE. BLOCK. from Wynncraft GONE.
    Go ahead and replace all gameplay with a gallery of this singular image.

I'm sorry, I don't believe I can continue this post furthermore. I'd risk damaging my eletronics with the sheer stream of tears I am spewing right now. Tears of joy.

KingQwerty likes this.
  14. DrGREEN

DrGREEN wynncraft.wiki.gg is where its AT CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    Ok NOW what has this thread become?

I would also like to point out that all the best GUIs have a clear theme to what it is suppost to look like. The ability tree is clearly a stone tablet, the content book is a book[citation needed], and the esc menu is detlas. Even the paper inventory made sense although boring but you could tell what it was.

My point is, when the lootrun gui was added, it was just some colors and cool buttons, when compared to the ability tree, people couldn’t connect with the GUI because they don’t know what they are looking at. And now with the inventory GUI, I must say it looks cleaner and it matches the hot bar (which looks like a hot bar and it works because it matches the theme of the health mana and hot bar slots) but it doesn’t really look like anything so it is more difficult to connect with.

15. KingQwerty

KingQwerty Well-Known Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    Ok well now that all this drama is (hopefully) over, I really agree with the original criticisms of the UIs. They don’t have the retro indie fantasy aesthetic that I love about Wynncraft

DrGREEN likes this.
  16. DrGREEN

DrGREEN wynncraft.wiki.gg is where its AT CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    I’m a sucker for fantasy indie art :salted:

KingQwerty likes this.
  17. Tzelofachad

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    sorry about that, but you have been saying a lot of strange things, and we are all on high alert for people complaining about unpaid Volunteers being unethical somehow (this has happened). maybe DO use tone indicators, as it is difficult for us to understand!

Elysium_ likes this.
  18. CatFan105

CatFan105 Blue guy

Minecraft:
    This is a great quote in any possible context

KingQwerty likes this.
  19. Dr Zed

Dr Zed Famous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
  20. AmbassadorDazz

AmbassadorDazz Discord Killjoy Staff Member Moderator HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Thread locked to stop the argument from devolving into a flame war.

Crokee, SirBob27, dr_carlos and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.