Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

why the sprint bar is bad

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by turtletop, Dec 18, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turtletop

turtletop Well-Known Adventurer Builder

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    So. the sprint meter. it kinda sucks in its current state. Currently, it just exists as a restriction to stop people from sprinting too much, and really serves no purpose. Here's why I think the sprint meter is unnecessary and useless to Wynncraft.

1) it's connected to mana (wtf?)
    2) it breaks gameplay and does not allow for parkour

First, it's connected to mana. How in the world is sprint related to mana? They're two completely different systems.

For those who don't know, when you sprint too much, and your sprint bar runs out and turns red, you're still able to sprint. This is because the mana bar is also the hunger bar. When a player gets to 3 hunger, they are unable to sprint.

In Wynncraft, in order to stop the player from sprinting past the end of the sprint bar, mana is depleted from the player in order that they stop sprinting. (i assume the mana depletion is exponential so you can't run forever)

How. How? is mana related to sprinting? only because of the hunger bar? Makes sense if you were from the old days. Nowadays, we have many more features and things we can do to simulate this without punishing the player for sprinting too much (perhaps running sickness that gives you slowness for a few seconds idk)

This sucks because not only is it a punishment, the punishment isn't even related to what you do. A new player most likely would not understand the connection between the two, and it def shouldn't deplete mana.

Second, it breaks gameplay. Currently, the only reason for it to exist right now is to "not run too much." This by itself might be a good reason, but it falls short, as there is literally no reason to not run in Wynncraft.

In boss fights, the player is constantly sprinting to avoid attacks or avoid the boss. To evade oncoming attacks the player cannot sprint out of, use movement spells. To walk would be a death trap, to lose on purpose. (of course you could always use only walk with movement spells but that sounds like a yygamer challenge)

Want to go somewhere without fast travel? Run, or use movement spells. Just walking makes no sense, as it's just the slower version of sprinting without a bar.

For a new player, they can only sprint for such a distance until they run out of sprint, and then they just walk. Even with movement spells, the movement is slower, and walking is generally considered a nuisance, as a means for the sprint bar to recharge before going back to sprinting again.

It's even worse when you consider that if the player casts too many spells, the player can't sprint. Again, there is no correlation between the two systems other than that they both use the hunger bar.

For endgame players, the sprint bar is also just a nuisance. I've noticed that when I mage tp fly I don't realize that I've been pressing my sprint key and then I lose copious amounts of mana quickly, quickly making me suffer.

This feature also prevents parkour. Most jumps in dungeons require some sort of sprint to complete them, and it's all fun and games until your sprint bar runs out in the middle of a parkour. Then you need to wait, and this breaks gameplay which is NOT FUN. :(

so i guess a solution is just to remove the sprint bar

concern #1
    people will be able to sprint forever
    counterargument #1
    ok and

concern #2
    walking is useless and everyone will just sprint
    counterargument #2
    walking has always been useless, it just needs a use because the hunger bar doesn't exist in wynncraft (like more accurate attacks or something if you're not sprinting)

other idea: make sprint bar into stamina bar (idk how this'd work)

conclusion

no tl;dr

Mardeknius, Gogeta and Rythew like this.
  2. QKhanh2308

QKhanh2308 Well-Known Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    I want you to think for a second why going beyond your physical capabilities drains mana

ExertKarma, Ronnoc and Sir_Doomed like this.
  3. Selvut283

Selvut283 Circadian rhythm stuck on Tokyo time ♪ Music Item Team GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    man why don't they just remove the hunger bar in base minecraft too and let you run forever cause you always have to walk everywhere anyways

Zelli, Samsam101, Ronnoc and 2 others like this.
  4. Sar

Sar The Fire Archer CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I'm pretty sure you can run indefinately with enough mr.
    100 or so would be sufficiënt

5. ineedhelp

ineedhelp You need help?

im fairly certain the sprint bar is required for some reason or else the game breaks

6. dreamer101

dreamer101 Luto Aquarum enjoyer HERO

Minecraft:
    Before the sprint bar was added, sprinting used to drain mana directly. At that time, a lot more people were getting around with horses. In vanilla minecraft, sprinting is tied to the hunger bar, and in wynncraft, the hunger bar is used as the mana bar. So, mana and sprint are more or less forced to interact with eachother.

Ronnoc, 3: and Deusphage like this.
  7. Deusphage

Deusphage gruesome grue Modeler CHAMPION Builder

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Mana is hunger. We use mana (and thus hunger) because theres only two features in Minecraft that have the ability to prevent a player from sprinting, and that's a low hunger bar and blindness.
    You have LITERALLY said it's purpose. The purpose of a stamina meter, as it is in all games, is a balance feature to prevent you from evading combat or scaling walls constantly. Just like healing items, a hunger meter, or anything similar, it's an exhaustible resource that adds an element of basic management to gameplay, as well as some immersive aspects-- especially when it comes to features like hunger (which I am assuming Selvut is satirically joking about here)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
  8. ikako

ikako Skilled Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    the mana depletion is not exponential from what i can tell, in super long lootruns where you get essentially infinite mana with instant regen, i've been able to sprint endlessly

turtletop likes this.
  9. Elytry

Elytry Currently Spiralling (depression) VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    People are already evading combat and scaling walls constantly.
    If anything, the sprint bar just breaks immersion because it encourages you to movement spell around rather than take in your surroundings.

10. turtletop

turtletop Well-Known Adventurer Builder

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    except the difference is that hunger is connected to saturation, which controls the health bar
    and sprinting doesn't control the health bar or hunger bar it controls the MANA bar (the reskinned hunger bar which mana shouldn't be determined by how much the player runs or not) walking also drains the mana bar a lot slower than sprinting does

how in the world does wynncraft slow the player down with -ws? perhaps maybe wynncraft could just separate the two instead of connecting them because of a base minecraft mechanic?

mmm and you know what would make managing this "balance feature" easier? making the sprint bar visible when it's recharging so i know how much sprint i've got left! basically up to guessing when i have a full bar of sprint

if you narrow down the definition of stamina to only running yeah it is a stamina bar
    but like this is just a bar for sprinting only and not for other things like climbing or special attacks etc
    this might be a little unfair but you get my point. stamina isn't only for running, it's for physical exertion

probably but there has to be something better than this

i want to know why being at 1 hp increases my damage instead of making me so weak i can't cast spells or use my weapon anymore

11. TheAckening

TheAckening Local YIMBY

My feelings exactly, the sprint bar encourages me to use movement spells to avoid enemies rather than try to move past them more directly. I understand that a sprint bar is for immersion and to limit the player to an extent, but the existence of movement spells nullifies those effects.

Elysium_ and turtletop like this.
  12. Deusphage

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    It's a joke. Selvut is saying that if you want to remove stamina you might as well remove hunger from the base game.

It is genuinely difficult to discern if you're being satirical or not. Firstly, I didn't say slow the player down I said prevent them from sprinting. Giving a player the slowness potion effect or a negative speed attribute doesn't bar a player from sprinting like blindness or starving does.
    I have told you repeatedly why we can't use a bossbar for it but you have just opted to ignore me to the point I feel like I can't express anything but anger talking to you. I will reiterate again:
    Minecraft only supports 4 boss bars being on screen at a time. 1 is used by guild territories and active bombs. 1 is used by target mob stats. 1 is used by archetype abilities (sacred surge and similar) and 1 is used by minigames.
    Adding this to a bossbar wouldn't fix the issue you keep talking about. It would still have to rotate between sprint information and other information, just as it does in your actionbar where it'll show your coordinates and what direction you're facing if you're not actively draining your stamina.

I DONT KNOW, MAYBE BECAUSE THATS THE GIMMICK OF RAGE AND CORRUPTION?
    Your lack of game knowledge, both the base game and wynncraft, kind of shows in these posts. I feel a lot of the stuff people have pointed out wouldn't work you'd know wouldn't work if you had spent a little bit of time researching the game.
    I really didn't want to explode like this but when you keep saying across two discords and the forums "we can just do this" despite me and others saying it doesn't work that way it's infuriating. It feels like you completely disregard everything people have said about this already.
    The fact that Mana is a finite (but replenishing) resource alone kind of completely uproots this argument. You don't have infinite mana, and while you get more mana and more sustain as you get deeper into the game, you still cannot cast movement spells forever, even with Warp or Idol.
    "Evading combat and scaling walls constantly" is a feature exclusive to the later parts of the game. Using a spell to move around isn't immersion breaking, you are literally using an ability. By your logic casting meteor as mage ruins the immersion because it would be "immersive" to slowly melee attack the enemy to death.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
    Sar likes this.
  13. QKhanh2308

QKhanh2308 Well-Known Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    Earth Powder increases your damage the lower health you are so magic is altering physical conditions

As far as I know nobody has tried to alter sprint before, so it is a plot hole and content team should make a quest about someone wanting to run fast but when they cast the spell and run their body explodes midway and you just stand there assuming sprint magic is dangerous and never to experiment with it ever again
    (or the guy makes you get 20% sprint bar as reward)

14. 100klemonreimu

100klemonreimu Poison Warrior Supermacy

Minecraft:
    I'd say low leveled characters deserve as much if not more sprint, since they may not have good horse or good mana sustain.

Gogeta, Elysium_ and Elytry like this.
  15. Elytry

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    You can as long as you have two spells unlocked.
    It is not in fact exclusive to later parts of the game. "Using a spell to move around isn't immersion breaking, you are literally using an ability" to skip cool builds, structures, terrain, and all sorts of other things. I love exploring around the world of Wynncraft, but the sprint bar kind of just makes it impossible to enjoy traveling on foot.
    "By your logic casting meteor as mage ruins the immersion because it would be 'immersive' to slowly melee attack the enemy to death."
    My logic is that movement spells cause you to miss large parts of the world, horses are expensive, and walking with the sprint bar is simply inviable. This LITERALLY HAS NOTHING to do with combat, which is different from exploring. Comparing the two seems illogical here.

Elysium_ likes this.
  16. Deusphage

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    You are saying that movement spells break immersion because you're not seeing the world. Killing mobs fast is therefore also breaking immersion because you're not seeing their models.

17. TheLMiffy1111

TheLMiffy1111 Previous Leader Of A Revived Wynn Community CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    If you merge the guild bar, the bomb bar, and the minigame bar into an info bar, you can reduce it to 3 bars

Also, there is actually no hard limit to the number of boss bars
    The actual limit is up to 1/3 of the height of the screen

There being only 4 boss bars probably only happens when you set GUI scale to auto or the option after that, and I don't know how one could play Wynncraft on that GUI scale, since Wynncraft's useful items can have very long tooltips

Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
  18. Xae

Xae Skilled Adventurer

Damn i didnt know climbing was a feature

19. Elytry

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    (I play on GUI Scale Auto, I just change it to read items.)

20. uuuuuuuuuuuuh

uuuuuuuuuuuuh Giveaway enjoyer

I mean even if sprint was infinite players would still use their spells cause it's faster. Also horses exist and they kind of serve as an infinite sprint already.

Deusphage likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.