Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

SPOILER What are your hopes and worries for Fruma?

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by WithTheFish, Nov 10, 2023.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mardeknius

Mardeknius Architect of the Realm Item Team HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Just clarifying - so, canonically, killing a boss easily (even with canonically powerful items (see: collapse, etc)) doesn’t actually mean that the player’s that powerful?

Icy likes this.
  2. TheLMiffy1111

TheLMiffy1111 Previous Leader Of A Revived Wynn Community CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    a place surrounded by mountains
    yes that would be better
    even better would be to put the wall like 20 blocks before the abyss

3. DrGREEN

DrGREEN wynncraft.wiki.gg is where its AT CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    I mean it would be slightly easier to expand the map but LITERALLY WHY

4. Dr Zed

Dr Zed Famous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    I know you’re being sarcastic, but I always thought to myself why the edges of the map aren’t just ocean with a flat barrier wall with more ocean on the other side. It would make the world feel more cohesive imo.

5. Pumpkinn

Pumpkinn Well-Known Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    Wynncraft hates ocean content so just adding more ocean would make them sad so they added mountains.
    Honestly the mountains is one of the best solutions for the edge of the world, having an ocean could also work.

Gogeta, MlecznyHuxel99 and Dr Zed like this.
  6. Tzelofachad

Tzelofachad Owner of the Rift, manager of the Uz hotel HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    that is so overdone, like wit mountains, at least it feels like lorewise, your characte just can't go up a steep slope. Why in TARNATION would there canonically be a magic wall in an OCEAN that our character, who can SWIM, can suddenly NOT swim, like why can i not keep swimming. I hate ocean walls.

Elysium_ and Elytry like this.
  7. Elytry

Elytry Fractal VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    magic!

8. uuuuuuuuuuuuh

uuuuuuuuuuuuh Giveaway enjoyer

Always thought that the wynncraft world was a huge floating island surrounded by void so the ocean could just.. drop into it Instead of magic barrier? May be wrong Abt wynncraft's cosmology but whatev

9. ThePurpleEmerald

ThePurpleEmerald Famous Adventurer

I gotta be honest after all the planetary globes we see in buildings and ships it would be really funny if the Wynncraft world was eventually revealed to not actually be a planet

10. block36_

block36_ Well-Known Adventurer Builder

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    And how do we do an underwater barrier?

Personally if I were making the design I'd put it all on a ton of floating islands, or a massive plateau over something deadly.

11. Dr Zed

Dr Zed Famous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    As far as I know there isn’t a canon reason why you can’t climb up or go around mountains. Our character can jump like 50 feet with archer alone and humans have managed to climb mountains in ancient times without modern equipment, let alone magic.

Whereas it’s much more realistic that you die from exhaustion or hypothermia from swimming too long in the ocean. Or you run out of supplies or your ship runs into a storm or something. The Americas were isolated for literal thousands of years from the West after the Bering land bridge was submerged. Whereas in Europe itself there are mountain ranges from the Alps to the Pyrenees to the Urals. So if you’re gonna argue that mountains are more restrictive and isolating than oceans in a realistic sense, then that’s not true. Of course it’s okay to still prefer the mountain barrier, but it’s silly to argue that the ocean barrier is “unrealistic” or “uncanonical” in a fantasy block game.

Just extend the wall of barrier blocks underneath the water until it hits the ocean floor.

If that feels too restrictive or uncreative, I would propose that instead of any actual barrier, you just have the player teleport to the opposite side of the map (all of the edges of the map are still ocean FYI). Similar to in Don’t Starve Shipwrecked. That way it simulates “sailing around the world” so it feels more natural and less arbitrarily restricted.

One more minor thing; I also feel that with mountains, you know that there has to be more land on the other side. So it feels that the map is always teasing that there is more to the world. But we all know that Fruma is (probably) going to be the last province in the overworld. So it also feels like we will never know what is beyond the mountain ranges of Gavel, the ocean, and the other side of Wynn not adjacent to Fruma.

Whereas if the edges of the map were all ocean, then at least the map could be considered the whole world of Wynncraft without leaving any more major continents/islands to find. But it would be just as flexible bc the CT could still just add more in the future by expanding the ocean border.

Idk if that made any sense. Just wanted to clarify why I have this minor preference to begin with.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
  12. Deusphage

Deusphage gruesome grue Modeler CHAMPION Builder

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Yeah. Gameplay isn't synchronous with story. The player being able to obliterate powerful story characters in 3 seconds is not at all canon. The Eye is an incredibly, incredibly powerful entity, and in Fantastic Voyage you can see it basically leave you within an inch of your life

Earthbrine and Mardeknius like this.
  13. Samsam101

Samsam101 Star Walker GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    i agree but i dont like how the water would just cut off for like a block-width of wall, would have to do some clientside fuckery to get it to look nice and that could still lead to issues

Dr Zed likes this.
  14. Tzelofachad

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I like this ^^^^, but this
    doesn't make sense, sure you can't swim infinitely, except that you CAN swim infinitely anywhere else in the ocean, storms don't appear, and it's not like gradual, you can swim infinitely perfectly like a demigod, until this ONE RANDOM SPECIFIC POINT where you can for some reason. For a mountain, it makes sense because if you imagine the mountain to be a sheer cliff wall, it would be more realistic that you cannot climb up that, but in MINECRAFT, A SHEER WALL IS UGLY, so the builders made it look like it did. Also
    applies to mountains more so.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
  15. Elytry

Elytry Fractal VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    The fruma thread is now the map border thread.

16. Deusphage

Deusphage gruesome grue Modeler CHAMPION Builder

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    When it comes to a non terrain ocean border, it can just be that it's part of the ocean that the mages didn't calm.

Bwitty03 likes this.
  17. Tzelofachad

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    ooh maybe instead of barriers there is knockback that says: a powerful wind pushes you back, or a powerful current sweeps you back, and that way it feels realistic that instead of a magic wall, this part is rough and untamed, and even though you CAN try to struggle and press on, eventually even the strongest must fall back against the power of the elements. Idk feels better lorewise, gameplay wise, and "avoiding cliche" wise than a barrier wall. You prolly already thought of it but sounds fun anyway.

18. Salted

Salted Game Design & Wynncraft Founder Staff Member Admin GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    i have some bad news y'all, fruma will be a basin. it's just a good way to direct players away from the edges without unexpectedly hitting a wall. it's the best method for gameplay we got so that's what we'll use

19. CatFan105

CatFan105 Blue guy

Minecraft:
    I’ve wondered why they don’t just have that as the reasoning behind not being able to leave the ocean between Wynn and gavel
    Though I suppose mountains might look nicer

20. xKar

xKar hello wants up CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    been playing since 2014, finally seeing the player's origin after a decade is very exciting.
    i am hopeful for the lore around the queen and around the whole brainwash and deportation methods in use, but i do have to say, i am worried about the size of the province.
    it was mentioned by salted last year that yes it appears small but the space will be utilized well since its not mountainous, but i just can't help but think of how much can you really fit in there? especially for something so major to the story and to the game.
    i guess the nostalgic part of me just wants new land as big as wynn or gavel again.
    i do not care about the rectangle dream, and i think it's a bad idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.