Dismiss Notice
Want to stay up to date with Wynncraft? Follow us on twitter (@Wynncraft) and join our discord for fastest news, exclusive sneak peeks of future updates, store giveaways & more!
Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Announcement 10 Years of Development

Discussion in 'News & Patches' started by Salted, Apr 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salted

Salted Game Design & Wynncraft Founder Staff Member Admin GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    Hey y'all! Wynncraft will be 10 years old on the 29th, incredible! I thought it was a good opportunity to dig through my old screenshots and plans and make a gigantic thread with everything I can find. Some of those were shared before, but there's also a lot of new ones. You can also check out the Ability Tree Making-Of thread if that kind of behind-the-scene stuff interests you.

At the beginning, we secretly worked on Wynncraft on our old CraftedMovie community server. So because of that, you might see some slightly inappropriate chat messages here and there. Sorry about that.

Let's get started!

2012-2013

Making of Ragni. This is the oldest screenshot I have. Taken somewhere between late 2012 to early 2013

[​IMG]

The Ragni gate, the first real completed build. I planned to take this nice screenshot during a sunrise... too bad I also got a potion particle in the way to forever ruin it.

[​IMG]

Detlas after being pasted. This was done before we even finished Ragni. To find the right spot for it, I simply walked from Ragni in a straight line for exactly 5 minutes. It's still the same location today, you can try it right now and see that walking at normal speed from Ragni to Detlas will take exactly 5 minutes and is a straight line for the most part. It's a small thing, but it really set the overall scale of the province.

[​IMG]

Making some trees for the Emerald Trail. The blocks you see in the back were to mark the start of the Nivla Forest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first Wynncraft mob ever implemented! This zombie was lifeless and couldn't move, but it was still an exciting moment. You can tell I knew it was special because I went into F1 mode to hide the HUD for it.

[​IMG]

The first lobby. From @WithTheFish thread

[​IMG]

Extremely old and rough plans for the early Wynn Province. We had a running gag to call everything "The Great X" back then before we had official names. I promise we weren't THAT bad at world building, just a little bit.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Early work on Nemract

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Early plans for the trading system, apparently taken on the 15th of January 2013 at 2:21 PM

[​IMG]

Early work on Almuj. For the most part, this version of the town still stands today.

[​IMG]

Pigmen Ravines

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very old version of the Animal Dungeon (now Lost Sanctuary). Not one of our finest work, probably because I helped build it.

[​IMG]

Immature shenanigans. Taken on the 17th of March 2013 at 10:42 PM.

[​IMG]

Working hard on the Zombie Dungeon entrance (now Underworld Crypt)

[​IMG]

Second lobby, probably the most remembered one.

[​IMG]

Working on swarms. The amount of mobs was legitimately problematic as we had no way to make ourselves invincible. We ended up getting stuck in a death loop for a while.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Working on the VIP Town (RIP)

[​IMG]

Probably Troms?

[​IMG]

Definitely Troms

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Making silly faces on a statue in the desert. Likely the Emerald Labyrinth or the Mummy's Tomb.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We used to use regular vanilla maps to get an overview of the whole world. It was miserable.

[​IMG]

Working on the old Dernic Island.

[​IMG]

Working on Bob's arena.

[​IMG]

To finish this, here's the announcement post on the old CraftedMovie forums. It's hard to pin-point the exact release date of Wynncraft, as we had a closed beta, open beta and the official video announcement. But for the most part this is considered the actual release. From that point on, Wynncraft was accessible to everyone and never closed.

[​IMG]

From now on, I do have the exact time each screenshots were taken.

24th of October 2014 at 7:46 PM. Mock-up of the compass menu with the new Wizard Fortress minigame

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plans for Wizard Fortress

[​IMG]

I don't know why I screenshoted that but here it is. It's just me asking a dev a random question about a brand new Minecraft feature on the 29th of October 2014 at 2:57 PM

[​IMG]

Plans for a sub-class/archetype system back on the 11th of November 2014 at 2:28 PM. This was a long time coming! These were just random ideas for the sake of the mock-up, don't read too much into it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Likely plans for the Relic Shrine locations. 12th of November 2014 at 12:34 PM

[​IMG]

Now that's a more interesting one. The unfinished Gavel map from the 13th of November 2014 at 7:41 PM

[​IMG]

Plans for a Guild Bank back on the 20th of November 2014 at 11:18 AM. Another feature that took 6 years to come out.

[​IMG]

Testing Guilds on the 21st of November 2014 at 8:49 PM. Some of the oldest parts of the code uses the CraftedMovie name, as we didn't have a name for the game yet.

[​IMG]

Plans for Guild Territory locations.

[​IMG]

We were so young and naive...

[​IMG]

I took a LOT of screenshots during the development of the new item system as I was trying a lot of different things. The current item design seems obvious now, but it really wasn't back then. Not only did we have less tools, but the Minecraft servers space back then also wasn't very advanced on the design department. We had to figure out a good hierarchy of information, what to emphasize, what to deemphasize, what information to group, etc.

They are in no particular order and were taken between the 4th of February 2015 to the 21st.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Earliest plan for the entire Gavel Province

[​IMG]

Design for the holograms when hitting mobs and the new compass menu

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Screenshots of my server list on the 23rd of March 2015, at 2:13 PM, 6:22 PM and 10:08 PM. You can see Hypixel at around 8000 players back then.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Artwork of a potential new Wynncraft logo we never used.

[​IMG]

A more complete Gavel on the 12nd of April 2015, 10:55 PM. The release date was getting closer! (yet still far)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Plans for a profession system. Boy making this thread is really making me realize how long it takes us to add these new features. Taken on the 13th of April 2015 at 11:52 PM.

[​IMG]

Mock-up of the new website redesign we were working on. It ended up looking almost the exact same. 14th of May 2015, 01:16 AM.

[​IMG]

Idea for the Warrior's pose. It didn't feel grand enough.

[​IMG]

Other drafts of the new class arts we were working on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next screenshots are all during the development of the Wynnpack as we were trying different textures and colours! The grass texture is the one who took the longest. We had to make sure it was perfect, since grass is everywhere in the game.

It was truly a magical moment once we had a nearly finished pack. It made the game look so different and so unique. No other large Minecraft servers were using that at the time, at least nowhere near that scale.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Trying out ways to show health and mana

[​IMG]

Working on the Colossus.

[​IMG]

Plans for the Sky Islands

[​IMG]

I believe this one is me editing a Gavel announcement trailer at 1 AM. Unsure if I ever finished it. As a bonus, you can see everything else that was open on my PC at the time, and even a glimpse of the new website homepage art as my desktop background. This is probably an accidental screenshot since both of my displays are in it.

[​IMG]

Almost final version of the new item system! Taken a little more than a month before release.

[​IMG]

Gavel is out! Everyone is online!

Likely taken in the middle of the night less than an hour after release, or the next morning. It felt awesome to finally be done with it!

[​IMG]

Working on the Rymek/Ternaves border

[​IMG]

2016-2019

Gavel was now finally out! Unfortunately, I don't have as many screenshots from that time up to now. Thankfully @Hams does!

Here's us coming up with new names for the dungeons

[​IMG]

Testing out the new crate system. It wasn't working very well.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Not only could we not code properly, but we also couldn't spell properly. 30th October 2016 at 4:36 PM.

[​IMG]

The next screenshots are all Corkus during development and rough plans.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Working on the new lobby!

[​IMG]

Working on the new profession system, more specifically the trees. 9th of June 2018 at 10:55 AM

[​IMG]

Working on the DnD throne room. (I think)

[​IMG]

The great flood of 2019. Someone accidentally set the whole world underwater. It looked kinda cool at times.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Working on the Silent Expanse

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This is a little bit of a bonus! We recently reworked our website, here are the mock-up plans done for that and for the special 2.0 page we made when the trailer released.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all I got! Working on Wynncraft for 10 years has given me much too many grey hair for someone under 30, but I wouldn't want it any other way. It's by far the best job in the world. Thanks for sticking with us all this time, here's to another 10 years!

Yes I am also currently taking many screenshots of the development of Fruma. Maybe in 10 years I'll share them!

Je Hooft, wxhlf, Elysium_ and 151 others like this.
  2. King_Eggplant

King_Eggplant The Mt. Wynn Inn Keeper CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Oh my goodness gracious me

3. DrBracewell

DrBracewell Famous Adventurer CT Manager QA Modeler GM CMD CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    thank you salted, very cool!

hmtn, ZockerCam, luckeyLuuk and 9 others like this.
  4. basementbob

basementbob God of Corkus and Meme Land CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    It's insane to me that I've been playing on this server since 29th May 2014. The years have truly flown by. Thank you so much Salted for giving me such a unique experience in my childhood.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
    Aya, Dr Zed, Nukewarmachine and 3 others like this.
  5. fey

fey *places pixels on you* CT Manager Modeler ✎ Artist CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    you are getting old salted

6. Samsam101

Samsam101 Star Walker GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    this is truly wynncraft

hmtn, Hansel, PlasmaWarrior and 2 others like this.
  7. Salted

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    that explains the grey hair

luckeyLuuk, AlanGreyson, Aya and 13 others like this.
  8. ENORMOUZ

ENORMOUZ Skilled Adventurer CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    whoo yea baby

PlasmaWarrior likes this.
  9. Triflame

Triflame the 69% man CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    let's hope nothing bad happens on the trade market this day

Hansel likes this.
  10. SmileyAlec

SmileyAlec Olympic Gaming CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    wow it has really been 10 years
    congrats y'all

I joined in 2014 back when I was still a kid with a shitty laptop and now I'm an adult
    I put an insane amount of time into this server and it's safe to say wynncraft was a huge part of me growing up

I met a ton of cool people, learned a lot of new things along the way and all in all, I've had a good time here

to commemorate this occassion I'd like to show you what is apparantly the first ever screenshot I've taken on wynncraft
    [​IMG]

I had to bust out the old laptop to find this one lol
    these are the 2 people that introduced me to wynncraft, and here we are right after finally getting access to the almuj bank
    the screenshot was taken 24 days after I joined the server for the first time

It's cool to see wynncraft is still around even after all these years and I'm curious to see how long wynncraft will last

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
    Stag2001, Iboju, luckeyLuuk and 9 others like this.
  11. RamonaFlowers

RamonaFlowers Subspace Delivery Girl CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Happy to have been a part of it :)

12. Linnyflower

Linnyflower ironman btw Item Team HICH Master CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    wow no way. 10 years

Hansel, PlasmaWarrior and Deusphage like this.
  13. Calluum

Calluum Cal CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    oh my goobly gosh

Hansel and PlasmaWarrior like this.
  14. Gelbin

Gelbin Bring back Shoutbox (And Craftedmovie)

Guild:
    Literally the second craftedmovie

15. Salted

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    can you believe it? 10 years, just a week away!

luckeyLuuk, ReReverse, Aya and 15 others like this.
  16. Gustaf

Gustaf Veteran or something HERO

Minecraft:
    Time flies, way too fast.

17. thatswhatido

thatswhatido Supreme Wynncraft Player thatswhatido CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Glad to be apart of Wynn throughout the years

18. Castti

Castti Kookie HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I cant lie, you should definitely do more of this stuff in the future!!! Seeing behind the scenes Wynn progress after the content is released has always been super cool, and I'd genuinely like to see more of this down the line!

luckeyLuuk, ReReverse, Krooza and 5 others like this.
  19. _Unbeatable_

_Unbeatable_ Well-Known Adventurer CHAMPION Builder

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    Incredible

20. IceHorror

IceHorror Wynncraft Architect CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    me when there's still left overs from the floob of 2019 ;-;

#water-chess-board